• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets build the perfect PSP-2

Blu_LED said:
I'm not saying that 3D games are in any way unplayable with only one analog stick. I am someone who has put over 60 hours into Peace Walker. Trust me, I know it's possible. But to sit here and say that a second analog stick isn't need because the touch screen can replace it is just silly.
I was unaware that Peace Walker had touchscreen controls. Must've been a feature unlocked in the 5.5 firmware.

Control in 3D works with a touchpad and has been demonstrated to do so since the release of Metroid Prime: Hunters. It wasn't a great game, but it controlled well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Atomski said:
The problem is its a handheld. You need to be able to throw it in your pocket without feeling like you are going to destroy some sticks sticking out of the device. Only way I can see them having sticks instead of nubs is if they do go with a clamshell design to keep them secured.

have the sticks pop-up from the device while in use. Think of pressing L3 or R3. Those would simply compress the sticks into the unit for storage.

Gravijah

alr1ghtstart said:
have the sticks pop-up from the device while in use. Think of pressing L3 or R3. Those would simply compress the sticks into the unit for storage.

Sounds like something that would break. :/

Atomski

alr1ghtstart said:

Still sounds like something that would break easy. Im sticking with my clamshell or no sticks theory.

alr1ghtstart said:
Then the mechanism that locks the sticks in place would be the first thing to break. Unless you have a clamshell design. Adding more moving parts on a handheld than absolutely necessary is generally a bad idea.

We're stuck with analog nubs or something akin to a slide pad recessed into the unit, I'm afraid.

KevinCow

Banned
- Clamshell
- Two analogs positioned the way they are on a Dual Shock (i.e., actually comfortable to use, as opposed to the nonsensical positioning on the current PSP), which will actually be possible thanks to the greater space afforded by the clamshell design
- Games that come on some sort of solid state storage, because fuck optical drives in handhelds

That's all I ask, anything else is gravy.

Oh and the anti-clamshell people kinda blow my mind. Literally the only argument against the clamshell design is "BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK AS COOL!!!"

KevinCow said:
- Two analogs positioned the way they are on a Dual Shock (i.e., actually comfortable to use, as opposed to the nonsensical positioning on the current PSP), which will actually be possible thanks to the greater space afforded by the clamshell design
Where would you have them put the analog nub instead? (serious question - the Dualshock doesn't have a screen between the left and right inputs)

Vinci

Danish
DennisK4 said:
Small, or at least smaller, kids make up a larger portion of the Nintendo audience. By 'mature' I mean they should target a slightly older audience, like teenagers. The PSP compared to the DS. I think Sony is stuck with that as their only option. Nintendo can reach everybody but I simply don't think that will work for Sony - they have to seem different or else Nintendo wins by default.

So one company is capable of '[reaching] everybody,' and your solution for a competing company is to target a small subset of the 'everybody' that other company is already reaching?

Makes sense.

If the rumors of a backside touch screen device are true, it could be even better than having a second analog nub. If it works well, the thing could allow you to have direct access to the 4 face buttons with your thumb instead of the just a trigger, and you wouldn't have to cover the screen. :D

Also no physical media, full divx support (put any video file of any size and any format and be able to play it without converting it first), a good and fast internet browser that gets updated regularly and an ebook reader mode. 3D display would be pretty neat too.

Would an analog recessed into the system work?

anal.jpg

Maybe make the base thicker or something, so less breaking?

I'm sure as hell no mechanical designer.

Atomski said:
You kids are crazy. How does a clamshell look kiddy? It keeps the screens/buttons clean and scratch free.
It just does.

I work in an office with grown men and women. It's socially acceptable to get out a sleek bar/sliding cell phone and start clicking away. It's social suicide to flip open an already large DS, essentially doubling its size, and play away. You will be viewed as a kid.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
It just does.

I work in an office with grown men and women. It's socially acceptable to get out a sleek bar/sliding cell phone and start clicking away. It's social suicide to flip open an already large DS, essentially doubling its size, and play away. You will be viewed as a kid.
Absolutely. Maybe if the clamshell looked more like a sleek phone, but still, probably not.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
It just does.

I'm glad I'm not you.

Atomski

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
It just does.

Sounds like some grown ups need to grow up.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
FrostuTheNinja said:
Would an analog recessed into the system work?

anal.jpg

Maybe make the base thicker or something, so less breaking?

I'm sure as hell no mechanical designer.
That's the N64 design...

pixelbox

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You only need a single analog when you have a touch input available and it has the same number of buttons as the PSP (which is about right for a portable system).

The screens being different sizes is due to button placement, unfortunately. If both screens were wide, the unit would have to be that much wider to accommodate the buttons.
Hypocrisy? Can do no wrong huh? And i stil don't understand how 3DS circle jerks ends up in psp threads...

2 analog sticks, dpad, usual 4 face buttons, select/start, L1/R1, ps button
hdmi out
usb 3.0
LED/OLED backlit 1280x720p screen
32GB/64GB internal memory
android with xmb skin to launch games (since its android, it has the potential to do anything)
backwards compatibility with psp1/psp go games
multiple colors at launch and beyond (black, silver, white at the least)
long battery life
thin
2 models - one with UMD and one without UMD but optional UMD addon to install/load games onto memory.
dualshock 3/move compatible (though i dont see how move would function with a psp)
full ps3/psn integration
gps/802.11n/bluetooth 3.0/accelerometer/3 axis gyroscope
3D maybe.
great lineup of games at launch.

could possibly make this into a phone...but it needs to sell with and without a contract.

Proelite

2 analog sticks,
2 triggers,
4 facebuttons,
d-pad
gyroscope and accelerometer
853x480p touch screen
two of the latest ARM processors clocked low
256 mb ram
4 GB memory stick packed in
games on memory sticks?
wifi

pixelbox said:
Hypocrisy? Can do no wrong huh? And i stil don't understand how 3DS circle jerks ends up in psp threads...
I was responding to somebody's counter-troll to a troll. I wasn't the one who brought it up.

While we're on the subject, how would you solve the problem of where to place the second analog stick on a PSP2 while still retaining some semblance of ergonomic design? I don't think it can be done in an elegant way and think that a laptop-style touchpad (separate from a touchscreen mind you) is the way to go.

pixelbox

the TMO said:
sony-psp-2-concept.jpg

This with touch screen and a decent android-based dashboard
Yes please. And for the record, touch screens don't need the pen. Droid/Iphone skin touch screens are just fine and can add intuitive control along with the sticks. As for the analog nubs viciouskillersquirrel, how about Blackberry's touch pad/trackball?

KevinCow

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Where would you have them put the analog nub instead? (serious question - the Dualshock doesn't have a screen between the left and right inputs)

They can't on the current design. They could on a clamshell design. That's the point.

pixelbox

Proelite said:
2 analog sticks, YES
2 triggers, NO
4 facebuttons, YES
d-pad YES
gyroscope and accelerometer HMMM
853x480p touch screen HMMM
two of the latest ARM processors clocked low NO
256 mb ram YES
4 GB memory stick packed in
games on memory sticks? HELL YES
wifi OFCOURSE
There. Although this could be expensive.

How about this: buiklt in 4g/lte radio.

Every game carries a slightly lower royaly fee, but with an added $5 per game fee for any game with multiplayer. That money goes to cellular providers to cover bandwidth. It would be like the kindle: contract free basic wireless connectivity that's costs are transparent to the end user.

Sprint has a shit ton of unused network bandwidth and would jump at a new revenue stream.

add built in netflix streaming (wifi only with optional 4g subcription service) and an open api for an app store and you have a decent handheld that is distinctly different than the 3ds

KevinCow said:
They can't on the current design. They could on a clamshell design. That's the point.
Fair enough. This makes perfect sense.

----------------------------------------------------------

sony-psp-2-concept.jpg

Just for reference, everyone, take a look at this mockup. Notice anything unusual about the buttons? Either this thing is the size of an iPad or the buttons are tiny.

Not only that, but take a look at the placement of the analog nubs compared to their d-pad/face button counterparts. Imagine your thumb resting on either one, then moving over to where the analog nub is.

See the issue? My own thumbs are cramping already.

It's easy to do a mockup of something that looks cool or to ask for features. The real thing will always be a compromise between usability, space constraints and aesthetics. It's unavoidable.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mine are pretty simple.
-Decent battery life
-If it must be an optical drive, allow me to install everything on the on board HDD and not have to use discs as a key.
-Some sort of protection and a heck of a lot more portable.

Hazelhurst

I think two analog sticks is so easy and obvious Sony will try something nuts like a touchpad that acts as two virtual analog sticks. I can see it now. Damn.

Hazelhurst said:
I think two analog sticks is so easy and obvious Sony will try something nuts like a touchpad that acts as two virtual analog sticks. I can see it now. Damn.
I think you're on to something! :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hazelhurst said:
That's actually how the rumor goes.

Thai

Bane was better.
Get the following Sony teams together:

PSP
PSN
Cybershot
Erikson
Walkman

Lock them in a room until they come up with some unholy amalgam of all their products.

• Similar basic physical design to PSP Go (or some improved variant)
  • Touch screen
  • Second analog nub
  • Identical media support as ps3 in terms of codecs, etc.
  • Better playlist support so it won't suck to use it as an .mp3 player
  • Full PSN integration - friends lists, the works
  • Better browser, like ps3's or better
  • A model with 3/4g support + fee
  • Much improved integration with the ps3 itself when it comes to remote play, etc.
  • Full backwards compatibility with PSP titles bought through PSN.
  • Support for more PSN titles. Dreamcast emulation? Are Dreamcast games specified as Dreamcast games like PS1 Classics? Or are they actual ports?
  • As part of the above, support for PS2 Classics, if they can ever get software emulation working. PSP1 > PS1, PSP2 > PS2 would make sense, but it may simply be infeasible given it hasn't shown up on ps3 yet.
  • At least 64gbs of storage in the low end model. Preferably 80 or 100. We're looking at 1.5-2gb games plus much improved media functionality for videos/music. That'll fill up quick.
  • At least 7-8 hour battery life while gaming. Skimp on the graphics if you must, darn it.
Basically make it a tinier ps3 in all ways but pure hardware power, with access to all downloadable games that are not designed around the ps3's hardware specifically, plenty of storage, and good battery life.

I honestly think we'll get most of this but the great battery life. =/

Gravijah

Baconbitz said:
The Ds isn't a phone and it sells.

You know, a lot of things aren't phones and they sell. My microwave is not a phone. My refrigerator is not a phone. This can of sprite is not a phone.

pixelbox

Hazelhurst said:
I guess my posts are invisible. But i really think that'll work. Less mechanical parts, less space, more sexy.:D

All's I want is two sticks and a nice-ass screen. None of that touch crap though.

I'm that one guy who still can't get into the whole touch thing. Hate the way my fingers feel touching screens, can't get past it.

I actually really like the PSP for turn based stuff. I try to avoid anything 'actiony' on it though, unless it's a 2D game where I can ignore the nub and just stick with the d-pad.

entremet

Thai said:
Get the following Sony teams together:

PSP
PSN
Cybershot
Erikson
Walkman

Lock them in a room until they come up with some unholy amalgam of all their products.
Not familiar with Sony, eh? Those divisions will probably kill themselves before producing anything of value. Sony's divisions are notoriously independent, much to the company's detriment. You need a product visionary, like a Kutaragi.

Atomski

Baconbitz said:
The Ds isn't a phone and it sells.
All I know is if its a phone I won't be buying it. This whole.. "it must be a phone" crap is stupid. I want a portable gaming system with full fledges games not a want to be Iphone. If Sony trys to duplicate the Iphone it will be such a laughable failure.

Luigiv

These threads are always so boring. It always end up with "Sony should pursue the exact same strategy they did for the first one". The problem is, even if we do consider the PSP to be a mild success, the fact of the matter is the same strategy just isn't going to work for them again.

The reason the PSP achieved the success it did was because it managed to capture a good proportion of the niche Japanese game market but the reason it got that market had more to do with the other systems' shortcomings then it's own merits. The PS360 were too expensive to develop for, the PC has no Japanese market penetration, the Wii failed to capture the target audience, the PS2 was reaching the end of it's life and the DS was just too graphically limited to keep the whole market to itself (some of those games just couldn't have been done on it).

However, the same lightning is not going to strike again. The 3DS is a far less limited system by today's standards then the DS was by 2004's standards. The 3DS should be perfectly capable of realising most modern game ideas the same way that PSP1 is still able to. Even if the PSP2 houses more advance components then the 3DS, it will still not be powerful enough to accommodate any ideas that couldn't be done on the 3DS with slightly worse graphics. And when you take into consideration Nintendo's aggressive strategy to grab the current PSP market and the ever growing threat of smartphone gaming, it's easy to see that Sony is going to have to be a lot more creative this time around if they want the PSP2 to succeed.

That's why the perfect PSP2 should not just be a handheld powerhouse or just rip on Nintendo's ideas. The perfect PSP2 should be someone with it's own personality. Something with a gimmick capable of carving it's own healthy niche. What that gimmick would have to be, I have no idea but I'm sure hoping Sony's Engineers can figure it out. It'd be a shame to see Sony loose it's place in the handheld market, things are a lot more interesting with them in it.

Top Bottom