• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain John Cena?

Status
Not open for further replies.
krae_man said:
He hasn't been a gangster since The Marine came out. Right now he's just a purple guy who salutes for no reason.
Brah I was referring to Raw last night. He said you make fun of me for the music I listen to because I live in a certain place.

Ultimoo said:
people watch wrestling for the story.

I know I do!

I'm very surprised by the (mostly?) positive reception Snookie got at Raw. I love Jersey Shore and I think she's adorable but I would have expected her to get booed out of there. Doesn't really seem like the right demographic.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Gary Whitta said:
In other news... Snooki is in a tag-team match at WrestleMania? Yeah, nothing desperate about that.

Yeah, like every year they bring in some B or C-list celebrity to have a match so WrestleMania gets some more mainstream media coverage. Same reason Drew Carey is being inducted into the hall of fame this year. Pretty shameless. I don't doubt that Vince is too senile to realize how blatant it is. But...maybe he does and just doesn't give a fuck.

krae_man

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Brah I was referring to Raw last night. He said you make fun of me for the music I listen to because I live in a certain place.

Cena lives in the concourse level of the Consol Energy Center.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, like every year they bring in some B or C-list celebrity to have a match so WrestleMania gets some more mainstream media coverage. Same reason Drew Carey is being inducted into the hall of fame this year. Pretty shameless. I don't doubt that Vince is too senile to realize how blatant it is. But...maybe he does and just doesn't give a fuck.

They've been doing that since Wrestlemania 1, Celebrities doing something stupid at Mania is part of what makes Mania what it is.

Angry Fork

Gary Whitta said:
I watched a bit of WWE Raw last night because I heard The Rock was back and I don't get Cena's appeal at all. Is he supposed to be a bad guy? He sucker-punched The People's Champion!

While I'm at it... The Miz? What the fuck is THAT?
Rock is back full-time? Might watch if so. If it's just one of those BS cameo things however then meh.

I really miss the attitude era or whatever it was called. Wrestling is so dumbed down now you can't hit people with chairs no hell in a cell, even the storylines are just ridiculously stupid (they were dumb back then but now it's obnoxious) They took away all the cool shit. The days of Undertaker pushing Mankind off the hell in a cell are over I guess =/

Zwei

Is there an equivalent to Mankind in today's WWE?

There's A guy that just had a total disregard for his body. I loved watching that dude, too.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Zwei said:
Is there an equivalent to Mankind in today's WWE?

There's A guy that just had a total disregard for his body. I loved watching that dude, too.

Not really. They don't even do chairshots to the head (which is a good thing) or blood anymore.

Neki

Lost Fragment said:
Not really. They don't even do chairshots to the head (which is a good thing) or blood anymore.
haven't chair shots to the head been shown to be bad for your health though?

Zwei

Lost Fragment said:

I can understand wanting to protect the long-term health of the wrestlers, but it's weird to see wrestling become sissified like the NFL.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Xater

Zwei said:
I can understand wanting to protect the long-term health of the wrestlers, but it's weird to see wrestling become sissified like the NFL.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Basically if you want to see cool wrestling these days you have to watch the indies.

Grifter

so the rock is back full time but leaving after wrestlemania?

i used to watch a lot of njpw and followed chris benoit closely. is he back in america now?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ultimoo said:
haven't chair shots to the head been shown to be bad for your health though?

That would be why I think it's a good thing WWE doesn't do them anymore.

Grifter said:

i used to watch a lot of njpw and followed chris benoit closely. is he back in america now?

Yeah he's in America. In a hole in the ground somewhere.

xero273

Grifter said:

Are you referring to Chris Benoit? If so, Chris has been dead for a couple years now.

evil ways

It's funny, the hatred Cena gets reminds me of when I was a kid. My grandpa loved Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat, and I was into Hulk Hogan, Warrior and Randy Savage.

I had the action figure, the Hulk Rules shirt and the bandana. Gramps always got in my case saying Hogan was a joke and he wasn't a real wrestler. 20 years later I'm not a fan of Cena but it's the same shit, a limited in-ring performer who appeals to kids via toys, shirts and super human boosts of invincibility during matches.

Lost Fragment said:
That would be why I think it's a good thing WWE doesn't do them anymore.

I can understand banning unprotected chair shots as concussions are very serious business, but I think it's ridiculous that WWE don't even allow protected chair shots any more.

adizzy615

Neo Member
He is so far ahead of you (streets ahead) that you can't see him. Wait, thats not right.

He is so high up in the sky, on a another level or plane, that you can't see him. Hmmn, not right either.

He is so small and insignficant that you will need a high powered microscope to see him. Close but that's not it.

He still hasn't grasped the concept of peek-a-boo yet. He still beleives that if he can't see you, you can't see him. Hence the waving of the hand in the face.

Wait, Snooki is going to be at Wrestlemania?

Yikes. I've tried a small handful of times to get back into wrestling ever since I stopped watching right around '99 or so. It's just not good anymore.

G-Fex

A lot of people compare the loooooong era of cena to hogan but I doubt hogan was this tiring. Remember the "same old shit" posters they'd post here? Good times

Entropia

No One Remembers
Grifter said:

You didn't hear about the murder/suicide? :\

He killed his son, then his wife and then hanged himself.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Grifter said:
At the very least Rock is going to be on Raw next week. There is talk of him being around until June, when he's scheduled to start another movie, and word of a possible Summerslam or even Wrestlemania XXVIII Cena vs. Rock match.

So maybe not back FULL full time, per se, but back for a little while and expected to be in an actual match at some point.

Verendus

Banned
He's apparently the best they could do after The Rock and Stone Cold left. I watched wrestling for the first time in half a decade last night because I heard The Rock was back. I spent a little time today getting caught up to things to understand what was going on and I'm regretting wasting my time already. It's embarrassing, it really is. I couldn't even sit through the stuff I was trying to watch.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MisterHero said:
I just realized the image implies that he defeated John Cena to retain the John Cena Championship title
Kind of, but not really since we all know they make them lose titles by being screwed over and what not by contract gimmicks or outside interference.

Cena is a decent worker in the ring and has great mic skills.

Creative (mainly Vince) has nerfed his character.

Seems like a cool dood irl.

Kam said:
I watched wrestling for the first time in half a decade last night because I heard The Rock was back. I spent a little time today getting caught up to things to understand what was going on and I'm regretting wasting my time already. It's embarrassing, it really is. I couldn't even sit through the stuff I was trying to watch.

Which is exactly why more wrestling fans should be checking out the alternatives;

All Japan Pro Wrestling
Big Japan Pro Wrestling
CHIKARA Pro Wrestling
DDT Pro Wrestling
Dragon Gate
Dragon Gate USA
EVOLVE Wrestling
New Japan Pro Wrestling
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
Pro Wrestling NOAH
Ring of Honor
wXw Wrestling
ZERO1 Wrestling

...to name just a few. If every disgruntled WWE fan actually checked out the competition, well then there actually might be some competition, which in turn might actually force WWE to make a change for the better.

G-Fex

Kam said:
He's apparently the best they could do after The Rock and Stone Cold left. I watched wrestling for the first time in half a decade last night because I heard The Rock was back. I spent a little time today getting caught up to things to understand what was going on and I'm regretting wasting my time already. It's embarrassing, it really is. I couldn't even sit through the stuff I was trying to watch.

Well for a while it seemed lesnar was the new guy but he left. I guess he wouldntt have lasted long anyway cause he had no shtick

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
will52 said:
Fake wrestling is for retards.
Man, it's been years since I've done one of these. feelsgoodman.jpg

see5harp said:
Is Wrestlemania better than Deadwood Season 2? If so I kinda feel stupid for ignoring it for so long.
this sentence hurts my head

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Bish layed the smackdown.

I havent watched Wrasslin in a year, who is the biggest baby face right now?

Verendus

Banned
G-Fex said:
Well for a while it seemed lesnar was the new guy but he left. I guess he wouldntt have lasted long anyway cause he had no shtick
When I stopped watching wrestling, it seemed like Batista was the new guy. I remember the fans worshipping him. I won't lie, I was a fan too. I started watching again because of him and Eddie Guerrero. I guess Cena took the position at some point. Looking at how things are though, I'm glad I stopped when I did.

FOOTE

Brandon F said:
"U don't C me!" What the fuck does that mean anyway?

Got coffee at 7-eleven this morning and my paper cup has that shit all over it.
If it's like last year, the proceeds from buying that cup goes to the Make a Wish foundation which Cena is a huge part of. They receive a lot of wishes from kids to meet him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom