• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Slaythe

oh platinum

We should have known better.

Platinum's history + Square*we released FFXV in this state*Enix :p ...

PC version will be great though.

I won't buy it at release. But down the road I guess. I wanted to support the game at least once so Square keeps making these kind of games.

TissueBox

Seriously (third playthrough spoilers)
A2 is hilarious and may just be my fav character in the game at this point. But seeing her begrudgingly help out the machines in Pascal's village is the cherry on the cake. Melts my heart, even though I know this may not last...

Finally got ending A.

I have so many questions, but all in all I really really enjoyed this first playthrough. Can't wait to see what's next.

This game is so fucking good.

Ok so FYI, there are areas in the game that consistently drop under 30 FPS.

On ps4pro.

Yikes. :/

Weird, I must have not been there because the worst I've seen in my 15+ hours played has been minor, momentary jitter in open areas. (45-55 fps at worst, if I were to pin it)

(btw, nobody sensitive about spoilers click this)

30 tracks seems about right, but also keep in mind that this game uses tons and tons and tons of stems/dynamic mixes of tracks just like the first game. Any soundtracks floating around on youtube and whatnot are either going to be direct rips of files or people recording from the BGM jukebox or playing the game without any sound effects turned on.

We're not going to know what the "full" soundtrack is until the album comes out. Don't forget that part of why Nier Replicant/Gestalt's soundtrack album is so substantial is that it contains full mixes of individual parts and stems from the dynamic tracks, as well as long-ish versions of the "complete" tracks as well.

is the story good or a complete mess?

It's very good. And also a mess, but in a good way. Like... a "what the FUCK" way.

30 tracks seems about right, but also keep in mind that this game uses tons and tons and tons of stems/dynamic mixes of tracks just like the first game. Any soundtracks floating around on youtube and whatnot are either going to be direct rips of files or people recording from the BGM jukebox or playing the game without any sound effects turned on.

We're not going to know what the "full" soundtrack is until the album comes out. Don't forget that part of why Nier Replicant/Gestalt's soundtrack album is so substantial is that it contains full mixes of individual parts and stems from the dynamic tracks, as well as long-ish versions of the "complete" tracks as well.

Yeah. There are tons of versions of each track, it feels like.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

There are a lot of tracks on other youtube playlists that most certainly are not included on that list. So I'd say its far from complete. And I'm not talking variants/alternate mixes either.

Pacer

Neo Member
I really want this game, but there's no way I can fit it between Zelda and Horizon Zero Dawn. As much as I hate skipping a Platinum game, I just can't justify buying three games at once.

The impressions in here are encouraging, too. I guess it'll have to wait.

Slaythe

Weird, I must have not been there because the worst I've seen in my 15+ hours played has been minor, momentary jitter in open areas. (45-55 fps at worst, if I were to pin it)

Lol. No. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk but that's simply not true.

I highly doubt you didn't run into the big frame drops I am running into because they are extremely frequent.

And I wouldn't be complaining about a maximum drop to 45 FPS.

I have the same tools as Digital Foundry, if I have time I'll try to run a test. Maybe for my second playthrough since i'll save the quest I have in mind (worst fight in the game so far, consistently I mean) for this. But I see frequent frame drops under 40 FPS in the forest areas...

Jiraiza

Need more endings.

JsHt2XH.jpg

Lol. No. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk but that's simply not true.

To be frank, unless you secretly had those tools running during my gameplay, I don't know how you'd be able to tell what frame rates I've experienced this far.

I highly doubt you didn't run into the big frame drops I am running into because they are extremely frequent.

They're also incredibly short. The little hitches when moving from one large area to another don't strike me as game ruining, and I've yet to run into any massive frame drops outside of them.

And I wouldn't be complaining about a maximum drop to 45 FPS. (snip snip) ...But I see frequent frame drops under 40 FPS in the forest areas...

I haven't made it to the forest area yet, but 5 fps makes that much of a difference? It's still well above 30 - which you mentioned previously.

I have the same tools as Digital Foundry, if I have time I'll try to run a test.

I'd be interested if they did another analysis of the game, yeah.

As someone who hasn't important and as spoiler free as possible, does the game hand you or explain how to get the alt endings? Or does it make you search to figure that out?

TissueBox

Ok. Following up on that last post for 3rd playthrough. Just got
to the part where Pascal's village is destroyed. Seeing A2 caring for and protecting Pascal and co. and the one peaceful machine refuge being obliterated...yeah I saw that coming but hell when it came
... crushed me right in the feels, in multiple dimensions F*ck. Real talk, love this and hate it all the same... and that's a very good thing... and from the looks of it about to get even worse/better.

You kind of know where certain things are going. But Taro will cook and serve it when it's ready. This is definitely Nier.

Just got
Pod C, but never found Pod B -
is it part of a quest, or?

Not sure if anyone answered you or GwyndolinCinder, but
to find Pod B, go to the Flooded City: Coast access point. Then, proceed till you see the destroyed school bus. Jump on top of the bus and fish. I got it with my second cast.

Finished Route A, as a nier game game it's been great so far, as an action game it's a mixed bag. Only like two real bosses the whole route D: But all bosses are great nier moments.

Strings

Finished Route A, as a nier game game it's been great so far, as an action game it's a mixed bag. Only like two real bosses the whole route D: But all bosses are great nier moments.

Perfectly sums up my feelings.

Entire thing is worth the price of admission just to experience the jollyness that is machine village tho.

JayEH

For me the problem with the gameplay is I feel it's in a weird middle ground where it doesn't know if it wants to be an action game or a RPG. Like they'd struggled to find the right balance which I guess isn't surprising considering this is PG's first ARPG. It's still flashy and fun though and miles better than Nier 1.

convo

Nier is a game with a bunch of gameplay concepts crammed into it. Platinum implemented everything Yoko Taro wanted into the game, especially the shoot-em up parts that he always wished for. Someone would need to put in the effort and go for harder difficulites to get more out of the combat since switching things up or even being good at games isn't needed to get through the story which is the reason this game exists. You gotta experiment yourself to see what the potential of the combat is.
Liam's first playthrough of the game was absolutly focused on getting the story done and not getting into the dojo and figuring out tech or even using different weapons and went for the good old spears.

True Fire

Update: I think I like Automata's final boss theme more than Shadowlord now. I've had it on repeat all day, and I can't stop whistling along. The part where the vocals swell... wow.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
It is exactly what I've heard, Nier fans seems pretty happy but plantium fans feels kinda disappointed

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Should I sell all items that say sell for money in their descriptions? Or are they useful for other things?

convo

Whatever messages Yoko Taro tried to convey in all his previous games i liked this game's the most.Nier 1 spoilers
First Nier was really depressing once i knew what the deal was and how everything got fucked up. I couldn't see papa Nier and most of the characters in a good light anymore.Except Emil he is the best

LotusHD

Banned
Think I'm going to have to end up just watching the first Nier on Youtube in "preparation" for this. I'm just not getting a 360 anytime soon, so now the copy I have is just sitting there all useless and what not.

kingbean

I'm like 5 hours in and I feel like I've barely done anything.

Either this game ends with not much happening or I'm really really slow.

I am enjoying the game and the story. It's easily the best Taro game by far.

Ubernube

I'm a big fan of Platinum and I hated the first game. I'm really enjoying this one FWIW.

I think it really depends on what one is looking for when it comes to Platinum's involvement. If one is looking for a combat system that has a massive amount of depth to it as character action games form Platinum tend to have, Automata probably isn't going to make one very happy in that regard. If one is looking for a combat system that just feels smooth as hell to play, I think one will be very happy here.

LotusHD

Banned
I think it really depends on what one is looking for when it comes to Platinum's involvement. If one is looking for a combat system that has a massive amount of depth to it as character action games form Platinum tend to have, Automata probably isn't going to make one very happy in that regard. If one is looking for a combat system that just feels smooth as hell to play, I think one will be very happy here.

Guess I'm the latter.

Roussow

There a difference to getting it from either the Japanese or Hong Kong store? Curious why you're all specifically recommending getting it from the HK store.

TankRizzo

Banned
There a difference to getting it from either the Japanese or Hong Kong store? Curious why you're all specifically recommending getting it from the HK store.

because it's way cheaper that way. Getting the game with a JP PSN card through Play Asia will cost you close to $100 USD. HK card cost me $69

convo

One thing is for damn sure and that is that this game isn't pure character action all the way . There are changes that you can make and acquire to get closer to what you'd want but the game does not require you to seek out every option and it takes time to unlock too.
People who wanted devil may cry will still have to wait for capcom to announce dmc5 this year. The same people seem to dislike Bayonetta and Platinum anyway so this game wouldn't be in their sights anyway. The line can be drawn somewhere the more people figure out this game.
It's a damn good video game though, i am still getting this over Horizon since it is exactly what i want. It's hard for me to wrap my head around certain fans having a "crisis of faith" with platinum.

Protip: if you look up completed quests in the quest, they include a blurb about how the quest ended. It's just a little flavor text, but if you're the type to read all the unit logs and fishing entries, then it's worth reading too.

I've gotten the main story endings and some of the ridiculous and dumb ones.

Right now I am looking for *CHARACTER SPOILERS*
Emil
so that I can fight
him
. Anyone know how to do this?

Crayon

I really want this game, but there's no way I can fit it between Zelda and Horizon Zero Dawn. As much as I hate skipping a Platinum game, I just can't justify buying three games at once.

The impressions in here are encouraging, too. I guess it'll have to wait.

Same problem here but I'm going to wait on Horizon. I can play zelda and nier at once. One easy game, one hard game. But I don't think I would enjoy 3 at once so Horizon will wait till I'm done with Nier or Zelda.

LotusHD

Banned
Same problem here but I'm going to wait on Horizon. I can play zelda and nier at once. One easy game, one hard game. But I don't think I would enjoy 3 at once so Horizon will wait till I'm done with Nier or Zelda.

Well Zelda's actually much harder now according to the previews, so technically you'll be playing one hard game, and one half-hard game. (It's still Zelda I suppose.)
Although Nier can be made easier.

Have been playing this for a couple hours, already regretting the purchase.

Still on the first mission, obviously

At least I'll always have the demo!

Top Bottom