• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gbraga

That alone makes MGR a better action game IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMzPgEHTJ4

It's a fantastic game, with amazing boss fights. I just don't think it's particularly deep.

And watching the beginning of this video just made me think about the awful weapon switching system from MGR, that not only can't be swapped in real time, but also requires you to let go of half of your sword moveset to equip a different weapon, which is not a problem in Automata because of the weapon set swap thing from Bayonetta.

Crayon

People going in expecting/demanding something exactly as complex and deep mechanically as Bayonetta or whatever will be disappointed, but this isn't even trying to be anything close to that. It'd probably be worse if it was, frankly.

I was so impressed with metal gear rising because of the way the complexity was successfully dialed dialed down from bayo. It seemed so effortless. When I played the Nier demo, I was impressed again. It's like they have total mastery of the genre.

Hektor

For those who finished the game twice:
Is it worth it? Or should I just YT the second ending? I really don't like playing as 9S. :/

You'll miss out on half the game

Does anyone know what is up with the "scientist" who wants me to invest in him? Is there an end point to giving him money, or is it just a way to get random items?

There's an end to the questline. It's worth it imho, tho maybe not at the very beginning cos it'll take A LOT of money

Unless the combat is worse than the demo for whatever reason, y'all don't know what you're talking about.

It's a fantastic game, with amazing boss fights. I just don't think it's particularly deep.

"I havent played the game yet, but ya'll are wrong".

The combat in nier is not what makes it a "bad" action game. Being a "bad" action game, is what makes it a "bad" action game. You can't know this till you play the game, and its hard to explain without spoilers.

Example 1

Vague example, no specific plot spoilers, just about boss design.
A large majority of the time spent in encounters with the main villains, are boss battles which you are not meant to win. You simply just dodge attacks, why the game lets you think you are fighting them.
Whilst this dialogue heavy gameplay is what i want from a nier game, its not what you want in an action game at all.

Example 2

Talked about in pre release, but some might consider a spoiler if they were on blackout from day 1.
9S is fucking shit to play as. Hes not a combat unit, so the melee combat is limited to 1 weapon.

Bosses are by far the weakest area of the game so far, theres been two really good ones, but most dont play to the games strengths ( bullet hell/furi style of combat). Regular enemies are insanely varied in terms of gameplay, and have a good mix of melee/bullet hell attacks, encounter design is also great.

Actually to those of who smashed through the entire game, are there more bosses like E3/Crabby boss? And does
9s ever become fun to play as?

Gbraga

I did say I couldn't talk about enemy and boss design, though. In the very next line to the one you quoted.

Good to know that the regular enemies are good, though. That was something a lot of people were worried about.

Shame about the bosses, I hope there's a bunch of good ones.

Absolutely adore the hell out of this game. Even the robots, as clunky and bland as they seem at first, are charming.

Its amazing how they did so much with so little.

I did say I couldn't talk about enemy and boss design, though. In the very next line to the one you quoted.

Good to know that the regular enemies are good, though. That was something a lot of people were worried about.

Shame about the bosses, I hope there's a bunch of good ones.

Thats exactly what i mean though. Combat alone does not make an action game.

Bosses being bad for an action game, doesnt make them bad though. Like they are still great because of the dialogue and music, especially when the music is completely different to what we're used too.

sanstesy

(btw, nobody sensitive about spoilers click this)

30 tracks seems about right, but also keep in mind that this game uses tons and tons and tons of stems/dynamic mixes of tracks just like the first game. Any soundtracks floating around on youtube and whatnot are either going to be direct rips of files or people recording from the BGM jukebox or playing the game without any sound effects turned on.

We're not going to know what the "full" soundtrack is until the album comes out. Don't forget that part of why Nier Replicant/Gestalt's soundtrack album is so substantial is that it contains full mixes of individual parts and stems from the dynamic tracks, as well as long-ish versions of the "complete" tracks as well.

I don't think the mixes will change my mind of the soundtrack being way worse than the original if this is really it. While sounding distinctly Nier the melodies across the board are just too forgettable.

On the other hand, at least that Beauvoir boss theme is easily on par with the best from the original. shits LIT af

silva1991

That alone makes MGR a better action game IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMzPgEHTJ4

waat 2:03

How do you unlock that? it looks like that dog has his own moveset and isn't just a skin(kinda) like king zero from Bayonetta 1

latest

Hektor

Example 1

Vague example, no specific plot spoilers, just about boss design.
A large majority of the time spent in encounters with the main villains, are boss battles which you are not meant to win. You simply just dodge attacks, why the game lets you think you are fighting them.
Whilst this dialogue heavy gameplay is what i want from a nier game, its not what you want in an action game at all.

It's literally just one boss and the first phase of another boss that is designed this way. You're exaggerating

Actually to those of who smashed through the entire game, are there more bosses like E3/Crabby boss? And does
9s ever become fun to play as?

Yes. The (imho) second best bossfight you have yet to look forward to.

If you don't find him fun now you'll never will. That said, are you utilizing his hacking ability? Cos he's very much designed around this minigame more than anything. I think you even miss out on some boss stories if you don't use it on them, like the opera one.

waat 2:03

How do you unlock that? it looks like that dog has his own moveset and isn't just a skin(kinda) like king zero from Bayonetta 1

latest

It's a story dlc

It's literally just one boss and the first phase of another boss that is designed this way. You're exaggerating

-First encounter with eve you walk over him whilst listening to dialogue
-Second encounter you listen and dodge
-Third encounter, the first phase is just dodging which is about 2 minutes long

Er i count three encounters where very little gameplay is present with just E. Thats not an exaggeration, when the actual boss fight is a few minutes long.

Compare this to an action game rival, lumen sage for example
- Meet lumen sage, non stop action.
- Meet lumen sage, you guessed it, non stop action

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting infrequent frame rate hitching when running around the open world? Feels like it's a streaming thing, catching up with assets. This is on a Pro.

Finalow

uh. did anyone manage to kill those 2 machines in the Flooded City? If you've been there before the story events you should know what I'm talking about.
I remember trying to kill the smaller one, literally 10 minutes spent attacking it and I couldn't even take off 1/20 of his HP bar. I don't think it was my attack too low or its defense too high, just a HUGE amount of HP.

I went back there now I couldn't find them anymore.

Is anyone else getting infrequent frame rate hitching when running around the open world? Feels like it's a streaming thing, catching up with assets. This is on a Pro.

Performance is awful in open word, mainly near the starting area and a
forest
later on. But the hitching is always present, its likely loading the next area, very similar to dark souls 3 on PC issues.

Hektor

-First encounter with eve you walk over him whilst listening to dialogue
-Second encounter you listen and dodge
-Third encounter, the first phase is just dodging which is about 2 minutes long

Er i count three encounters where very little gameplay is present with just E. Thats not an exaggeration, when the actual boss fight is a few minutes long.

Compare this to an action game rival, lumen sage for example
- Meet lumen sage, you guessed it, non stop action

But the first encounter with Eve is a actual fight. Sure, not the most challenging one, but a fight nonetheless.

I wasn't saying you're exagerating the length of these segments, i'm saying it's an exaggeration to call it a bad action game over it.

Could this be handled better? Sure. But at the end of the day it's 2 or 3 "event fights" in a game with over a dozen proper boss battles.

Yea, you're right it's a streaming related issue.

uh. did anyone manage to kill those 2 machines in the Flooded City? If you've been there before the story events you should know what I'm talking about.
I remember trying to kill the smaller one, literally 10 minutes spent attacking it and I couldn't even take off 1/20 of his HP bar. I don't think it was my attack too low or its defense too high, just a HUGE amount of HP.

I went back there now I couldn't find them anymore.

You'll be able to kill them at some point. You'll probably realize when.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Asked this before but didn't get an answer-

Should I be selling all the loot that has "sell for money" in its description? Are there any items marked with that description that are useful for other things?

Also, is there any way to quickly switch between your chip loadouts?

But the first encounter with Eve is a actual fight. Sure, not the most challenging one, but a fight nonetheless.

I wasn't saying you're exagerating the length of these segments, i'm saying it's an exaggeration to call it a bad action game over it.

Could this be handled better? Sure. But at the end of the day it's 2 or 3 "event fights" in a game with over a dozen proper boss battles.

I dont think its a bad action game :p I was saying "bad".

Finished Route A, as a nier game game it's been great so far, as an action game it's a mixed bag. Only like two real bosses the whole route D: But all bosses are great nier moments.

This is my thoughts so far. Minus the small amount i've played today.
I really want more furi/bullet hell style bosses though!

Hybrid897

Huh, didn't realise you could double/triple charge your pod skills till now (if you have the extra pods). Hold L1 and use left/right dpad.

Finalow

Huh, didn't realise you could double/triple charge your pod skills till now (if you have the extra pods). Hold L1 and use left/right dpad.
I actually had no idea you could this. nice find

I dont think its a bad action game :p I was saying "bad".

This is my thoughts so far. Minus the small amount i've played today.
I really want more furi/bullet hell style bosses though!
those 3 encounters work well exactly because this is a Nier game, not a pure action game like Bayonetta/DMC. I especially liked the contrast between the first 2.
you have a balance between 'non-stop action' bosses and 'nier-esque' bosses, which again, works really well. "great Nier moments" is what most people want from this game, I believe.

also I'm gonna take a wild guess, but if you've only finished route A you're probably still missing a lot of content, bosses included.

Just finished A route.

I don't dislike the characters, but thus far they aren't nearly as endearing as Nier's ragtag adventuring party, and as a result, I'm having a harder time getting invested in the emotional moments. I'm really hoping the additional routes will flesh the main cast out.

Also, it bothered me how inconsistent 2B's mobility was in the final showdown and cutscenes. She can't attack towards the end of the battle, but then she stabs Eve, but then she has to painstakingly strangle 9S in a quality Taro Yoko love scene, but then she's holding her sword again so she could have jst stabbed him.

The story felt rushed yet unfocused. Lots of exciting setpieces like the original, but they mostly ring hollow because there's no overarching goal connecting them. Shit just kind of happens.

Also the credits song was lacking. Maybe reading the lyrics would improve it, but it just sounded lame and not on the level of Taro's usual powerful credit rolls.

I had a really good time with the sidequests, though, even when they were bastards. All of the robots are incredibly charming.

Hopefully the rest of the routes will make me ashamed of my words and my deeds.

Unless the combat is worse than the demo for whatever reason, y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Of course I can't talk about enemy and boss design, as I didn't play the full game myself, but mechanical depth of the battle system? It's fantastic.

Not DMC4 levels, but better than Revengeance for sure, and that wasn't trying to be an RPG at the same time.

the demo was 30 minutes long and apparently had 3/4th of the entire melee moves.
mgr was like 7 hours and had more moves. its okay if people arent finding its combat as great when playing a 30-40 hour long game...
theres nothing wrong with them, the game just isnt for everyone,
some people were expecting mass appeal for the game with platinum tagging in but thats still not the case from the looks of it and thats that.
its still every bit as nier as it should be but its not the game what some were hoping for

mankoto

On Route C and something strange is happening. When I'm in the city the game no longer drops in frames, but instead looks like its trying to load in the desert for a frame or two every few seconds. And now the mini-map flat-out won't load anything but icons.

On base PS4 if that matters.

Edit: The problem seems to have fixed itself overtime. Strange.

N° 2048

So this game is way deeper than I thought it would be. I'm only 13 hours in and haven't reached any ending except the
desert a mission one when the Goliath arrives.

and now I'm reading of cool little hidden things like (SPOILERS):
Robot heads in the Desert somewhere?
Engine Blade from FFXV

and holy shit at the music at the end of
side quests

Thought this would be a quick one before Horizon but looks like I'll be shelving Horizon for more time with Nier :p

again, the music:
d8239950f64f7e7a3395d40a4a18e2f2.gif

dmr87

Asked this before but didn't get an answer-

Should I be selling all the loot that has "sell for money" in its description? Are there any items marked with that description that are useful for other things?

Exactly the question I was about to ask.

It didn't? The demo only had two out of 4 weapon types. Add to that that different weapons of the same type have sometimes different moves and another big thing i can't event alk about due to spoilers

you could also use punches and kicks if you unequipped a weapon
3 .
i asked here and someone explicitly told me that different weapons in the same type dont have different moves and the demo had the highest level of combos unlocked

is the other big thing
hacking?

if not feel free to spoil away

Ganondorfo

So is the Soundtrack as perfect as the first game? I listen randomly on some youtube tracks and it doesnt have that "I am blown away like I did with Nier 1" music. Still its still amazing music.

Hektor

you could also use punches and kicks if you unequipped a weapon
3 .
i asked here and someone explicitly told me that different weapons in the same type dont have different moves and the demo had the highest level of combos unlocked

is the other big thing
hacking?

if not feel free to spoil away

I didn't experimented with all weapons, so guess it's a mixed bag and some weapons of a type do share movesets and some don't.

This is also a big story spoiler so click at your own risk

3 different characters all with different movesets.

I didn't experimented with all weapons, so guess it's a mixed bag and some weapons of a type do share movesets and some don't.

This is also a big story spoiler so click at your own risk

3 different characters all with different movesets.

Interesting, first time im hearing of that...

for the second point, i know about it
but isnt
9s the same as 2b but with 1 weapon and a hacking minigame tied to the second weapon slot

i have absolutely no idea about
a2 ,if she's even playable and how she differs , so ill appreciate if you can somewhat elaborate on that

just got ending A after 24 hours (did all sidequests available)

that was a bit anti-climactic, didn't except this to be the "final boss"

but since there many différence in the other route, that's not really a problem!

Just finished A route.

I don't dislike the characters, but thus far they aren't nearly as endearing as Nier's ragtag adventuring party, and as a result, I'm having a harder time getting invested in the emotional moments. I'm really hoping the additional routes will flesh the main cast out.

same opinion here about the characters, but i'm sure the other route will change our mind, especially how route B begins!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So is the Soundtrack as perfect as the first game? I listen randomly on some youtube tracks and it doesnt have that "I am blown away like I did with Nier 1" music. Still its still amazing music.

Honestly, I just hope SE pulls the same trick they did with the FFXV OST, and offer it dirt cheap on Google Play. Such a bargain compared to importing it on CD.

just got ending A after 24 hours (did all sidequests available)

that was a bit anti-climactic, didn't except this to be the "final boss"

but since there many différence in the other route, that's not really a problem!

Someone like Hektor can confirm. This is purely speculation based on what i know so far, but i would expect that this game is split into 4~ parts
- 2B story
-9S story
-A2 story
- Climatic even like Birth by sleep

Hektor

Interesting, first time im hearing of that...

for the second point, i know about it
but isnt
9s the same as 2b but with 1 weapon and a hacking minigame tied to the second weapon slot

i have absolutely no idea about
a2 ,if she's even playable and how she differs , so ill appreciate if you can somewhat elaborate on that

9S got is heavy attack with a hacking minigame replaced yes, but his normal moves also differ, his sword attacks for example mainly consist of throwing his sword in short ranges. 2B has a few smiliar moves but mostly proper melee range stuff. 9S is more of a midrange character than her due to that and the hacking.

A2 is also fully playable, she feels like a faster version of 2B but doesn't have any form of mid range attacks other than the pod. She's also got a special dodge that leads into special moves once she starst blinking red and a berserk mode.that gradually drains your hp in favor of extra damage

Someone like Hektor can confirm. This is purely speculation based on what i know so far, but i would expect that this game is split into 4~ parts
- 2B story
-9S story
-A2 story
- Climatic even like Birth by sleep

Shall i tell you?

Aeana

Man, setting the camera's vertical auto adjust to 0 and setting the distance (standard) setting to a few notches above default really helps. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner, especially since I maxed out the combat distance slider way earlier on.

9S got is heavy attack with a hacking minigame replaced yes, but his normal moves also differ, his sword attacks for example mainly consist of throwing his sword in short ranges. 2B has a few smiliar moves but mostly proper melee range stuff. 9S is more of a midrange character than her due to that and the hacking.

A2 is also fully playable, she feels like a faster version of 2B but doesn't have any form of mid range attacks other than the pod. She's also got a special dodge that leads into special moves once she starst blinking red and a berserk mode.that gradually drains your hp in favor of extra damage

Shall i tell you?

interesting ...
when you say special moves for a2 from dodges are they like proper distinguishable moves or just a slightly different regular looking attack?

Also what are your thoughts on the pod skills? the last person i talked to had 53% of them so are
there like 20 ish of them
also am i right to assume each character gets different outfits ? i couldnt care less about 2b's bum lol

thanks!

@ Hektor to scared to quote cause of large spoiler tags. But yea sure, just lemme know if i'm in the right ball park....otherwise im setting myself up for disappointment.

Hektor

interesting ...
when you say special moves for a2 from dodges are they like proper distinguishable moves or just a slightly different regular looking attack?

Also what are your thoughts on the pod skills? the last person i talked to had 53% of them so are
there like 20 ish of them
also am i right to assume each character gets different outfits ? i couldnt care less about 2b's bum lol

thanks!

Well, if you put it that way it's more of the ladder than the former, tho the dodge slide is really fun and the animations amazing to look at.

The podskills are msotly fairly great and useful, very varied in what they can do. Tho, admitetely i used mirage and laser for 80% of the time, since they do a fuckton of melee respectively ranged damage. place 3/4th are going to the spears because of the temporary disable they put onto smaller enemies and the volt (stun + AoE damage) for similar reasoning.

The hammer is by far the most useless one, since it's a the worst of both worlds combination of Mirage and Laser, doing AoE damage in a midrange in front of you

Only 2B got an actual alternative outfit, the other two only got different headpices like masks and ribbons.

@ Hektor to scared to quote cause of large spoiler tags. But yea sure, just lemme know if i'm in the right ball park....otherwise im setting myself up for disappointment.

Since it's really hard to talk about this without spoiling i won't say more than this

Your general idea is close, though still very wrong at the same time

just a small question here for you.... Where should i
Self-destruct? Is there anywhere where you can trigger a special ending or event outside the bunker?

thanks

Only in the bunker

I got ending A and ending B and golly what a good game. Strong game of the year contender. I start up again and
I just hit the title card
and my mouth has been stuck open since I started.

Game just jumped from best of the year to one of the best ever. jesus christ this is next level

LotusHD

Banned
I got ending A and ending B and golly what a good game. Strong game of the year contender. I start up again and
I just hit the title card
and my mouth has been stuck open since I started.

Game just jumped from best of the year to one of the best ever. jesus christ this is next level

March is gonna be such a good year lol

Top Bottom