• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive inequality, a staple of cyberpunk works, is not the fault of an extremely late capitalist system but actually the fault of feminists (?????)

They released a statement stating that the creator saw the light and changed his ways since 3 years ago. Really a masterclass in gaslighting.

Their statement actually was really well written, and they didn't tip-toe around naming GG or calling it out.

But yeah. It seems like either this guy is a great liar or Raw Story is in full damage control.

nynt9

Like I said to HP_Wuvcraft, if discussing any related GG stuff with a neutral stance is some kind of off-limit thingy on NeoGAF, that's totally fine by me. And my aim is not to raise tension between us as I can sense that the subject is touchy.

I'd love to hear a neutral stance on the harassment of women, death/rape threats and rampant misogyny.

Ok so I just woke up here in Australia, read the statement from Raw Fury and Tim's posts in Idle Thumbs, and I'm almost placated.

What's the general consensus now? Did I miss anything else? Any reason to 'not trust his lies'?

See here. The apology is not believable:

To people that want to know what's up, read this.

To people who think "oh this is from years ago, this is fine", read this.

To people "wtf is Milkshake Duck", read this.

Massive inequality, a staple of cyberpunk works, is not the fault of an extremely late capitalist system but actually the fault of feminists (?????)
Looks like you just stumbled into a heinous amount of 1970s science fiction... Only we're four decades later and these kids look nothing like the Charleston Heston look-a-likes previously cast.

I guess if you guys aren't down with coordinated online harassment campaigns based on misogyny and bigotry then that's OK I'll just keep it to myself.

Just asking questions though.

This isn't a situation like Mojang, where Notch has not worked there for a long time and it has clearly evolved and thrived past him.

This is a guy that presently has sexist and possible racist views and is injecting those views into his art.

Monarch

Banned
Yeah, Tim was still making questionable tweets within the last couple months, so all of this "I was different in 2014" rings very hollow.

Ah, there's our Neutral Stance. Right on time.

I'd love to hear a neutral stance on the harassment of women, death/rape threats and rampant misogyny.

See here. The apology is not believable:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant neutral stance on the subject at hand (the game) not GG. It's getting late here in Paris, but it will not take me a lot of effort to come up with the fact that I'm against harassment, death/rape threats and misogyny. We do have a lot of women at our studio and they bring different views to our game :)

True Fire

Here's where I think the creator is going with this: women created a sort of "capitalist" dystopia using their sexuality as the capital, and the "inequality" present in this game is the Red Pill philosophy, which I won't spew here.

aeolist

Banned
Starship troopers is actual the ideal society (someone probably believes this)

i mean how many people miss the point with media like ST, the matrix, fight club, scarface, etc?

this guy is literally just taking the color scheme and cool shades from real cyberpunk fiction and ignoring the substance of it.

Vimes

we achieved that already trough the second wave yes?

modern feminism only talks about fabricated rape cases and mythical wage gaps statistics that they pull out of their personal survey. They dont want equality anymore, they want more

have they ever talked about the situation in middle east? my guess is never because they only care about people who lived less miserably then they are

Ladies and gentlemen, the target audience of The Last Night.

Funny how the 'keep politics of out my video games!' mob suddenly is very supportive of a developer putting his anti-feminist / misogynist ideology into a game.

Yuuuup

Lime

Funny how the 'keep politics of out my video games!' mob suddenly is very supportive of a developer putting his anti-feminist / misogynist ideology into a game.

Platy

The best part is that the radical feminism is actually a part of the second wave, you know that wave that solved sexism like that sexist dude said

Like I said to HP_Wuvcraft, if discussing any related GG stuff with a neutral stance is some kind of off-limit thingy on NeoGAF, that's totally fine by me. And my aim is not to raise tension between us as I can sense that the subject is touchy.

Sorry, if I sounded tense, not my intention at all, I'm quite calm actually.

But you have to think, that there's no a legitimate neutral stance on GG: on one side you have women, whose sin was to work in the industry, on games and under the pretext of ethics in gaming journalism, the other side, started an online harassment campaign under fabricated nonsensical theories with no grounds, with rape/murder threats and made of those people everyday lives a hell.

There's not a reasonable, logical and humanly possible "neutral" stance here. There's no middle ground over all these horrible things. You should look into GG and what they did and why the did it, and if, with the facts laid out to you on a table, you think there's a neutral stance to take part here, you should have another look at your moral compass.

Lime

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but considering how much MS preached "inclusiveness and diversity" during their presser (and maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I don't think having it be a woman gamer be in the Xbox X reveal trailer, as well as two woman drivers during the Forza demo, was an accident) partnering with this shitheel is an especially bad look.

It's especially a bad look when last year's GDC Microsoft accidentally had a stripper party for game developers.

As others have said, there's not much to discuss that hasn't been covered ad nauseam, and asking people to detail it to you is not the same as discussing any way. There are numerous resources, videos, write-ups on the whole ordeal that I would recommend you check out.

Also, props on the Vampyr trailer. It's looking pretty good.

It's because they think their opinion is right, and that "yours" is immorally wrong.

It's hard to fight against an enemy that does not argue in good faith or even respect your opinion.

Ok so I just woke up here in Australia, read the statement from Raw Fury and Tim's posts in Idle Thumbs, and I'm almost placated.

What's the general consensus now? Did I miss anything else? Any reason to 'not trust his lies'?
Also don't trust the writer's lies.
7mZ7i4p.png
https://twitter.com/MadQuills/status/874311578925051904

aeolist

Banned
It's especially a bad look when last year's GDC Microsoft accidentally had a stripper party for game developers.

unless you actually care about inclusiveness beyond just making yourself look good you will always have fuckups like that, and it's not really possible for corporations to care in that way. looking to capitalist enterprises to advance social causes will never succeed in the long term.

aeolist

Banned
Words is not enough, until the game is released and someone looks at it, and confirms me there's no political agenda, I won't believe it.

it's not possible for the vast majority of games to have no political agenda, and cyberpunk games absolutely should have one. the problem is they appear to have a really bad one.

i mean how many people miss the point with media like ST, the matrix, fight club, scarface, etc?

this guy is literally just taking the color scheme and cool shades from real cyberpunk fiction and ignoring the substance of it.
Just don't get how you could play something like deus ex or watch something like blade runner and think there wasn't enough rampant corporatism and too much punk

But...the writer also agrees with Tim and the team is only 6 people. So you've got 6 males working on a game where the creator and lead writer are against "modern feminism" and that's what the game was originally pitched as and we're supposed to believe that isn't at least a major factor in the universe despite the only claims that it isn't about that came after the backlash? Ok

Monarch

Banned
Sorry, if I sounded tense, not my intention at all, I'm quite calm actually.

But you have to think, that there's no a legitimate neutral stance on GG: on one side you have women, whose sin was to work in the industry, on games and under the pretext of ethics in gaming journalism, the other side, started an online harassment campaign under fabricated nonsensical theories with no grounds, with rape/murder threats and made of those people everyday lives a hell.

There's not a reasonable, logical and humanly possible "neutral" stance here. There's no middle ground over all these horrible things. You should look into GG and what they did and why the did it, and if, with the facts laid out to you on a table, you think there's a neutral stance to take part here, you should have another look at your moral compass.

I agree. I will check the whole thing when I'll have the time. And as my first post in the thread suggests it, there's no malice in my endeavour.

As others have said, there's not much to discuss that hasn't been covered ad nauseam, and asking people to detail it to you is not the same as discussing any way. There are numerous resources, videos, write-ups on the whole ordeal that I would recommend you check out.

Also, props on the Vampyr trailer. It's looking pretty good.

Ahah thanks, I hope the 30 min demo stream make up the way to you guys since I worked very hard on it lol

Good night all.

Ash735

The problem is, this game is now a lost cause on places like this, luckily for most who'll just see the trailer, they can experience the game and most likely never even know about how the creator was a dick online, but here, there's nothing they can do, the game is flawed, damned, thrown to the dogs, which is a shame cause again,. this was one of the most visually impressive games from Microsofts E3, a damn shame.

But...the writer also agrees with Tim and the team is only 6 people. So you've got 6 males working on a game where the creator and lead writer are against "modern feminism" and that's what the game was originally pitched as and we're supposed to believe that isn't at least a major factor in the universe despite the only claims that it isn't about that came after the backlash? Ok

Are you the BBC's Sherlock Holmes?

it's not possible for the vast majority of games to have no political agenda, and cyberpunk games absolutely should have one. the problem is they appear to have a really bad one.

Let me rephrase that:"not anti-feminism (or similar progressive ideas) agenda"

Words is not enough, until the game is released and someone looks at it, and confirms me there's not anti-feminism (or similar progressive ideas) agenda, I won't believe it.

nynt9

The problem is, this game is now a lost cause on places like this, luckily for most who'll just see the trailer, they can experience the game and most likely never even know about how the creator was a dick online, but here, there's nothing they can do, the game is flawed, damned, thrown to the dogs, which is a shame cause again,. this was one of the most visually impressive games from Microsofts E3, a damn shame.

Yeah, the shame is that the game of the gamergater is hated on gaf, not that the dev is a gamergater or that they participated in a campaign to harass and threaten women.

Volphied

The problem is, this game is now a lost cause on places like this, luckily for most who'll just see the trailer, they can experience the game and most likely never even know about how the creator was a dick online.

It's not just that the creator is a dick online.

It's also the fact he injected his dickishness into the game itself.

Even if you were never to learn about the author, you'd still notice all the wacky anti-feminism in the game's story.

Oh no what a shame.

Nowise10

I've always been a believer that I wouldn't own anything if I boycotted every product because I didn't agree with the beliefs of the people behind them. So I really can't say I care. I just want whatever I get to be what they say it is.

Lime

unless you actually care about inclusiveness beyond just making yourself look good you will always have fuckups like that, and it's not really possible for corporations to care in that way. looking to capitalist enterprises to advance social causes will never succeed in the long term.

agreed. Just making a point about that this corporation continuously do these (unintentional) fuck ups

"Those tweets were from a long time ago."
"But there are more recent tweets."
"Look, the tweets don't matter."

Holy shit. That was so not the correct response.

:lol

FyreWulff

"the game will not have an agenda"

the creators literally were asking around to put the mascot of a right wing misogynist group whom name coined by a right wing celebrity and literally has all the old catchphrases, terms, and ideology of the right wing conservative movement

bruh

also if it feels like a story based product has no politics, that just means it matches your own politics

aeolist

Banned
i think my favorite part is this:

people defining themselves by what they consume is the major hallmark of late capitalism to me

how much can one man miss the fucking point? tune in next year to find out!

Fuck man, the idea that a fucking cyberpunk game would explicitly go out of its way to not have an agenda is maybe even more depressing. Cyberpunk is an agenda, it's born from a satire of wealth inequality, social inequality, Reaganist/Thatcherist economic systems.

Volphied

Fuck man, the idea that a fucking cyberpunk game would explicitly go out of its way to not have an agenda is maybe even more depressing.

There's always been a disturbing amount of people who completely glossed over the societal aspects of cyberpunk and instead concentrated on "cool visuals".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom