• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain John Cena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It means there's no replacement for The Rock.

Also, what's with him waving his hand in front of his face? Does he think he evades my sight by doing that? Like an infant? Someone should tell this man we can clearly see him, and that he is suffering from a severe delusional episode.

Brandon F said:
"U don't C me!" What the fuck does that mean anyway?
I means "I'm so fast you won't see my attack coming."

Or some bullshit like that.

Cena sucks, but I suppose it's a reflection of WWE sucking in general nowadays.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Explanation?

He's basically this generation's Hulk Hogan or The Rock. They're all mostly the same schtick.

But because internet wrestling fans didn't grow up with him and have warm childhood memories of watching HIS stale catchphrases in their jammies, they hate him.

Ceno was justified when I seen that youtube video when Stone Cold stunned his ass. Ceno was doing that you can't see me crap in front of him.

Van Owen

Banned
SouSouRocket said:
I dunno, the whole thing is pretty goofy. Hasn't (WWE) wrestling at its core always been ridiculous man-soap operas and guys with strange gimmicks? Half-naked musclemen pulling ridiculous faces and doing choreographed fights/acrobatics doesn't seem silly to begin with? ;P
Yeah but at least guys like The Rock were funny and talked about eating pussy. The new G rated WWE sounds awful.

I've started watching WWE again because of the return of The Rock. You can tell why wrestling is losing fans when you compare The Miz and John Cena to The Rock and Stone Cold.

ryan-ts

Princess Skittles said:
Explanation?

He's basically this generation's Hulk Hogan or The Rock. They're all mostly the same schtick.

But because internet wrestling fans didn't grow up with him and have warm childhood memories of watching HIS stale catchphrases in their jammies, they hate him.

Okay, let me ask you this. Who was your favourite wrestler growing up?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Cena was great post-Ruthless Aggression, pre-face when he was rapping and smacktalking everybody on the roster as a heel.

MisterHero

Princess Skittles said:
Explanation?

Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant was the real shit man

the best Cena could do was Big Show

I don't hate the guy but the WWE roster itself has seen much better days

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Topher said:
Also, what's with him waving his hand in front of his face? Does he think he evades my sight by doing that? Like an infant? Someone should tell this man we can clearly see him, and that he is suffering from a severe delusional episode.
What's with Hulk Hogan waving his hands like someone with parkinson's disease at his ear? Does he think he hears his fans around the world by doing that?

bishoptl said:
Cena was great post-Ruthless Aggression, pre-face when he was rapping and smacktalking everybody on the roster as a heel.
And his moves were called the FU and the STFU. Yes, it was a better time indeed.

John Cena started out as a rookie mid-card then on a Halloween episode he was dressed up like Vanilla Ice and made 80s rhymes and all of the sudden he became a comic relief

then they stuck the rap personality on him and he was in the ''funny'' heel category as a mid-carder

then the rest is history and he became boring again

Anth0ny

Princess Skittles said:
Explanation?

Oh look, it's this guy.

The guy who actually thinks today's PG wrestling is on par with the attitude era. ahaahahahaha

He's a homeless power ranger. That's what he is. And apparently he eats fruity pebbles and he's also Barney. I whole-heartedly believe anything/everything The Rock says about Cena.

MrPliskin

Banned
invisible-man.jpg

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I met Cena in person and he was a pretty nice dude, respectful of other wrestlers and he had a reverence for his profession. The guy's pretty in-tune with what's going on.

I don't hate him, but I can see why he doesn't have the over 13 years old market.

I think they are setting him up for a huge heel turn at WM. He goes after the rock, instantly gets heat, lots of words said on RAW after WM and...turn complete.

Edit: I don't like John Cena exactly... but I love his theme song.

Princess Skittles said:
Explanation?

Hulk Hogan was remarkable because he was the first international wrestling superstar.

The Rock was remarkable because he cut a promo like no one else and, along with Stone Cold's "I don't give a damn" personality, helped bury the pitiful early-to-mid '90s gimmick-ridden WWF.

John Cena is remarkable because... he raps?

lunarworks said:
Hulk Hogan was remarkable because he was the first international wrestling superstar.

The Rock was remarkable because he cut a promo like no one else and, along with Stone Cold's "I don't give a damn" personality, helped bury the pitiful early-to-mid '90s gimmick-ridden WWF.

John Cena is remarkable because... he raps?

Because he overcomes the odds! actually I think that is his angle, "never give up" and all that jazz

Entropia

No One Remembers
Gary Whitta said:
I watched a bit of WWE Raw last night because I heard The Rock was back and I don't get Cena's appeal at all. Is he supposed to be a bad guy? He sucker-punched The People's Champion!

While I'm at it... The Miz? What the fuck is THAT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gqsJ3Fz1k

Yeah, it's kinda stupid.

Sadly, there's no more real characters in the WWE nowadays aside from like The Undertaker. Everyone on the roster minus a few (Edge, Christian) use full, proper names. It's not as fun and they all come across as super generic, their theme songs which all sound the same don't help either.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
John Cena isn't really remarkable as much as he is just a really loyal(to both company and fans) and hard working guy. He also has fulfilled a ton of make a wish request.

He's the WWE's top face and sells the most merchandise also, so that's why he's on your cup.

Lord_Nergal said:
I've never understood wrestling.

What's not to get? It's one part soap opera, one part performance art. The characters and storylines, when used correctly, enhance the in-ring action that, although choreographed and planned, can be highly entertaining and a well-worked match given a proper build up and played out by compelling, well developed characters can suspend the disbelief of the viewer and make you forget, but for a short while, that you're watching an orchestrated wrestling match. It's like watching a kung fu movie, you know it's fake, but that doesn't mean it's any less awesome and like in wrestling the story and characters are there, but only as an aide to the fights, which is something modern WWE seems to forget - but there's a whole world of wrestling outside of WWE, which I'm eternally grateful for, otherwise I'd have quit being a wrestling fan years ago.

Princess Skittles said:

That's a load of crap - Cena was popular with the internet wrestling fans before he became a main eventer and took the top spot on the card for almost every PPV over the past few years. People are sick of having him shoved down their throats. The 5 Moves of Doom archetype that Hogan played in the early 90's is the same thing, and the equivalent of internet wrestling fans back then turned on him too, just like they have done with John Cena. Hogan was actually a great worker in his prime during the 80's, or whenever he wrestled in Japan, but it just wasn't the Hogan that WWF presented in that 90's, and it's the same thing with John Cena today. WWE have no interest in making Cena anything other than the corny, 5 moves of Doom superman who almost always can't be beat.

krae_man

Rafa=FedKilla said:
The appeal of cena is that he is a marine and a gangster.

He hasn't been a gangster since The Marine came out. Right now he's just a purple guy who salutes for no reason.

Brandon F said:
"U don't C me!" What the fuck does that mean anyway?

Got coffee at 7-eleven this morning and my paper cup has that shit all over it.

U don't C me hand wave comes from Tony Yayo the rapper in G unit. He was doing it in 50 cent Video "in the da club" back in 2003. That's where John Cena got it from, he came out in 2005 doing that ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qm8PH4xAss

go to the 3:51 point of the video and you will see him doing it.

gutter_trash said:
John Cena started out as a rookie mid-card then on a Halloween episode he was dressed up like Vanilla Ice and made 80s rhymes and all of the sudden he became a comic relief

then they stuck the rap personality on him and he was in the ''funny'' heel category as a mid-carder

then the rest is history and he became boring again
Plenty of wrestlers are more enjoyable in mid-card status. I thought Edge was great until they turned him into the "Rated R Superstar".

Even letting certain wrestlers cut promos just ruins their presence.

(Haven't really watched WWE in probably 8 years or so.)

I'll give Cena this: He's better than Triple H.

Triple H is what you get when someone with mediocre talent starts dating the boss' daughter and eventually marries her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom