• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Coffinhal

Gamekult EIC has negative impressions of the Wii U version's IQ and performance:

https://twitter.com/boulapoire/status/836339548175142914

How does he say it compares to Switch?

Rough translation :

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
Visual issues with cutscenes and when getting out of the inventory
Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death"
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu
He installed every patch available
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

According to that video, the indoor lighting effect people were so concerned about is now the same as Switch (or to better say, on Switch is the same as Wii U).
Pretty obvious from the jump that the early lighting in that part was changed. Didn't stop a handful of people trying to make the Wii U > Switch argument though.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Isn't there a day one 3 GB patch for the Wii U version? Maybe that fixes some of the bigger framerate issues.

Maybe someone can correct me, But I believe it is because the GP is in a pretty elevated and central area there is more to draw all around link in the GP as opposed to other points below.

the Great Plataeu area is a framerate variable no matter what version, but the Switch dropped less badly in that area than the Wii U.

Isn't there a day one 3 GB patch for the Wii U version? Maybe that fixes some of the bigger framerate issues.

People playing the game likely already patched it in as it's mandatory to run the game.

Rough translation :

Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

Thanks. I've read the Gamekult guys are huge sticklers when it comes to technical stuff in games, so I'm sure they're correct in this analysis.

It's already available to install.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Money aside there is literally nothing whatsoever keeping the Switch version from being a 'sit at home on my large tv kind of game' since that's the entire concept of the system.

Of course, and they mentioned saving the money. Basically saying Wii U version is good enough for them to not buy a Switch right now since they don't care to play this game portably. Definitely good enough for me as I don't know that I ever want a Switch.

Coffinhal

The Gamekult reviewer applied the patch that was available (I guess that's this one) and still had issues with the Wii U version. He isn't aware of any day one patch.

edit : beaten

DVCY201

Gotta say, Aonuma may have been too ambitious for BotW in terms of hardware. I definitely think many sacrifices were probably made continuously to optimize it as much as possible for Wii U.

The Wii U framerate is fucking rough. Switch had a few issues, but not nearly as frequent and more when there is a lot going on from the videos I've seen

Buggy Loop

Rough translation :

Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops

Voila

Add these impressions with what we've heard also about ambient sounds and load times.

I have a WiiU, but that's why i bought a switch. Not just for this game anyway, it's 100% certain that i was getting a switch, but when i'll recall my experience when Zelda hit our gaming world, i prefer remembering it on the better platform, and a platform i'll actually keep for many years, reloading saves or simply making a new game of Zelda on switch. Plus you know, playing Zelda at university or at the job when there's down times..

BDGAME

Rough translation :

Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops

OK, it's worse than I think. Wii U is out of the question.

Dartastic

I am so torn right now. I'm considering what you're doing, cancelling my Switch/BotW/Pro Controller preorder and just keep the Wii U version. I don't mind paying for the new system, but will get little use outside of Zelda. If the Wii U version is good, that saves $370 until Mario Odyssey drops.

Finding it tough to actually cancel though!
I legitimately don't understand this thinking. If you have the cash and you plan on buying one eventually for stuff like Mario Odyssey, why not just get it now and enjoy it on the Switch? It's definitely going to be a better experience, just due to the fact that it's portable.

Coffinhal

Dang. At least I'm used to playing games with poor performance, so it doesn't bother me too much.

The big bummer imo is the sound design being worse/limited on Wii U

Even if you want to play the game on CEMU (which could solve most of technical issues in a few months) you won't have access to the "master" audio that the Switch will probably have :/

Can we get a spoiler free impression thread since it seems many people are already playing.

Good idea, maybe you can already create it with its rules ?

Rodin

Yep looks like the lighting was changed (downgraded?) in the Wii U version compared to last years e3 build.

Here are some more quick comparison screens. I only see very very minor visual differences so far outside of the resolution, but the dynamic lighting change is disappointing.
It's not downgraded, dynamic lighting is still clearly in the game when you pick bombs, when they explode, when you get shot by lasers or use the ice rune and other stuff. They changed how it works during cutscenes and i honestly don't know why, it looked great.

Of course, and they mentioned saving the money. Basically saying Wii U version is good enough for them to not buy a Switch right now since they don't care to play this game portably. Definitely good enough for me as I don't know that I ever want a Switch.

I know it just seems super weird to specifically mention "I'd rather play it on TV than a handheld" when both versions are playable on TV. It makes it sound like they'd be forced to play it in Handheld Mode on the Switch or something. It would have been enough to just say "Now I can save $300" cause that is a really good reason alone hahaha

Hell I'm pretty anxious about taxes being due the month after Switchmas so I'd grab the Wii U version myself to save that chunk of change but I'm planning on getting quite a few Switch games between now and Mario (plus I want the Definitive Version of BotW) and if the Nintendo Supply Curse strikes again I want to... y'know, actually be able to get one -__-

ggx2ac

Rough translation :

Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops

Hahaha oh wow.

I'm so glad I'm not getting the Wii U version just because I have a Wii U.

The game is probably running at 720p as well, it's too much for the Wii U to handle. It reminds me of the frame rate drops from the Game Awards demo of BotW last year.

Hahaha oh wow.

I'm so glad I'm not getting the Wii U version just because I have a Wii U.

The game is probably running at 720p as well, it's too much for the Wii U to handle. It reminds me of the frame rate drops from the Game Awards demo of BotW last year.

It is.

Wouldn't need Zelda if I already have Wii U version. But yeah, hopefully they do a better bundle than that. Would be pretty crappy if that's all they offer.

I still wouldn't think the pack-in would be SO SUBSTANTIAL like Splatoon 2 or Zelda, it'd be a game of less prestige but more entertainment value. also Holidays = Families = Parties = 1, 2 Switch.

Unless they do Snipperclips. Digital Pack-in would be easy for snipperclips.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I still wouldn't think the pack-in would be SO SUBSTANTIAL like Splatoon 2 or Zelda, it'd be a game of less prestige but more entertainment value. also Holidays = Families = Parties = 1, 2 Switch.

Also don't forget that retailers often do their own bundles with games, or $50 gift cards etc.

That's worth considering for anyone who doesn't want any of the games between Zelda and Mario (or beyond).

Yeah same lighting as the switch version, the dream is dead D:

hqdefault.jpg

"I can't hear the laughter anymore."

Also don't forget that retailers often do their own bundles with games, or $50 gift cards etc.

That's worth considering for anyone who doesn't want any of the games between Zelda and Mario (or beyond).

Actually you'd think they would've done that more for the Wii U.

TacoBurgos

Neo Member
We can hope that the emulator fixes many of the wiiu versión issues, i can't believe Nintendo made a crappy version of a game, does this have happened before?

MADGAME

Yeah that makes sense. I could see them doing a MK8 bundle too.

Top Bottom