• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Symbiotx

I'm really surprised how forgiving people have been. Basically everyone has been glad about this update.

I wish people treated Destiny the same way, but people never let go of that one.

Ducktail

Well, this update screwed me a bit.

My base was on this beautiful lush haven, with a multitude of resources. I came back to find my base in a barren nuclear wasteland of a planet and shitty aggressive creatures to boot. Plus, some of the engineers I had hired disappeared.

I was in system where I had visited all the planets, and it immediately stuck me how, just after the update, it was saying they were all undiscovered locations. Guess they changed the seeds?

Also noticed the initial loading is much faster, though it's chugging/frame skipping badly.

Very curious to see what else has changed when I play it this evening.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Guess it doesn't matter if I'm at work or not, PSN taking all fucking day to download 7GB.

Usually its quick for me, what the fuck.

Kaiken

Banned

My base was on this beautiful lush haven, with a multitude of resources. I came back to find my base in a barren nuclear wasteland of a planet and shitty aggressive creatures to boot. Plus, some of the engineers I had hired disappeared.

I was in system where I had visited all the planets, and it immediately stuck me how, just after the update, it was saying they were all undiscovered locations. Guess they changed the seeds?

Also noticed the initial loading is much faster, though it's chugging/frame skipping badly.

Very curious to see what else has changed when I play it this evening.

Noooooooo. Not looking forward to heading home to see my new home.

I think I still need the last Atlas Stone for the Atlas Path, and then I have to get to the center of the galaxy, so I might take my PS4 offline so it doesn't mess with anything by updating for me.

But I saw someone say some of the new Storyline only comes up if you start a new game, otherwise you miss part of it? Fuuuck that man I don't wanna have to go through everything it took to get my current ship and multitool again arghhhhh

paulogy

But I saw someone say some of the new Storyline only comes up if you start a new game, otherwise you miss part of it? Fuuuck that man I don't wanna have to go through everything it took to get my current ship and multitool again arghhhhh

Can someone confirm this? I don't want to start all over either, but I also don't want to miss the new story elements.

SomTervo

I'm really surprised how forgiving people have been. Basically everyone has been glad about this update.

I wish people treated Destiny the same way, but people never let go of that one.

Imo Destiny had substantially less content. The gameplay loop was way better but repeated super quickly and every mission was the same.

NMS was like the equal opposite, but every free update actually added content substantially and improved the actual core gameplay loop.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Can someone confirm this? I don't want to start all over either, but I also don't want to miss the new story elements.

You don't have to start a new game for story mode. I haven't played it myself, but through space flight or something, you're prompted to explore on your own or follow a signal/story/path/lore.

BigDug13

I had a real feeling that this would be a game that needed loads of updates over the course of years and that Hello Games were aiming to support the game for years since it's Sean Murray's dream game to create. My only issue was that they charged $60 at launch for what ended up being a barebones game after a media storm of promises about what was in the game.

Had they priced it at something like $30 and told us that the game is missing some features that are absolutely on their way, I wouldn't be hating. Time heals all wounds and all that, and they're giving us $60 spenders our promised game, eventually. But some people are able to enjoy the promised game at the same time as I do for only $10.

Imagine paying $60 for an Early Access game, then when the game finally finishes being developed, the developer releases the game at retail for $10. That's what this felt like in the end.

As it is, I take it as a lesson learned on MY end on what to trust pre-release and I'm still enjoying the game after the updates.

Same here. I blame climate change.

But I want to move it anyway, currently it is in a system with a black hole but I prefer now a location close to one of the Portals in order to LARP Stargate SG1 haha.

How many glyphs do you need to find before you can start the portal? Is 1 enough as there will be a planet's adress that is just 12x the same symbol?
I want to have all of them to be able to go to any place I want. But I don't know how to locate the lost travelers in the caves...

After doing some testing, I think I've figured out what causes the frame rate to tank on the PS4 Pro at 4K.

I was mining a large resource deposit and the game was running fine. When I scanned the deposit, the framerate absolutely tanks and goes down to single digits, but only when I look at the deposit.

When I first noticed the framerate issues, I did notice that there were a ton of large deposits underground. I can say with confidence, that this is the reason the framerate is going down.

Any news on the Steam version? Almost time to go home for the day and I want to play!

Steam version is updated!

I had stopped playing until this patch hit thinking i might need to restart when it does. Logged into find my home planet completely changed, and not for the better. Luckily i was only probably 15 hours in at most, since i didnt buy it until after 1.2.

That sealed it. Just cleared my save and will be starting over. Hopefully this is the last time they change the planet / glaxay sim so drastically, because if I have to start over again i’ll be pissed.

Anyone have the graphics glitching when jumping between planets? I’m on the PS4 Pro and when i’m using hyperspace the screen gets jump when I approach a planet. Things are find once i slow to normal boost speed.

Honome

If Destiny have released all their DLC with the rest of the game content for FREE, like NMS is doing i am sure they would be forgiven. But they charged (and charged a lot!) for it.

Meanwhile, can't wait to restart a survival mode tonight, don't play the game in a long time after playing more than 40 hours of it last year.

Flipyap

Maybe they would if Activision Bungie treated its customers the same way. These updates are free and each of them changed the game more than Destiny's entire post-launch support.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

let me know whenever a destiny game goes on sale for £10 and releases 3 major updates for free within the first year of release.

belvedere

Junior Butler
List of fixes already coming.

unknown.png

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I've decided I'm going to re-start, but first I want to finish getting the platinum trophy on my old save. Only need to destroy 3 more pirates, scan all the life on two more planets, then do the extreme survival thing. Is there any easier way to track down all the life on a planet or is it still super tedious?

paulogy

Okay so we're getting some early impressions of how Joint Exploration works. But I still have so many questions:

1. Can you see each other? Yes, as orbs.
  2. Can you see the other's ship? No, but their orb glows green when they are in their ship.
  3. Can you interact? You can use in-game voice chat (VOIP) with up to 16 people nearby
  4. Can you mute / disable? Yes, can mute people, or turn off network play entirely
  5. Do you need PS+ to use JE? No.
  6. Can you modify the terrain and impact the other person? Seems no with the multitool grenade. Not sure about the new terrain deformer tool.
  7. If you fight an animal, can the other person see it? No.
  8. If you build a base can the other person see it being built? __________
  9. If you activate a monolith can the other person see it? __________
  10. If you break down a door to a Manufacturing Facility can the other person see it (and enter after)? __________
  11. What can you do? You can create a monument together to memorialize your meeting. (seems there can only be one monument per system?)

Curious if people have answers to these, or more questions about Joint Exploration, yet :)

JoeBoy101

Are there sandworms in the game yet?

I know this is a common question. But after I answer the question, 'As far as we know, they are not, and not mentioned in the patch notes,' I want to offer this for consideration.

1) Desert planets has now been added.
2) Terrain deformation has now been added.

If I wanted huge sandworms creating tunnels while moving, I would need these two things for that.

OmegaFax

I found a portal, on my way there, streaming now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUqVAGqZXwA

Edit: Party's over, you have to freaking learn every glyph from fallen travelers to activate, after grinding a bunch of materials.

Here's mine, did you manage to activate it? I couldn't enter any address after activating every glyph

Edit: I just watched some other streamers portal video, they selected "activate portal" and it worked, but mine is requesting an address, which in the guide suggest I have to find fallen travelers and learn about the glyphs.
nGMnsAS.png

Activated it. Entered the glyphs you posted. Had to step out for lunch which is why it took me so long to respond.

I see iMattAces and it looks like you have your mic enabled. There's a thing in "Options" button menu when you hit the L3 button (little menu prompt in the lower right corner)

MrNelson

Banned
Can anyone tell me if they've made it so that planets have multiple biomes yet? I haven't played since a few weeks after launch, but if I remember correctly planets were just a single biome.

The ๖ۜBronx;245920218 said:
People that continued their save, do you feel lost with anything at all, or see a benefit to starting over?

I tried to resume my game, but was overwhelmed so starting a new one right now!

Edit: Is the game crossplay with PC or do I only see PS4 players?

Ducktail

Wow so many reports of peoples' base planets a becoming toxic shitholes.

Guess Sean wouldn't let us get away after shitting on the game for so many months. What a better way to get revenge than throwing us all on planets full of hateful creatures and shit.

MattAces

Activated it. Entered the glyphs you posted. Had to step out for lunch which is why it took me so long to respond.

I see iMattAces and it looks like you have your mic enabled. There's a thing in "Options" button menu when you hit the L3 button (little menu prompt in the lower right corner)

Wait, are you darkleaper? Also how did you manage to activate the portal? Mine requires some sort of glyph learning.
I just had my first orb encounter. After holding square you will drop out a monolith marking the location, time and date you met the person.

Dude this FOV slider thing people are posting pictures with is making me SO anxious to play again. I love that look for this game, it's making it look like you're playing in a toy box or something, like tilt-shift photography almost. It looks soooo pretty <3

OmegaFax

Wait, are you darkleaper? Also how did you manage to activate the portal? Mine requires some sort of glyph learning.

I'm darkleaper. I'm playing the game in creative mode. It already has the glyph learning and ability to power-up the glyphs already unlocked.

Gleethor

Lost all 10 of my auto miners -_- wish they would've given us a warning, I could've deconstructed them and retained the resources.

Top Bottom