• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

Septic360

Banned
Is there any particular reason people think the Scorpio will be tied to Xbox One in perpetuity?

I mean, if the fact that's it's going to be almost completely different architecture isn't a clue to this NOT being the case, then fuck, I don't know what is. Microsoft can't outright SAY the Xbox One will be ditched down the line right now, but their actions do.

The PS4 Pro is completely tied to the PS4. The architecture is identical outside a GPU bump.

Nah what's going to happen is that the Scorpio at some point will handle the transition into NEXT GEN.

So I imagine it will be a cross gen device when the XBOX INFINITY is released and then x1 support slowly dies out in the transition

AgeEighty

If that's the case, Microsoft is expecting people to generation jump every five years....

Five years was the average length of a console generation for decades.

NES - 1985
SNES - 1991
N64 - 1996
GCN - 2001
Wii - 2006

PlayStation - 1995
PS2 - 2000
PS3 - 2006

The gap between Xbox and Xbox 360 was four years.

Not that I really believe this, but if it were really true, would MS be dropping the Xbone even faster than the original Xbox, even though they're doing kinda better than back then? Talk about being trustworthy.

I can see them just throwing a fit and releasing a new console quickly whenever they are not market leaders and just throwing stuff at the wall until something sticks like they usually do lol.

Healthy generations should last 5-6 years, not 4 sad years like this would be.

Freeman76

This is bollocks, definitely. I believe DF over this dude any day. He sounds like a fanboy with all the PRO half assed comments.

Is there any particular reason people think the Scorpio will be tied to Xbox One in perpetuity?

I mean, if the fact that's it's going to be almost completely different architecture isn't a clue to this NOT being the case, then fuck, I don't know what is. Microsoft can't outright SAY the Xbox One will be ditched down the line right now, but their actions do.

The PS4 Pro is completely tied to the PS4. The architecture is identical outside a GPU bump.

There's a chance they cut XB1 support in a year or two.
But that's highly contingent on how well Scorpio sells and the mood among developers on losing a potential 30m+ user base who have bee promised compatibility with future games.

It's a slightly tricky one to navigate imo.

What? what?

Developer for Xbox exclusive says it is better than the pro because it's not a half step but then says the Scorpio is based on the same framework of the Xbox one? What in the actual fuck man? He somehow contradicted himself in the same senetence. That's special.

Just like you use the same framework for the development of a game that runs on a geforce titan x or mobile intel igpu ;)

Dehnus

Don't know what to believe now. This kind of reads like an attempt to stem the bleeding from the Digital Foundry article.

Neither, but the dev slightly more than DF (al be his remarks regarding the PS4Pro rather nasty and they reek of fanboyism).

We are talking about a "very early prototype", so probably still placeholder hardware inside. (Like using a seperate GPU or even 2 to approach the same kind of behaviour). So you really can't say much about it, infact knowing MS her board of directors they can still dismantle that thing on the last moment and put mroe "NHL! AMERICA FIRST!" stuff in there.

SO you can't say a thing about this stuff, like with the 360: If it wasn't for Cliff Blezinksy showing them an ACTUAL demo of how Gears of War would look if they sticked to their guns... it would have been a 256mb machine. He was the one pushing for it and on the last moment it got changed. That can also change the other way like "Hmmm... our studies show that people in our main market like Trump. Trump is like 5 letters of the word Trumpet. So why not call it "Xbox Trump pet" give it a trumpet logo, and a leash! ooh and make it orange and furry!".

I ridicule it a bit here of course, but these things can change very quickly.

wapplew

Next generation is no generation. By embracing no generation approach, Scorpio (and Xbox one) is next gen.
This is MS making bold move and taking risk, try to bring new life into dying console gaming by breaking the establishment, finally come to an end of this anti consumer "console generation".
Scorpio will change console gaming forever, no more ask for BC, no more start from zero, you own the game you buy forever that can be play on all the future Xbox devices.

Scorpio will make console gaming great again.

Oh my, if the PS4 Pro is a half assed upgrade I'm curious to see what Scorpio brings to the table. The definition of a quantum computer?

I don't see the outrage from Xbox users, on the contrary fans are cheering on this news and even more excited for Scorpio.
MS know what the fans want and they're going to deliver.
Plenty of folks are against even mid-gen refreshes. Cutting a new generation at this point would be a bad idea. There's a mix of enthusiasm from folks who don't mind refreshes and from folks who are tired of the PS4s edge both at the start and now with a refresh but still want to stick it out with Xbox.

I like the idea of refreshes. I think they are a great option for the consumer and (depending on the HW changes) great for devs to shift tools slowly between generations/iterations. But a new gen would mean cutting off old ties when people might not be ready for it yet.

People are excited for Scorpio and they should be. A lot fewer people will be excited to feel forced to upgrade if a cutoff happens. I feel 3/3 is a good number for iteration and generation. Not 4 flat.

Just my thoughts.

I can play old games from 1990s on my PC, thus my PC is a generation from the 90s.

This is the argument people are making by saying scropio is not a next gen system.

I've never seen hardware defined by backwards compatibility except in hardware war threads.

Next generation is no generation. By embracing no generation approach, Scorpio (and Xbox one) is next gen.
This is MS making bold move and taking risk, try to bring new life into dying console gaming by breaking the establishment, finally come to an end of this anti consumer "console generation".
Scorpio will change console gaming forever, no more ask for BC, no more start from zero, you own the game you buy forever that can be play on all the future Xbox devices.

Scorpio will make console gaming great again.

Wapple, sometimes I can't tell whether your posts are genuine or slyly sarcastic lol

Matt

They would be asking devs to give up A LOT of userbase for little reason.

Unless by "down the line" you mean "when the Scorpio's successor comes out."

RibMan

Much like many of us have posited in the past, Microsoft are introducing the successor to the Xbox One under the pretense of Scorpio being a "generation-less" device. The Xbox Two or whatever they end up calling Scorpio is an attempt from Microsoft to try and get the jump on the PS5, and if you've been following this business from the 90's or even before that, you would know how effective a first-mover strategy is in the business.

Do I think the strategy will work? Long-term outlook points to no. Globally, 4K technology and 4K content is still in it's infancy, and while 1080P is on it's way out, it's a much slower transition than the move from SD to HD. 1080P is the standard for all screens, so 4K -- be it native on PC or checkerboard on the Pro/Scorpio -- is going to need much more penetration before it becomes a big selling point for a product. By the time 4K technology and 4K content hit the sweet spot of being cheap and plenty enough -- 2 to 3 years from now is my guesstimation -- the PS5 will be launching. Globally, that's a nightmare scenario for Scorpio, because it will be sandwiched between the cheap 4K device (PS4 Pro) and the less cheaper 4K device (PS5). That's what happened to the Wii U, i.e. it was sandwiched between cheap 720P/1080P devices (360+PS3) and less cheaper 720P/1080P devices (One+PS4).

Based on the rumors from Digital Foundry, the hardware in Scorpio sounds much more conservative than what people expected. I could be wrong, but this says to me that Microsoft are targeting a launch price ($399.99) that's in alignment with the launch price of the PS4 Pro. I wish more developers could divulge the specs of the console, because that would paint a clearer picture of what fall 2017 looks like for the business. Regardless of what the final hardware has inside, I think launching a new console at $399.99 is good, and this will afford Microsoft the opportunity to target people who want Xbox games to be running in 1080P across the board.

MilkyJoe

I can play old games from 1990s on my PC, thus my PC is a generation from the 90s.

This is the argument people are making by saying scropio is not a next gen system.

I've never seen hardware defined by backwards compatibility except in hardware war threads.

The argument against next gen is you can install said game on both Xbox one and Scopio, which flies in the face of the next gen motif

If scorpio is a next gen system... Then ms will drop xb1.. Like they dropped xbox when the 360 dropped.

Might explain all the crazy good deals for xb1

ekim

If scorpio is a next gen system... Then ms will drop xb1.. Like they dropped xbox when the 360 dropped.

If MS advertises this as a kind of new Gen they will surely support the XB1 longer than that. Maybe 2 years?

farisr

oh yeah. we should only take Sony-funded devs, who don't have the hardware at all, serious when they talk about Xbox Scorpio... /s
Yeah, because that's totally what I said. /s
beside exclusive devs and the big ones, no one else knows any details about the upcoming console.
so what exactly do you expect? but yeah i don't expect an answer from you at all ;)
Funny how you sneak in "and the big ones" and then write "what else do you expect." Actually that's who I'm waiting for, impressions from third party devs. First party/exclusive devs praising their console means jackshit, regardless of which company it's for.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't read the DF article yet, is Scorpio not as powerful as they were promising or something?

Bobnob

We don't even know what the scorpio is yet! Is it just a 4k upgrade machine or something else, like previous posters have said they need to be on point when marketing this machine, i dont think 4k alone will shift units.I wish MS would just give us the specs, then we can talk about what this console's gonna be.

An actual new platform without forward compatibility has been the traditional definition.

Scorpio and the Pro are both mid gen refreshes. Yes, the Scorpio is a larger technical jump ahead (as it should be, it's coming out a year later for I think a higher cost), but I really don't understand the disdainful attitude some have taken towards the Pro while praising Scorpio with the same breath.

So is going be higher priced than $399, that's a bold move.

Your insider knowledge of Scorpio, does it come from this whitepaper?

If those comments are accurate, Scorpio would be much more enticing to me, but at least so far, I'm keeping my expectations in check. All MS have said public, and now in papers to devs, is there will be no Scorpio only games. In my mind then, this limits what all that power and ommph can really be applied too. I mean you could build a Scorpio in mind game and basically build a *next gen* game right, but that might sink the XB1 version and get bad press for performance. Or, you go XB1 as base and build technical bells and whistle, resolution/frame rate focused improvements. Nice for the people that care, but I don't really want to put down for a box that plays all the same games. For me, the XB1 runs it's games fine, so I'm really only interested in spec increases if something new can be done with it. So I'm just going to assume it's an XB1 pro for now. That's not to disparage, some folks will love that and that's fine by me, but I'll probably just stick with my XB1 in that case. If it ends up anything else, well that'll just be a nice surprise oppose to disappointment the other way round.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I haven't read the DF article yet, is Scorpio not as powerful as they were promising or something?

Scorpio is exactly as they promised.

Some people on here were just convincing themselves that MS would overdeliver and include Zen and a 8 TFLOP GPU and stuff like that.

leeh

Considering this, what Stinkles and Jez Corden from Windows Central said. There's some change but what.

Jez Corden wasn't referring to the whitepaper either, he was referring to change from the documentation for the early Dev kits.

It could be commercial suicide to have Scorpio be anything more than a similar device to the PS4 Pro. Splitting the console's already limited userbase with games exclusive to Scorpio would annoy the fuck out of consumers.

Frankly, rumors like these are making me even more glad I never bought an Xbone, and likely won't until both it and the Scorpio are almost dead.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Scorpio is exactly as they promised.

Some people on here were just convincing themselves that MS would overdeliver and include Zen and a 8 TFLOP GPU and stuff like that.

Ah right, thanks. So it's kinda similar to how people assumed the Switch would be using the latest Tegra then.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It could be commercial suicide to have Scorpio be anything more than a similar device to the PS4 Pro. Splitting the console's already limited userbase with games exclusive to Scorpio would annoy the fuck out of consumers.

Frankly, rumors like these are making me even more glad I never bought an Xbone, and likely won't until both it and the Scorpio are almost dead.

The idea that Scorpio will get exclusive games (beyond VR titles) is so flawed it's silly to even think about. They would be sending the games to die.

barit

So Scorpio is a full blow(n) next gen console where every game needs to run on Xbone too. Yeah that makes sense... NOT

wapplew

Because we haven't seen how crazy exclusive games look on Scorpio yet.
It will be something similar to Gears 1 that blow everyone mind and go pre-order right away. Xbox had even limited user base, doesn't stop 360 become best selling Xbox.

c0de

In the end, it's still his own opinion but technically, he is right.
The pro is a better ps4 with a performance increase that is lower than bone to Scorpio. Yes, the bone is lower but Scorpio is also higher than the pro so in terms of increase it's way more of an upgrade.
Additionally, Scorpio is architectural different to the bone, way more than the pro is to the ps4.

Do we have a context on that quote ?
Because if it's in term of specs, then I guess we can say PS4 is a whole new generation compared to XB1, considering it's the same power gap between XB1/PS4 and Pro/Scorpio.

Although, if it's in term of forward compatibility, then it'd be true. The way PS4 Pro handles upgrades and older titles is definitely half assed.

Exactly.

If the PS4 Pro was released at the end of 2017 with 6gflops, would it:

1) Sell more than the Pro already has?

2) Attract more Xbox One owners to the Playstation 4 platform?

3) Encourage more third party devs support?

The answer to all 3 is clearly no, so I don't understand why people think the Scorpio will change anything at all.

The Pro is there so you don't feel bad about buying a 4K TV without having a console to make sue of it. It makes sense for Sony to release a product with that purpose because they also sell 4K TVs.

Microsoft don't make 4K TVs, and a mid-gen upgrade of the Xbox One is not going to change their position in the market...

So why does it exist?

Top Bottom