• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

These previews are making me excited. I was a bit worried that it would end up being just another shallow platinum title, but it looks like all the rpg meat from the first game is there in full form.

I feel for people expecting a normal platinum game though, hopefully they can learn to like it for what it does well.

Let's just be clear, the normal ps4 version runs like shit in the open world (almost never at 60 fps)! I'm playing on it and it's in a really sad state... I still enjoy it, but i will definitely rebuy it on steam on sales to play it at a steady 60 fps

Hmm, I see. I think I will probably get the steam version since it is only 3 days later, I only have a regular ps4 but a pretty decent gaming pc, and a stable frame rate is something I would like.

i'm stuck at the wandering couple quest, where did they go and how do I get there?

Do I have to go further in the main story to finish this?

And can i miss some quests if I dont do them immediately or can i do them in NG+?

Small question, i need to reach a certain area for the photograph quest but can't!

I need to get to the oasis in the desert, but there's a storm that keep me from going there.... i need a photograph from it, already got the two first ones

i'm stuck at the wandering couple quest, where did they go and how do I get there?

And can i miss some quests if I dont do them immediately or can i do them in NG+?

what was your last event with them? Just check the map, there will be a point where they re-appear, go through the story if they're not on the map

Picked this up from the HK store on thursday evening. Been playing it pretty lightly the last couple of days. 2017 came out the gates swinging with crazy good games!

Digging it so far. Music is amazing. Not quite up to Nier level yet but it's getting there. Impressed that some side quests have their own themes.

Combat is hit or miss with me at the moment. It's definitely slimmer than typical action games, with a heavy skew towards the rpg side of things regarding damage numbers, etc. Not a fan of having to relock on to every enemy, and getting some real nasty camera issues in cramped spaces or narrow hallways. Rocking light sword/heavy spear on set one, and light sword/greatsword on set two atm.

So far, combat is not winning me over. It feels real loose and kind of button-mashy but that could easily be because I'm coming off from Ni-oh and For Honor.

I am not terribly far into the game. Beat the first real boss, and am currently doing sidequests. Lots of backtracking, just like Nier.

Quick question regarding selling a specific item:
is it safe to sell machine cores? I saw the question earlier but the answer was yes/no, and I'm not totally sure what that means.

Small question, i need to reach a certain area for the photograph quest but can't!

I need to get to the oasis in the desert, but there's a storm that keep me from going there.... i need a photograph from it, already got the two first ones

what was your last event with them? Just check the map, there will be a point where they re-appear, go through the story if they're not on the map

i collected the item,they left the village and now there is a a dot on the map but i dont know how to get there, its north of the camp.

And question for another quest: how much do you have to invest in the inventor quest?

TissueBox

Wow just got screwed over by the stupidest possible glitch that won't let me progress. And the last save point was right before an onslaught of back to back stages I barely stayed awake through and was probably the most honestly challenging (from a technical standpoint) yet.

*headdesk*

Welp, time to hit the sheets. I will return to you later game.

But for anyone who has finished playthrough C, question.
WTF lmao I don't know if I should laugh or cry..? Basically this is on the second tower, after you hack through all the other security measures, and show up in 9S's memories in his body. Problem is, as he's walking up to the platform with 2B the bodies on the ground are friken blocking his path..!! And since I can't jump or sprint or turn...I'm assuming I'm stuck? Or is there some other trick? Also did anybody else get this bug lol? Trolliest one yet in my book...>_<

Anything is much obliged thank you, particularly if it means I don't need to revert to my last save.

Go around from the north side and do plenty of sprint bursting!

jonjonaug

Run counterclockwise around the red circle, eventually you should find a way past when you see some trees.

You can do that one in the second loop. You need 50K G to clear it, so you might want to wait until NG+ anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
doh. I played the demo portion and got to the install screen. It looks like I don't have a save file anymore after returning to the title. Bummer.

I think the relic hunting quest might be one of the worst subquests Taro has ever come up with. I found the staff and mask, but that was pure luck.

there's a small road piece that goes up, just in front of the head, try there!

Oh that, I triggered the quest by going a bit in front of it (specifically by a slab of protruding ground) and then that started a mini-cutscene. Unless you did that already?
Welp. I think I found the spot, but it's no longer showing up as a target. :(

i collected the item,they left the village and now there is a a dot on the map but i dont know how to get there, its north of the camp.

And question for another quest: how much do you have to invest in the inventor quest?

You need to go there by a sewer, there's an entrance in the
Huge hole created by the goliath, close to north-east i think
in the city ruins!

Run counterclockwise around the red circle, eventually you should find a way past when you see some trees.

You can do that one in the second loop. You need 50K G to clear it, so you might want to wait until NG+ anyway.

Thanks for the tip for my quest!

As for what you said about wandering couple... what? I did it on my first playthrough directly

TissueBox

'Member last week's episode? Well I went through all the stages again, got to the part I'd left off on...and just got the same exact glitch.

*double headdesk*

This is agitating, moreso because it's like...I want to say 'just go around them dammit' to the screen but nothing will change of course. (sigh)

I'mma restart the application and try this one more time. If the glitch is still there... *looks at desk* I just hope someone finds a fix for it eventually. >_<

jonjonaug

Cleared Ending E. That final boss...

I think that was the best instance of (DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME)
summoning other players for help
that I've ever seen in a game, and it was the simplest fucking thing in the world. It's literally
everyone's wish for a happy ending overcoming Yoko Taro's nihilism

I got a good laugh out of the
bottom of the list of messages you could leave for players having trouble with the final boss too

SilentRob

Does anybody know where exactly the three Characters for the sidequest "YoRHa Betrayers" are? I've been searching the target area in the city ruins for an embarassing amoiunt of time @_____@

Lunafreya

I finished the main story entirely yesterday and I've got to say this is one of the best current-gen games I've ever played and definitely my favorite Yoko Taro work!

I hope everyone has a good time with NieR: Automata when it arrives for them and those who already have it I hope you enjoyed it as much as me if not then I understand, since Taro games are pretty niche!

The time it took me to finish the game were
28 hours for the main story on HARD.
I'm planning on platting it now so wheee more hours and more NieR!

it seems like some people were expecting bayonetta or DMC level combat when we knew going in that they intentionally stripped it down to be a better platinum esque version of the original action RPG Nier game as opposed to a full on platinum action game experience

This is not what i or others are talking about....maybe some people who didnt play demo are.
But even after the demo, i still expected it to be a great action game, and it would be, but being a nier game is always put first.

I've said like a million times that nier has good gameplay, its all about the dialogue which happens during it. Nier:A still has this dialogue heavy gameplay, and gameplay which is used to tell a story, but that gameplay often gets in the way of being a good action game.

Xliskin

The hype for this game's gameplay is really overhyped , when I played the demo it felt Drakengard 3 gameplay but platinum version which is why I'm happy with it but as I said ppl really hyped up to the point it others expected to reach Bayonetta level and I don't think it even reached MGR TBH

Hektor

These previews are making me excited. I was a bit worried that it would end up being just another shallow platinum title, but it looks like all the rpg meat from the first game is there in full form.

Surprisingly enough, Automata is even more of an RPG then OG NieR was.

jonjonaug

Does anybody know where exactly the three Characters for the sidequest "YoRHa Betrayers" are? I've been searching the target area in the city ruins for an embarassing amoiunt of time @_____@

Check your map and move the camera angle to view it from the side. You can usually get a good grip on where the target is on the vertical axis this way.

Some of those guys are hanging around on rooftops IIRC, so check up there.

Jiraiza

I don't think they thought the collision detection of dead bodies of other players very well. I got literally stuck and could not move forward and trigger an event because I couldn't control my character any longer.

jonjonaug

I don't think they thought the collision detection of dead bodies of other players very well. I got literally stuck from not being able to move forward and could not trigger an event because I couldn't control my character any longer.

Yeah I noticed other places where you had to remove the body to interact with things, so I can imagine that'll happen too.

raven777

There are 3 areas shown in the map and it appears in one of the 3 spots in random. So search for all 3 areas.

SilentRob

There are 3 areas shown in the map and it appears in one of the 3 spots in random. So search for all 3 areas.

Not the case for me. It's just one huge, red circle in the city ruins.

Apparently, the three Droids only appear later after doing a few more story missions, even though the quest already tells me they should be around there somewhere. At least that's what I found out via Google. Wouldn't be the first misleading/bugged side quest >_<

Gbraga

Unless the combat is worse than the demo for whatever reason, y'all don't know what you're talking about.

Of course I can't talk about enemy and boss design, as I didn't play the full game myself, but mechanical depth of the battle system? It's fantastic.

Not DMC4 levels, but better than Revengeance for sure, and that wasn't trying to be an RPG at the same time.

Moaradin

Saying it has less depth than MGR is weird to me. That game has great combat, but it's very basic compared to every other Platinum game. Just the demo of Nier seemed a bit more complex to me with the weapon switching and pods.

Hybrid897

Anyone know whats with the elevators with the apologetic machines in front? Found 2 of them. I've cleared the game endings
A-E
at this point.

komorebi

Let's just be clear, the normal ps4 version runs like shit in the open world (almost never at 60 fps)! I'm playing on it and it's in a really sad state... I still enjoy it, but i will definitely rebuy it on steam on sales to play it at a steady 60 fps

Man, if this is the case then does the PS4 Pro improve it in any way? I've only seen two people complaining about the games performance, you and Slaythe. Just about everyone else is over the moon in love. Is the games performance really that bad? Oo

Gbraga

Saying it has less depth than MGR is weird to me. That game has great combat, but it's very basic compared to every other Platinum demo. Just the demo of Nier seemed a bit more complex to me with the weapon switching and pods.

Exactly.

As someone said in the demo thread, I feel like people are confusing breadth and depth. Automata won't hit you in the face with a huge dial-a-combo list, but it gives you a bunch of unique moves and ways to cancel between them, for you to create your own combos with your creativity. MGR has a bigger "combo list", but not as much space for chaining things togehter. It has blade mode cancelling, but that's about it.

I'd bet if you compare "preset combos", MGR has a lot more than DMC4. I don't think we need to discuss which one has a deeper combat system, though.

Like, look at this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtevArEmNDQ

This is just from the demo. There's one for the full game in his channel already, but I'm not watching in fear of spoilers, but it should be even better, even though it's still week one tech.

McGwigan

Banned
Still waiting for US launch. Without spoiling can anyone say if there's more diversity to the world than just the desert, forest, and industrial maps? Or is that basically it?

Hektor

Man, if this is the case then does the PS4 Pro improve it in any way? I've only seen two people complaining about the games performance, you and Slaythe. Just about everyone else is over the moon in love. Is the games performance really that bad? Oo

I really did not had any big performance issues other than some worldstreaming related drops.

But hey, that just may be the Drakengard 3 player in me speaking

Still waiting for US launch. Without spoiling can anyone say if there's more diversity to the world than just the desert, forest, and industrial maps? Or is that basically it?

There's more

McGwigan

Banned
I hoped there was more. I was thinking they must have really held back in the trailers to not show too much. Very unlike Square Enix :p

Mesharey

I just wanted to ask how long can you finish one full playthrough?
its about
10 hours for the first run, but you have to use different characters afterward and make different choices to actually complete the game, it should take you 20+ atleast to get to completion

After playing the demo, I expected the combat to be better, I just finished the first boss but lock-on on enemies is annoying because you relock everytime and you need to keep pressing the lock-on, camera also is annoying.

Squire

Banned
I was the one that made the point about breadth/depth in the demo thread. I think it's good to note that one isn't necessarily better than the other, too. That's why both DMC4 and Bayonetta have phenomenal combat.

That Nier has four weapons types, with moves available changing based on how the weapons are paired and which slot they're individually set to is plenty of room for self-expression. This is before even factoring in chips and pods.

Gbraga

After playing the demo, I expected the combat to be better, I just finished the first boss but lock-on on enemies is annoying because you relock everytime and you need to keep pressing the lock-on, camera also is annoying.

Yeah, I can see how lock-on would be half-assed, since it's not even present on Hard.

I was the one that made the point about breadth/depth in the demo thread. I think it's good to note that one isn't necessarily better than the other, too. That's why both DMC4 and Bayonetta have phenomenal combat.

That Nier has four weapons types, with moves available changing based on how the weapons are paired and which slot they're individually set to is plenty of room for self-expression. This is before even factoring in chips and pods.

Oh, for sure. And they're not mutually exclusive either, Bayonetta also has a lot of depth. It goes for a hybrid between free-form and dial-a-combo, and it's actually my favorite game in the "stylish action" genre.

But it's important to point at the distinction, and how much work it takes to fully explore depth, since it doesn't come with an in-game manual, and very much depends on the community doing things even the devs never tried. When you watch a DMC combo video, these aren't things people did on their first playthrough and are still doing today. Some of the techniques took years to be discovered, and some more time on top of that to be mastered and used consistently in combos.

I doubt Itsuno thought about 5% of the shit the best DMC4 players do. But his design vision of giving individual moves with tools for cancelling them was fundamental in making it possible.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I can see how lock-on would be half-assed, since it's not even present on Hard.

Or, for sure. And they're not mutually exclusive either, Bayonetta also has a lot of depth. It goes for a hybrid between free-form and dial-a-combo, and it's actually my favorite game in the "stylish action" genre.

But it's important to point at the distinction, and how much work it takes to fully explore depth, since it doesn't come with an in-game manual, and very much depends on the community doing things even the devs never tried. When you watch a DMC combo video, these aren't things people did on their first playthrough and are still doing today. Some of the techniques took years to be discovered, and some more time on top of that to be mastered and used consistently in combos.

I doubt Itsuno thought about 5% of the shit the best DMC4 players do. But his design vision of giving individual moves with tools for cancelling them was fundamental in making it possible.

Absolutely. Fighting games and some multiplayer shooters are similar. The devs lay out good fundamentals and tools and the community goes from there.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
For those who finished the game twice:
Is it worth it? Or should I just YT the second ending? I really don't like playing as 9S. :/

Xliskin

Exactly.

As someone said in the demo thread, I feel like people are confusing breadth and depth. Automata won't hit you in the face with a huge dial-a-combo list, but it gives you a bunch of unique moves and ways to cancel between them, for you to create your own combos with your creativity. MGR has a bigger "combo list", but not as much space for chaining things togehter. It has blade mode cancelling, but that's about it.

I'd bet if you compare "preset combos", MGR has a lot more than DMC4. I don't think we need to discuss which one has a deeper combat system, though.

Like, look at this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtevArEmNDQ

This is just from the demo. There's one for the full game in his channel already, but I'm not watching in fear of spoilers, but it should be even better, even though it's still week one tech.

That alone makes MGR a better action game IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMzPgEHTJ4

Does anyone know what is up with the "scientist" who wants me to invest in him? Is there an end point to giving him money, or is it just a way to get random items?

cube001

So I was doing the speed star quest, finished the first two phases and got tired doing the third so I stopped, kept doing other stuff and the guy was floating around the same place I found him at first.

Now that I have 3 speed chips I wanted to challenge him again but he is no where to be found, the quest is still active though and I'm not sure if this is normal or a glitch, any ideas?

Top Bottom