• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Is Link androgynous?

All male. And, judging from what we've seen of his interactions with Zelda in the trailers, he'll be more explicitly straight than ever before.

Too bad too, a male Gay/Queer Link was always my second most desired change to the character, if Girl Link was impossible.

Spinifex

All male. And, judging from what we've seen of his interactions with Zelda in the trailers, he'll be more explicitly straight than ever before.

Too bad too, a male Gay/Queer Link was always my second most desired change to the character, if Girl Link was impossible.

Well crossdressing Link isn't entirely out of the question. That's gotta count for something.

Well crossdressing Link isn't entirely out of the question. That's gotta count for something.

I actually think his current design/oufit is the best ever, it'd just be cooler if he was a girl or at least an ambiguously gay guy.

But it's Nintendo, so the latter is impossible and they've said they aren't interested in the former.

The Lamp

I actually think his current design/oufit is the best ever, it'd just be cooler if he was a girl or at least an ambiguously gay guy.

But it's Nintendo, so the latter is impossible and they've said they aren't interested in the former.

They made Lord Ghirahim and Tingle. They're not afraid of "gay" characters.

They just don't have that in mind for Link.

Seeing all these positive previews and edge's review make glad Aounuma is now the series producer . I doubt Breath of the Wild as it is would have gotten made with Miyamoto's oversight.
??? This is the closest game to Miyamoto's original vision of the series since the first game. I'll never understand the hate-boner some of you people have for him.

The Hermit

One of the games people keep comparing Zelda to is The Witness, especially the environmental puzzles.

This is a HUGEEE plus for me, since I loved those and loathed the line puzzles, especially the Tetris ones.

Neat

qhIXnuP.gif

Um, those don't look like Keese - they look like Patra!

legend_of_zelda__patra_by_deimos_remus.jpg

??? This is the closest game to Miyamoto's original vision of the series since the first game. I'll never understand the hate-boner some of you people have for him.
I already posted some thoughts on the previous page, so I wouldn't want to derail the thread too much more, other than to point out a post from another thread that described the matter quite well:
Eh - I think most people misunderstand the role(s) Miyamoto plays at Nintendo these days. Unlike most (all?) of the producers/directors at big N he has a track record, and now also a formal position that allows the company to task him with the type of projects nobody who is trying to build a career will be able to handle. Examples:
  • WiiU doesn't sell - Figure out a way to make the differentiating point important in Nintendo franchises; [Star Fox Zero]
  • The paper Mario franchise doesn't really live up to its potential. Given that it is not intended to be a full-fledged RPG experience (reclassified to action adventure I believe) please try to make it fulfill its potential
Tasks of this type: have an on average low success rate, are more or less career killers if you are not already very well established, and finally they are all projects that would not get that level of media exposure without a big name behind them.

Nintendo has already decided many of the details that people do not like in these games. You may not like it, but an analyst has had a look at the games portfolio and decided that Paper Mario cannot just be an RPG like the original - it needs to be a bit different to support a particular predecided games catalog profile. Then a developer gets tasked with solving this problem. Sure, Miyamoto also has some "free" or less restricted company time - that gets put towards other projects such as the Pikmin franchise.

The short version - sure I get not liking the products but I think a fair amount of people misunderstand both the role of Miyamoto, the kind of decisions he can and cannot make as well as portfolio planning in general.

Majine

Banned
This will be my third ever combined Nintendo hardware + Zelda game simultaneous purchase!

1998: Game Boy Color + Link's Awakening DX
2011: Nintendo 3DS + Ocarina of Time 3D
2017: Nintendo Switch + Breath of the Wild

NewGame

Banned
Is Link androgynous?

Varies from game to game but he's closer to being gender neutral in this game. That said, he was mistaken for a girl in the preview trailer more so than now (They gave him shoulders BOO NINTENDO BOO etc)

Better yet you can FASHION it up in this game to whatever suits your preference. Still I'd like to see playable Zelda.

The ESRB description of this game hinted that
Lynels
may reappear. I'm quite stoked for that.

This is the one enemy I want to return and it would make a lot of sense considering BotW's inspiration. It would be like how Galaxy and 3D World brought back classic enemies in 3D that hadn't been seen since the 2D era. Got a link to the info?

NewGame

Banned

If you want to understand why people in the WiiU generation started to dislike Miyamoto more than ever watch this video.

I don't hate him... but I do think he 'meddles' more than innovates these days.

Keep Link male and left handed.

Make a Zelda game
Impa character action game.
Give me Malon Horse Ranch Simulator 20XX
Make a Gerudo co-op thief game
And most importantly

GIVE ME A GANONDORF ACTION GAME WITH RTS ELEMENTS

In all honesty I wouldn't personally make a stink about gender if it changed, I'm more annoyed by the lack of left-handedness.

watershed

Banned
Random thought but have any of the major game sites gone back to their reactions to Nintendo's announcement that Zelda WiiU would be the only game playable at E3? The reactions were unanimous that this was a terrible idea, even here on gaf, but of course it was amazing and really started the hype machine for BOTW all the way until now.

This old IGN Nintendo Voice Chat popped up on my Youtube suggested videos: https://youtu.be/H55uOgVnA80

Its amazing how much everyone 180-ed on their reaction to how Nintendo put this all together.

Jobbs

Banned
In all honesty I wouldn't personally make a stink about gender if it changed, I'm more annoyed by the lack of left-handedness.

Him being right handed only highlights the fact that there are different Links. They are different people all together. Therefore it stands to reason he could be a girl. I would have liked that very much, but I'm sure I'll like the game anyway.

Speely

Banned
Random thought but have any of the major game sites gone back to their reactions to Nintendo's announcement that Zelda WiiU would be the only game playable at E3? The reactions were unanimous that this was a terrible idea, even here on gaf, but of course it was amazing and really started the hype machine for BOTW all the way until now.

This old IGN Nintendo Voice Chat popped up on my Youtube suggested videos: https://youtu.be/H55uOgVnA80

Its amazing how much everyone 180-ed on their reaction to how Nintendo put this all together.

The lesson learned here: Never underestimate Nintendo's ability to completely surprise you (for better and/or worse.)

They are in permanent idgaf mode.

Kinsei

Banned
Keep Link male and left handed.

Make a Zelda game
Impa character action game.
Give me Malon Horse Ranch Simulator 20XX
Make a Gerudo co-op thief game
And most importantly

GIVE ME A GANONDORF ACTION GAME WITH RTS ELEMENTS

I'd totally be down for a Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons like game set in the Zelda universe.

People seem to also point out the bad things/idea about Miyamoto. Why not also present the positives? Everyone makes him out to be nothing but a burden. A bit misleading in my opinion

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

NewGame

Banned
I don't know if it's just luck or what but every preview i've watched of this game just shows a barren landscape with 1,2 or 3 enemies spread throughout. Not feeling the hype for this one, they changed Link's appereance and there appears to be no classic green tunic, and some of the classic sound chimes are no longer there, plus the stylistic choices for the game make it look worse than it would've otherwise (washed out AF).

I want to be hyped for it... but i just can't.

It's true- but a lot of the footage you are seeing is from the starting areas where they make things easy simple. Watch some of the more advanced footage from Bill Trinens gameplay. Later areas have you deal with multiple enemy types and more variety.

People seem to also point out the bad things/idea about Miyamoto. Why not also present the positives? Everyone makes him out to be nothing but a burden. A bit misleading in my opinion

Yes. The best testimonial comes from the team itself, and they clearly admire and are still inspired by him:
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-demo/
...That doesn’t mean Miyamoto is gone, however. To the development team, “Miyamoto is God,” Aonuma says. “So even when I say, hey, this is what I think should be done, they’ll always question: ‘Well, what would Miyamoto say?’” In that sense, the team wanted to create something Miyamoto will enjoy...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...s/2-Have-it-Stop-/2-Have-it-Stop--236131.html
Iwata: You mean the sword is something you use to swing to defeat enemies, but now you’re able to hold it still mid-air, and use it for other things. Whose idea was it that you could be able to hold the sword still?
[...]
Fujibayashi: I remember it clearly. All of a sudden, in the middle of the night, Miyamoto-san called us in and said… After he suggested stopping the sword, he said... At first, I think that the two ideas were separate in Miyamoto-san’s head, but I could tell as I listened that when he suggested stopping the sword, then he hit on the sword beam, and the two joined together at that moment…
[...]
Iwata: “Skyward” because you hold it up toward the sky, but I hear that there is a deeper meaning to it as well… That’s very interesting. Using Wii MotionPlus, a device that can detect rapid movements to use it for fast-moving gameplay is one thing. I thought the person who thought of stopping the sword as a form of play was incredible, and it was Miyamoto-san who suggested it. 
Fujibayashi: Yes
Iwata: That’s a bit galling, I suppose. (laughs)
Fujibayashi, Kobayashi, and Tanaka: Oh, yes.
Aonuma: Argh... I wish I had thought of it!
Everyone: (laughs)

Yes. The best testimonial comes from the team itself, and they clearly admire and are still inspired by him:

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that Miyamoto's influence is incredibly pervasive within Nintendo, even for games he has no direct involvement in. I feel like he more than anybody else has shaped Nintendo's current philosophy

Kthulhu

I won't derail the thread but... google the new Mario game if you don't believe me, look at the WW remake, look at BotW and tell me that they wouldn't benefit from a little more contrast?

Look awesome too me. Better artstyles than most AAA games these days.

Who's Gabe? Newell? I don't really get your point, I'm afraid

Gabe is the unfortunate soul born with a heart condition that led to him passing away recently but who was also able to travel to Redmond and get some time with the Bottom e3 demo/meet tree house peeps.

More than ever now I wish he could've lived to play this game

Top Bottom