• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Wanderer5

Just played through the Baba Yaga dlc, haven't finished the main game yet though. Is that bug with it locking you out of the voice of god tomb still present?

Beyond that, thought the baba yaga story and such was significantly better than the entirety of the 2013 reboot. I did run into what I think is a bug, Nadia's mouth doesn't move, ever. The cutscenes with her, she just kept her mouth shut as the audio played lol

But anywho, that final battle was friggen rad!

I don't think any of the characters during baba yaga's cutscenes moved their mouths.

krae_man

Wow, there is so much to do in this game.

Some of the optional stuff could do a better job of warning you that you don't have the right equipment sooner.

There was one in a mine where I think I need explosives to continue, I saw a yellow glowing wall I needed to do something with but it never told me anything either way like "I don't have what I need here" or "maybe I can figure out a way to do X", nothing.

I also encountered a funny AI fuck up. In the first battle with riot shield dudes, one guy kept throwing grenades and killed all his friends. I only had to kill him:lol

Eblo

I also encountered a funny AI fuck up. In the first battle with riot shield dudes, one guy kept throwing grenades and killed all his friends. I only had to kill him:lol

This happened to me several times over the course of the game lol. Once or twice I struggled to properly deal with a lone shielder because I usually relied on friendly fire explosives to take them out.

Didn't get a chance to check out yet but does the PC version have the classic skins or is it just the PS4? I wanna try those skins bit refuse to pay for another copy.

Javin98

Banned
I played the game on PC, but I must say while the story is fairly mediocre even by video game standards (playing UC4 just months ago didn't help), I actually think the story is a step up from the previous game. At the very least, we don't have to deal with ludonarrative dissonance of Lara being wimpy after her first kill then goes full on killing machine a minute later. With the great facial animations and generally good (better than the last game, at least) voice acting, some scenes really felt tense. The setting is also more interesting IMO.

However, I'm still not a fan of how Lara is characterized. Not nearly as much as the reboot, but IMO, she still feels like the character for players to protect and wank over instead of a truly strong and interesting female character. Outfit and some unnecessary scenes aside, I think it's even arguable that Quiet is a more interesting female character.

The input lag is atrocious. There's no other way to put it. Do not let others fool you when they say the lag is ignorable if you are sensitive for this kind of thing.

I had one combat encounter with armored enemies that had me dying multiple times.

A clear example is; you see an enemy running, you decide to put the crosshair a little in front of the enemy in order to hit him. That usually works in most games, right? Not in this one. Because of the input lag the enemy is almost impossible to hit.

Does it ruin the fun? In my case, it does not. The combat encounters have been quite minimal so far, and the platforming and exploring is what puts this game above U4 for me. I just find it more fun, not better per se.

The input lag is atrocious. There's no other way to put it. Do not let others fool you when they say the lag is ignorable if you are sensitive for this kind of thing.

I had one combat encounter with armored enemies that had me dying multiple times.

A clear example is; you see an enemy running, you decide to put the crosshair a little in front of the enemy in order to hit him. That usually works in most games, right? Not in this one. Because of the input lag the enemy is almost impossible to hit.

Does it ruin the fun? In my case, it does not. The combat encounters have been quite minimal so far, and the platforming and exploring is what puts this game above U4 for me. I just find it more fun, not better per se.

Later on when the combat significantly ramps up the aiming becomes really unbearable. It's borderline broken.

Also, have fun trying to shoot a tiny bunny moving around.

whoszed

Everyone in this thread but one person

Just had a weird bug where you couldn't aim or move the camera at all. Completely dead haha.

Really? I haven't actually read other comments saying the aiming reticle turns slower one way and normal speed the other. The input lag alone wouldn't bother me that much, but having to readjust my aiming between two different speeds on the X axis is awful.

Hanmik

I'm glad it's not just me! I haven't seen anyone else complain about it so figured I was one of very few. I was getting it in the caves but that passed pretty quickly. What really got me was in a relatively open area, I was looking for a tomb using survival instinct, and I was running all over trying to figure out where the entrance was. Because I was turning the camera and going back and forth it made me really quite sick and it lasted a good hour. I tried again later in the day and had the same thing. So I think I need a longer break. And then maybe not explore so much.

was playing a lot last night. I wasn't bothered at all.
But my wife was watching, and she told me that she was getting sick from watching me play it.. the camera made her physically ill. First game (besides some FPS games), where I have ever heard her say this.

Arklite

^ Is all this camera sickness due to the FOV, the framerate, or the auto centering that keeps moving the camera? If it's the auto centering you can turn it off in the gameplay settings.

Jennipeg

^ Is all this camera sickness due to the FOV, the framerate, or the auto centering that keeps moving the camera? If it's the auto centering you can turn it off in the gameplay settings.

I'm not sure, but I will definitely try this. It never occurred to me that it could be turned off. Thanks for mentioning this, it could make a big difference for me.

Edit: I can't see the option to change the camera in the options menu. Am I looking in the right place?

I just installed the game yesterday and did a quick-look through the menus, but how do I get into the PS VR section?

I'm waiting on the PS4 Pro before play through the Campaign. And hopefully the input lag gets addressed.

Arklite

I'm not sure, but I will definitely try this. It never occurred to me that it could be turned off. Thanks for mentioning this, it could make a big difference for me.

Edit: I can't see the option to change the camera in the options menu. Am I looking in the right place?

On PC it is Options > Gameplay >

iPxKqyV.png

very bottom is auto-center

Baba Yaga was okay but I'd have been pissed if I paid actual money for it back in the day.

I'd been waiting for a sale on it. It never went on sale, though, and I got this version as a gift so I guess I won't buy it for the other.

I'd heard decent things.

(I'm still early on in this campaign, so I've yet to play Baba Yaga at all. I beat the game before.)

firelogic

That's 3 of us, we should form a support group lol.

Yes we definitely should!

Could be all of the above but more likely the camera shake and the auto-centering camera. The camera is shaking more often than not. Even if you're standing still and the area is windy. When you're at base camp, the camera shakes and zooms in and out for absolutely no reason. In cutscenes where two characters are sitting in chairs, the camera shakes.

And then when you're climbing, more specifically, sidling along ledges, the auto-centering camera keeps swaying the camera heavily side to side. When you go through crevices it zooms in and out nauseatingly.

Plus the input lag doesn't help either because my brain thinks I'm moving somewhere but there's a delay.

I hope that on their next game, the camera designer at least puts in an option to turn on/off all camera related effects. Or realizes that camera shake is obnoxious and doesn't add any realism to their product. Give me a nice steady cam and wide frames any day.

Aiming feels quite weird in PS4 version as well.... never played it on XBO but I'm really struggling with it at time and it's kinda annoying. Doesn't feel as smooth as DE.

Jhn

I hope that on their next game, the camera designer at least puts in an option to turn on/off all camera related effects. Or realizes that camera shake is obnoxious and doesn't add any realism to their product. Give me a nice steady cam and wide frames any day.

Frustratingly, the PC guys seem to have the option to disable all of that stuff. I see no good reason those aren't in the PS4 version, but that's how it is. If I weren't already at saturated annoyance levels from the input lag and deadzone, the auto-centering camera would drive me crazy.

Mediking

If you're gonna have Lara do narration at campsites then AT LEAST have her showcase her personality then!!! What does she really think about Jonah? Exploring? Damn! Too much potential! Stop with the dry commentary.

Staf

What's with all the cards in the 'shop'? Got like 15 of them, opened them all and have zero clue what any of the stuff are for...

ced

Decided to go ahead and start this instead of waiting for a PS4 Pro.

I was worried about the dead zone/input lag whatever, but luckily it didn't bother me too much, but it is very weird and does feel bad.

Out of all the bitching no one really actually tested it. When you first start in Siberia, it's like the dead zone is set way too big, but if you draw your pistol it changes to being much more tight. I also noticed when starting Syria that it is also much tighter even without a weapon drawn. So maybe it is weird input lag depending on the performance of the area.

Anyways, I'm loving this so far, so much more enjoyable than Uncharted 4 for me.

Also desperately needs an option on PS4 to disable camera auto center, goddamn it's bad.

I didn't receive any answers a few pages back, but does anyone know how to start the PS VR mode? There's a message the briefly discusses it when the game is first fired up, but it reads like you have to unlock it via Campaign first. Is this true?

GeoramA

Holy fuck the story is shockingly bad. Like walking out the theater bad.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it. There's so much to do.

Wanderer5

New update on Steam, and Valiant Explorer is now available on PC.:D Hope this fixes the classic outfit cards issue too, but doesn't seem like it.

The Valiant Explorer Pack is now granted to all Season Pass holders.
Fixed a problem where incorrect achievements were unlocked.
Fixed the Season Pass description on the Marketplace.
Reduced stutters when playing in DX12, especially when playing Croft Manor.
A variety of other smaller optimizations, bug-fixes, and tweaks.

jediyoshi

rise of the tomb raider's a year old+ game. i'm thinking that, at this point, what you see is what you get. there will be no 'fixing' :) ...

The PC version has had 10 patches since release with the last one being less than an hour ago. They're probably not afraid to update the game.

hbkdx12

I'm nearing the tail end of the game. Just encountered
the deathless ones

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that the guns feel and sound awful. Possibly the worst i've ever experienced and im not even talking about the input lag. It was like this in the reboot as well but it kind of got a pass because the game made you feel like you were collecting makeshift parts for your guns as you progressed. That's sort of present here with you getting various parts to a gun from crypts and strongboxes but why does my military rifle that i BOUGHT with money sound like im shooting tin foil? It makes no sense. It doesn't help that the sound comes out of the DS4 and adds to the subpar sound effects

One thing i really love about this game is the pacing as far as gameplay. I generally feel like im always doing something interesting even if im not in a shootout. It kind of feels like the pacing of Uncharted 4 where you go pretty decent stretches with no combat but in RISE, you feel like those moments presents you with more player agency as far as exploring and therefore feels more interesting

That being said, the story here feels almost like a complete rip from the reboot.

I also like how intuitive the crafting system is.

Montresor

Wow... The newest added difficulty setting is so unforgiving in
Syria

I'm going to buy the new DLC on XB1 but I don't think I'll attempt the newest difficulty.

I'm really really excited to try Blood Ties + Lara's Nightmare though.

Can you let me know what's killing you in that area? Is it jumping / environmental deaths? Or are enemies killing you?

Finished the game a few hours ago.

I think I've already said all I wanted to say so I don't have much to add. Overall the game was pretty good. In most parts better than TR2013 sans the controls and story (both were meh on story front but this one was really bad).

Oh, just one thing about the final parts of the game.
That last big gun fight before helicopter boss (which I wasn't a fan of btw) was pretty much identical to TR2013 lol

Even down to the snowy environment and circle like pathway with stones and pillars as cover. That was pretty disappointing imo

Anyway, if you liked TR2013 then definitely check this one out. Well, maybe not at full price but I think $30-$35 would be a good deal if you can wait for a price cut/sale.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. Traversal and platforming is really fun in this game and tombs are much better. So big props for those.

Mediking

I just got to the fire camp at the something Installation. Exploring is so good in this huge area. I got Lara wearing a cool battle outfit too.

Peterthumpa

I had the game but it's been a while since playing it on PC, even uninstalled it. Did the recent patches somehow increased the AA quality?

'Cause holy shit, even @ 4K I can still see shimmering and aliasing almost everywhere.
If not, is there an external solution that works better, like Reshade or some other injector?

jbortz78

Having a good time with the game, but my god the aiming is awful, and all thxs to that extreme deadzone and weird acceleration...!

I remember really liking the combat in the previous one, and here I almost turn of the game when there are enemies and I cant rely on stealth.

Really hope they fix this, but not keeping my hopes up.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For all those having input lag problems, try throwing a chicken up and hitting it before it hits the ground, I honestly thought there would be trophy for that lol

Top Bottom