• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4) 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB?

Question: I have my pro set to automatic for video output settings. Is this the right thing to do?

Auto is generally best. However if you notice visible "banding" in HDR content you should just leave it set to YUV420. Banding is particularity noticeable when looking at the sky in games and movies.

chaosaeon

Wait, so YUV420 if you have an HDRtv for all content ? What if you have an HDRtv and then play a non HDR game, do you then switch to RGB first ?

chaosaeon

Yea RGB for non HDR, YUV for HDR.

I have the X800D so I just use Auto on PS4/TV and it works perfectly

I've had it on Auto on a KS, so I take it that's ideal too ? Is there a downside to using auto for any reason then ? Sounds like it should just be left there :/ What's the point of manually switching back and forth between YUV and RGB over and over when not all content is HDR.

Kerotan

I've had it on Auto on a KS, so I take it that's ideal too ? Is there a downside to using auto for any reason then ? Sounds like it should just be left there :/ What's the point of manually switching back and forth between YUV and RGB over and over when not all content is HDR.
I'm wondering the same. So YUV420 obviously is the best for HDR but shouldn't you just set it to auto and the ps4 will adjust it as needs be.

un1que

For more accurate colours use rgb.
HDR gets your a better bright and dark but at the sacrifice of accurate colour.

When hdmi 2.1 comes out the bandwidth will be there for full rgb hdr. Hopefully next gen will use it.

But all this can depend on what tv mode you use. You won’t get accurate colour on most TVs In ‘game mode’ as it sacrifices colour info for response time.

If you want a true uncompressed image go for rgb with your tv in pc mode. Especially on LG TVs. But it depends what matters to you most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom