• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4) 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB?

Deku Tree

At 2160p, all HDR will be sent as YUV420 or YUV422, no matter what you try to force. The PS4 will switch signal resolutions without really telling you. Your set should be able to accept a 10-bit signal.

Are you saying it doesn't matter what setting I use?

Yes my set accepts a 10 bit signal.

thisisamul

Neo Member
Try setting your PS4 to limited and seeing if things look the same. Auto should be the way to go, but it seems your TV/PS4 is fucking up when it gets given the chance to decide for itself. Crushed blacks are always an indicator either the TV or PS4 or both are mismatching signals.

Can you confirm if you have your Samsung HDMI UHD Color to ON? I assume this is what the setting will be called on all Samsung TVs. This needs to be at ON for 4K signals, especially for proper RGB/HDR.

edit: Just noticed you have said normal PS4. I assume HDMI UHD color may still need to be set to ON. I'm not sure how Sony do HDR on the normal PS4 given it's HDMI 1.4, but try this setting anyway.

Yes - HDMI UHD Color is ON. Without it, games do not detect an HDR capable display.

I tried moving the PS4 as well as the TV to limited (PS4 at limited, TV at LOW) and the results are the same. Picture looks as intended, no crushed blacks.

We had some discussion in the KS8000 thread yesterday on this exact topic. Currently, we believe auto is possibly bugged for Samsung, as boot sequence can determine if auto = normal or auto = low... additionally, if one flips from auto to any other setting and back, it will 'snap' to limited.

So auto/auto with the Samsung typically results in low/limited RGB video at 8-bit RGB 2160p! So there is no mismatch, but...anyway, for now it may be easier and better advice to force the settings on the Samsung and PS4, which would be normal on TV and full on PS4.

When an HDR game is enabled, it should automatically go into limited YUV and the the video range will be "greyed out" indicating it is still functioning properly.

The PS4 Pro setting is ignored, if left at full, and only outputs limited anyway.

Correct, UHD color must be enabled.

Interesting on my standard PS4 is that even with HDR enabled, if I go to the PS4 output settings and switch to limited or full RGB it does actually switch to the proper setting - so the console isn't forcing limited. Perhaps that's a PS4 PRO only behavior?

III-V

Interesting on my standard PS4 is that even with HDR enabled, if I go to the PS4 output settings and switch to limited or full RGB it does actually switch to the proper setting - so the console isn't forcing limited. Perhaps that's a PS4 PRO only behavior?

This may be Pro only.

EDIT: after thinking on this, it is Pro only due to 2160p resolution output and HDMI BW.

Donthizz#

Bought a Samsung tv. In picture mode what should I choose, HDR+ mode or the game mode?

What are the optimal picture mode settings for blacklight, brightness etc.

III-V

Just use Auto.

HDR when HDR is available.

Rgb when it's not.

Switched automatically and seamlessly.

If it were only so easy.

For starters:

For people with Samsung TV's this results in an video level mismatch if the TV is also auto, its a bug. LG may also have some issues with this, but they haven't been well documented.

For the Sony XBR line I also recommend setting all to auto.

To second:

Some peoples sets have color and luminance banding issues with 12-bit YUV422 that some games put out (Pro auto) when they go into HDR mode, so these people are required to switch to 2160p YUV420 which forces 10-bit.

Coda

I have a Vizio D40U-D1 and it works fine using the YUV 2160p option after booting it in safe mode and turning HDCP to 1.4

My question is, is there a way to make 2160p RGB work with this TV? From what I understand this TV does not have HDR so I would assume 2160p RGB would work but I just get "No Signal" when I try and select it. If anyone could offer some insight that'd be great, assuming the answer would just be "No you simply can't" but if that's the case, then why?

I have a Vizio D40U-D1 and it works fine using the YUV 2160p option after booting it in safe mode and turning HDCP to 1.4

My question is, is there a way to make 2160p RGB work with this TV? From what I understand this TV does not have HDR so I would assume 2160p RGB would work but I just get "No Signal" when I try and select it. If anyone could offer some insight that'd be great, assuming the answer would just be "No you simply can't" but if that's the case, then why?

I'm with you there. My TV says it's not compatible, but my VIZIO M55-C2 doesn't have HDR. 4K output works with default HDCP 2.2, though I might try reducing it to 1.4 to see if I can select it. I like the blacks on YUV more, but again, I need RGB to get better color range.

III-V

I'm with you there. My TV says it's not compatible, but my VIZIO M55-C2 doesn't have HDR. 4K output works with default HDCP 2.2, though I might try reducing it to 1.4 to see if I can select it. I like the blacks on YUV more, but again, I need RGB to get better color range.

I don't have this TV, but 60 Hz 2160p RGB 4:4:4 is the highest bandwidth signal HDMI 2.0 supports.

For both of your TV, ONLY HDMI 5 supports 4K 60 Hz, which is what the Pro outputs.

Blizzje

What would be the downside of me forcing YUV 420 for both hdr and sdr content on my ks8000?

Weirdly enough after switching hdmi cables i still have a highly irregular ghosting blur bug. Once every ten hours, when turning the camera in a game the colors get weird for like a second. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue? Ive turned off dynamic contrast, maybe that is causing it. Im also using YUV 420 instead of auto, maybe that Will help. Any ideas?

III-V

What would be the downside of me forcing YUV 420 for both hdr and sdr content on my ks8000?

Weirdly enough after switching hdmi cables i still have a highly irregular ghosting blur bug. Once every ten hours, when turning the camera in a game the colors get weird for like a second. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue? Ive turned off dynamic contrast, maybe that is causing it. Im also using YUV 420 instead of auto, maybe that Will help. Any ideas?

Likely no downside at all. Make sure both PS4 Pro and Tv are in limited.

Blizzje

Likely no downside at all. Make sure both PS4 Pro and Tv are in limited.

Thanks. Any idea about the colors getting weird for a sec when turning the camera or in fast motion? Only happens like once every ten hours or so.

Can it have anything to do with dynamic contrast? My ks8000 is 3 weeks old, no other problems so far.

III-V

Thanks. Any idea about the colors getting weird for a sec when turning the camera or in fast motion? Only happens like once every ten hours or so.

Can it have anything to do with dynamic contrast? My ks8000 is 3 weeks old, no other problems so far.

Don't know for sure, but I suppose it is possible as any image post processing will add to the input lag.

I don't recommend any enhancements on for fast action games, or games where you will make fast camera turns.

Blizzje

It isn't input lag btw, more like visual artifacting, like I'm seeing double. Like I said, only happens like once every 8-10 hours. Still annoying and weird.

What else could be causing this? I now have settings like dynamic contrast to off, color gamut to auto, and I've yet to encounter the bug. Is this a sign of a faulty display or am I seeing what happens when the camera movement goes too fast for the tv to handle?

III-V

It isn't input lag btw, more like visual artifacting, like I'm seeing double. Like I said, only happens like once every 8-10 hours. Still annoying and weird.

What else could be causing this? I now have settings like dynamic contrast to off, color gamut to auto, and I've yet to encounter the bug. Is this a sign of a faulty display or am I seeing what happens when the camera movement goes too fast for the tv to handle?

What are your motion settings? Are you using and smoothness? This causes SOE.

Blizzje

What are your motion settings? Are you using and smoothness? This causes SOE.

Everything is turned off. I only have Smart LED on (high) and had dynamic contrast on low. Turned dynamic contrast off now and have yet to see double ;) But still have to play for more than 5 hours, which is what I've played so far with these settings.

noomi

III-IV,

I know you said that Auto option on the KS8000 is bugged, but it seems to working for me. I have the PS4 RGB Range also set to Auto, and the setting always matches my TV... although it does always default to Low/Limited for both.

Not sure if maybe it's a firmware thing, but I am running 1152.

killroy87

I'm sure this has been touched on in this thread, so my apologies; But out of curiosity, what does it mean when I boot a game with HDR and it says "your display only supports HDR at 2K"?

I have a 4K TV with HDR support, and I've watched many 4K Blurays on my Xbox with both enabled. Why is the Pro not reading that?

For reference, I'm on a Sony XBR55X850D

Audioboxer

I'm sure this has been touched on in this thread, so my apologies; But out of curiosity, what does it mean when I boot a game with HDR and it says "your display only supports HDR at 2K"?

I have a 4K TV with HDR support, and I've watched many 4K Blurays on my Xbox with both enabled. Why is the Pro not reading that?

For reference, I'm on a Sony XBR55X850D

What are your RGB settings? Auto on PS4/TV?

Audioboxer

Hmm, I'm not sure at the moment, I'll check when I'm home from work. Is there something specific that they should be? I didn't realize that would effect something like this.

Yeah put them on auto. HDR at 4K cannot support full RGB, so if either your TV or PS4 cannot switch to limited automatically then it might be causing the weird 2K only support problem.

III-V

III-IV,

I know you said that Auto option on the KS8000 is bugged, but it seems to working for me. I have the PS4 RGB Range also set to Auto, and the setting always matches my TV... although it does always default to Low/Limited for both.

Not sure if maybe it's a firmware thing, but I am running 1152.

A few of the KS8000 users confirmed it is bugged, in that the auto can default to Full depending on boot sequence. I would have to go back and look what they did, that would allow TV auto to not default PS4 Pro auto to limited instead of full like it does on the Sony Bravia.

It was in the KS8000 thread maybe last week or 2 weeks ago.

In any case having it always default to limited is generally not a big deal.

noomi

A few of the KS8000 users confirmed it is bugged, in that the auto can default to Full depending on boot sequence. I would have to go back and look what they did, that would allow TV auto to not default PS4 Pro auto to limited instead of full like it does on the Sony Bravia.

It was in the KS8000 thread maybe last week or 2 weeks ago.

In any case having it always default to limited is generally not a big deal.

Ahh I see, I leave mine in rest mode and whenever it turns on both HDMI Black Level and RGB Range are always set to Low & Limited.

Will keep an eye on this just in-case. Thanks.

Audioboxer

After I thought I had it all sussed out I'm back to having issues with HDR.

As noted in here Jonathan Blow has said The Witness has issues, so this post of mine seemed to have an answer.

However, now onto FF15...

1) PS4 resolution/RGB settings on auto, TV RGB on auto. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, white cactuar completely disappears...

2) PS4 resolution auto, RGB set to full, TV RGB set to full. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, both cactuars still visible, white one just a shade lighter. This possibly suggests a contrast/white blow out like what happened when I had my PS4 and TV set to RGB full and turned on HDR in UC4 when I first used my Pro and everything looked washed out.

3) PS4 resolution auto, RGB set to limited, TV RGB set to limited. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, white cactuar completely disappears...

Second set of settings shouldn't be compatible with HDR at all though, as at 4K the PS4 and TV cannot do RGB full with HDR??? What the fuck is FF15 playing at then? Why is the white detail completely blown out on auto/limited settings, but still visible when TV and PS4 are forced into RGB full?

Anyone with FF15 try it out? Use the cactuars in your brightness settings page like I have above. At this point I just think I'll turn off HDR full stop. From games seemingly implementing it differently, to PS4s and TVs having issues, the standard is a complete and utter joke. Half you folk out there with it on are probably either blowing out your blacks with crush, washing out your contrast/whites completely, or in the case of The Witness above ending up with blotchy purple mess on black scenes.

Set everything to auto and you think your PS4 and TV would handle things... Seemingly are they fuck with the amount of issues with HDR across games and TV brands. Honestly, at this stage I recommend everyone just turns it off.

edit: When thinking about it auto/auto for RGB settings essentially is limited/limited when a game turns on HDR. Hence how above when I force limited on TV and PS4 I have the white cactuar disappearing. So number 1 and number 3 above are essentially doing the same thing. So in my testing whenever limited RGB is used on the PS4 and TV, and HDR turned on in FF15, white detail is completely lost/blown out.

edit2: Some evidence another FF15 gamer cannot see the white cactuar when HDR is turned on

I don't see the one with the white background.
Though are these options even optimised for HDR?

Either way. I still think the game looks incredible in HDR. First night and day difference I've seen with the feature and it has totally sold me on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226121383&postcount=15281

Coda

I don't have this TV, but 60 Hz 2160p RGB 4:4:4 is the highest bandwidth signal HDMI 2.0 supports.

For both of your TV, ONLY HDMI 5 supports 4K 60 Hz, which is what the Pro outputs.

Thanks, from looking into it further I guess my TV doesn't support 4:4:4 so RGB is out I suppose. Any chance this is something that could be supported in future with a software update with Vizio? Not getting my hopes up but 4K with YUV still looks pretty good.

Audioboxer

Have been playing a bit of FF15 with auto/auto and HDR on and colours seem to be popping more (desert map at start, Sky blues are much richer with HDR on). Maybe, just maybe Square have somehow fucked up the brightness settings menu only. Will continue testing further and keep and eye out for colour corruption or crush.

Mashing

As noted in here Jonathan Blow has said The Witness has issues, so this post of mine seemed to have an answer.

1) PS4 resolution/RGB settings on auto, TV RGB on auto. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, white cactuar completely disappears...

2) PS4 resolution auto, RGB set to full, TV RGB set to full. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, both cactuars still visible, white one just a shade lighter. This possibly suggests a contrast/white blow out like what happened when I had my PS4 and TV set to RGB full and turned on HDR in UC4 when I first used my Pro and everything looked washed out.

3) PS4 resolution auto, RGB set to limited, TV RGB set to limited. Go to brightness settings on FF15 menu, both cactuars are easy to see on black and white square. Turn on HDR, white cactuar completely disappears...

Second set of settings shouldn't be compatible with HDR at all though, as at 4K the PS4 and TV cannot do RGB full with HDR??? What the fuck is FF15 playing at then? Why is the white detail completely blown out on auto/limited settings, but still visible when TV and PS4 are forced into RGB full?

Anyone with FF15 try it out? Use the cactuars in your brightness settings page like I have above. At this point I just think I'll turn off HDR full stop. From games seemingly implementing it differently, to PS4s and TVs having issues, the standard is a complete and utter joke. Half you folk out there with it on are probably either blowing out your blacks with crush, washing out your contrast/whites completely, or in the case of The Witness above ending up with blotchy purple mess on black scenes.

Set everything to auto and you think your PS4 and TV would handle things... Seemingly are they fuck with the amount of issues with HDR across games and TV brands. Honestly, at this stage I recommend everyone just turns it off.

edit: When thinking about it auto/auto for RGB settings essentially is limited/limited when a game turns on HDR. Hence how above when I force limited on TV and PS4 I have the white cactuar disappearing. So number 1 and number 3 above are essentially doing the same thing. So in my testing whenever limited RGB is used on the PS4 and TV, and HDR turned on in FF15, white detail is completely lost/blown out.

edit2: Some evidence another FF15 gamer cannot see the white cactuar when HDR is turned on

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226121383&postcount=15281

Exactly the same problem I'm having.

I posted about the same exact issue in the FFXV thread. I was not able to find a solution. On AVSforum someone said that white is completely clipped around IRE 70 in HDR mode. To see how bad it really is do this: if you wait on the title screen long enough the background will become day and then the text on screen (new game, load game, options, etc...) become nearly unreadable.

Audioboxer

Have been playing a bit of FF15 with auto/auto and HDR on and colours seem to be popping more (desert map at start, Sky blues are much richer with HDR on). Maybe, just maybe Square have somehow fucked up the brightness settings menu only. Will continue testing further and keep and eye out for colour corruption or crush.

Nope, white crush is a thing

v1vbqES.jpg

^ HDR off

WsV7XcD.jpg

^ HDR on

Look at the amount of detail lost on the ground textures.

So IMO FF15's HDR mode has to be broke/bugged. Fucking hell what is wrong with the HDR standard? Both The Witness and FF15 totally broken.

Exactly the same problem I'm having.

I posted about the same exact issue in the FFXV thread. I was not able to find a solution. On AVSforum someone said that white is completely clipped around IRE 70 in HDR mode. To see how bad it really is do this: if you wait on the title screen long enough the background will become day and then the text on screen (new game, load game, options, etc...) become nearly unreadable.

heh, lol, you literally posted right before I just uploaded those images :p I've got an account there if you link me to the FF15 topic I'll leave a post of my findings.

Mashing

What TV you have audioboxer? I have an LG OLED55B6P, but you appear to have a different set. If the same problem happens over multiple TV sets then the problem is most like the HDR implementation in FFVX. I'll need to check the detail and see if I'm getting the same kind of clipping you are describing as I only booted up the game in HDR.

Audioboxer

What TV you have audioboxer? I have an LG OLED55B6P, but you appear to have a different set. If the same problem happens over multiple TV sets then the problem is most like the HDR implementation in FFVX. I'll need to check the detail and see if I'm getting the same kind of clipping you are describing as I only booted up the game in HDR.

Sony Bravia KD55X8509C.

The Witness is broke as well, just looks like FF15 can be added to that pile.

The above and Witness topic pics are from a mobile phone. Doing that because you can't always tell rendering issues on PS4 "shares".

For FFXV HDR I turn the in game brightness all the way down while I let the PS4 do everything else on auto. Looks good if still a little too white crushed. I also have the same issue with the cactuses on the brightness screen as you guys above are describing.

ordan

Neo Member

Have you tried turning off dynamic contrast? That was the issue for me.

Audioboxer

For FFXV HDR I turn the in game brightness all the way down while I let the PS4 do everything else on auto. Looks good if still a little too white crushed. I also have the same issue with the cactuses on the brightness screen as you guys above are describing.

If white is clipping/crushed no matter what you do detail is lost :(

TV setting? Only thing I have is "enhanced contrast", which is set to off anyway.

Audioboxer

Ahhh I got the cactuar to come back. You sent me on a contrast setting search, and while "advanced contrast enhancer" is set to off, the actual standard CONTRAST setting was on max in HDR mode. In gaming mode it is set at 90.

I brought it down to 90 and the white cactuar is back. It still looks like there is some loss of detail on the ground though.

Weevilone

What are people doing on the LG OLED displays that are locked into wide color gamut when in game mode? Now that we have HDR game available that isn't locked, we need to get normal game mode unlocked.

I'm not holding my breath though.

III-V

Ahhh I got the cactuar to come back. You sent me on a contrast setting search, and while "advanced contrast enhancer" is set to off, the actual standard CONTRAST setting was on max in HDR mode. In gaming mode it is set at 90.

I brought it down to 90 and the white cactuar is back. It still looks like there is some loss of detail on the ground though.

If white is clipping in HDR, the first order fix is contrast. The next could be adjusting the gamma.

While a contrast of 95-100 is fine for SDR content (will not clip reference white) and a gamma of 0 gives an reference 2.2 power curve, this may not be the best setting when HDR is enabled.

You may want to try lowering the gamma, then re-adjust contrast. To see if you are still clipping. At this point, the brightness will also decrease so you will need to bump the backlight.

I'm still digging into HDR calibration, so I do not have a reference HDR setting yet, but I have found some test patterns so I hope to test soon.

Audioboxer

If white is clipping in HDR, the first order fix is contrast. The next could be adjusting the gamma.

While a contrast of 95-100 is fine for SDR content (will not clip reference white) and a gamma of 0 gives an reference 2.2 power curve, this may not be the best setting when HDR is enabled.

You may want to try lowering the gamma, then re-adjust contrast. To see if you are still clipping. At this point, the brightness will also decrease so you will need to bump the backlight.

I'm still digging into HDR calibration, so I do not have a reference HDR setting yet, but I have found some test patterns so I hope to test soon.

Yeah I totally jumped the gun in my state of rage :p

HDR is fine it seems in FF15. It was contrast settings issues I was having.

Anyone else getting banding in The Last Guardian in HDR on the B6? I get it in the opening pictures pretty badly whether I'm using YUV420 or not.

Edit: Just tested the game without HDR and there does appear to be light banding at the edges of the pictures of the creatures that the opening credits starts with. I also see the banding in the background though it's less severe in SDR. So it looks like the additional HDR just brings out the existing source material that much more as intended....LOL. Nevermind. I'm gun shy as hell after Infamous..proceed.:)

Top Bottom