• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain John Cena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloveSlap

I have been on a wrestling kick after watching the Chris Jericho and Rise and Fall of WCW videos on Netflix streaming. I loved those videos so much that i decided to check out some current RAW. No words can describe how bad it is now. I thought i had just outgrown wrestling but i think it just got really bad.

Everyone should check out those Netflix videos. Jericho was always my favorite and his early WCW/WWF stuff they show is amazing. The WCW video is great for anyone that loved WCW in the late 90s.

I know the 'smark' thing to do is hate on Cena and being a 'smark' I should but I just can't.

The guy seems like a genuine nice guy and a huge wrestling fan who just so happened to make it to the top of the WWE. Works his ass off for the company and put's people over.

Sure he can be corny and there is far better in the ring but you have to have some respect for Cena.

Plus everything he said about the Rock is spot on

He was pretty fun back when he was a rapping heel, that was a great gimmick. Then I stopped watching for a while, and when I came back, he was a completely different character, an infinitely less entertaining good guy. And I don't even understand the character... it's like he still has this hip-hop style, but he doesn't rap at all.

Jeff Albertson said:
I know the 'smark' thing to do is hate on Cena and being a 'smark' I should but I just can't.

The guy seems like a genuine nice guy and a huge wrestling fan who just so happened to make it to the top of the WWE. Works his ass off for the company and put's people over.

Sure he can be corny and there is far better in the ring but you have to have some respect for Cena.

He does seem like a cool guy out of the ring from what I've seen, but he's soooo boring to watch. Probably not his fault though, he used to be entertaining. Blame Vince, he found something that made money, though I can not understand why. I bet he even has wrestling skills that he's not allowed to use for some stupid reason, like Hogan did.

Xater

revolverjgw said:
He was pretty fun back when he was a rapping heel, that was a great gimmick. Then I stopped watching for a while, and when I came back, he was a completely different character, an infinitely less entertaining good guy. And I don't even understand the character... it's like he still has this hip-hop style, but he doesn't rap at all.

He is also a marine or something and because he can't compete with Rock's promos he can rap again.

He really doesn't have a good gimmick anymore.

bishoptl said:
Man, it's been years since I've done one of these. feelsgoodman.jpg

MFUF2.gif

cheers for the excuse to post this XD

notworksafe

Gary Whitta said:
In other news... Snooki is in a tag-team match at WrestleMania? Yeah, nothing desperate about that.
Celebs of various levels have always been involved in Wrestlemania in some way. If you care enough, there is a doc about the history of Wrestlemania on Netflix streaming right now. It's pretty neat actually...if a bit long (2 hours+). Just do a search for "wwe" and it'll come up.

Gary Whitta said:
I watched a bit of WWE Raw last night because I heard The Rock was back and I don't get Cena's appeal at all. Is he supposed to be a bad guy? He sucker-punched The People's Champion!

While I'm at it... The Miz? What the fuck is THAT?

The Wiz?

thewiz.jpg

Fixed1979 said:
Just read a TMZ article about Cena today. Everyone who ragged on that celeb. chef for bailing on the MaW kid should appreciate this. Anyone who's willing to do this can't be such a bad guy.

Cena seems like a decent guy but the gimmick has to go.

GloveSlap said:
I have been on a wrestling kick after watching the Chris Jericho and Rise and Fall of WCW videos on Netflix streaming. I loved those videos so much that i decided to check out some current RAW. No words can describe how bad it is now. I thought i had just outgrown wrestling but i think it just got really bad.

Everyone should check out those Netflix videos. Jericho was always my favorite and his early WCW/WWF stuff they show is amazing. The WCW video is great for anyone that loved WCW in the late 90s.

I actually just watched The Rise and Fall of WCW last week on Netflix and found it a pretty fun watch. I grew up watching wrestling, but I was completely obsessed with it thanks to the nWo angle for the first few years. That to me was the coolest wrestling has ever been. I never really liked Attitude era WWF, but I really enjoyed it before that.

Anyways, the doc was pretty good. I was actually shocked that they spoke about how when WWE purchased WCW it basically made wrestling suck because of the lack of major competition. Seemed shocking considering it was a WWE made doc.

G-Fex

Wrestling is still kinda entertaining to watch, hopefully now more so since maybe by some chance John Cena won't be the main attraction anymore.

And TNA was cooler with the 8 sided ring.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Hard for me to hate on Cena specifically. Though he can't match the natural charm and charisma that The Rock has, he's a pretty good wrestler and outside the ring he seems like a pretty chill dude in general. It's the situations the company put him in that makes me want to turn the channel whenever he's on.

Ceres

Banned
(._.) said:
i hope undertaker does an over the top rope running spot at wm and hhh brings out a sledge hammer

I can't wait till Triple H ends Undertaker's streak and then John Cena stfu's Rock.

alstein

Jeff Albertson said:

He's also a very good pro wrestler- who doesn't really have great talent to work with.

No, he's not the best guy in-ring in the company, but he's top 10.

The reason people hate him is a combination of his cornball character and the fact he always wins, and no one likes an overdog. Same thing that happened to Hogan.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Zwei said:
Is there an equivalent to Mankind in today's WWE?

There's A guy that just had a total disregard for his body. I loved watching that dude, too.

Closest person to Mankind on the current roster is John Morrison. The guy has done some crazy shit and gets almost nothing for it.
Give him a title shot. PLEASE. (No, that bullshit title match before RR doesn't count.)

(._.)

Banned
Ceres said:
I can't wait till Triple H ends Undertaker's streak and then John Cena stfu's Rock.
HHH beating Undertaker would be garbage but it is the only thing that really would make anybody remember this WM years from now.

lupinko

Gary Whitta said:
I watched a bit of WWE Raw last night because I heard The Rock was back and I don't get Cena's appeal at all. Is he supposed to be a bad guy? He sucker-punched The People's Champion!

While I'm at it... The Miz? What the fuck is THAT?

Heel to grown men, babyface to women and children.

The Frankman said:
A thread dedicated top explaining John Cena...

I am literally dying on the ground laughing as I post this.

Yo. If I weren't a Junior, we would have a thread dedicated to Scott Steiner.

scottsteiner.jpg

Scott Steiner Math Lesson

Scott Steiner: "You know, they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe, and you can see that statement is not true! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another wrestler, you got a 50-50 chance of winnin'. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal, so you got a 25% at best at beatin' me! And then you add Kurt Angle to the mix? Your chances of winnin' drasticy go down. See the three-way, at Sacrifice, you got a 33 1/3 chance of wiinnin'. But I, I got a 66 2/3 chance of winning, cause Kurt Angle KNOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try! So, Samoa Joe, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25 percent chance, and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winnin' at Sacrifice! But then you take my 75 perchance chance at winnin', if we was to go one-on-one, and to add 66 2/3 ch… percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winnin at Sacrifice! See, McJoe; the numbers don't like, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice! See- but I'm gonna break it down for all you ladies." (turns to Lauren) "Would you rather be with me, or would you rather be with Joe?"

Lauren: "Well, I think Joe's kinda nice, I mean, you know?"

Steiner: "See, you're one o' those girls that like romance. I'm-a talk to all my freaks out there. Would you rather come home to me, a genetic freak, to be satisfied every night, or go home to that fatass Samoa Joe!? See, tonight, we're gonna win, and I'm gonna be the World Champion at Sacrifice! Come on, Petey! Let's go!"

G-Fex

when I started watching TNA a few years ago it was great. It was awesome too cause it seemed everybody got these plastic trenchcoats. That's when Jeff Jarett was champ and heel. I really liked him on TNA, he's still there right?

DKehoe

G-Fex said:
when I started watching TNA a few years ago it was great. It was awesome too cause it seemed everybody got these plastic trenchcoats. That's when Jeff Jarett was champ and heel. I really liked him on TNA, he's still there right?
Yeh, Kurt Angle's wife left him for Jeff and they got married (in real life). So since its pro wrestling they are now doing a storyline based around this.

Yeh, Kurt Angle's wife left him for Jeff and they got married (in real life). So since its pro wrestling they are now doing a storyline based around this.
Also Kurt Angle is a werewolf or something.

*reads Steiner comment*

... see that's the infusion of new blood we need in the Wrasslin' thread. RUTHLESS AGGRESSION. The willingness to post on any awesome thing.

I'm sorry to derail for a second people, but WHO BETTER THAN KANYON?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCK0DXwkZU

UberTag

El_TigroX said:
I met Cena in person and he was a pretty nice dude, respectful of other wrestlers and he had a reverence for his profession. The guy's pretty in-tune with what's going on.

I don't hate him, but I can see why he doesn't have the over 13 years old market.

I think they are setting him up for a huge heel turn at WM. He goes after the rock, instantly gets heat, lots of words said on RAW after WM and...turn complete.

Edit: I don't like John Cena exactly... but I love his theme song.
Cena "the guy" is first-rate. I'd be hard-pressed to think of anyone else who has given as much of themselves to wrestling, Make A Wish and his fans as him.

Cena "the wrestling persona" SUCKS and needs to be taken off TV. I have booed him without remorse since his days feuding with Edge and will continue to do so until his character gains some shred of credibility.

Azuran

Banned
He's the best wrestler in the business. AE fans just can't get over the fact that their heroes left. It's not 2001 anymore you guys. It's time to move on.

Browns Town said:
He's 100% right. I can't see him because I can't watch that garbage.

I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think you can enter a thread where people are discussing something they like and then talk shit.

To answer the OP's question if it hasn't been answered already, I think it comes from a poker term. When someone wants to equal a bet they "see" that bet, or they "raise". By saying "you can't see me" Cena is implying nobody can equal him. It's also a term that's used by rappers.

lightless_shado said:
I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think you can enter a thread where people are discussing something they like and then talk shit.

To answer the OP's question if it hasn't been answered already, I think it comes from a poker term. When someone wants to equal a bet they "see" that bet, or they "raise". By saying "you can't see me" Cena is implying nobody can equal him. It's also a term that's used by rappers.

Per urban dictionary:

Another way of saying that you are untouchable and put everybody else to shame. Basically means you are unstoppable because if a person or thing can't see you they can't catch and/or attack you. Even though you are entirely visible it is a way of telling somebody that they can't fuck with you and they are not on your level.

Person 1: "WTF! You beat me a Halo again!?"

Person 2: "Damn straight biatch..."You can't see me!"

G-Fex

The Miz is better for that one avatar gif alone.

Plus John Cena is such a BORING action hero. Nothing outside some of the badguys were memorable about The Marine. I don't even want to get into how bad 12 rounds was.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
lunarworks said:
I'll give Cena this: He's better than Triple H.

Triple H is what you get when someone with mediocre talent starts dating the boss' daughter and eventually marries her.
lol @ mediocre talent

HHH up until his first quad injury was a top tier talent.

I started to tune out around the time Cena came around, but he was one hell of a heel though. WWE had to ruin that heat, of course.

My friends and I would do the "U can't C me!" taunt for lulz whenever someone brought up wrestling, usually in theaters when Cena's movie trailers played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom