• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

mollipen

It was a short soap opera with squicky romances. I find soap operas funny but these are characters people care about and it was probably too irreverent, morbid, and over-developed. In fairness to Aters, in case you didn't get to see it, I probably shouldn't have posted it, so it's gone.

No no, don't misunderstand my meme posting—I'm all for going past the "too far" point, because it's never too far.

PK Gaming

DBnGDCkUMAAZ6Ig.jpg

DBnGEHoUMAA7vXR.jpg

DBnGE-fUwAAJ4Ya.jpg

DBnGGWeVYAAiIH4.jpg

We should have gotten more scenes inside the Monamobile, you feel me? Aka Source

Mediking

Makoto says "You'll get yours!" in a very raspy and angry voice when she gets up from a Knock-Down....

Gotta admit...

I started sweating.

And I had her in the swimsuit costume when she said it.

Plum

So I went with Chie in P4G, Naoto in P4G NG+ and Makoto in this. Felt like I made all the right choices.

On a side note, after finishing I am disappointed with the lack of non-story events where you just hang out with your friends/girlfriends. Maybe I was spoiled by P4G being my first and only Persona game before P5 though.

The Haru rejection scene...

giphy.gif

It's not fair, man. Every other girl's like "nudge nudge we can date if you want, no biggie if you don't want to though" but Haru comes right out with it. Dear god her reaction made me miserable. Felt like I stomped on her heart and spit on it.

If I hadn't already romanced Makoto in this run I would have said yes... but I refuse to be harem. I'm so sorry Haru ;_;

The Haru rejection scene...

giphy.gif

It's not fair, man. Every other girl's like "nudge nudge we can date if you want, no biggie if you don't want to though" but Haru comes right out with it. Dear god her reaction made me miserable. Felt like I stomped on her heart and spit on it.

If I hadn't already romanced Makoto in this run I would have said yes... but I refuse to be harem. I'm so sorry Haru ;_;

How could you?

Aters

Haru seems to be the only girl that explicitly shows affection towards MC. Does that count as "canon"? I felt terrible when I rejected her, but it's still better than P4 where you have to reject everyone.

Haru's a very cute character but she didn't have enough development for me to care for her as much as the others.

I think her social link is quite interesting though. She's like the opposite of all the other characters:
Everyone else's link is about shitty people, but hers is a story about "people are not as bad as you think".
I think that's a breath of fresh air and saves the game from overblown edginess.

Haru's a very cute character but she didn't have enough development for me to care for her as much as the others.

Thing is, Makoto felt like she stole a ton of the limelight after her introduction.

I mean, yeah, let her be cool - because she is - but let the spotlight shine on the cast evenly, like it did in P3P and P4.

Thing is, Makoto felt like she stole a ton of the limelight after her introduction.

I mean, yeah, let her be cool - because she is - but let the spotlight shine on the cast evenly, like it did in P3P and P4.

I agree with you there..... Haru really should join earlier if they do decide to go ahead with Persona 5 Golden. I haven't done her social link yet but I do plan to on my 2nd run eventually. She joins way too late and at the arguably dullest point in the game too.

Quick question, if you date the doctor and one of the younger girls, do you still get well, bad end? Or is it like p4 where some relationships seemingly don't care if harem?

Shadic7700

Haru seems to be the only girl that explicitly shows affection towards MC. Does that count as "canon"? I felt terrible when I rejected her, but it's still better than P4 where you have to reject everyone.
Futaba does as well plus she's way cuter when you GF her but then people try to shame you saying she's a little sister and it's weird when it's toataly the best romance in the game!

Futaba does as well plus she's way cuter when you GF her but then people try to shame you saying she's a little sister and it's weird when it's toataly the best romance in the game!

Agreed 100% lol. Haru was actually the only girl I felt bad about turning down, not just because of her reaction but because she was the only one of the other romanceable confidants I felt much of a connection to. Admittedly I didn't finish all of them though, particuarly Kawakami's. I never really came around on her like a lot of other people did because I got screwed out of her last few events by not finishing before December, and also because when she told the story about the
dead kid
, considering how she'd been acting up to that point I was basically like:

okp66FD.gif

MoonFrog

Both Haru's and Futaba's links are more explicitly romantic than Ann's and Makoto's.

Makoto and Futaba are both clearly into you in the main game. Ann is played off all of the guys, including Morgana, so she is hard to read. Haru barely shows up in the main game and not in a romantic context.

Makoto and Ann romances both make a lot of sense in context of the main game and the dating content, but the romance in the links is flat-footed.

If you "really get" Makoto or Ann, you will see their angle on you and have it confirmed by the post-link content and main story content. If you don't quite get the character you won't see the romance because the links do a terrible job at pushing it.

I think Makoto wins out against Ann here in the clarity department because her love line is not tangled and it gets very clear service in the main game. I think Makoto is easier to "really get."

That's my take away, at least, from my playing the game and talking to you all.

As to Makoto sucking the air out of the cast...nah. Futaba comes after her and gets a lot of great service. The problem is that they don't service Haru well, not that Makoto steals from Haru.

Yeah, it really isn't Makoto's fault. Futaba came after Makoto too and they did a great job with her.

Futaba brought so much fun atmosphere to the group. I loved her for that. What a great character!
Makoto blending in to become sub "leader" of the phantom thieves was incredible as well. I honestly didn't expect it.

Haru also is dull has a box of nails so that doesn't help

A bit harsh but a reasonable response. If she has more development I think she'd be one of my favourites. Her design is amazing in her persona outfit. Her introduction to the group really did suck though D:

MoonFrog

Continuing my point:

Because they are the ones people find less obvious, perhaps to some dissatisfaction so, more about Ann and Makoto:

A response I got about Ann, which I think showcases how it is supposed to work:

I did the Ann romance and it makes sense to me, I said this in an earlier post. Ann having feelings for him works because of how Ann herself acts. She has been telling Shiho about Joker during her hospital visits, prompting the "you were right Ann, he really is reliable" when Joker helps Shiho onto the roof. Note that "you're so reliable" is one of those coded anime things when girls are interested. Joker also is clearly interested in Ann, from checking her out a few times to straight up being able to tell Ryuji that he thinks she's breathtaking.

Ann also tells you if you romance her that she never saw herself dating and told Shiho she thought it was kinda cheesy. So her holding her feelings close to the chest makes sense. However, she just blurts it out without even meaning to when he comforts her during the rank 9 event. Then Joker teases her about it and presses, and because Ann isn't the type to back down at that point she doubles down and confirms her feelings. Joker hugs her and she's panicked because again, she thought it was goofy to be all "coupley".

Once you actually do start dating Ann you realize that she gets flustered by Joker's swag and smoothness (which is understandable because Joker is swag as hell). She wants to be the one to make him nervous during their alone time and it's adorable (it also never works because again, Joker is the king of swag). It's clear as day how she feels about him now and their relationship is actually really sweet. You see through the dates with her that she's actually thinking about a long-term future with him. She tells Joker that she used to think it was cheesy but now she likes it, because she likes being with him.

Ann is also one of the few characters who actually says the words "I love you" (which is weird to me that the others don't) complete with a voiced line. Joker also tells Ann outright he loves her as well. So yeah, I like the Joker/Ann relationship a lot.

And my own thoughts on Makoto (stiched together from several posts, because none quite fit the bill):

As to her love angle:

- The game services her rebellion arc very well, laying roots for it early and it retains relevance through Sae's palace. She feels boxed in and at a loss wrt her future despite "doing everything she's supposed to do." She feels that the justice, which she holds dear, eludes her. She feels that she is just a cog in doing what she is supposed to do, a cog who does no good.

Coupled with the below, I feel a romance to Makoto feeds into this and this feeds into a romance with Makoto.

- I feel the game also pushes her very much on the MC, like it does Futaba, if in a subtler way. She singles you out among your group of friends during her investigation (Both when she accosts you all and in her stalking). She is one of the characters who seeks/respects your input the most. There are those canned skinship scenes in the Futaba sequence at the ghost house and with the sphinx. She sets herself up as elder sister to Futaba to match your elder brother. In the bikini scene she is trying to impress someone, and I think it makes most sense that it is you. Etc.

-So what is this coupling I'm suggesting? Makoto seeks out you, sees in you, an answer to her existential crisis. She is continually curious about your input and seeks your companionship and seeks to grow with you by her side. Makoto's loveline on you is, in part, that she sees you as a person to answer her crisis with, to learn from and with. I think the game makes it clear that she is both particularly interested in you, per the second item above, and that it makes her relationship to you is tied into her overarching narrative.

Makoto finds herself and friends and you.

As to romancing her:

One of the things with Makoto is they do the faux dating thing but you can't usually use that to press intimacy like it is traditionally used. She gets annoyed at that mostly.
I remember one time I got music notes from pushing that line when I wanted to try a new dialogue choice on another playthrough, but it was because she misinterpreted what I meant by serious.

You get to Makoto by being interested in what she is talking about mostly.

You don't get to her by flattering her, or teasing her, or flirting, for the most part.

It is a bit unfortunate, because she can be fun to tease imo, and I would tease that girl in real life even as I took her zealous passion seriously. Small thing because you usually don't need too many notes with her, but I'd appreciate a couple of the jokey lines getting some...I actually like a lot of her responses as written, I'd just like a musical cue to show me I'm not just giving her a bad time, which, perhaps I am :p.

Another thing Makoto likes is you being skilled/worldly and encouraging/indulgent to her curiosity. I do really like her curiosity and it is fun to show her things, especially with how into them she gets.

As to the "Makoto doesn't feel" problem:

As I said before, I think a Makoto romance works very well within the context of the main narrative and there are some real high points to her social link, but her affection can seem a bit elusive at times. And it is a bit. Because it is that sort of passion, her dad's passion, which she does her best to hide while also being completely driven by it. (iirc Social Link conversation 7?).

I mean, Makoto's romance is self-aware of this issue with her and it is telling that a) she likes it when you tell her that couples can be like you and her are, (Social Link conversation 6) b) that even after you are dating she claims she can't be the bubbly girlfriend and is more curious and interested in food and souvenirs than date-y about them, and c) she is incredibly embarrassed and self-conscious when seeking physical affection from you. (date conversations, and Social Link conversation 10)

The girl loves deeply, imo just like she is deeply interested and curious but those often show more in the scope of her attention. Sure, she also loses herself at the arcade or watching a crime flick, but more often it is her intense focus and interest that highlights her passion.

And I do think she is intensely curious about the main character, from early on, both in the main narrative and in the social link.

I guess what a lot of us want is more of the ferocious creature within. Like when she first gets her persona. But she is extremely self conscious even when she is getting overwhelmed with love. The romance link would've been better if the mask came off wrt to this, in some way, before the confession scene.

She does lose control and then gets embarrassed/forces through situations when she impulsively steals your number in the main story and when she signs you up for a double date without your say-so.

The social link should have come to more of an emotional head and pushed the issue, rather than just roll with Makoto sneaking her probing for a confession in.

And just to round out a wall of text for the fuck of it:

Makoto has a lot of Mitsuru in her.

Makoto is like if they took the insecurities and the doubts of Mitsuru, which you get late game P3 and played them out over the entire game. She's Mitsuru's inner girl, lacking a lot of the steely exterior of Mitsuru. (Tellingly, she's still fairly steely :p)

But both are competent, poised, and more naive than at first blush. Both are ignorant about cuisine, fashion (although Mitsuru has a stylist), and love. Both fall for the main character on a romance path where the main character is helping them find the world and thus themselves. Mitsuru's link does play heavier on an inner romantic though, going with Haru's story. While Mitsuru is secretly into romance novels and movies, Makoto is secretly into the Yakuza series (in film).

Mitsuru is much more the untouchable senpai, whereas the way Makoto approaches you and the way she seeks out your opinions mostly level that senpai relationship. Makoto finds things in you more as an equal, while Mitsuru stoops and finds you tasty and is thrown into turmoil by that fact.

Makoto does have a special justice bent, focusing in on criminal justice and she is much earlier on in conflict with her subservience to the adults and the status quo, whereas that only comes out in the story surrounding that crucifixion night in P3.

I also think they pushed the curiosity angle harder with Makoto and that she is much more about passion and zeal than Mitsuru. Mitsuru is more about competence while they poke holes in Makoto's effectiveness much earlier on, going with above.

Willpower is very central to both.

Both ride motorcycles. Both look up to their dads and seek to follow in their footsteps. Etc.

But yeah as I said before, you can really feel that the creators were mulling Mitsuru over with this one.

TL;DR Makoto is about a quiet passion burning fiercely within for justice and you :p.

I ended up dating Hifumi but daaaaaamn turning Haru down felt horrid. Might go with her now that I'm on my second run. And maybe get Ryuji past rank 3. >>

MoonFrog

Hate to do this to my own walls of text but it'd all been posted before and I'm in the mood to close out my thoughts on some of this so...I'll push the page :p.

First, some of my own thoughts about Ann:

From reading comments like AlphaDragoon's, which I posted above, I get the sense that the Ann I wanted to see and thought she was was there, but obfuscated.

By that I mean, an Ann with a more active mental life, brought on by loneliness, depression, and the world-weariness that comes with the terrible experience she was having in the Kamoshida arc.

There is a hard reset going from Kamoshida Ann to social link Ann, which, in part makes sense--she's had a huge weight lifted off her shoulders and suddenly has more friends and a purpose in life. I also think Atlus overdid it and left too much of Ann behind the veil of dating her. While Ann's link was fun with good dialogue options and a goofy, amusing story, it didn't go much of everywhere and pretty much all it gave you was Ann the airhead, and not enough Ann the lonely girl who overthinks and is shy about intimacy. It gave us too much Ann that fits the blonde western girl trope and too little Ann that subverts it.

There could've and should've been more of a point on Ann's link, in much the same way as there should've been with Makoto's, which pushed this other side of her. It is there and confirmed by actually dating her, but they held it back too much.

You do get a more thoughtful Ann in the main story and she is presented as a very nice and thoughtful girl, even as she is presented as a boisterous airhead and "one-of-the-guys."

I think that latter thing is always something to appreciate in the Persona girl who has that attribute and joins your party less as an obvious suitor with designs on you. Ann/Ryuji/Morgana/Yusuke is a fairly cohesive group. I don't think Makoto and Futaba ruin the cohesion of the group but they are much more played opposite the MC.

She is a bit different from Yukari/Chie in that she is also romantically played off Morgana, Ryuji, and Yusuke and so her "being one of the guys" takes on the double role of also confusing her rather opaque loveline with the MC.

You do have her moments of seeming shy curiosity in the MC, like when she "sleeps" while he tells his story about Shido and when she presses the Ryuji and the MC about their taste in girls, but the latter plays to Ryuji as well. You also do have the MC's admiration of her physical form very much established as canon and you have the opportunity to intimate that you like her to Sojiro and Ryuji/Yusuke.

I also think the other male's interest in her is pretty much all you have to go with in shipping a non-MC pairing with her. You have Morgana's "chivalrous" love; Ryuji's violent preoccupation with the juxtaposition of his idea of her and who she is rumored to be in the Kamoshida arc; Yusuke's more-than-artistic interest in her physical form and his being seduced by her strange acting. You don't, however, ever get much from Ann herself towards these lovelines.

On Futaba:

As I said above, Futaba is obviously interested in the main character. Like Makoto, she comes to the group through stalking you, in particular, and seeing an answer to her issues in you, and she again particularizes this, telling Sojiro you saved her, in particular.

In approaching her, Makoto does a lot of the legwork and talking but it is set up so that she is nominally deferring to you and you get to carry out the phone conversations yourself.

Similarly, in Nanako homework/social-healing-by-way-of-bikini week, Makoto pushes the agenda but hands the task over to you. You are with her everyday and are her primary relationship.

The game also sets up Futaba parity events. You had your firework event with the others, Futaba gets to have her own event with you and Sojiro.

And then of course, Futaba clings to you, hides behind you and such in the body of the game, just as she does in Sojiro's and her own social link. You are her "special item" already in the forced first level social link.

Inside her social link, Futaba shows obvious romantic interest in you, describing physical lust/heightened physical awareness on two occasions and mental obsession as well on the later of these two.

Here's my take on the Futaba romance and its "squickiness":

-If I were to, say, make a dramatized narrative of their relationship, I'd have MC reject her at that point in the s link and have them get together some years later, when he is no longer big brother/shield/special item and she isn't so dependent on having him.

-That said, if I were to date a girl other than Makoto, it'd probably be her. I really like her as a character. She is super cute and I also see points of connection in experience and interest between her and my real world self.

-But...Date-able Nanako is very clearly one of the tenets of her creation. Your story with her is very similar. Lonely girl raised by a single dad with a tragic mother death situation and then you come into her life, let her meet your friends and help her and her dad along to a better life. Beach week is structurally right where homework week is. Denying this parallel is really not a viable option.

But they change a) her blood relation, b) her age, c) the degree of cohabitation, and d) when she is introduced. So they change several things to make a date-able Nanako, which fundamentally change the status of dating her. She is not Nanako, even if Nanako is one of her starting points.

Still, there is always going to be a little "little sister" love going on with Futaba. I don't see the point in denying that. She's clingy. She's little. She has a special relationship with you. She has modest cohabitation. Etc. That is part of what they are tapping into with her.

I said above though, the reason, besides that I went for Makoto, that I didn't date her is I don't find it healthy to do that to her with the relationship the MC has coming out of her shut in phase.

I also get that you can't wait to date Futaba in game, and that frankly, more squicky bridges are often crossed in dating games.

I think Futaba is a good pairing done some harm by the structure of the game.

As to Haru...I stopped my third playthrough after Hawaii because I didn't want to get over that Ryuji/Morgana hump that plagues her beginning arc and I only saw her link through on my second playthrough as I failed to meet the proficiency gate on the first playthrough.

I don't have a very positive impression of her, which is quite at odds with this forum, where she seems to be one of the favorite girls, at least since I started posting, so I do think I need to take a closer look on my third pass when I do it.

I do think, as to her main story content, that they did handle her very poorly. Whatever charm she may have is locked up in her link and her extra dialogue, so another reason to take that content more seriously on another pass so I can better understand you all.

The general situation of her social link also doesn't help it for me. It is late in the game. She gives out music notes like candy so it is very hard to shake the feeling that she just wants to be pleased by you and that you are not really relating to her so much as playing a part in a preconceived drama that she is putting on. This feeling is further exacerbated by the fact that the story of her social link also makes me feel placed out of my depth and asked to speak to things I have no idea about.

And then there is the Mitsuru comparison...in the main text, I feel they handled the fallout of her dad's death as to Haru quite poorly. I get that he is not Mitsuru's dad. He is not the good guy, rather the grandpa is, in a reversal of the Mitsuru story and they do have that one scene where Haru almost mistrusts you all and the scene on the ship is fairly good, but other than that, it is an incredibly limp story from that angle, even as it pushes the main story forward.

I also think that, while the link is romantic, what you are to Haru is less clear than what you were to Mitsuru. I think the heiress-with-a-fiance-she-wants-to-dump romance is better developed with Mitsuru than Haru.

I generally feel that while Makoto took Mitsuru and did something interesting with her, Haru took her and tried to play with her storyline and just did it worse.

I think the level Haru would have to appeal to me on is as a character, which, again, is what I'll be on the look for when I finish that third playthrough.

Top Bottom