• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets build the perfect PSP-2

Gravijah

weekend_warrior said:
Because the 3DS is designed to be kid friendly.

does the iPhone use a clam shell? Does ANY smartphone on the market today use a clamshell?
When you have a device that's a music player, video player, internet device, clamshells are stupidly inconvenient.

Durability is only a "kid" issue?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
weekend_warrior said:

does the iPhone use a clam shell? Does ANY smartphone on the market today use a clamshell?
When you have a device that's a music player, video player, internet device, clamshells are stupidly inconvenient.
No, its still the best design. It Maximizes usable area without sacrificing the small size form factor. Apple is a company that sacrifices usability for looks. Perhaps you like their design philosophy, but i don't.

Gravijah

weekend_warrior said:
It's simply not necessary. Especially when it hinders the overall usability of the device.
I'm not entirely sure how it would hinder the usability of the device. Any examples?

Agent X

Here's another idea, which is more specific, but goes well with my idea that PSP2 should be focused more on PSN and networking functions:

PSP2 should have a small LED, which is used as a "new message" indicator. Whenever the user gets a message from another PSN user (or possibly even another social network--for example, a direct message from Twitter), this LED would glow. The user could choose to have the LED blink, or possibly glow a different color, to distinguish different types of notifications--for example, a game invitation would have a blinking light, as opposed to a steady light for ordinary messages.

The "new message" indicator would be especially useful if the unit was in sleep mode. The unit could ping PSN at specified intervals (such as every 5 minutes, or every 10 minutes) so that the user could see at a glance if someone was messaging him or inviting him to play a game. The user could also disable this function altogether in order to conserve battery power.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Let it follow in the PSP's footsteps. When I got the PSP-1001 I sold my iPod, now give me a phone with buttons so I can sell my iPhone!

weekend_warrior said:

why are laptops and netbooks all clamshells? Why are tablets becoming clamshells?

the TMO said:
sony-psp-2-concept.jpg
I had a post prepared but it all became irrelevant when I saw this. Just give me one of these, preferably with a big red button on top to make the sides pop out, and I will give you all of the money, Sony. All of it.

Lonely1 said:
No, its still the best design. It Maximizes usable area without sacrificing the small size form factor. Apple is a company that sacrifices usability for looks. Perhaps you like their design philosophy, but i don't.

What the hell? You'd rather have a smartphone with a clamshell design?

Gravijah said:
I'm not entirely sure how it would hinder the usability of the device. Any examples?

Example: I'm using my PSP-2 as a music player with it in my pocket. I want to change songs so I have to flip it open, change songs, and flip it back. Instead of simply taking it out touching the screen and putting it back in my pocket.

les papillons sexuels said:
why are laptops and netbooks all clamshells? Why are tablets becoming clamshells?

What a stupid comparison. Don't waste my time.

Gravijah

weekend_warrior said:
Example: I'm using my PSP-2 as a music player with it in my pocket. I want to change songs so I have to flip it open, change songs, and flip it back. Instead of simply taking it out touching the screen and putting it back in my pocket.

Don't you usually have to unlock the device? Flipping it open would unlock it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
weekend_warrior said:
PSP-Headphone-With-Remote-Control.jpg

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Blu_LED said:
Yep. Because I can totally complete every function that I would be able to do on the screen with that remote.
If you need more complex operations, opening the clamshell doesn't take more than a mere seconds. And with a flip screen you can have both form factors, without sacrificing usability, like, you know, actual gaming controls.

Scuba Steve said:
Can someone explain to me what exactly is so great about this design? It's pretty basic. No dual analog, only 4 buttons? Also, it drives me crazy that the two screens are different sizes.

Finaika

- 2 analog sticks
- 1080p OLED screen
- Slightly less graphical power of PS3
- Uses Bluray instead of UMD
- Built in 5.1 surround sounds speakers

CrayzeeCarl said:
Can someone explain to me what exactly is so great about this design? It's pretty basic. No dual analog, only 4 buttons? Also, it drives me crazy that the two screens are different sizes.

Bottom screen is a VMU.

CrayzeeCarl said:

Theres is absolutely nothing appealing about that design, what-so-ever. The ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Gravijah

weekend_warrior said:
Theres is absolutely nothing appealing about that design, what-so-ever. The ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Yes well I don't buy video game systems to look at how pretty they are.

weekend_warrior said:
Middle ground.

3DS is a cheaper, kid-friendly, cartridge based, Mario Bros handheld. ....

PSP-2 will have a large disk-based and digital game library (hopefully). Fully fleshed out games (MGS, Gran Turismo, etc)...
What and what.

CrayzeeCarl said:
6 buttons.

CrayzeeCarl said:
You only need a single analog when you have a touch input available and it has the same number of buttons as the PSP (which is about right for a portable system).

The screens being different sizes is due to button placement, unfortunately. If both screens were wide, the unit would have to be that much wider to accommodate the buttons.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You only need a single analog when you have a touch input available and it has the same number of buttons as the PSP (which is about right for a portable system).

The screens being different sizes is due to button placement, unfortunately. If both screens were wide, the unit would have to be that much wider to accommodate the buttons.
Is this the excuse people are using?

You would rather use a touch screen for camera rotation in third person games?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
No more nub! Please for the sake of Pete, no more nub. Please make the sticks pop-up so there is some tilt, not pivot.

Atomski

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I agree with this. It's why I never play my DS in public, it screams kids toy when opened.

I gotta stay hip man.

You kids are crazy. How does a clamshell look kiddy? It keeps the screens/buttons clean and scratch free.

Clam shells are gross and ugly.

Not a fan of the ladies are you?

Blu_LED said:
Is this the excuse people are using?
Analog sticks are a substandard input method and always have been, given that they use the first derivative of your movements rather than translating your movements directly. This means that you will never get the sort of precision, fast movements or gentle learning curve of something like a mouse, trackball or a touchpad.

If you're used to them and don't mind being a mired-in-the-past reactionary, go ahead, enjoy your second analog stick. I'm not going to stop you. I will however, call you out if you suggest that 3D games are unplayable without one.

Blu_LED said:
And then you can't use any of the face buttons....
If you can manage to use the face buttons and the right stick on a Dualshock at the same time, I applaud you. The rest of us, however, are not koalas

Analog sticks are a substandard input method and always have been, given that they use the first derivative of your movements rather than translating your movements directly. This means that you will never get the sort of precision, fast movements or gentle learning curve of something like a mouse, trackball or a touchpad.

If you're used to them and don't mind being a mired-in-the-past reactionary, go ahead, enjoy your second analog stick. I'm not going to stop you. I will however, call you out if you suggest that 3D games are unplayable without one.
I'm not saying that 3D games are in any way unplayable with only one analog stick. I am someone who has put over 60 hours into Peace Walker. Trust me, I know it's possible. But to sit here and say that a second analog stick isn't need because the touch screen can replace it is just silly.

WillyFive

CrayzeeCarl said:

You don't need a second stick when you have a touch screen, there are more than 4 buttons (the D-Pad and shoulder buttons still exist), and you can have a lot more if you use the touch screen.

And the difference in size is not that big a deal considering one will be use for supplemental info/interface, with the main big one delivering most of the game.

Gamer @ Heart said:
You cant use the face buttons at the same time with dual analogue too
There's a big difference from lifting your thumb off a stick to push buttons, and lifting your stylus off the screen, and then somehow trying to reposition your hand on the system to push the buttons.

Atomski

Blu_LED said:
And then you can't use any of the face buttons....

You never play Metroid on the DS? Other functions are on the touch screen as well. You didn't need the face buttons.

No more nub! Please for the sake of Pete, no more nub. Please make the sticks pop-up so there is some tilt, not pivot.
The problem is its a handheld. You need to be able to throw it in your pocket without feeling like you are going to destroy some sticks sticking out of the device. Only way I can see them having sticks instead of nubs is if they do go with a clamshell design to keep them secured.

Edit:
There's a big difference from lifting your thumb off a stick to push buttons, and lifting your stylus off the screen, and then somehow trying to reposition your hand on the system to push the buttons.

metroid-prime-hunters-20060227003811703_640w.jpg

You don't use face buttons for some games you just quickly touch stuff on the screen.

Top Bottom