• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible boxart for Kinect

scitek

AzBat said:
Looks like the game is "Game Party: In Motion" and it's done by Warner Bros & FarSight Studios. They did Game Party 1, 2 & 3 on Wii. Looks like the 360 version is basically Game Party 3. There are 16 mini-games and some include: Quarterback, Rootbeer Tapper, Smack a Troll, Hoop Shoot, Darts, Table Hockey, Billiard, Croquet, Racquetball, Miniature Golf, Bumper Pool, etc. Doesn't look like something Microsoft would bundle with their sensor.

Yeah, that was it. It wasn't that the games didn't work, they did, it's just that I found standing next to someone in a limited capacity while moving about to be uncomfortable.

scitek

knitoe said:
This is where I think many people on GAF has it wrong. They believe Wii offers the same experience as Kinect. Logic goes. Why pay more for the same thing. Thus, price will make a huge difference. Although, both offers motion control, I see Kinect offering major change vs Wii in casual motion control, and thus, enough to outweigh possible $100 difference. If Microsoft can get that message across, $200 vs $300 won't be big deal.

I have been trying to think of a good analogy that can easily sum it up. Best on I can think is take car automatic vs manual transmission. They both allow you to drive. Manual usually gives you offers better gas mileage, control, power, cheaper price and so on. And, yet, why do most people buy automatic at higher cost. It's easier to use.

But you have to stand up to play this thing. You can't have it in a small room, you can't have a coffee table in the way, if two people are playing they have to worry about hitting each other, it's just not the same experience as the Wii at all. The balance board is the closest thing the Wii has that is comparable to the Kinect. I was able to complete all of Red Steel 2 in my seat 5 feet in front of the TV, there's no way you can do that with a "hardcore" game using the Kinect.

the TMO said:
pedobear.jpg

anyone else wondering how long the knickknacks on the little shelves on the right are gonna last?...

knitoe

scitek said:
But you have to stand up to play this thing. You can't have it in a small room, you can't have a coffee table in the way, if two people are playing they have to worry about hitting each other, it's just not the same experience as the Wii at all. The balance board is the closest thing the Wii has that is comparable to the Kinect. I was able to complete all of Red Steel 2 in my seat 5 feet in front of the TV, there's no way you can do that with a "hardcore" game using the Kinect.
Whenever I see casual gamers, ie elder homes and etc., on regular TV playing the Wii, they are standing up in a clear room trying to play Tennis / Bowling like real life. That's the audience that will be captivated and marketed to by Kinect.

Since day one, I have said anyone who thinks you can play HC game with just Kinect only controls are either crazy or really just trolling it. Kinect is as casual as you can get. At best for HC games, Kinect can "enhance" existing HC controls, ie head tracking.

Bentendo

AzBat said:
Disputable. Wii may have had more titles, but only 4 (Wii Play, Wii Sports, Zelda TP & Red Steel) did any good.

Add Raving Rabbids and WarioWare: Smooth Moves to that list. I'm sure there's more too.

Bentendo said:
Add Raving Rabbids and WarioWare: Smooth Moves to that list. I'm sure there's more too.
Monkey Ball. WarioWare wasn't at the launch in the US though.

Clearly their plan is to get people to buy Kinect by giving away all the games for free, that's why everything costs 00.00

Tom Penny said:
Kinect is going to run the holiday gaming season. Period.

Perhaps. If it does - I have my doubts, and no amount of "hey, GAF doubted the Wii and DS!!!" will change that - I would be surprised if it sustained that outside of the holiday season. I can't see Kinect having the necessary traction to take it beyond EyeToy levels of success.

theultimo

It should be purple and gold, and have an exclusive Minnesota Vikings bundle with Farve Football Club 2k11 with real action throwing!

dankir

Who decided the color scheme???!?@?! I love the color purple and green but in together??

NO! BAD MICROSOFT BAD!

Tom Penny said:
Kinect is going to run the holiday gaming season. Period.

With the amount of marketing push Microsoft is giving it I would be pretty shocked if it just outright failed. I don't think it will ever be a *huge* hit, but it should do great around the holidays and okay for itself throughout the rest of the year.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The colourscheme/design looks more like Microsoft is trying to sell me broadband rather than a gaming peripheral.

[Nintex]

It's like all focus groups came together, focus jerked and Kinect for Xbox 360 was the result. It boggles the mind how the design of the Xbox 360 got more 'hardcore' while the photo's on the box are aimed at the casual market.

Something about separating all these Kinect games into a big ugly cardboard display gives me the same vibe as a bargain bin. At least Wii waggle titles were integrated in with normal games, as opposed to being ostracized from the regular games.
Microsoft seemed confused about how to handle this motion camera from the get-go, and their marketing and press statements show they still don't know who they're trying appeal to.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NullPointer said:
Every time I see that Kinect unit I think of this:

geico_eyeball_money2.jpg

Although to be fair, most of gaming as a whole reminds me of the same thing nowadays.
the money we save from not buying kinect?

:lol "Better". Thats a bit to far. Over all, i dont mind the way there marketing the device, or the color purple. Though, non of those first party games in those display photo's interest me at all. All the MS first party games seem to cater towards the casual. The 3rd party stuff is what i care about.

Top Bottom