• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

_RT_

I really enjoyed the previous installment and I'm enjoying this one as well.
That being said.... I'm not a huge tech person when it comes to explaining issues, but I came to this thread to see if I was missing something about the controls.
Seems like something has changed.

Disappointing.

The combat is so frustrating in this version. I'm not nearly as fluid as I was last time.

I just stopped playing at the part where you pass a
giant Prophet statue and have to defend some village
. The forced gunfights and combat scenarios are really getting on my nerve because of shitty controls, and I know its going to get worse. I'll return it and see how it performs on Pro before picking it up again (hopefully cheaper).

Those optional tombs were just as disappointing as last time though? I found no challenge this time around whatsoever... they're basically just as easy in a bigger area. Some were cool though.

Arklite

Those optional tombs were just as disappointing as last time though? I found no challenge this time around whatsoever... they're basically just as easy in a bigger area. Some were cool though.

True, though they managed to hit a sweet spot that works with the predominant action pacing they're going for. Huge improvement in tomb aesthetic design and puzzle components compared to TR '13 without hindering the pacing. Mild puzzles but engaging tombs will probably continue to be the case with following games.

q4roel

Is it me or is the melee system seriously broken? Whenever I try to melee myself out of a situation, there may appear a "finish him" prompt over an enemy's head. Whenever I try to finish the kill, Lara starts strangling him for several seconds, and then puts the guy on the ground. This would be okay in a stealthy situation, but amidst a firefight she simply catches 5 bullets while doing this dance. It's dumb, stupid and annoying. Am I playing this wrong? Should be easy to use a pick as she has to just, you know, hack some brains out.

The 20th Celebration update finally came out for the Windows 10 version today. They still have not added the new achievements though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No wonder Lara looks so different in this one, they used 4 models to make her......and people still think they used the one that doesn't even look like her, Camilla
Still none actually are a perfect match, I actually prefer DE Lara .
I think CD need to focus more on the tombs in 3 and not just random ones and they need a new music composer nothing stands out except the horror sounded track which just seems out of place., the original TR is still amazing to this day.

Could be all of the above but more likely the camera shake and the auto-centering camera. The camera is shaking more often than not. Even if you're standing still and the area is windy. When you're at base camp, the camera shakes and zooms in and out for absolutely no reason. In cutscenes where two characters are sitting in chairs, the camera shakes.

And then when you're climbing, more specifically, sidling along ledges, the auto-centering camera keeps swaying the camera heavily side to side. When you go through crevices it zooms in and out nauseatingly.

Plus the input lag doesn't help either because my brain thinks I'm moving somewhere but there's a delay.

I hope that on their next game, the camera designer at least puts in an option to turn on/off all camera related effects. Or realizes that camera shake is obnoxious and doesn't add any realism to their product. Give me a nice steady cam and wide frames any day.

thing's've gotten progressively worse for me, to the point where i'm about ready to move on to something else until (if ever) you can turn auto-centering off on the ps4 version. congratulations, crystal dynamics: you've managed to make a third-person shooter that gives me headaches / motion sickness, something no other developer's been able to do :) ...

The game is amazingly beautiful. Playing it maxed out @4K with 35-45 fps on a GTX1080, and it's taking my breath away.

The one thing they really screwed up though is Lara's lip sync in-game. I guess you're not supposed to look at her face while she's talking in-game. Which is why her lip movements are 20 years behind the current state of the art.

I'm now playing through the game for a second time, and I gotta say - I'm enjoying it quite a lot more this time!

The camera and the aiming still suck big time, but I think I'm now adjusting to the crappiness.

Meneses

So, two things:

1) My save just got fucked up all of a sudden. I'm at 51%, at the
Acropolis
, and now the game keeps crashing everytime I try to load the game, can't play at all.

Actually it just crashed on the main menu while hovering over the continue option, too.

Is there some known issue with this that they're fixing?

2) Is the shooting/aiming bugged on the PS4 version or was it always designed like this? Because this is pretty bad. I won't say unplayable because obviously I was able to power through it but it's very unresponsive.

Played a bit last night.
"This is fine" I thought. But then you get to the short combat part in Syria and.. what the fuck is up with the aiming. How did this happen on BOTH consoles? And how did CD think no one would notice?

New patch out for PS4, says it fixes input latency. Gotta try it out.

Edit: now game is crashing every time I load a save file, what the hell is going on?

Zedark

So, two things:

Acropolis
, and now the game keeps crashing everytime I try to load the game, can't play at all.

Actually it just crashed on the main menu while hovering over the continue option, too.

2) Is the shooting/aiming bugged on the PS4 version or was it always designed like this? Because this is pretty bad. I won't say unplayable because obviously I was able to power through it but it's very unresponsive.

Just had the same issue, hope they are working on a fix, because it crashes at random moments about 30 seconds after loading (sometimes earlier) and even crashes when waiting in the main menu. Really annoying, hope they recognise this issue and fix it ASAP (as I can't finish my playthrough right now).

Incidentally, do you happen to be on the way
to Kitezh via the secret passage
? It all started there for me, and worked perfectly fine before.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just encountered a glitch that broke the game... I think it has been mentioned a couple times before, but I entered the optional tomb that needs the rebreather (or whatever it is called). I had it, so I was able to enter the tomb. I had to quit playing midway through to do a couple chores. Now whenever I try to load my save from the main menu the game instantly crashes. I hope they fix this shit!

Meneses

Just had the same issue, hope they are working on a fix, because it crashes at random moments about 30 seconds after loading (sometimes earlier) and even crashes when waiting in the main menu. Really annoying, hope they recognise this issue and fix it ASAP (as I can't finish my playthrough right now).

I had just finished the encounter
where the village was invaded and we had to help defend it
, but then I went back to the first area to grab some collectibles and then I went to the
Acropolis
and the bug popped up.

I just got a prompt to download a patch on PS4, let's see what it does.

edit: it says it reduces input lag but of course I can't test it because it keeps crashing heh

Gacha-pin

disconnect from the internet.

Retsudo

So, two things:

Acropolis

I got hit with this today. Was at 27% and the game kept crashing everytime i tried to start it. What i did was revert to an older save. In the main menu if you go to load game, and when it gives you a choice to select your save press L2+R2 it should give you a previous save.

That was the only thing that worked for me.

Meneses

I got hit with this today. Was at 27% and the game kept crashing everytime i tried to start it. What i did was revert to an older save. In the main menu if you go to load game, and when it gives you a choice to select your save press L2+R2 it should give you a previous save.

That was the only thing that worked for me.

This actually worked for me just now, thanks!

Damn the aiming seems to have improved a lot, especially the deadzone issue which is completely gone. I thought it was placebo until I did the forced combat section in
Acropilis
, much better than I expected, can actually shoot people while running sideways.

I deleted the install and reinstalled it then applied the patch, its not crashing anymore.

New patch out for PS4, says it fixes input latency. Gotta try it out.

Damn the aiming seems to have improved a lot, especially the deadzone issue which is completely gone. I thought it was placebo until I did the forced combat section in
Acropilis
, much better than I expected, can actually shoot people while running sideways.

GOD IS REAL!

1vRYhJI.jpg

Staf

Acropilis

Awesome news. Damn near impossible to shoot anyone.

Wanderer5

Cool that the input lag was improved.

And finally learned of a permanent workaround that got me to the classic outfit cards that I didn't get originally. Thank god.

Salarians

Camera + aiming feel so much better now.

For those getting crashes, disconnect from the internet. Back up saves didn't work for me, nor did reinstalling the game, but it seems fine after disconnecting.

FatalT

Banned
FFFFUUUU it was working fine earlier but now I'm getting the crashes. I don't think I can disconnect since this account isn't the primary console account :(

Euuugh! I can't disconnect from internet bcs I'm using remote play on my PC bcs my TV is dead :(

Crashed on title screen. Hasn't crashed yet again but I'm sure it's coming.

How is the challenge trophy glitched?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Glad they addressed the aiming.

Now I'm just holding out for a toggle to turn off auto-center camera. It's there on PC already!

Acropilis

I deleted the install and reinstalled it then applied the patch, its not crashing anymore.
That's great to hear. Now I might actually bother with Platinum.

Credit where credit it due, Nixxes actually listened.

Montresor

X1 was Crystal Dynamics.
PS4 is Nixxes.

Apparently the OG developer can't fix the problem yet another studio can.

Hmmph.

This is a really weird problem. I can't explain why some people don't experience it and some do. I never had any problem but occasionally in the XB1 OT (from last year) you'd get people reporting problems.

Well Nixxes is the one true Lara Croft dev, heheh.

Top Bottom