• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

The system doesn't care if the hash file exists because it also appends the save hash to the end of the sram file itself. You need to generate a SHA-1 hash and append it to the end of the file to keep the emulator from throwing it out.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but it should work.

Edit: Just tried it. Successfully moved over a Chrono Trigger save file from a playthrough I started a few weeks ago.
Im glad to know this is possible. I want to move my Chrono Trigger save from my Pi to my Snes mini, but i dont know what any of the things you said actually mean.

LordRaptor

I have a UK SNES Classic, and given its using USA ROMs, will PAL ROMs actually work on it?
Actual PAL SNES hardware needed a physical converter with a PAL game inserted to play US / JP games to bypass copy protection, so would this emulator bypass that, or would I need to patch PAL ROMs on an individual basis to bypass copy protection? Or does it only support NTSC version ROMs in the first place?

in SMW, how do you bounce up and down in the air with the cape? i just fall down

Tapping 'back' (right when flying left, left when flying right) when mario starts to level out will adjust him t start flying back up - if you time it well, you can gain height this way rather than just maintain it.
Pressing 'forward' when flying, he will start to dive, and tapping 'back' out of a dive will make him swoop upwards.

Basically, it works like hang gliding in Pilotwings

mrk8885

Banned
Okay guys. If you want to get on this, here is an early pre-release compile that functions fully. (I'm hosting it on my webspace so you don't have to look in shady places or anything, I think I am pretty trusted here. ;) )

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you're done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

What doesn't work right now?
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension

What games exhibit problems?
Treasure of the Rudras (hi-res text is blurry)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)
Uniracers (opponent always drawn in center of screen)
Smash Tennis (screen stretches outside of the confines of the TV)
Earthworm Jim 2 (audio issues)
Krusty's Super Fun House (graphics corruptions)
Air Strike Force (no shadow, garbled graphics at briefing, blurry hi-res text)

Thanks Robin! Oh happy day.

Geedorah

I've successfully dumped and flashed my FW, but the device keeps going offline when I try to sync.

If anyone has any tips, I'd love the advice - but no worries, I know this is all very new ground.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone someone will software mod a home button solution? Sucks you have to manually handle the device every time to just change games (or use a wii pro thingie).

TheExodu5

Banned
retroarch enables you to sync a games output to match your screens refresh rate exactly and therefore have perfect scrolling.

How's the input lag though? Generally synching in that manner would incur at least an additional 1-2 frames of lag.

That's one area I have to applaud the SNES Classic. Input lag is minimal.

Linkhero1

Apologies if this has been asked many times, but are there extension cables available that do not add any input lag? I kinda wish Nintendo just went with longer cables.

Seik

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked many times, but are there extension cables available that do not add any input lag? I kinda wish Nintendo just went with longer cables.

You shouldn't have an issue with the cables they sell at (let's say) Best Buy.

You'd need multiple extensions to create a delay problem.

Phatcorns

The system doesn't care if the hash file exists because it also appends the save hash to the end of the sram file itself. You need to generate a SHA-1 hash and append it to the end of the file to keep the emulator from throwing it out.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but it should work.

Edit: Just tried it. Successfully moved over a Chrono Trigger save file from a playthrough I started a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the help! I can't seem to get it to work though. (Apologies for the largish pics)

I took my save frontmission.srm, renamed it to cartridge.sram and pulled it into a hex editor:
BiJKFsG.jpg

Went to Analysis, Checksums and selected SHA-1:
sPBFseK.jpg

Copied that and put it at the bottom and saved:
eToJvTq.jpg

Then I made a new file, copied that in there, and saved it as cartridge.sram.hash:
ZnXZ9Sd.jpg

Then I uploaded it to the game folder and it still deleted them and created a new save. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

inner-G

Banned

Do extension cables ever add lag? Wireless does

Extension cables just physically extend the wire, there's no processing or anything going on

Linkhero1

You shouldn't have an issue with the cables they sell at (let's say) Best Buy.

You'd need multiple extensions to create a delay problem.

Do extension cables ever add lag? Wireless does

Extension cables just physically extend the wire, there's no processing or anything going on

Thanks. Makes sense.

I've had experiences in the past with extension cables would add lag, but they may have been bad.

i bought this 2pack on tuesday, arrived today (friday) here in ohio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SNES-Mini...e-Controller-Extension-Cable-6FT/263163558527

i offered him $6 and it was insta-accepted so you can prolly go lower.

Will check this out. Thank you.

Thanks for the help! I can't seem to get it to work though. (Apologies for the largish pics)

I took my save frontmission.srm, renamed it to cartridge.sram and pulled it into a hex editor:

Went to Analysis, Checksums and selected SHA-1:

Copied that and put it at the bottom and saved:

Then I made a new file, copied that in there, and saved it as cartridge.sram.hash:

Then I uploaded it to the game folder and it still deleted them and created a new save. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I'm not sure. What's the exact size of your Front Mission save before the hash is added to the end?

Edit: Never mind, I can see the file size on the hex editor screenshot. It looks like you're doing exactly the same thing I did, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Just to reduce the number of variables, I wouldn't bother with the .hash file because the emulator doesn't care if it exists.

How's the input lag though? Generally synching in that manner would incur at least an additional 1-2 frames of lag.

That's one area I have to applaud the SNES Classic. Input lag is minimal.

that's why retroarch is so good, enabling the hard gpu sync option with the setting to 0 will give you an even more responsive experience then the snesc. you can also muck around with frame delay and vysnc swap interval to reduce it even further.

ofc not in homebrew land. in official land, where the game never landed on VC.

But three of the games on the SNES classic had never been released on the VC (one of which had never been released, period). Before it was revealed, people would have said the same thing about Yoshi's Island and Star Fox being on the SNES classic, and nobody would have seen Star Fox 2 coming.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Sorry if this was answered. Do translation patches work? Ex: Seiken Densetsui 3

Certain ones do, and certain ones don't. I've tried out Wrecking Crew 98 and Shin Megami Tensei, both of them have worked for me with no issues. Shin Megami Tensei even has a mod for automapping that's working too. Fire Emblem 4, however, crashes on startup for me. It's kind of like how certain games work or don't work right now, just kind of a grab bag issue.

On a similar note, patched Super Mario All-Stars (the SMB1/LL brick physics fix) works too.

I didn't even realize this before, but when the official hack gets released, it's only going to work with Windows, huh?

Also, any updates on the official hack?

jmizzal

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, here is an early pre-release compile that functions fully. (I'm hosting it on my webspace so you don't have to look in shady places or anything, I think I am pretty trusted here. ;) )

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you're done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

What doesn't work right now?
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension

What games exhibit problems?
Treasure of the Rudras (hi-res text is blurry)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)
Uniracers (opponent always drawn in center of screen)
Smash Tennis (screen stretches outside of the confines of the TV)
Earthworm Jim 2 (audio issues)
Krusty's Super Fun House (graphics corruptions)
Air Strike Force (no shadow, garbled graphics at briefing, blurry hi-res text)

YES HERE WE GO

Time for some Turtles and Mortal Kombat

Chesskid1

Banned
something weird happened when i left my system idle

it said username:, login:, and memory and it was autofilling

i pressed a button and it went away

edit: nvm it was megaman

Any recommended extension cords. Sorry, someone posted some before but I lost the link.

Yo, that was me.

Not him but I've been using these and so far so good. I was debating between 2M or 3M. Glad I went 3M as the bit of extra slack is nice to run it under my coffee table with a decent amount of travel space left.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBP57V1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: for reference, just measured and it is exactly 8 feet from my TV/SNES to the edge of my couch. If that helps.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
if there was frameskip applied then the game would be running at 30fps with a 60hz output. what you are seeing is the slight mismatch between the solid 60hz of you hdtv and what the snes classic outputs and the original snes hardware which ran slightly faster at 60.08hz. it will run perfectly smooth on a crt as it would have been able to match the exact refresh of the original console.

This is not true, SMW ground scrolls with a slight hiccup even on a CRT with original hardware.

ZServ

So, if I do this hack, do the core games stay there, I'm just adding more? I'm only interested in adding CT. That's all. Or do I have to "re-add" the core games?

mrk8885

Banned
For anyone changing cover art size to be the proper 228 x 160 pixels, i recommend doing them as a batch on a website like bulkresizephotos.com. Was super quick.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, if I do this hack, do the core games stay there, I'm just adding more? I'm only interested in adding CT. That's all. Or do I have to "re-add" the core games?

Core games are in a read-only area, so cannot be removed, only hidden (if you choose). Adding new games will not remove the core games.

SOLDIER

Wondering again, can you add patches to the games already included? Can I, for example, apply the patch that changes Link’s hair color for AlttP, or do I have to add an additional patched version of the game?

If it’s the latter, how do I “hide” the original game so as not to have dupes on the main menu?

Also, what’s the easiest tool to patch games these days?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wondering again, can you add patches to the games already included? Can I, for example, apply the patch that changes Link's hair color for AlttP, or do I have to add an additional patched version of the game?

If it's the latter, how do I ”hide" the original game so as not to have dupes on the main menu?

Also, what's the easiest tool to patch games these days?

The "core" games are store in a read-only area of the system memory, so I doubt you'll be able to patch the existing roms. Unless there's a way to apply the patches on the fly, you'll likely have to add your own patched roms. Hackchi should allow you to hide the "core" games on the homescreen.

Full disclosure: I'm not a modder, so I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom