• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Slaythe

So is it save to assume that nier atomatas battlesystem is close as good as kh2?

KH2 wasn't really finished (hell the versions NA JP EU are different).

So I always consider KH2FM when I talk about it.

Nier Automata isn't anywhere near KH2FM's gameplay, no. But not many games are.

The variety of the enemies, all your abilities, combos, movement abilities, the dozens of boss battles that are all unique and have tons of ways to approach... KH2FM is really one of a kind. :D

Can't wait for 60 fps on ps4.

Nier is a pretty cool game, and I like it quite a bit actually, but I really can't bring myself to say this is one of the best Action RPG I played, if that makes sense. It's missing too much on that front.

Levito

Banned
The closer we get to this game's release the more I regret not playing the first Nier.

I know it's not a requirement but still.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The closer we get to this game's release the more I regret not playing the first Nier.

Dont worry about it. You didn't have to play drakengard to understand Nier either. In the same way you dont have to know anything about Nier to understand the story of Automata

Only us obsessed Yoko taro nerds need apply :p The game is perfectly accessible to those 'out of the loop' as it were.

Xadjim

Banned

The variety of the enemies, all your abilities, combos, movement abilities, the dozens of boss battles that are all unique and have tons of ways to approach... KH2FM is really one of a kind. :D

Nier is a pretty cool game, and I like it quite a bit actually, but I really can't bring myself to say this is one of the best Action RPG I played, if that makes sense. It's missing too much on that front.

°(ಗдಗ。)°. But whyyyyy

Dont worry about it. You didn't have to play drakengard to understand Nier either. In the same way you dont have to know anything about Nier to understand the story of Automata

Only us obsessed Yoko taro nerds need apply :p The game is perfectly accessible to those 'out of the loop' as it were.

well to be fair, there's way more thing linked to the first nier! Yeah it's not necessary but you will not understand the impact of some sidequest and characters

EDIT : whoops, sorry for the two post!

Inuhanyou

well to be fair, there's way more thing linked to the first nier! Yeah it's not necessary but you will not understand the impact of some sidequest and characters

EDIT : whoops, sorry for the two post!

that's just as well since those things are not exactly pertinent

TissueBox

Character action is still a bit barebones yeah, though progression is decent and customizable enough. RPG elements are strong and Nier-esque + open-world, if you don't mind the simplicity. But like others have stated it's sort of stuck in the middle in a way and without the advantage of any one standout quality (in the ARPG department). It is a bit too 'simple' in respects, but thankfully if you're the kind of person that can endure that you'll find a game that eventually surpasses the sum of its parts (to repeat an earlier post), I really think that. You know how it is with these games.

posted the same question earlier, someone say you got it
by fishing
but he didn't remember where

Yeah they said they found it at the (late-first playthrough location spoiler!)
flooded city
-- which is the last zone you unlock in the first playthrough iirc. Haven't tried it though.

wmlk

It's a really unique experience. If you have a feeling you'll like Nier, you're really missing out on not playing it since there's really nothing like it. The perfect example of more than the sum of its parts.

Inuhanyou

it seems like some people were expecting bayonetta or DMC level combat when we knew going in that they intentionally stripped it down to be a better platinum esque version of the original action RPG Nier game as opposed to a full on platinum action game experience

LotusHD

Banned
it seems like some people were expecting bayonetta or DMC level combat when we knew going in that they intentionally stripped it down to be a better platinum esque version of the original action RPG game as opposed to full on platinum action game experience

Well, people did predict this happening if I recall correctly.

Inuhanyou

Well, people did predict this happening if I recall correctly.

predict some being disappointed? I dont get it tho since we've known about it for a long while

its still better than most action RPG combat, even though its not as comprehensive as usual Platinum efforts are being straight action titles

Levito

Banned

I get that but the more I read the more I wish I'd played it forever ago. Too late now I guess though.

People going in expecting/demanding something exactly as complex and deep mechanically as Bayonetta or whatever will be disappointed, but this isn't even trying to be anything close to that. It'd probably be worse if it was, frankly.

Inuhanyou

I get that but the more I read the more I wish I'd played it forever ago. Too late now I guess though.

who knows, the book has not closed on a remaster at some point :p I would not go back to last gen to try and play it tho if you havent already

predict some being disappointed?

Yeah, because while many of us come from enjoying NieR and appreciating Platinum's expertise, many more came from Platinum, expecting their usual depth/etc.

That's just not what NieR: Automata aims to be, in the end.

Best bet if you can't/don't have the time to play the games now is to watch the Clemps series linked in the OP. He's putting out the third part in the NieR analysis sometime before March 7th.

LotusHD

Banned
why is it your first platinum game? You should be ashamed :3

Just never happened I guess. I played Viewtiful Joe though!

Oh, I guess I played the Transformer one for free, but it didn't appeal to me at all. As for Bayonetta...
I don't have an excuse, I'm sorry.

Inuhanyou

Basically, at least along the lines of Platinum fans probably being disappointed.

Now that I think about it, this is actually my first Platinum game D:

:p Well it should not be a problem for you since your not expecting anything. This game's combat surpasses most game combat even so, your gonna have fun

TissueBox

it seems like some people were expecting bayonetta or DMC level combat when we knew going in that they intentionally stripped it down to be a better platinum esque version of the original action RPG Nier game as opposed to a full on platinum action game experience

Yep and frankly that's the thing, that this is not the next DMC or Bayonetta, but the next Nier with elements of that courtesy of Platinum. Sure I still think the game has a technical blemish or two but many aspects of it are still robust, especially in the context of the first. At the end of the day the soul of the game lies elsewhere. Platinum is its surface but inside it's Taro, which is still a miraculous combo. I mean the game could've gone with much worse lol. The fact this exists is still impossible to not appreciate.

Yu Narukami

I was watching clamps recap stated in the OP and when it got interesting I noticed there is no final part for Nier! I want to know how it ends. His vids are really good.

Just never happened I guess. I played Viewtiful Joe though!

Oh, I guess I played the Transformer one for free, but it didn't appeal to me at all. As for Bayonetta...
I don't have an excuse, I'm sorry.

that's okay, you'll do it someday, i forgive you child! As for myself i never played Shenmue, so there's that too (i intend to, i'll do them both when 3 is released)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll say that this is a much more polished NieR 1 game. Think of it as a better NieR game rather than a crazy mechanically deep Platinum game because... that's not what it's supposed to be.

I finally figured out the black dot on the minimap near the
wrecked goliath
- it's
the goliath's head
. I've tried shooting it, jumping on it, spamming O at it from every angle, but nothing happens.

Is this a later in the game or NG+ thing? Or am I missing something obvious?

PS sorry for spamming the thread with inane questions :p

Inuhanyou

Yep and frankly that's the thing, that this is not the next DMC or Bayonetta, but the next Nier with elements of that courtesy of Platinum. Sure I still think the game has a technical blemish or two but many aspects of it are still robust, especially in the context of the first. At the end of the day the soul of the game lies elsewhere. Platinum is its surface but inside it's Taro, which is still a miraculous combo. I mean the game could've gone with much worse lol. The fact this exists is still impossible to not appreciate.

well said. still by far the most comprehensive and technically polished Yoko taro in existence and i think that goes with no exaggeration.

fighting adam in the copied city while going back and forth with him about the merits of the human race that no longer exists just brings me the feels on another level that only fighting shadowlord and the grotesqueries gave me

Inuhanyou

Just started it, quick question though, how long is the story?

its about
10 hours for the first run, but you have to use different characters afterward and make different choices to actually complete the game, it should take you 20+ atleast to get to completion

I finally figured out the black dot on the minimap near the
wrecked goliath
- it's
the goliath's head
. I've tried shooting it, jumping on it, spamming O at it from every angle, but nothing happens.

Is this a later in the game or NG+ thing? Or am I missing something obvious?

PS sorry for spamming the thread with inane questions :p

you're supposed check his head with O, there should be a prompt! can do it really early! Maybe you missed this quest and are too far in the main story now, it's not available anymore?

raven777

Kinda wish you could see the recommended level of the quest before you accept it (can you?). Some of the quests seems way over level for me.

Kinda wish you could see the recommended level of the quest before you accept it (can you?). Some of the quests seems way over level for me.

Maybe it's just yoko taro trolling... like
these golden machine
that are only lvl 25 but take FOREVER to beat, like an MMO...

i'm not sure you can reach level 60 (a quest that i beat while lvl 30) in the first playthrough (dunno i you keep your level in the next playthrough)

Stalk

Got ending A last night. To those who have finished up - just to confirm, are there any special requirements to get the story endings? Or is it kinda like first Nier where choices are sorta limited?

Furthermore, do I need to collect all weapons for a True ending?

J 0 E

A lot of PG games have the curse of "empty / bland worlds" and I got the impression that Nier have this issue too ... how is it?

A lot of PG games have the curse of "empty / bland worlds" and I got the impression that Nier have this issue too ... how is it?

The central hub area is pretty empty, but you travel through it quickly and also open up shortcuts as the game goes on. The mission areas are much more detailed and a lot of fun to explore. There's stuff hidden everywhere.

silva1991

Not gonna lie, I can see myself skipping Nier for 60fps KH2FM.

I see some people streaming english copies, did some people get early copies or are stores selling it early? My amazon says the game will be shipped to me in March, I was contemplating on canceling it for the pc version but it hasn't even shown up on steam yet for preorder.

Dio

Banned
I see some people streaming english copies, did some people get early copies or are stores selling it early? My amazon says the game will be shipped to me in March, I was contemplating on canceling it for the pc version but it hasn't even shown up on steam yet for preorder.

They're not streaming english copies, they imported/ordered those copies since English is included with those releases (the release date in Asia already hit). Thus, people are playing them in English before the game releases in the West.

They're not streaming english copies, they imported/ordered those copies since English is included with those releases (the release date in Asia already hit). Thus, people are playing them in English before the game releases in the West.

I see. Thanks.

Checking out a stream for a bit, it looks like it runs pretty smooth and looks clean, though the streamer has a ps4 pro. I'm looking forward to see some comparison shots between versions down the line.

I see. Thanks.

Checking out a stream for a bit, it looks like it runs pretty smooth and looks clean, though the streamer has a ps4 pro. I'm looking forward to see some comparison shots between versions down the line.

Let's just be clear, the normal ps4 version runs like shit in the open world (almost never at 60 fps)! I'm playing on it and it's in a really sad state... I still enjoy it, but i will definitely rebuy it on steam on sales to play it at a steady 60 fps

Top Bottom