• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoran

I keep coming back to Rush of Blood, going through the levels on Insane and trying to find collectibles (I don't know how the hell they hide this shit so good in a damn on-rail game lol, I've still not found all of them in a single level). I just really, really enjoy it, probably the biggest surprise of the year for me. I really hope there's a sequel, or DLC, along with a proper sequel to the original UD.

Agreed, Rush of Blood was the big surprise for me. I bought it because it was cheap and used the Move's, but I love it. And if it was a flat screen game I think it would just be meh, but as a VR experience and game its so good.

I want my VR games to take me somewhere else and be enjoyable as experiences and as games.

Every night I play a part of my ongoing Battlezone mission, then a Rush of Blood level, then Micky's Target Range demo, then Thumper demo, then Mortal Blitz demo (HK Demo Download). Sometimes I add in Rigs demo if I have a spare 15 minutes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Playing Thumper, turning on VR mode, especially in the later levels (in currently on level 6):

giphy.gif

Stuff goes really fast and you have to react fairly quickly.

I just hit Level 6 last night. I swear me playing Level 5 in VR after midnight wasn't a good idea. There's so much that game throws at you SOOOO fast that it was hard for me to go to sleep.

They might as well label Thumper an illegal drug at this point.

Lan_97

Caved and picked up Pixel Gear last night.

Tracking:
- Tracking does seem to be more stable than other games
- Recentering centers the view angle as well (like with cinema mode)
- The gun rotates on an odd axis. It seems like the rotational axis is lower than it should be. This is most evident when you hold the gun sideways and it swings out in that direction.

Content:
- Only 3 levels, 4 difficulties, the last difficulty needs to be unlocked
- First boss takes a while to kill, the other two are quicker.
- Pretty barebones, but still fun

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So Robinson the Journey is £50 for a 3-5 hour game.

I think I'll pass.

eFKac

I think I'll pass.

Yeah, if there's one problem with PSVR, it's that the games are expensive relative to the content they offer.

At least they're not riddled with additional microtransactions or shit.

I think I'll pass.

Give me 3 - 5 hours of high quality considered gameplay any day over a 20 to 60 hour game full of fluff. That has become one of my biggest pet hates in recent generations, plus the reduced amount of time I actually have to play games Robinson the Journey is definitely getting a purchase from me, the only thing that could be a potential downer for me is that it is Crytek making the game I haven't enjoyed anything by them since the original Crysis.

Alright guys, let's vote on the best PSVR cockpit!

AFAIK, the options are:

Battlezone
EVE: Valkryie
Scavenger's Odyssey

I guess you could add Driveclub, Gunjack, Super Stardust Ultra to the list but I'm not sure if they'd count. I vote Battlezone.

Soi-Fong

AFAIK, the options are:

Battlezone
Scavenger's Odyssey

I guess you could add Driveclub, Gunjack, Super Stardust Ultra to the list but I'm not sure if they'd count. I vote Battlezone.

You're missing Rigs in that list. Rigs has one of the best feelings of being in a cockpit.

*Splinter

AFAIK, the options are:

Battlezone
Scavenger's Odyssey

Rigs. The others obstruct too much of your view.

I guess Drive club is good too but that's kind of cheating.

AFAIK, the options are:

Battlezone
Scavenger's Odyssey

my vote goes to eve.
i'm still amazed every time i play it.

AFAIK, the options are:

Battlezone
Scavenger's Odyssey

1.Driveclub
2.Battlezone
3.EVΕ: Valkyrie
4.Rigs

Glix

I just hit Level 6 last night. I swear me playing Level 5 in VR after midnight wasn't a good idea. There's so much that game throws at you SOOOO fast that it was hard for me to go to sleep.

They might as well label Thumper an illegal drug at this point.

Protip - Do illegal drugs whilst playing this illegal drug.

antibolo

Banned
So I played about an hour and a half of the full version of Job Simulator yesterday evening. Played through the office job, faffed about for a bit (drank creamer directly from the bottle, feels good man), and then moved on to the kitchen job and almost completed it.

I guess the demo was short enough that I did not have time to be bothered by it, but maaaan does this game feel janky thanks to the tracking limitations of PSVR. Considering how this is a port of a game designed around the Vive hardware, I guess it can be somewhat excused, but really, it makes me reconsider the viability of PSVR in terms of complex motion control interactions. My controllers kept getting occluded all the time trying to reach things on my sides, and I ended up often occluding the headset itself fairly often with my arms and controllers. I'm actually disappointed that the headset is so easy to occlude, because the end result can be extremely nausea-inducing to most people. Although to my surprise I held up pretty well to those constant glitches, I never felt particularly sick during the entire thing. It seems my issue with Driveclub VR is largely attributed to the particular context of that game (most likely the lack of inertial forces), and that I am otherwise pretty resistant to VR sickness.

I also seem to be experiencing a LOT more headset wobble in this game than any other PSVR game. That is probably caused by the standing position that the game requires, while I am usually sitting down in every other game. Also I've been experimenting between placing the camera over or under the TV, and it was over the TV at the time. So far I think under the TV works better, so I'll change it up the next time I play with PSVR.

Soi-Fong

Played Batman.

Everything else is fucking laughable compared to the polish in this.

Have you played Rigs or Playroom? They have the same amount of polish as Batman. It's pretty crazy really.

So I played about an hour and a half of the full version of Job Simulator yesterday evening. Played through the office job, faffed about for a bit, and then moved on to the kitchen job and almost completed it.

I guess the demo was short enough that I did not have time to be bothered by it, but maaaan does this game feel janky thanks to the tracking limitations of PSVR. Considering how this is a port of a game designed around the Vive hardware, I guess it can be somewhat excused, but really, it makes me reconsider the viability of PSVR in terms of complex motion control interactions. My controllers kept getting occluded all the time trying to reach things on my sides, and I ended up often occluding the headset itself fairly often with my arms and controllers. I'm actually disappointed that the headset is so easy to occlude, because the end result can be extremely nausea-inducing to most people. Although to my surprise I held up pretty well to those constant glitches, I never felt particularly sick during the entire thing. It seems my issue with Driveclub VR is largely attributed to the particular context of that game (most likely the lack of inertial forces), and that I am otherwise pretty resistant to VR sickness.

I also seem to be experiencing a LOT more headset wobble in this game than any other PSVR game. That is probably caused by the standing position that the game requires, while I am usually sitting down in every other game. Also I've been experimenting between placing the camera over or under the TV, and it was over the TV at the time. So far I think under the TV works better, so I'll change it up the next time I play with PSVR.

This is why I can tell that Batman was made for PSVR specifically. You can tell that Rocksteady really looked at what possible interactions they can put without straining the tracking.

Look here, it's clear that Sony had to take some shortcuts to get the PSVR to the price it is and compromises like that have to be made.

Honestly, with VR where things will only go up in terms of resolution, tracking, FOV, etc I expect the Vive and Rift to stay at the same price that they launched or even be more expensive. I'm not expecting a price cut for the Vive 2 or Rift 2 when newer tech is needed with it that will stretch optics and graphical fidelity.

The PSVR is actually here to make development viable on VR for devs who are already having trouble making money on this medium. Tech doesn't matter when there is no software to take advantage and that's where Sony comes in. In the end, the numbers is all that matters.

Lan_97

Yea, even with the demo headset and controller occlusion is an issue. You would think the tracking would be 'smart' enough to account better for some of the headset lights being blocked. I've only played the demo, so to me it seems workable, but there are a lot of limitations to be mindful of while playing which made this difficult to demo for new players.

Question for the full game: Is the distance between the player and the camera configurable? This wasn't possible in the demo, and since I moved my camera a bit closer to improve tracking, this put me just on the outer edge of the standing circle.

Holy fucking shit... I read it here but still was blown away...

The tracking in PIXEL GEAR is out of this world. This dev needs to give/sell/whatever their code to anyone making a game that uses moves.

It's... night and day better then other games.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know if it's just some crafty auto-aiming going on, but it feels so much more precise/accurate than anything I've ever used a motion controller for.

Crazy how harsh people have been on reviews of it ( metacritic 51/100) it's an under $10 shooting gallery with good chiptune music, colorful graphics and the best move controller shooting around. Already had hours of fun with it. And especially if you're introducing new people to something they can jump in and have a good time with without any fears of them getting motion sick, Pixel Gear is a real decent quick play, before moving to VR Worlds, etc.

Plus it was released, what, week 2 of PSVR's debut? Even 'shovel ware' at this point in VR has me feel like I'm playing something brand new & I love it. More please.

Glix

Couldn't agree more. I don't know if it's just some crafty auto-aiming going on, but it feels so much more precise/accurate than anything I've ever used a motion controller for.

Crazy how harsh people have been on reviews of it ( metacritic 51/100) it's an under $10 shooting gallery with good chiptune music, colorful graphics and the best move controller shooting around. Already had hours of fun with it. And especially if you're introducing new people to something they can jump in and have a good time with without any fears of them getting motion sick, Pixel Gear is a real decent quick play, before moving to VR Worlds, etc.

Plus it was released, what, week 2 of PSVR's debut? Even 'shovel ware' at this point in VR has me feel like I'm playing something brand new & I love it. More please.

Its fucking cool as hell that you can look in the scope on the sniper rifle.

NEED SILENT SCOPE RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

Lan_97

+1 for driveclub.
Seeing the sun through the smudge on your side window is like woah. I'm in that car

Yup, whenever sun comes through the windshield, my arms instinctively expect to feel some surface heat. The sense of presence with a wheel is fantastic.

I think if they added some more content and polished the rough edges they could have a real winner on their hands. It seems it's already been doing pretty well with word-of-mouth and the pricepoint. A bit more 'stuff' and it could be an easy recommendation for new psvr users.

NateDrake

Figure most people haven't played Carnival Games VR, so I captured footage of each mini-game the game has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q0GV8UQYQQ

The game is pretty fun in VR. The climbing game was neat, and the ghost house on-rail shooter is fun. The motion tracking is good for the throwing and tossing games. Good VR game for those with children.

Gandalf

My Girlfriend just came round my gaff and she tried it out. She has never had any interest in gaming whatsoever in her life, but was totally blown away. And I only showed her Ocean Descent... Now to be a mean bastard and let her try Kitchen.

My Girlfriend just came round my gaff and she tried it out. She has never had any interest in gaming whatsoever in her life, but was totally blown away. And I only showed her Ocean Descent... Now to be a mean bastard and let her try Kitchen.

My wife was asked to try VR and when I loaded up Ocean Descent she said no that's boring, Do the Scary clown one (Rush of Blood) she then spent the next two hours playing Rush of Blood and laughing her ass off. She freaking loves it.

+1 for driveclub.
Seeing the sun through the smudge on your side window is like woah. I'm in that car

I looove Driveclub but I really hope the Pro patch will improve the IQ for more immersion.

Btw... my vote for the best cockpit goes to Battlezone.
The Battlezone cockpit must look fantastic after the upcoming Pro patch

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Hi, already posted in our OT, but thought that you may be interested:

Michal Staniszewski here, creative director at Plastic. It's time to share some of the details about upcoming patch 1.02 for Bound.
I tried a couple of times to describe how our renderer works, but I believe that finally I found the best explanation ...
On PS4 PRO we are rendering edges of geometry in 4K native with multisampling antialiasing and the inner parts of polygons are upscaled from 1080P. Since our game uses mostly geometry and does not rely on texturing too much, I think we got into sweet spot and now we have nicely looking 4K at 60 Hz.
I believe thou that most of you are waiting for the information about PSVR upgrade. We are rendering twice as many pixels than on regular PS4 in VR and adding extra effects on top of that. This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset.
To not make my words empty, here are couple of images without compression, showing new filters in 4K:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146196492@N05/

Also, for all of you waiting for the demo, we have almost finished it. Encountered a last minute small bug on our side :(.

Thank you for such good comments on our game!

I picked up Brookhaven Experiment, and I like it for the most part except that having to use a button to turn around kind of sucks. I think they should have spent some extra time and made it a 180 degree experience, like the Job Simulator developers did.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I picked up Brookhaven Experiment, and I like it for the most part except that having to use a button to turn around kind of sucks. I think they should have spent some extra time and made it a 180 degree experience, like the Job Simulator developers did.

That's good information. I think I'll pass.

I'm starting to understand the kinds of games I like playing.
The London Heist and Rush of Blood both had shooting constrained to what's in front of you without the requirement to look behind you etc...

That's a lot more comfortable for me.

Michal Staniszewski here, creative director at Plastic. It's time to share some of the details about upcoming patch 1.02 for Bound.
I tried a couple of times to describe how our renderer works, but I believe that finally I found the best explanation ...
On PS4 PRO we are rendering edges of geometry in 4K native with multisampling antialiasing and the inner parts of polygons are upscaled from 1080P. Since our game uses mostly geometry and does not rely on texturing too much, I think we got into sweet spot and now we have nicely looking 4K at 60 Hz.
I believe thou that most of you are waiting for the information about PSVR upgrade. We are rendering twice as many pixels than on regular PS4 in VR and adding extra effects on top of that. This makes our game super sharp, literally hitting the display resolution of PSVR headset.
To not make my words empty, here are couple of images without compression, showing new filters in 4K:

Also, for all of you waiting for the demo, we have almost finished it. Encountered a last minute small bug on our side :(.

Hotdamn that looks awesome👍 Already played Bound in VR and loved every minute. I wonder, I now have to switch manually to adjust my viewpoint. Is there a possibility that a patch will make you follow automatically? Gonna replay this on Pro for sure btw

Glix

Thanks for popping in!

Bound is strange but beautiful, I've only had one playsession but it was pretty great.

The camera is kinda weird. I end up not moving it as much as possible. It ends up feeling like RE/Dino Crisis/Fear Effect.

Maligna

Banned
Regarding camera placement, I have found the most success with below the TV.

For standing games I've found the best spot for the camera is still below the TV, but angled upwards.

Above the TV gives me trouble, especially with DS4 tracking.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Yes there will be additional options for camera added. You will be able to set the distance when the auto snap happens. This will reduce the work on right analog stick. Also there will be some adjustments to rotation around the princess. you will be able to finetune those to have more/less control. Unfortunately continuous follow is a no go :( - it causes too much motion sickness to pass through QA.

This is due to a lot of velocity changes of our character and the non linear way the levels are organized. For example in Robot Rescue or farpoint the levels are huge tubes with no rotations. If we would have those then our camera could move like in Thumper for example. Having all those turns and upsidedowns created too much sickness amongst everyone at the team.

lt519

Woohoo! Picking up a pro next week and already thought Bound was a damn good looking game. Can't wait to see the improvements. Any thought yet to allowing a little more freedom of control with the camera? I know someone in a previous thread (or this one) mentioned a slider to allow for finer control.

Edit: you ninja'd an answer in right above me, thanks!

Shoeless

Unfortunately continuous follow is a no go :( - it causes too much motion sickness to pass through QA.

I thought it might be something like this. I was wondering about the sections of the level when the dancer is on the big ribbon traveling through the area, roller coaster style. I was curious to see how that would look in VR and whether there would be motion sickness issues with that. I guess there were.

bumpkin

I looove Driveclub but I really hope the Pro patch will improve the IQ for more immersion.

Btw... my vote for the best cockpit goes to Battlezone.
The Battlezone cockpit must look fantastic after the upcoming Pro patch
I actually just tried the Battlezone demo for the first time last night. I never played the original game it's supposedly based on, but I'll be damned if it didn't give me TRON vibes. I actually had much more fun with the demo than I was expecting, like, I think it just catapulted itself onto my radar. Maybe I can get a good deal on it come Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom