• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread - Scott Proctor on to get some posts in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
about time they released proctor, i was afraid they were going to actually keep him. And KK to AA Mississippi?? weird. They really must hate him.

Macattk15

bluemax said:
He only played 2 games at SS after 2005 for the Mariners. The rest were OF/DH/1B/3B.

He didn't exactly hit for shit while with the Mariners.

Yeah. He hit very well in Spring Training. And when he got his shot on the M's as a back-up ... he dove and dislocated his shoulder while making a few errors in the OF.

I wish they didn't trade him however. I could tell he'd be able to hit. Langerhans ... not so much. Though he'll make the M's this season.

Wooooooooo. Season in less than a week. Probably the only time of the year I'm legitimately excited. I won't make predictions because I'd probably be hideously wrong. Just ready to sit back and soak up some baseball.

The White Sox have made the unique decision to option Jeff Marquez and break camp with Lastings Milledge on the bench. This means the White Sox will begin the season with only 6 relief pitchers.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
mYm|17| said:
Kyle Farnsworth will surprise people and we will get "the dude" back this year
I hope so. I always root for Rays in that division.

KK may experience some culture shock in Pearl, Miss.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
it's ok, as long as you are part of the Yankee council you are in for life. hey, not that i dont think Sanjuro did a great job with the thread but wasn't it supposed to be a fan of the world series winner? Corran or Xia?
edit: I'll make my predictions later.
Yes. Obviously some people couldn't wait. I hadn't even decided on my Butch Huskey Award winner yet. Also:

Untitled46.png

Yes, Beato made the team! 12th pen spot should go to Izzy if healthy, and Emaus is the starting 2B. I'm stunned, everything went the way I hoped in Spring.

Sharp

bluemax said:
He only played 2 games at SS after 2005 for the Mariners. The rest were OF/DH/1B/3B.

He hit pretty well for you IIRC. Had an over 100 wRC+ every single year with you, in fact, albeit in limited playing time.

McNei1y

bluemax said:

I posted a reply to your earlier comment in the old MLB thread. You said he doesn't do anything after spring yet I looked through his game logs and he actually did very well coming off the bench.

The Nyjer Morgan deal wasn't TERRIBLE or anything. Keep in mind that he's one year removed from putting up a 4.9 WAR. Granted that season happens to be the only stand-out season of his career. But still, at least according to stats, he plays average to above-average defense. And his career OBP, even with the poor 2010, is .344.

At the very least, the guy is a solid bench player.

Oh, and Cutter Dykstra? He has promise with the bat, but he's also a defensive atrocity.

The Mitre trade is harder to defend. Dickerson will be missed. I don't agree with that one.

Windu

over the course of their careers, Morgan has been the better offensive and defensive player apparently.

Gomez 14.3 UZR/150 career in Center. 73 wRC+ career hitter.

Morgan, 18 UZR/150, 92 wRC+.

jman2050

tyguy20204 said:
The Nyjer Morgan deal wasn't TERRIBLE or anything. Keep in mind that he's one year removed from putting up a 4.9 WAR. Granted that season happens to be the only stand-out season of his career. But still, at least according to stats, he plays average to above-average defense. And his career OBP, even with the poor 2010, is .344.

But is he better than Adam Dunn?

Sharp

Windu said:
over the course of their careers, Morgan has been the better offensive and defensive player apparently.

Gomez 14.3 UZR/150 career in Center. 73 wRC+ career hitter.

Morgan, 18 UZR/150, 92 wRC+.
You have to keep in mind that a large part of Morgan's career is that one great '09. He's also on the wrong side of 30. I don't really know anything about Gomez so I can't say whether Morgan is better, but I definitely would not expect him to replicate his career numbers this year, or even close to it. Particularly not the UZR.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:

Oh, and Cutter Dykstra? He has promise with the bat, but he's also a defensive atrocity.

The Mitre trade is harder to defend. Dickerson will be missed. I don't agree with that one.

I only want power on my bench.

Kingbrave

Got tickets for the April 9 game against Philly! Can't wait for the 5 hour drive to see Heyward and Uggla! I was to sick to go see the Braves last year, so this just rocks!

First time I get to follow this thread from the beginning, and being able to post. Woo.

Opening day should be a national holiday.

Go Phillies =x

Sharp said:
You have to keep in mind that a large part of Morgan's career is that one great '09. He's also on the wrong side of 30. I don't really know anything about Gomez so I can't say whether Morgan is better, but I definitely would not expect him to replicate his career numbers this year, or even close to it. Particularly not the UZR.

Keep in mind that Morgan, having spurned the Nats, is now joining Greinke in the promised land that is the Brewers organization. Automatic +2 WAR upgrade.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Keep in mind that Morgan, having spurned the Nats, is now joining Greinke in the promised land that is the Brewers organization. Automatic +2 WAR upgrade.

So, how nervous are you for Marcum's start tomorrow? I can't be the only one sweating bullets.

Windu

Fun? Lol no. Perhaps the drowning in alcohol part was fun but definitely not watching that bastard ruin our year.

Predictions:

1. The $165 million payrolled Phillies, with possibly the most dominant starting rotation in major league history (the best starting rotation money could buy that is) will not only lose the NL East crown to the Braves but will miss the playoffs entirely. Utley's degenerative knee condition allows him to play In less than 50 games and dominic brown's hand injury never allows him to hit with any power during the season. The aging lineup and rotations will have their share of other injuries and many player performances will regress due to being past their prime. I think the Phillies end with around 84 to 88 wins and just miss winning the wildcard.

2. Division standings

NL East:
Braves
Phillies
Marlins
Mets
Nationals

NL Central:
Reds
Brewers
Cardinals
Cubs
Astros
Pirates

NL West:
Rockies
Giants (wild card)
Padres
Dodgers
Diamondbacks

AL East:
Red Sox
Rays (wild card)
Yankees
Blue Jays
Orioles

AL Central:
White Sox
Twins
Tigers
Indians
Royals (lose 100+ games, get first pick in draft as Dayton has purposely filled the roster with absolute trash (frenchie, melkys, Kendall, davies, etc.) with the purpose of stock pilling picks until the major leave team is actually ready to compete which I believe starts in 2012)

AL West:
Athletics
Rangers
Angels
Mariners

3. Playoffs

AL WC Games: Red Sox over Athletics, Rays over White Sox
AL Championship Game: Red Sox over Rays

NL Wild Card Games: Braves over Giants, Reds over Rockies
NL Championship Game: Braves over Reds

World Series: Braves over Red Sox in 7!

4. Awards

AL MVP - Evan Longoria
AL Cy Young - Jon Lester
AL Rookie of the Year - Jeremy Hellickson

NL MVP - Jay Bruce
NL Cy Young - Cliff Lee
NL Rookie of the Year - Freddie Freeman

Enron

Banned
Windu said:
Fun? Lol no. Perhaps the drowning in alcohol part was fun but definitely not watching that bastard ruin our year.

I was actually in the stands at his meltdown game. Everyone in the entire city wanted him dead.

I was also at Turner Field for the Conrad show.

I don't think there would have been so much heat on Conrad if Hinske hadn't hit that two-run homer in the 8th inning to give the Braves a 2-1 lead. I have never heard Turner Field in my life explode like that as it did when Hinske hit the bomb.

Matt Diaz said it best after the game. There hasn't been a game with such a roller coaster of emotions in such a short period of time like that in a while.

You have to sympathize with him though. The only reason he was out there was because he had to be out there. Chipper and Prado were gone for good. There was just no one else, and Troy Glaus had been burned as a pinch hitter in the 8th inning. You could still make a case for Diory Hernandez being put in at 2B for 9th inning defense, but even then, the game would still be tied and you'd be going into extra innings with only your backup catcher left on the bench.

Of course, if Bobby hadn't even taken Kimbrel out in the first place for Mike fucking Dunn, this probably would have never happened.

Just found out my little brother is taking me to the Brewers-Pirates game on May 15 for my birthday. Since he's only fourteen I guess I'm taking him, but hey, shit's all paid for, so I don't mind. And since it's the Pirates at home, automatic win!

Prediction time!

NL East

1. Braves
2. Phillies - WC
3. Marlins
4. Mets
5. Nationals

NL Central

1. Brewers
2. Reds
3. Cardinals
4. Astros
5. Cubs
6. Pirates

NL West

1. Giants
2. Dodgers
3. Padres
4. Rockies
5. D-Backs

AL East

1. Red Sox
2. Rays - WC
3. Blue Jays
4. Yankees
5. Orioles

AL Central

1. Twins
2. White Sox
3. Tigers
4. Indians
5. Royals

AL West

1. Rangers
2. A's
3. Angels
4. Mariners

NLDS

Brewers - Phillies
Giants - Braves

ALDS

Red Sox - Twins
Rangers - Rays

NLCS

Brewers - Giants

ALCS

Red Sox - Rangers

WS

Brewers - Red Sox

Awards

AL Cy Young - King Felix
AL MVP - Joe Mauer

NL Cy Young - Yovani Gallardo
NL MVP - Ryan Braun

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
AL

East
Yankees
Red Sox WC

Central
Twins

West
A's

NL

East
Phillies
Braves WC

Central
Cardinals

West
Giants

Windu

Jon Heyman said:
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla—In an attempt to move the organization into a new era, the New York Mets announced Friday they will part ways with the New York Mets, releasing all 40 of its roster players and its entire farm system. "They were given a fair chance to prove themselves, but they've shown a disappointing lack of productivity for the past 64 years," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters, citing the 1988 NLCS, the 1999 NLCS, the Subway Series, the 2006 NLCS, the 2007 and 2008 collapses, seven consecutive losing seasons in the 1960s, the decision to trade Nolan Ryan, K-Rod punching his girlfriend's father in the face, and Carlos Beltran as reasons to swallow the remaining $480 million left on every player's contract. "Mets fans associate an intense feeling of negativity with the Mets. Cutting the entire organization was the only way to get them back on our side." Following his statement, Alderson said, "Goodbye," and left, as he had just informed himself of his own release.

link

jman2050 said:
Baseball's back ALRIGHT

The Magnificent Yankees of Grand Ole New York - 162-0, CC wins 36 games and is awarded the Cy Young twice for his efforts. A-Rod hits 71 home runs. Joba finishes with a 4.50 ERA. World Series champs

The Dastardly Grumpy Ol Self-Absorbed Dingbats of Beantown - Gonzalez is injured for the year, Crawford fails to outproduce Brett Gardner, Beckett continues to implode, and Manny hits seventeen home runs against them during the season. Last place.
2nd place

Jangocube's Fetish - Better than last year, still not quite enough to crack that nut called Last Place

The Alex Anthopjpowhatevers of Canada - May or may not make some noise, fans should just be grateful Vernon is gone. 4th place.

FREE SYLAR - A force to be reckoned with despite losing half their roster. Price continues to dominate and Jennings breaks out. Continue to play in that shithole stadium in that shithole town I always hated visiting when I lived in Florida. Bullpen scares me though. 3rd place.

That Chicago Team Eminem rooted for. Where is he anyhow? - Don't know shit about what they did this offseason, Peavy looks to be DOA I guess? 3rd place

Zack Grienke's old flame - Not this year. Ask again in 2012 then we'll start talking. 4th place

Less threatening than anime catgirls - Miguel Cabrera learns to hold his liquor and competes for MVP again. Verlander is Verlander. Still won't be enough but they'll be better than people think I reckon. 2nd place.

The Yankees' Bitches - Win the division, face the Yankees in the first round, promptly get swept. So business as usual. Kevin Butler signed in August to help with the stretch run. AL Central winners.

Charlie Sheen didn't implode as swiftly as these guy - There's always Major League. Last place by a mile.

Little Bitch's Mound - I like what Beane's been doing to keep his team above water but for god's sake, can they please spend some money already? This is getting tiring. 3rd place.

#6#17org - Transition year for them, absolutely nothing of interesting except further confirmation that they should have just taken Montero
damn yoooou Jack ZZZZ
. Last place.

That California team everyone hates. - Will finish 2nd by virtue of their division being a piece of shit. Five years later Mr Morales will remember to tell us his name is Kandrys, not Kendrys.

Those No-Good Cockblockers - Oh we're coming for you. That's right. No Cliff Lee to save your ass this time, so be ready for pain. AL West winners.

MEET THE MEST. BEAT THE MEST - I actually don't think they're going to have a bad year. They won't make the playoffs but they should easily finish close to or over .500. Not sure how their future looks though. 3rd place.

OOOOOOOOOH OOOH OAOAOOOOOOOOH. OOOOOOOOOH OHH OAOAOOOOOOOOOH - Great team, definitely a legit pick for the NL East or at least the wildcard. Looking forward to visiting Turner again, great great stadium. 2nd place.

Trade AI set to "Easy" - This team are the luckiest sons of bitches ever, no? Fortunately, it looks like their offense may end up dooming them in the long run despite the godly pitching staff. So basically, they're the last 90's Braves. NL East winners.

Steven Strasburg's Elbow - Please stay in one place please please pleaaaaase. Last place.

My high school band concert had better attendance numbers - What exactly am I supposed to say here? Does anyone care? 4th place.

Zack Greinke's new whore - Ehhhhh they're going to be pretty good but I just can't see them beating the Reds. Greinke is going to absolutely annihilate the NL Central though. 2nd place

How do you spell Cinccinnati again? - Pujols should have won the MVP last season. That aside, Votto, Chapman and co will ensure another division title. NL Central winners.

BAC 0.35 - Hahahahaha you guys are still stuck with Tony Larussa hahahahahaha. Actually, I would've picked this team as a legit contender to Cincy had it not been for Wainwright's injury. A shame otherwise. 3rd place.

:jakncoke - :jakncoke Last place :jakncoke

103 Years and still counting - Nuff said. 5th place.

This team still exists, right? - The only way these guys could get me to pay attention to them is if they returned to those 70's/80's uniforms. That'd be pretty awesome. 4th place.

Snake Rattle and Roll! - Completely uninteresting team gets completely uninteresting analysis. Last place.

There's too much magic inside - But not enough to repeat. Ah who am I kidding, they're probably winning this division and once they're in well... it's Lincecum for goodness' sake! NL West winners.

That California team everyone hates. No, the other one. - I have no idea what's going on with this team. Nomar, anyone here wanna give me a hand? Tentative 3rd place.I could finish with a 4.50 ERA in this park - Come on assholes, seriously? Casey Kelly and a bunch of stiffs? I hope your team crashes and burns in the worst possible way. 4th place.

Demolish the Humidor - It's not as fun when this park's offense is only ridiculous rather than ludicrous. Either way, I have the Giants winning the division but if any team can challenge them, it's this one. 2nd place.

They gonna shock everyone and win the west...Timmy gotta do more than "One More Try" because Dodgers still own Cain they can hit against Sanchez and Zito? LOL

Loney gonna be a doubles Machine and Kemp is looking for redemption..Just praying Furcal and play a full season and Jensen be the closer. For sure they not going out without a fight...LOL

sf2fanatic said:
They gonna shock everyone and win the west...Timmy gotta do more than "One More Try" because Dodgers still own Cain they can hit against Sanchez and Zito? LOL

Loney gonna be a doubles Machine and Kemp is looking for redemption..Just praying Furcal and play a full season and Jensen be the closer. For sure they not going out without a fight...LOL
Just do yourself a favor and root for the Angels. No one here will notice you've flipped, the Lakers avatar will help corroborate your proximity to the team and you'll have at least a glimmer of hope for the season.

Then again you don't have to necessarily go for a team that's close to you. A lot of strides have been made in this forward-thinking, progressive sports thread towards California Yankee fans. It's ok now to come out as a Yankee fan even if you live on the opposite side of the country and the Gaf TOS will protect you from any jerks that question your fanhood.

bean breath said:
Just do yourself a favor and root for the Angels. No one here will notice you've flipped, the Lakers avatar will help corroborate your proximity to the team and you'll have at least a glimmer of hope for the season.

Then again you don't have to necessarily go for a team that's close to you. A lot of strides have been made in this forward-thinking, progressive sports thread towards California Yankee fans. It's ok now to come out as a Yankee fan even if you live on the opposite side of the country and the Gaf TOS will protect you from any jerks that question your fanhood.

Im both angels/dodgers fan..Sanj hasnt updated..I root for any so cal team except USC....Only non socal team I root for is Tennessee Titans. F Choakland and Lams

sf2fanatic said:
Im both angels/dodgers fan..Sanj hasnt updated..I root for any so cal team except USC....Only non socal team I root for is Tennessee Titans. F Choakland and Lams
What the hell is up with L.A. football fans not liking the Chargers? Is San Diego really that far?

rc213

bean breath said:
What the hell is up with L.A. football fans not liking the Chargers? Is San Diego really that far?

L.A. Raiders or Death!

I chose death. Fuck Chokeland!

6633646333376661.jpg

Predictions:

ALE: Red Sox
ALC: Twins
ALW: Angels
WC: Duh

NLE: Braves
NLC: Cardinals
NLW: Rockies
WC: Phillies

After last years post season fiasco where I got EVERY PICK WRONG, I am just saying "fuck it" and i'm going for gold. I'll be like the guy who picked the Final Four. Now who's smart, Mr. President?

Can't wait for the season to start!

Go Phils!

Also, I'm really interested to see how the O's fair this year. Will be keeping a close eye on them. I think they are going to surprise some people (not saying they are going wild card or anything).

Now the NeoGAF ads are pimping the Bautista Bobblehead day to me.

I just can't escape!

I think I might have to get myself a Bobblehead.

eznark

Banned
NL East
Phillies
Braves (WC)
Marlins
Mets
Nationals

NL Central
Brewers
Cardinals
Reds
Pirates
Cubs
Astros

NL West
Dodgers
Rockies
Giants
Padres
Diamondbacks

AL East
Red Sox
Yankees (WC)
Devil Rays
Orioles
Blue Jays

AL Central
Twins
White Sox
Tigers
Royals
Indians

AL West
Rangers
A's
Angels
Mariners

NLDS

Brewers - Phillies
Giants - Braves

ALDS

Red Sox - Twins
Rangers - Rays

NLCS

Brewers - Braves
ALCS

Twins - Rangers
WS

Brewers - Twins

Awards

AL Cy Young - Francisco Liriano
AL MVP - Nelson Cruz (get paid!)

NL Cy Young - Zack Greinke
NL MVP - Rickie Weeks (get paid!)

Sanjuro

SafeinSound said:

Go Phils!

Also, I'm really interested to see how the O's fair this year. Will be keeping a close eye on them. I think they are going to surprise some people (not saying they are going wild card or anything).
The Orioles are going to rack up a ton of wins strictly on offense in high score affairs or teams just having an off day. Don't expect them to hold any sort of leads though.

Sharp

Ugh, LaRoche is going to be playing through an injury to start off the season. Who's running this shit again?

eznark

Banned
SafeinSound said:

Go Phils!

I agree 100%. It's going to be mind blowing to not see the Orioles in dead last. 4th place, woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom