• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon Zero Dawn going to be the next big gaming disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Considering that the people heading the development of Horizon Zero Dawn are different from Killzone Shadow Fall this would be a faulty/baseless assumption.

Yeah, this game was being planned out before Killzone Shadow Fall was probably in full production (so 2010-ish).

I tried to but thr only way to get a damn deal on newer games is to preorder in Canada. If I don't the games will cost $80 if I want it.

Ask yourself questions about this system... if they are punishing players for waiting and making informed decisions they can't really give two shits about you, can they?

I feel for you in Canada. You're not alone in being preyed upon, thats for sure. Still, unfortunate to be stuck in a tough spot of gambling on promise and marketing hoping for a quality piece of entertainment versus making a costly, yet measured decision.

If you have the money, and I'm guessing you do... if you can spot $60 you can probably spot $80... I strongly encourage you to bite the bullet and be as informed as a consumer as you can be, and wait.

It's fair to be skeptical of how the game will turn out -- doubly-so given the way The Order, another Sony first-party game, turned out. It was another game where the 2 second gameplay trailers had you questioning what was up with the game. However, I think we've seen and heard way more about Horizon than The Order, Mass Effect, and a lot of other 2017 games.

The devs and marketing could be silent for a huge number of reasons. The game could be delayed (very likely considering the publisher), the second half of the game could reveal something big about the story of the game, the quality of the game is high enough that the devs are confident they don't need to show everything, talking a lot about Horizon right now could hurt whatever sales potential RIGS has, the Horizon pre-orders could be looking good enough that they don't need another big content blowout, the content blowout could be timed for a week or two after the Switch reveal, etc. There are a million and one reasons why the devs could be quiet right now, and the only way we'll know what's up is in a few weeks.

Do remember that disappointment is a result of expectations meeting reality. If you're going into Horizon expecting The Witcher 4: Geralt Got A New 'Do, you're going to be disappointed. Guerrilla aren't making that type of game. If you're going into Horizon expecting a western RPG with a different twist, your chances of disappointment are going to be much lower. I will say this though: no matter how the gameplay turns out, the one thing that's not going to disappoint is the presentation. Those graphics look i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e.

So because one game by publisher was disappointment all games should be viewed increased skepticism. I wonder how this would work if the same standard was applied to every publisher in the industry? And why do use a failure like The Order instead of a success like Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, inFAMOUS Second Son, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn etc?

It'll look pretty, but it won't play very well, going by Guerilla's track record. They should stick to engine development/graphics. Hopefully it is good! Days Gone, now THAT will be a disappointment.

i just preordered two games because of this post

Reconsider your response when more and more games are broken, ship incomplete, require massive patches and ultimately fail to deliver on the promise marketed to you (because they don't have to... you already paid them).

I really do not understand this juvenile response.

Fanboyism of a console or franchise is one thing. Fanboyism of blind consumerism is something else.

I don't think the story/characters are going to be very good. But I don't know man, the exploration and combat look dope and the setting is unique. The enemies are extremely cool and beautifully animated. I think it will be good.

DonMigs85

I pre-ordered Watch Dogs 2 and didn't regret that one bit, I also pre-ordered RE7. But for this game I am a bit iffy and may hold off and wait for reviews.

redcrayon

I tried to but thr only way to get a damn deal on newer games is to preorder in Canada. If I don't the games will cost $80 if I want it.
That's understandable, but I do think Horizon is going to be a game worth having a little patience with. Open world game by a developer with no history with the genre? Sure it looks beautiful to me but I think early bugs and massive patches are incredibly likely.

Unless someone reallly has the money burning a hole in their pocket, I'd advise against either pre-ordering or buying at launch- it's a single player game and if it's any good, it'll be even better and cheaper a few months after launch. It's going to have a massive print run so the price will drop like a rock.

Alternatively you could at least compromise and not pre-order until a few days before launch- you'll still get your discount but have much more information with which to make a decision. Like whether there's a review embargo, more videos, more previews etc.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Graphically it looks great, but I'm not expecting much out of the story so my expectations are in check. I hated the fact that the main character doesn't shut the fuck up, but I've been told that was just for demo purposes.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't think the story/characters are going to be very good. But I don't know man, the exploration and combat look dope and the setting is unique. The enemies are extremely cool and beautifully animated. I think it will be good.
Lead writer for Fallout New Vegas, John Gonzalez, is writing the story.

I played it at PAX Prime last year and I was pretty disappointed. Gameplay was not that good and pretty boring. But to the defense of the game, it was only a 10min. demo at most and it has to have a lot of RPG elements.

I would wait tho. Uncharted and other first party titles have been dropped their 60 mark tag way too fast these days.

Freeman76

You need to stop over thinking it. Its a fucking game not a house or a car. Wait until it comes out and see if you want it then maybe?

DonMigs85

I played it at PAX Prime last year and I was pretty disappointed. Gameplay was not that good and pretty boring. But to the defense of the game, it was only a 10min. demo at most and it has to have a lot of RPG elements.

I would wait tho. Uncharted and other first party titles have been dropped their 60 mark tag way too fast these days.
The pre-order bonuses don't seem particularly good either

That's understandable, but I do think Horizon is going to be a game worth having a little patience with. Open world game by a developer with no history with the genre? Sure it looks beautiful to me but I think early bugs and massive patches are incredibly likely.

Unless someone reallly has the money burning a hole in their pocket, I'd advise against either pre-ordering or buying at launch- it's a single player game and if it's any good, it'll be even better and cheaper a few months after launch.

I love all these armchair financial advisors. People buying games day one know that we can get these games cheaper by waiting.

It'll look pretty, but it won't play very well, going by Guerilla's track record. They should stick to engine development/graphics. Hopefully it is good! Days Gone, now THAT will be a disappointment.

I'm a little surprised people are so wary of the combat in Horizon. Most open world western games have poor to serviceable combat like skyrim, fallout, hell even GTA.

Horizon looks more impressive system wise than a lot of open world games. Is the sentiment that combat looks average due to the main weapon being a bow?

redcrayon

I love all these armchair financial advisors. People buying games day one know that we can get these games cheaper by waiting.
I just love those armchair games experts that preorder games and then are the first to complain when they are riddled with bugs and demand immediate fixes after paying the highest possible price. A little patience rather than throwing money at publishers months in advance because of hype could have avoided it, is that really terrible advice? Seriously, a developer is making its first open world game. Why buy blind?

I'm expecting it to be the next big franchise for PlayStation personally. At least they've been marketing it that way since it was announced. I expect it to be the game that aligns itself with the GOWs and the uncharteds of the PlayStation brand.

Wow, it's gonna be that big? Huge expectation there. Not that I'm complaining, I'm pumped instead.

RibMan

So because one game by publisher was disappointment all games should be viewed increased skepticism. I wonder how this would work if the same standard was applied to every publisher in the industry? And why do use a failure like The Order instead of a success like Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, inFAMOUS Second Son, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn etc?

It's fair to be skeptical.

If you remember the run up to The Order, then it makes complete sense why a quieter than usual marketing run up would make you cautious. Out of those three new IP, The Order had -- by far -- the most muted and trickle-down info to release. That's why I used it as an example.

Dalibor68

Banned
The jury is still out on whether there will be quality sidestuff or mere filler.

Also I wish they would for once show the player moving through a dense forest / jungle.

Games that tell you absolutely NOTHING about the gameplay and just show you graphics (read: NMS), yeah, be weary.

There's a variety of gameplay videos on YouTube and from trade shows. It hasn't just been a focus on graphics.

So when you say 'nothing' has been shown in gameplay your totally false. Either your trolling, misguided or quite dense.

LotusHD

Banned
OléGunner;227242057 said:
I'm a little surprised people are so wary of the combat in Horizon. Most open world western games have poor to serviceable combat like skyrim, fallout, hell even GTA.

Horizon looks more impressive system wise than a lot of open world games. Is the sentiment that combat looks average due to the main weapon being a bow?

Hmm I dunno, but it'd be interesting if that was part of it for a lot of people. Where like, if they consider stuff like Fallout or Skyrim to be poor, then Horizon is average at best? I myself tend to be looking for more flashier stuff nowadays I guess, although that's not my reason for holding off on buying this anytime soon.

I can't fault anyone for not wanting people to pre-order, though obviously they can expect for people to tell them to leave them be. Like you said, people who pre-order know by now that stuff gets cheaper, or that there is a risk of bugs/patches, etc. It doesn't matter to them; getting the game ASAP is more important, or maybe the combination of pre-order exclusives + discounts make it worth it.

They've beefed up in the areas they were previously "weak" in (in Killzone, a really old series for them) for this game and also hired some very skilled RPG designers, so what track record?

Also, people who tried it at E3 said the controls were really good and very responsive, but ofcourse it's just a demo so it's not like they had a lot to do.

Like StrongBlackVine said
Considering that the people heading the development of Horizon Zero Dawn are different from Killzone Shadow Fall this would be a faulty/baseless assumption.

we know they were working on this game at the same time so it's not all the same people.

Games that tell you absolutely NOTHING about the gameplay and just show you graphics (read: NMS), yeah, be weary.

L O fucking L.

They've shown live gameplay quite a bit.

OléGunner;227242057 said:

This. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to it. Finally a game like this that looks like it has great combat.

Noirulus

Yeah, I was very hyped at first but I'm starting to lose faith after seeing the same gameplay over and over again. I hope they're just hiding the good stuff :/

No? I have never played an FPS where your character seems like they are 3 feet tall, unless they are actually a 3 feet tall character.

Going back to Wolfenstein 3D and the original DOOM 1994, your perspective has always been from your character's eyes and your height has always looked normal except Killzone.

This is comically ignorant. For most of the genre's life viewpoints well below what should be the natural eye line have been the norm.

Compare that with David Cage. I like him and I'm excited to play Detroit but he really doesn't seem to recognise that writing is NOT his strong suit.

This is off topic, but Cage has never represented himself as some amazing writer. His interest has always been focused on emotional representation in games and the advancements in that area afforded by new technology. But his writing has always been pretty unapologetically pulpy genre fair.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Come on this is disingenuous as all hell, the very first gameplay has the main character hunting down and fighting giant dinosaur robot.

ThIs isn't even a NMS issue where people wonder "what do you do?"

What fight? She just climbed that brontobot and hacked it.

scoobs

Everything we've seen looks promising. The only reason to be hesitant is KZ:SF was abysmal, and we still haven't seen much about the story or the open world. For an open world game, it would be nice to see the open world and see if it stacks up w/ the best in the genre.

LotusHD

Banned
It hasnt grabbed me yet. I think it is because I had this preconcieved wish/ idea it would be like The Witcher 3.

Lol Witcher 3 has really ruined certain games for me. When you know how the ceiling can be in terms of quests and story and what not for these open world games, I can't help but be weary of whether or not similar games will measure up. And currently, I no longer Horizon's gameplay/combat compelling enough to just bite the bullet and worry about such things later. I need dem reviews first, which of course, is how it should be lol... But meh.

My opinion would probably instantly change if you hack a machine that flies and well... fly yourself. Been a sucker for stuff like that as of late.

It looks like a Far Cry game not made by Ubisoft so it might be good to see a old formula taken in a new direction

These kinda open world, tower climbing, resource finding, upgrade crafting open world games kind of live or die by how much good content vrs filler they have and right now I dont know what way that is going to go.

Hmm I dunno, but it'd be interesting if that was part of it for a lot of people. Where like, if they consider stuff like Fallout or Skyrim to be poor, then Horizon is average at best? I myself tend to be looking for more flashier stuff nowadays I guess, although that's not my reason for holding off on buying this anytime soon.

Feels like people expect Platinum or FromSoft combat for these types of games. I've seen several same things said about TW3 which I found a bit weird. I guess if the world building is good with interesting side quests etc, people tend to be more forgiving.

It hasnt grabbed me yet. I think it is because I had this preconcieved wish/ idea it would be like The Witcher 3.

Haha don't do this to yourself man. TW3 set the bar too high for open world games.

If Horizon can be even a third as good as TW3 we should be quite happy :p

plidex

Story and mission design, that will be difference between being a good game or a great one, and we won't see that until the game releases. Anyone who says the game will be amazing is just wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom