• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain John Cena?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Albertson said:
I know the 'smark' thing to do is hate on Cena and being a 'smark' I should but I just can't.

The guy seems like a genuine nice guy and a huge wrestling fan who just so happened to make it to the top of the WWE. Works his ass off for the company and put's people over.

Sure he can be corny and there is far better in the ring but you have to have some respect for Cena.

Plus everything he said about the Rock is spot on

Yeah, I'm about as jaded a "smart mark" as anyone can be -- I don't like the way he works in-ring, and on the mike, I find him just above average, but not my cup of tea -- but I'm still not going to talk shit about Cena:

-He draws money. Shitloads of money. That's what pro wrestlers are ultimately judged by. Who else could carry the WWE as a face these last few years like Cena? I'm not a Cena fan, but I honestly have no idea. None of the guys I like better could have done the job Cena has, regardless of what kind of push or gimmick they were given.

-He's one of the most polarizing guys I've ever seen in all the decades I've been watching wrestling, and he's handled it incredibly well.

-He's not a locker room cancer, according to everything I've heard.

-He's always in shape. He's seldom injured.

-He's not in the papers bombed out on drugs or getting DWIs.

-He does good charity work, and never makes the company look bad.

-He's strong as a fucking ox. And he has had his "HOLY SHIT!" moments:

2re1502.gif

JdFoX187

Banned
I don't hate Cena as much as a lot of smarks. My main complaints are his general lack of anything exhibiting wrestling ability. But I've seen him wrestle real quality matches, so I know he has it in him. It's mainly to do with WWE booking him as overcoming the odds -- getting beat down for minutes on end before pulling out his five moves of doom and then slapping on a shitty looking STF and making the guy tap before the move is even applied.

Everything else about him is cool though. I hear he's a straight up nice guy and is well respected in the company and in public. The man can't act for shit, and he's no Rock, but I don't see the overall hate he gets as a person. I think a lot of people are confusing him for the booking.

alstein

JdFoX187 said:
I don't hate Cena as much as a lot of smarks. My main complaints are his general lack of anything exhibiting wrestling ability. But I've seen him wrestle real quality matches, so I know he has it in him. It's mainly to do with WWE booking him as overcoming the odds -- getting beat down for minutes on end before pulling out his five moves of doom and then slapping on a shitty looking STF and making the guy tap before the move is even applied.

Everything else about him is cool though. I hear he's a straight up nice guy and is well respected in the company and in public. The man can't act for shit, and he's no Rock, but I don't see the overall hate he gets as a person. I think a lot of people are confusing him for the booking.

There's more to wrestling ability then doing head drops or dives outside the ring. Cena's moveset is a bit limited, but so was Ric Flair's. It's what you do, not how much you do. This is why Dean Malenko isn't the greatest wrestler of all time (though he was great and NOT knocking him).

Cena's promos can be pretty good when WWE lets him be real.

DungeonO

alstein said:
There's more to wrestling ability then doing head drops or dives outside the ring. Cena's moveset is a bit limited, but so was Ric Flair's. It's what you do, not how much you do. This is why Dean Malenko isn't the greatest wrestler of all time (though he was great and NOT knocking him).

Cena's promos can be pretty good when WWE lets him be real.

Exactly, it's more about the story telling than fancy moves. The problem is, Cena is too predictable and routine. That's not all his fault. He doesn't have the best supporting cast, either. Put Cena against a Razor Ramon or a Roddy Piper or someone else who knows how to put someone over, and he'll look great. Wrestling is a two man show.

Jay Sosa

Princess Skittles said:
Explanation?

He's basically this generation's Hulk Hogan or The Rock. They're all mostly the same schtick.

But because internet wrestling fans didn't grow up with him and have warm childhood memories of watching HIS stale catchphrases in their jammies, they hate him.

rofl soooo true. I'm still mad that they change his gimmick though, he was way more fun as wack rapper.

Striker

Jay Sosa said:
rofl soooo true. I'm still mad that they change his gimmick though, he was way more fun as wack rapper.
He can't tell people to suck his nuts. No gay jokes.

What would he rap about now?

DungeonO said:
Exactly, it's more about the story telling than fancy moves. The problem is, Cena is too predictable and routine. That's not all his fault. He doesn't have the best supporting cast, either. Put Cena against a Razor Ramon or a Roddy Piper or someone else who knows how to put someone over, and he'll look great. Wrestling is a two man show.

Oh man, Piper could get so much out of his near non-existent wrestling skills. Piper/Hart at WM8 might be the most entertaining match I've ever seen

Juicy Bob

John Cena the character is just too forced and the way they book him to win absolutely everything all the time borders on the ridiculous.

John Cena the man is actually a really decent, hard working, industry loving guy who genuinely cares for the fans probably more than any other long-term main eventer has even done.

Scrow said:
cena is a videogame nerd, so he's ok in my books.
I distinctly remember him doing a punch-out inspired promo a few years back. And of course the NES style shirt that he wore for a bit.
Also 1-up mushroom wristbands at WM20.

Has there ever been a Deadpool-like "meta" wrestling character? That kind of blatancy could actually be funny in such a ridiculous industry.

Dead Man

I don't hate Cena, but I do hate the WWE love fest for him, and his squashes, and the marketing and pushes he gets that others don't.

Punchy4486 said:
Has there ever been a Deadpool-like "meta" wrestling character? That kind of blatancy could actually be funny in such a ridiculous industry.

I don't think I've ever seen a wrestler who shows that he knows he's in a pre-determined wrestling match, although that could be pretty fun. However, there's a couple of Japanese comedy wrestlers, Kuishinbo Kamen & Kikutaro, who work matches that poke fun at the inherent silliness of common spots that you often see in a wrestling match;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7plD5JeRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kxby6MxLU

Then there's the DDT promotion in Japan, which is just wacky and has a hardcore title that's been won by a 6 year old girl, a referee's dog and at one point, a ladder, lol.

They also have an invisible wrestler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVM-qFeLPdw

And a blow-up doll named YOSHIHIKO that wrestles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3sp6mF8hg

Bootaaay said:
I don't think I've ever seen a wrestler that knows he's in a wrestling match, although that could be pretty fun. However, there's a couple of Japanese comedy wrestlers, Kuishinbo Kamen & Kikutaro, who work matches that poke fun at the inherent silliness of common spots that you often see in a wrestling match;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7plD5JeRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kxby6MxLU

Then there's the DDT promotion in Japan, which is just wacky and has a hardcore title that's been won by a 6 year old girl, a referee's dog and at one point, a ladder, lol.

They also have an invisible wrestler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVM-qFeLPdw

And a blow-up doll named YOSHIHIKO that wrestles - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3sp6mF8hg

I don't watch wrestling, but it'd be awesome if there was a "crazy" wrestler who would talk about the shitty plot twist or hiring new writers or making fun of a wrestler's hiatus for a film career or something.

alstein

Punchy4486 said:
I don't watch wrestling, but it'd be awesome if there was a "crazy" wrestler who would talk about the shitty plot twist or hiring new writers or making fun of a wrestler's hiatus for a film career or something.

Just watch TNA now, or watch late 90's WCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom