• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Slaythe

How are the impressions of this game right now? Next big thing or hmm meh?

This is sandwiched between Horizon, Zelda, and Mass Effect Andromeda.

This is not the "next big thing".

Wasn't going to be.

It has a lot flaws and a lot of charms. Most people have a positive opinion thanks to the positives but it definitely is not as polished as one could expect.

convo

Sure as hell not as big as Horizon or Zelda . People seeking a very specific niche aren't getting exactly what they want. It's a fun to play game with a worthwhile story, it's still a weird game by Yoko Taro and more people will see what this guy is about in this game.The prospect of Robutt will bring a bunch of new guys in. Astronomically bigger success than the first Nier or any Drakengard game.

Crayon

Well Zelda's actually much harder now according to the previews, so technically you'll be playing one hard game, and one half-hard game. (It's still Zelda I suppose.)
Although Nier can be made easier.

It would be very nice if Zelda is more challenging this time around. Nier I'm going to try on hard, and I will bump it down to normal if it's really out of my league. Horizon I plan to play on Hard, as well. I'm not actually the most skilled player, but when games have really good control and gameplay, I usually go for hard mode because it forces me to jump in and really learn and experiment with the gameplay. I don't mind retrying a section several times if the game has rewarding gameplay and with greater challenge comes the greater reward.

So, from walkthroughs it looks like the first mission doesn't end in a no-escape text adventure?

Wonder if it's is a region-lock-esque measure because I'm playing on a US PS4, or a bug.

Strings

So, from walkthroughs it looks like the first mission doesn't end in a no-escape text adventure?

Wonder if it's is a region-lock-esque measure because I'm playing on a US PS4, or a bug.

What the fuck? I'm playing the Jpn version on an Aus console, so it's not that.

... Are you just dying in the opening mission,
triggering the joke ending
?

I found a little unmapped alcove in the desert with three generic machine enemies in it. Is there any point to it? It's hard to see anything in there with the sandstorm.

Also, am I missing any loot in the
field of Emil heads
in the desert, or is that just a lore/plot thing?

TissueBox

Huh first time I've heard that one. No that shouldn't occur lol. Did you try playing the game while it installed? Heard that could cause issues..

I found a little unmapped alcove in the desert with three generic machine enemies in it. Is there any point to it? It's hard to see anything in there with the sandstorm.

Also, am I missing any loot in the
field of Emil heads
in the desert, or is that just a lore/plot thing?

The latter I think. I looked everywhere to see if
Emil
was there.

Slaythe

So how do you get stronger in this game ?

I don't run into a lot of chips... and I'm getting one shot by everything, it's getting old because I have to run back every time because of one mistake.

Huh first time I've heard that one. No that shouldn't occur lol. Did you try playing the game while it onstalled? Heard that could cause issues..
The aforementioned unwinnable text dialogue screen complains that it's installing, but it was installed before I started.

What the fuck? I'm playing the Jpn version on an Aus console, so it's not that.

... Are you just dying in the opening mission,
triggering the joke ending
?
No, different from the joke ending. Which is also annoying as shit, but maybe that's the point? I guess bad game design is art, right?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

From what I've been playing, the world is more or less like a lesser version of FFXV's world in terms of size, graphical quality, and variety... but it's still great.

Think of NieR or an action RPG but put it in a desolate, post-apocalyptic, open world.

The game plays like NieR alright with a lesser Bayonetta gameplay craze. Lots of "change in genres", lack of polish, but still a great and charming game.

Also I've been using the auto attack chips since I'm lazy and I just want to mash buttons without dying.

Jiraiza

I have A-E, G, W and Z.

I'd like the intelligence on other ones if available. If it's too much to type out and/or explain, it's cool.

Let's see...

F - Let the timer run out when fixing 9S on top of the first goliath boss.
K - Eat the mackerel given by Jackass.
L - Desert the mission area when you're fighting against the crab boss in front of the camp as 2B.
M - Desert the mission area when Pascal's Village is under attack as A2.
P - Let 2B reach 100% system corruption.
T - Remove your OS chip.
U - Self-destruct in the Bunker.

I honestly can't remember the other ones well, but I can list out the situations you can do to get the endings.

1 - Kill Pascal when given the choice as A2.
2 - Desert the mission area when you go look for 2B before she gets killed by A2.

I know I'm missing some more, but I can't remember them.

Strings

The aforementioned unwinnable text dialogue screen complains that it's installing, but it was installed before I started.

Hm, are you on patch 1.03? Maybe the install bug fix is something bizarre like what you're experiencing. I honestly have no clue otherwise.

TissueBox

No, different from the joke ending. Which is also annoying as shit, but maybe that's the point? I guess bad game design is art, right?

Sounds like a bug. If all else fails (restarting, new game) you might have to reinstall...>_<

Though, what's the text adventure like if you don't mind being reminded it exists? :p

EDIT: Nvm saw edit.

Hm, are you on patch 1.03? Maybe the install bug fix is something bizarre like what you're experiencing. I honestly have no clue otherwise.
Yeah, 1.03.

It's possible it just faked me out and isn't installed all the way. The PS4 is still sucking a lot of bandwidth according to my router. So maybe that's it? I'll let it chill until it learns to relax.

Odd that the UI says all is well, full speed ahead, I'd expect the system to not let me start the game.

edit: I started pressing buttons on the menu, "Information" under the options menu says it indeed is still downloading and not installed. Usually I'd say I'm an idiot for missing this, but... why hide it...? Sony's fault and not the game's, though.

Let's see...

K - Eat the mackerel given by Jackass.
P - Let 2B reach 100% system corruption.
T - Remove your OS chip.
U - Self-destruct in the Bunker.

I honestly can't remember the other ones well, but I can list out the situations you can do to get the endings.

1 - Desert the mission area when you're fighting against the crab boss in front of the camp as 2B.
2 - Let the timer run out when fixing 9S on top of the first goliath boss.
3 - Kill Pascal when given the choice as A2.
4 - Desert the mission area when you go look for 2B before she gets killed by A2.

I know I'm missing some more, but I can't remember them.

Wow, great stuff.

Thank you for this! I should go for them I guess. I want to get the Plat legit. Not the cheating way.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i can't get over the
second fight with adam...that fight with that musing on all things humanity, it really encapulates the futile pointlessness of the game, humans are all gone, all that's left are the remnants of scraps of metal they created. Humanity itself doesn't even have to exist to propagate war and conflict with its legacy

So beautiful and great...

The english dub is exceptionally well done, def on par with the first Nier and that music...might be an unpopular opinion, but "Copied City" is definitely my favorite song so far in the OST

It's not fully installed. The full game is like 45GB.

Slowly updating my list as I look through my videos, so keep an eye out.

Will do. Thanks again. I'm torn on booting it up for endings or my search for a character. The latter is not going well.

Though, if you want something that isn't well known, I'm looking for entrances to doors in the
forest
area. One is that the back-end of the
castle
and the other is behind a waterfall. I'll let you know if I figure out where these two lead two and/or how to attain the keys.

Xadjim

Banned
I mean, it always looked like a very good action rpg. Thoughtful battlesystem, well designed enemy AI and gameplay. Does this still apply? And awesome boss battles with music I hope.

garion333

Neo Member
Yeah, 1.03.

It's possible it just faked me out and isn't installed all the way. The PS4 is still sucking a lot of bandwidth according to my router. So maybe that's it? I'll let it chill until it learns to relax.

Odd that the UI says all is well, full speed ahead, I'd expect the system to not let me start the game.

edit: I started pressing buttons on the menu, "Information" under the options menu says it indeed is still downloading and not installed. Usually I'd say I'm an idiot for missing this, but... why hide it...? Sony's fault and not the game's, though.

Well, at least you'll be able to complete the intro on higher difficulties without much issue now. ;)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean, it always looked like a very good action rpg. Thoughtful battlesystem, well designed enemy AI and gameplay. Does this still apply? And awesome boss battles with music I hope.

well yeah...but that story....that's what makes it for me. THe music, the VA(japanese and english) the combat, art deco..it all comes together to form Yoko taro's most comprehensive game yet

this is not a Platinum games story

Slaythe

This part yes. The rest, not really.

But if you want a great action RPG, one is gonna be rereleased soon (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on ps4) with several improvements at the end of match :).

Jiraiza

Will do. Thanks again. I'm torn on booting it up for endings or my search for a character. The latter is not going well.

Though, if you want something that isn't well known, I'm looking for entrances to doors in the
forest
area. One is that the back-end of the
castle
and the other is behind a waterfall. I'll let you know if I figure out where these two lead two and/or how to attain the keys.

I'm still on route C right now, so it'll be awhile before I start exploring other stuff in the game, haha.

On another note, a pretty funny bug I came across when finishing up the first playthrough. Don't click if you haven't finished the first playthrough.

https://youtu.be/UGgrp68UCvI

No idea if it has been fixed already, though.

Roussow

Alrighty, I've purchased it off the HK store!

Now, am I safe to hit download, log out of my HK PSN account, and log back into my AU PSN account? Will Nier be listed in my Aus Library? Does any of this make a difference?

Strings

Alrighty, I've purchased it off the HK store!

Now, am I safe to hit download, log out of my HK PSN account, and log back into my AU PSN account? Will Nier be listed in my Aus Library? Does any of this make a difference?

Yep, should do. You'll see it DLing on the home screen of your main account.

Mendrox

Holy shit some people should stop playing games. Watching https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood and he got Ending A, after the credits there is even a big fucking PR message from Square Enix (have they added this?) which tells you to play more cause you havent seen everything.

He just thinks after 9 hours there is nothing else and that every other playthrough are just different perspectives and not new content...

Edit: At least he is interested what changes now lol

Have so many people skipped NieR? :(

LotusHD

Banned
Holy shit some people should stop playing games. Watching https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood and he got Ending A, after the credits there is even a big fucking PR message from Square Enix (have they added this?) which tells you to play more cause you havent seen everything.

He just thinks after 9 hours there is nothing else and that every other playthrough are just different perspectives and not new content...

What did the PR message literally say

Edit: At least he is interested what changes now lol

Have so many people skipped NieR? :

On GAF? None that I know of (though I can't look at spoilers, so meh, what do I know), but at first we did have people questioning the game's length and thinking that the future playthroughs would just be you repeating stuff.

TissueBox

On third route (late spoiker I think)
having to choose between killing Pascal or erasing his memories
. F*CK this choice, I'm going to go get a bite. And think first lol. Thanks for making me question the meaning of existence Taro, le sigh.

Mendrox

Ah I can't see it now again, but it was literally

"Thank you for playing NieR: Automata

You are not finished yet, there is much more etc. You are supposed to be to get multiple endings

[More Text]

Thank you

Square Enix PR"

On GAF? None that I know of (though I can't look at spoilers, so meh, what do I know), but at first we did have people questioning the game's length and thinking that the future playthroughs would just be you repeating stuff.

Oh really? I thought that I played this game cause of GAF back then and at first the game was boring and after the first half I got hooked by everything and pierced by the music. One of my most precios gaming experiences.

Xadjim

Banned
This part yes. The rest, not really.

But if you want a great action RPG, one is gonna be rereleased soon (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on ps4) with several improvements at the end of match :).

So is it save to assume that nier atomatas battlesystem is close as good as kh2?

Just found out the fun way that if you use the hammer inside the
castle (Nice Metroidvania theme here btw)
it zooms out past the edge of the stage.

Top Bottom