• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread - Scott Proctor on to get some posts in

Status
Not open for further replies.

elkeffe

Neo Member
AL East
Red Sox
Yankees

Blue Jays
Rays
Orioles

AL Central
White Sox
Twins
Tigers
Royals
Indians

AL West
Rangers
A's
Angels
Mariners

NL East
Phillies
Braves

Marlins
Mets
Nats

NL West
Rockies
Giants
Dodgers
Padres
D-Backs

NL Central
Brewers
Reds
Cardinals
Cubs
Pirates
Astros

Red Sox vs Rangers
White Sox vs Yankees
Phillies vs Brewers
Rockies vs Braves

Red Sox vs Yankees
Phillies vs Rockies

Phillies vs Yankees

Cy Young - King Felix, Halladay
MVP - Gonalez, Tulo

turnbuckle

Whoo hoo

Jhonny Peralta for MVP
Penny for the Cy Young
Cabrera gets a gold glove
Tigers win the World Series!

So far we are undefeated!

Another year, another MLB thread with my favorite group in GAF - and more domination from the greatest sports team on Earth, your beloved 27-TIME WORLD CHAMPION NEW YORK YANKEES.

AL East:
Yankees
Red Sox (wild card)
Rays
Orioles
Blue Jays

AL Central:
Twins
White Sox
Tigers
Royals
Indians

AL West:
Rangers
A's
Angels
Mariners

NL East:
Phillies
Braves (wild card)
Marlins
Nats
Mets

NL West:
Giants
Rockies
Dodgers
Padres
D-Backs

NL Central:
Reds
Brewers
Cardinals
Cubs
Pirates
Astros

Playoffs:
Yankees vs Rangers
Red Sox vs Twins
Phillies vs Reds
Giants vs Braves

Red Sox vs Yankees
Reds vs Braves

Braves vs Yankees

=Yankees win their 28th title.
Now, I know what you're thinking - but captmcblack, the Yankees starting pitching is crap and everyone's getting old! I say to you the following:

- in the last two seasons, a WS title season and a ALCS season, the Yankees got pitching out of the last rotation spots from the likes of Chien Ming Wang, Sergio Mitre, Chad Gaudin, Javy Vazquez, Dustin Moseley (as well as others/rookies) - and still won 95 or more games each time.
- the Yankee bullpen is pretty tough now. Rivera is still the closer. The second best closer in the AL East is now our 8th inning guy. The quality pen that propelled us the last two years is still intact - Robertson, Chamberlain, Logan are still linchpins, and additional help in Feliciano and even potentially Colon will be a big boost.
- The Yankee offense will get a big boost from a healthy Alex Rodriguez, who hits 30/100 even sleepwalking and with one hip.
- There are new Yankids waiting in the wings to bolster the rotation, bullpen and even the offense. Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, Jesus Montero...they're all coming soon. Ivan Nova...he's already here and has done pretty well in the majors.
- You don't *really* think we're going to sit in July with a rotation of "just" Sabathia/Hughes/Burnett/Nova/Garcia, do you? :jakncoke The Yankees will drop fat sacks of cash and prospects on anyone that is made available. And if for some reason they can't do that, they'll call up some of their top prospects.
- The Yankee offense is still "only" Gardner/Jeter/Teixeira/Rodriguez/Cano/Posada/Swisher/Granderson/Martin. It'll still kick your ass. A gimpy Yankee offense from last year with significant time missed by A-Rod and Posada, slow starts from Granderson and Teix (who was hurt and out in the ALCS), and a down year from Jeter still destroyed the league and made it two games from the World Series.

So basically, yeah...Yankees offense is way too potent to get steamrolled by anyone - and key cogs in it are fully healthy. Yankees defense is improved simply by having a defensively-functional catching position again. Yankees pitching is about as good as it has been in the past two seasons (replacing Dandy Andy's efficacy between Hughes and Nova's continued development), and if it's not any better, they'll go get someone - guaranteed. And if they can't get anyone, it's all good because the bullpen makes it a 6-inning game or less.

Get down or lay down, kids. Yankees Council still runs this bitch. See you in October.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I was offered Granderson/Hamels/Alfonso Soriano for my Ryan Braun... I'm saying no, but I just want to double check to make sure I'm not insane. Thoughts?

eznark said:
I agree 100%. It's going to be mind blowing to not see the Orioles in dead last. 4th place, woo!

Hey! Fourth ain't so bad for a division as stacked as that. (i know you weren't making that point, just sayin').

jman2050

captmcblack telling it like it is.

Yankees gonna run a train on the league again and there's nothing you all can do about it.

Sanjuro

Enron said:
Well, I assumed we were at least all beyond noob trade proposals. Guess I was wrong!

Typical Sox fan!
You could have revised it. I was going to best case scenario in my position. You never know when you have a racist fan with a firesale on minorities.

Enron

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Yeah....no.

Ryan Braun is a top 10 pick. You would at least need a fantasy ace starting pitcher (Roy Halladay or someone of that caliber) along with a good bat in any return for him.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yeah I have Braun as a potential NL MVP this year, so I'd need a pair of top 20 guys at least in return.

My team is actually not looking as bad as I originally thought. The combo of Kemp/Braun/Heyward/McCutcheon in my outfield spots is making me pretty horny.

No big name pitchers but everyone is solid WHIP and K/9 guys so whatev.

Aw man, my name didn't make it onto the Phillies logo? Oh well.

So what's the pool at on Halladay with 25+ wins this year?

Apparently Utley will be addressing the press today. I am hoping we have some sort of concrete status update on his condition. It seems like they are not going the surgery route or something, which gives me some hope we'll see him play before the all-star break, but at this rate who the hell knows.

Wellington said:
Yeah I have Braun as a potential NL MVP this year, so I'd need a pair of top 20 guys at least in return.

My team is actually not looking as bad as I originally thought. The combo of Kemp/Braun/Heyward/McCutcheon in my outfield spots is making me pretty horny.
Damn, your infield has to be awful, right? If not, you are set.
I can't wait to take all Brewers on Wednesday night. It is going to be GLORIOUS
It's this type of stuff that makes auctions so much more fun.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CajoleJuice said:
Agreed, stealing picks is much more fun in the auction format than standard drafting since people can try to respond and end up driving the price up.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
CajoleJuice said:
Damn, your infield has to be awful, right? If not, you are set.

It's a ten team league and my pitching is middling. Here is my draft that I posted in the last thread... it was a yahoo autodraft since I couldn't make the date:

1. (6) Ryan Braun LF
2. (15) Álex Rodríguez 3B
3. (26) Matt Kemp CF
4. (35) Andrew McCutchen CF
5. (46) Jimmy Rollins SS
6. (55) Jason Heyward RF
7. (66) Hunter Pence RF
8. (75) Billy Butler 1B
9. (86) Yovani Gallardo SP
10. (95) Jonathan Papelbon RP
11. (106) Geovany Soto C
12. (115) Aaron Hill 2B
13. (126) Brandon Morrow SP
14. (135) J.J. Putz RP
15. (146) Ricky Romero SP
16. (155) Ricky Nolasco SP
17. (166) John Danks SP
18. (175) Brian Matusz SP
19. (186) Ian Desmond SS
20. (195) Howie Kendrick 1B,2B
21. (206) Travis Snider LF,RF
22. (215) Brandon Lyon RP

Going to keep my eye on the waiver wire for a 2B, but I'm pleased with A-God and Rollins at least. Someone dropped Quentin, who I think will bounce back big time this year, so I motioned to drop Snyder in his favor. Can't hurt to try.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm sure Bonds has heard it all, but it must be awful listening to your former mistress testify in open court that your nuts shrank, you were impotent, and you threatened to cut her breast implants out because you paid for them.

eznark

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
No, he is still pulling everything and is a hack at 1b.

:(
EQ4Ak.jpg

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Not a ton. A relief man with decent k numbers.

Probably something like 8k/9 or so. He'll probably get a fair bit of work on days when Wolf and #5 pitch, and in the first month, but other than that I kind of hope he doesn't pitch but to lefties.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
XiaNaphryz said:
wat

Though I appreciate the Giants making the playoffs despite finishing 3rd.
You guys barely beat a braves team with half the team injured. Besides the braves are the 2nd best team in the league.

Edit: lol nvm I see that you were talking about the 2 wc teams, any that point about the braves vs giants still stands.

Here's my team for a 12-team Rotisserie league in Yahoo. What you guys think about the team?

Batting
Carlos Santana (Cle - C)
Justin Morneau (Min - 1B)
Neil Walker (Pit - 2B,3B)
David Wright (NYM - 3B)
Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
Carlos González (Col - OF)
Shin-Soo Choo (Cle - OF)
Delmon Young (Min - OF)
Nick Markakis (Bal - OF)
Michael Cuddyer (Min - 1B,3B,OF)
Asdrubal Cabrera (Cle - SS)
Denard Span (Min - OF)
Ike Davis (NYM - 1B)
James Loney (LAD - 1B)
Russell Martin (NYY - C)

Pitching
Jon Lester (Bos - SP)
Clay Buchholz (Bos - SP)
Neftali Feliz (Tex - RP)
Joe Nathan (Min - RP)
Tim Hudson (Atl - SP)
Daniel Bard (Bos - RP)
Jake Peavy (CWS - SP)
Jorge De La Rosa (Col - SP)

XiaNaphryz

Windu said:
You guys barely beat a braves team with half the team injured. Besides the braves are the 2nd best team in the league.
Don't worry, I'm sure Brooks Conrad will cost you in the playoffs once again.

Sanjuro

My rooster, bear with me. On phone at airport.

C Miguel Montero
1B Adrián González
2B Robinson Canó
3B Omar Infante
SS Cliff Pennington
OF Jacoby Ellsbury
OF Michael Cuddyer
OF Adam Jones
Util Pedro Alvarez
BN Jarrod Saltalamacchia
BN Marco Scutaro

SP CC Sabathia
SP Jon Lester
RP Daniel Bard
RP Rafael Soriano
P Ryan Dempster
P Justin Masterson
P David Aardsma
BN Manny Parra
BN Shaun Marcum
BN Bronson Arroyo

Windu said:

Edit: lol nvm I see that you were talking about the 2 wc teams, any that point about the braves vs giants still stands.
You know they lost Rick Ankiel, right? If this is the first you're hearing about this then I apologize for the rather frank tone of my post. I probably should have waited for one of your fellow Braves fans (4/5 of the posters in this thread) to let you down easily in a carefully worded PM.

XiaNaphryz

Might as well throw my last draft result up (in this league, there are separate OF position slots along with a Util). Not much in terms of relievers. Yahoo 12-team league, H2H.

Matt Wieters (Bal - C)
Adam Dunn (CWS - 1B)
Brandon Phillips (Cin - 2B)
Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B)
Hanley Ramírez (Fla - SS)
Brett Gardner (NYY - LF,CF)
Álex Ríos (CWS - CF)
Jason Heyward (Atl - RF)
Drew Stubbs (Cin - CF)
Aubrey Huff (SF - 1B,LF,RF)
Ángel Pagán (NYM - LF,CF,RF)
Neil Walker (Pit - 2B,3B)