• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best eInk e-reader right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumpokapow said:
Mine is still in transit from the US.

Got a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate.

First two purchases:
- Dune (own a paperback copy, but figured it was as good a place as any to start)
- Team of Rivals
$29.80 left!

Get that The Lost City of Z book, it's pretty good so far. Hell don't forget to check out the Google Book store, stripping the ePub DRM was really easy and then using (as you know) Calibre is simple.

The iBooks store is still uncracked...which annoys me to no end as there is one Book only they seem to have (Bigfoot and such) that NO OTHER STORE SEEMS TO HAVE!!!

Of course I never had the common sense to just try and look at ones not Amazon or Google, but I always figure the overlap is enough...hmm maybe I should just look.

Ptaaty

Nook - refurb. $80, has 1 yr warranty.

Best deal out there. Supports epub, looks nice, updates have made it speedy.

Kindle 3, the better thing if you are buying new or are in their ecosystem (ie buy amazon ebooks). Better contrast, lighter, longer battery life. I think nook contrast is plenty good, light enough, battery is plenty long enough.

So in a vacuum, you have no ebooks already, you are buying new....Kindle 3 no question. If you have epubs or don't mind a refurb, the Nook is a pretty damn compelling option.

Ptaaty said:

Kindle 3, the better thing if you are buying new or are in their ecosystem (ie buy amazon ebooks). Better contrast, lighter, longer battery life. I think nook contrast is plenty good, light enough, battery is plenty long enough.

So in a vacuum, you have no ebooks already, you are buying new....Kindle 3 no question. If you have epubs or don't mind a refurb, the Nook is a pretty damn compelling option.

What about the fact you can strip ePubs really easily?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
PjotrStroganov said:
Amazon has a nice selection of third party covers. I think I'll be going for the middle one.

There are some amazing third party covers.
I've ordered this one from Oberon design.
9386.jpg

Mobileread.com has a thread with a lot of them on display.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112944

Some cool ones
Front Cover.jpg
Inside Cover.jpg

Very cool homemade X-men Hardcover design.

AK3-NY1-GL-GRP-X--fanout-med.jpg
AK3-NY1-GL-GB-X--detail06-med.jpg

Nice M-edge ones
g2QSp.jpg
PLLYV.jpg

Real cool authentic book design by Portenzo.

bloodydrake said:
Nice covers.

Oh don't remind me. I took a hard and long look at the oberon covers but decided that they were just to expensive for me. I also like an enclosed cover and it seems oberon doesn't make these. They are fabulous looking covers though.

PjotrStroganov said:
Oh don't remind me. I took a hard and long look at the oberon covers but decided that they were just to expensive for me. I also like an enclosed cover and it seems oberon doesn't make these. They are fabulous looking covers though.

This is why I let my wife find one. I said what about the default 60 dollar ones she said that's too much and I said okay find me one. She found me this prime shipped 12 buck one that looks and is reviewed well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A7ZEI2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ptaaty

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
What about the fact you can strip ePubs really easily?

you mean convert? I prefer native support over additional steps, but yes most digital format can't be converted these days audio/video/ebook.

the main reason I'd choose the refurb nook (just did in fact) was that the Kindle 3 is 75% more expensive (wifi only models). What I see as some minor advantages along with a few minor disadvantages compared with Kindle 3.

I just ordered one of those refurbed Nooks as well.

Kindles look pretty great too, but I've never used an e-reader before so I'm treating the Nook as my entry-level option until I get a better feel for how I'm going to be using the thing.

Anyone have recommendations for good free e-book sources?

rohlfinator said:
I just ordered one of those refurbed Nooks as well.

Kindles look pretty great too, but I've never used an e-reader before so I'm treating the Nook as my entry-level option until I get a better feel for how I'm going to be using the thing.

Anyone have recommendations for good free e-book sources?
http://www.manybooks.net/

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
This is why I let my wife find one. I said what about the default 60 dollar ones she said that's too much and I said okay find me one. She found me this prime shipped 12 buck one that looks and is reviewed well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A7ZEI2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That doesn't have a light though right? The default amazon one without a light is $30. The lighted one is $60.

Do kindle and the refurb nook have same screen or is amazon better contrast?

Ptaaty said:
you mean convert? I prefer native support over additional steps, but yes most digital format can't be converted these days audio/video/ebook.
I understand, but the extra steps were really simple (I will say it took a while to first figure it out), and akin to unzipping a file type of easy. I was pretty impressed with the job it did in maintaining the structure of the book and all the TOC and such. Besides the only locked down one still is the iBooks store.

Ptaaty said:
the main reason I'd choose the refurb nook (just did in fact) was that the Kindle 3 is 75% more expensive (wifi only models). What I see as some minor advantages along with a few minor disadvantages compared with Kindle 3.
That's a fair enough reasoning. I think to an extent when the price is that cheap it's more personal preference I guess and if you don't mind getting a non-new unit and the contrast difference.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That doesn't have a light though right? The default amazon one without a light is $30. The lighted one is $60.

Do kindle and the refurb nook have same screen or is amazon better contrast?

I though the other one was 40 bucks, regardless my wife still said that was too much. I can't complain she did let me get the reader after all. lol Kindle has better contrast and refresh rate.

szaromir

Banned
I absolutely love my Kindle and I'm going to buy next generation Kindle DX. Regular Kindle is OK for reading literature, but fails for reading textbooks and b&w comics. With larger screen, both issues should be resolved.

And free 3G was godsent when I was in Germany and Czech recently.

border

Question for eReader aficionados:

I like to highlight almost everything I read. Is there a reader that makes this as easy as having a proper book? I really don't want to highlight using some obnoxious cursor interface, but if there's a reader with a good implementation I'd like to hear about it.

How are eInk readers in low-light? Can you turn up brightness or turn on a backlight or something? Could you read in the dark?

My interest in both highlighting and reading in low-light situations makes me think I'd be better off with an LCD reader, but I haven't looked into eInk at all.

Burger

Are 3rd party cover makers not allowed to use the hinge clips like the Amazon ones?

Because most of those covers look mental. 4 corner elastic bands? Please. Get the Amazon cover, with or without a light, it's the only sane choice.

szaromir

Banned
border said:

I like to highlight almost everything I read. Is there a reader that makes this as easy as having a proper book? I really don't want to highlight using some obnoxious cursor interface, but if there's a reader with a good implementation I'd like to hear about it.

How are eInk readers in low-light? Can you turn up brightness or turn on a backlight or something? Could you read in the dark?

My interest in both highlighting and reading in low-light situations makes me think I'd be better off with an LCD reader, but I haven't looked into eInk at all.
Highlighting is cursor based, but it's extremely easy and convenient. As for reading in lowlight condition, you always have to have an eternal light source (that's the point of eInk anyway). However, some covers have built-in flashlights that make a good job of lighting up the screen.

border said:

It's just like a book, you need a light to read in the dark. If you get something like the amazon case with light it's fine. How else could it highlight than with a cursor? It's not bad to highlight at all though. Have you ever tried it?

border

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How else could it highlight than with a cursor?

With a touch screen.

Haven't tried Kindle/Nook highlighting, I just don't imagine it being any good. With an actual book and highlighter it's just a swipe of your hand. Having to guide a cursor down to the middle of a page.....then to the middle of a sentence.....then drag it all the way to the end of the sentence (as you do when selecting text on a PC).....that sounds very unappealing but maybe there's a good implementation I haven't heard about.

I don't know if the touchscreen eInk readers are any good either. The only one I've heard about in this thread is by Sony, but it doesn't have half the bells and whistles of cheaper stuff (no wifi or 3g).

border said:
With a touch screen.

Haven't tried Kindle/Nook highlighting, I just don't imagine it being any good. With an actual book and highlighter it's just a swipe of your hand. Having to guide a cursor down to the middle of a page.....then to the middle of a sentence.....then drag it all the way to the end of the sentence (as you do when selecting text on a PC).....that sounds very unappealing but maybe there's a good implementation I haven't heard about.

I don't know if the touchscreen eInk readers are any good either. The only one I've heard about in this thread is by Sony, but it doesn't have half the bells and whistles of cheaper stuff (no wifi or 3g).

You should look into the Nook Color. It's ~125.00 more than a Kindle, but it seems more suited to your needs. Plus, you can jailbreak it (or whatever its called) and use it as an android tablet. The highlight function is as simple as holding the first word you want highlighted, and a little menu pops up.

Here is the Engadget review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDG4-A7RZSg

You couldn't pry my Kindle 3 from my cold dead fingers, but it can't be all things to all people. (idiom in the house!)

border said:
With a touch screen.

Sony is the only one with an eink touchscreen right? Seems you want a tablet since you're asking for things that aren't in an eink reader.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Burger said:
Are 3rd party cover makers not allowed to use the hinge clips like the Amazon ones?

Because most of those covers look mental. 4 corner elastic bands? Please. Get the Amazon cover, with or without a light, it's the only sane choice.

Well i've read there are quite a few problems with the official metal clip system. They range from cracks in the case , to causing the Kindle to randomly reboot due to shorting..

Most 3 corners are leather straps and one cloth elastic in the right corner...if they can shake it upside down without it coming loose i don't see the problem.
I personally love the aesthetics of the 3rd party custom ones myself.

Burger

bloodydrake said:
Well i've read there are quite a few problems with the official metal clip system. They range from cracks in the case , to causing the Kindle to randomly reboot due to shorting..

Most 3 corners are leather straps and one cloth elastic in the right corner...if they can shake it upside down without it coming loose i don't see the problem.
I personally love the aesthetics of the 3rd party custom ones myself.

You would only read about problems though. Nobody is going out of their way to shout about how it's been 'ok'.

I think we must have different views on what aesthetics are then. I prefer designs where the function is essentially invisible, leaving only the form. I honestly can't imagine anyone saying that corner loops are aesthetically pleasing.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Burger said:
I think we must have different views on what aesthetics are then. I prefer designs where the function is essentially invisible, leaving only the form. I honestly can't imagine anyone saying that corner loops are aesthetically pleasing.

I ment the overall aesthetics. The straps aren't my favorite, but the overall package wins me over.
I watched this video of the Oberon Design one and they sold me on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/OberonDesigns#p/a/u/0/IWSXk54PFxw

I love that its made to order, I love that the outer leather is Bull Hide that is single piece that's thick and won't crack or peel or fall apart over time but will get more supple and beautiful as it ages like fine leather should . Its also surprisingly not very bulky which the cheaper vinyl ones are.

Burger

bloodydrake said:
I ment the overall aesthetics. The straps aren't my favorite, but the overall package wins me over.
I watched this video of the Oberon Design one and they sold me on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/OberonDesigns#p/a/u/0/IWSXk54PFxw

I love that its made to order, I love that the outer leather is Bull Hide that is single piece that's thick and won't crack or peel or fall apart over time but will get more supple and beautiful as it ages like fine leather should . Its also surprisingly not very bulky which the cheaper vinyl ones are.

Seems rather similar to the Amazon cover (leather) but with the worse securing mechanism. Oh and they are $70 US dollars plus shipping, which you would be crazy to pay. The designs are lovely, but really, that's the only advantage over the Amazon cover.

When you think about it, a leather accessory for any form of electronic product is sort of silly. We will have replaced said product long before the leather actually ages.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Burger said:

I have no idea why no one else is using the hinge method. It's the only way to use a cover. The elastic bands are hideous and seem less secure.

Burger

Bboy AJ said:
I have no idea why no one else is using the hinge method. It's the only way to use a cover. The elastic bands are hideous and seem less secure.

I suspect Amazon hold a patent and if a 3rd party wants to use the clips, they would have to pay a license fee.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Nice Easter Monday surprise My Kindle arrived at 930am.
Very nice fully charged now its very light and sleak

I made the following adjustments to eliminate(well almost) the margins on the display and find its much nicer now.
I've set Typeface to sans serif it seems to have the best combination of density and clarity.
Line spacing is medium and using 10point margins I'd say its very comparable to a paperback as far as words per page.
Heres a pic
ioos1v.jpg

Changing the Margin Size
Credit to AL Waters for posting this on the Amazon forum... edited by me for typos.

If like me you think the default margins on the Kindle 3 are much larger than they need to be then there is a simple method to make them smaller.

Step 1: Go to the Home page of the kindle and put it in USB drive mode. (Make sure you're on the homepage not reading a novel)

Step 2: View the files of the K3 and select the organize tab in the top left. Go onto the folder and search options select view and deselect the hide protected operating system files and select show hidden folders. Apply the changes and a system folder should become visible.

Step 3: Open the system folder the com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader folder and open the reader file with notepad software.

Step 4: In this file you will find the line HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40. This is the line you need to change. Change the 40 to the amont of pixels you want the margin to be. I've found 10 works well. When you've made the change save the file.

Step 5: Reload your kindle. To make the change go to the settings press the menu again and choose to restart. DO THIS BEFORE YOU OPEN A BOOK TO READ. Once the Kindle restarts open the book you're reading and the margins should be altered.

DrMungo

Ptaaty said:

This thread convinced me to hop on this eReader train.

I just put an order for one as well. Refurb nook, leather case, 2 yr insurance (as it is a refurb) = $109 . I have some epub books that I can't wait to load on it.

The Kindle does have better e-ink display and a slimmer form. Kindle also shows PDFs better. But the nook has expandable SD memory, and BN seems to update the firmware regularly. Also I like the fact that I can take it to a brick and mortar BN and browse whole books for free.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DrMungo said:
This thread convinced me to hop on this eReader train.

I just put an order for one as well. Refurb nook, leather case, 2 yr insurance (as it is a refurb) = $109 . I have some epub books that I can't wait to load on it.

The Kindle does have better e-ink display and a slimmer form. Kindle also shows PDFs better. But the nook has expandable SD memory, and BN seems to update the firmware regularly. Also I like the fact that I can take it to a brick and mortar BN and browse whole books for free.

Unless you plan on putting things other than ebooks on the device, the 3 GB on the Kindle 3 is more than you should ever need.

Being able to browse whole books for free in brick and mortar BN stores is pretty cool, although I doubt I'd ever use it.

Zefah said:
Unless you plan on putting things other than ebooks on the device, the 3 GB on the Kindle 3 is more than you should ever need.

Being able to browse whole books for free in brick and mortar BN stores is pretty cool, although I doubt I'd ever use it.
Hell, I've never bumped into the top end of the 400ish megs on my Sony. I suppose I keep it fairly trimmed, but even if I didn't, that just means I'd be limited to having the two hundred most relevant books on there at once. Text isn't exactly huge.

Zefah said:

Yeah, I've always figured that the expanding space capacity is more a PR thing than it is a practical thing. I guess it would be heavily illustrated books, but more likely extra large PDF scans (I guess).

Burger

bloodydrake said:
Nice Easter Monday surprise My Kindle arrived at 930am.
Very nice fully charged now its very light and sleak

I made the following adjustments to eliminate(well almost) the margins on the display and find its much nicer now.
I've set Typeface to sans serif it seems to have the best combination of density and clarity.
Line spacing is medium and using 10point margins I'd say its very comparable to a paperback as far as words per page.

Congratulations, Kindle 3 is great.

Also numerous studies indicate that in print serif fonts are more readable. This also extends to the Kindle, thanks to the e-ink display.

This is also the reason you won't find many books set in a sans-serif typeface. Of course the choice is yours, but if you may find the reading easier if you switch to the serif font (which is beautiful imo).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Burger said:
This is also the reason you won't find many books set in a sans-serif typeface. Of course the choice is yours, but if you may find the reading easier if you switch to the serif font (which is beautiful imo).

The 3 fonts on the Kindle 3 (from what I've read) are
standard Caecilia font, a condensed version of Caecilia, and a sans serif font( I guess Caecila is a serif style)
I find the 3rd option the nicest ..but of coarse its all personal preference.
I do find with sans serif I get about 5 lines more per page on average

DrMungo

Zefah said:

I do have some larger sized PDFs (mostly comics) that I want to load. The price was right for me as well i guess.

Well Amazon decided to be awesome and essentially give me overnight shipping. So I'll have my Kindle today instead of tomorrow and paying nothing for shipping since I did two day with Prime.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:
I really don't even know whether I even need a cover, but it's quite addictive looking for the one that could suit me.

my girlfriend and I both have kindle 3, she has no cover and her buttons have had the text fade/rubbed off some of them.

I really think the 60$ cover with the light is almost worth it for kindle 3. that light is damn good for reading in bed.

garath

I really need to comment on the kindle 3 battery life. I can't believe how good it really is.

After receiving the kindle, I charged it up to full. From there I proceeded to download ~15 books, read 7 of them, browse the kindle store quite a bit and I always left wi-fi on. I went exactly 31 days before needing my first charge.

Absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom