• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwu8991

Banned
Trurl said:
No, that and the poster writing something to the effect "I know, it's a stupid name, lol" were just cheap ways to seem credible.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo gave early previews before E3. The same happened when the wii came out just before E3 2006, I remember Time magazine raving about a new way of playing.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1191861-1,00.html
Also Chirs Morris and Chris Kohler also had an early play through of the first wii games.

Halo 1 remake a secret? Come now. And if I see Mario in HD. Oh man. This year i'm watching all the coverage with a friend. Gotta get some snacks.

Krowley

Baiano19 said:
wtf...

Oh God, if this Mario rumor is real... Jesus.
Honestly I think I will piss myself when I see a proper HD Mario. 60 hours...just 60 hours

I would bet anything that the mario rumor is fake, but I do think we will see a 3d mario for Cafe, and it would not shock me if nintendo decided to try a similar design strategy for it, just as a change of pace from the galaxy games.

jwluther

User33 said:
Alright, so I know this came from 4chan. I know there's a 99.99% chance this is fake. I just want to know what people think about the idea of an open world Mario

MJmjk.png

Again, this is most likely fake. I just want to know if people would be open to the idea should Nintendo decide to take the Mario series in that direction. The link was only posted in order to provide a basis for what the game might be like.
I hate to keep going back to this rumor because I know you guys are moving on, but ...

I went back and looked at the post from the ESRB guy (Round Cactus) on 4chan to see what his original post had to say. Included with all of his information was this tidbit:

-A new Mario game that looks like a strange little open world instead of a hub world with stages dynamic.

So, either we have two different people claiming there's an open world Mario game, or (the more likely scenario) the second guy got his "information" from the first guy, who could have completely made it up.

The image is here for those interested. The first four posts are supposedly BS, start with #5 (Round Cactus)

Eradicate

Trurl said:
What if instead of a video screen it's actually the metal mesh kind of screen?

I actually thought about that for a while too...I mean, in that instance, you could have touch input on literally any part of the controller too!

But, it seems Nikkei confirmed you can stream games to it to play away, so that would require a screen. You were definitely not alone in thinking that way though.

My big question is whether they "normally" expect the person to use their finger to use the touch screen or a stylus? I mean, they could go with a Wacom-sort of controller with buttons on the stylus that acts as a Wiimote. Or, they could just ignore any stylus usage at all. It's so hard to tell, and I can't wait to see it.

guek

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
I don't like the sound of the IGN schedule.. they're only going to profile a couple of Cafe games? I know its a year away.. but.. yeah. I want endless coverage. Coverage!

If nintendo delivers on half of the hype that's built around this thing, journalists are going to climbing over each other to cover it as much as possible.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Big One said:
Shikimaru Ninja confirmed Wii Relax for 2012 release, so they really HAVE to have something else after.

LOL. For clarification I never did anything of the sort. I posted on my blog that Nintendo was still working on it as of late 2010. Iwata then recently mentioned Nintendo is having some problems getting the software-hardware to work with 99% of the subjects. They were stuck on 80 something percent.

Ideally 2012 seems to be its target. But definitely not confirmed.

Krowley

jwluther said:
I hate to keep going back to this rumor because I know you guys are moving on, but ...

I went back and looked at the post from the ESRB guy (Round Cactus) on 4chan to see what his original post had to say. Included with all of his information was this tidbit:

So, either we have two different people claiming there's an open world Mario game, or (the more likely scenario) the second guy got his "information" from the first guy, who could have completely made it up.

The image is here for those interested. The first four posts are supposedly BS, start with #5 (Round Cactus)

Actually, people all over GAF (including myself) have been practically jizzing at the idea of an open world mushroom kingdom mario ever since Cafe was revealed. It could easily be a case of telling people what they want to hear.

Krowley said:
because it could be amazing if it was well designed.

Imagine the large free-roaming levels of mario 64, only there's just one big level that goes on and on.... changing from one kind of terrain and environment to another in an organic way, and you have to platform to make your way through the world with enemies and towns and ect....

It is pure sex.

But SM64 was pretty ordinary, regardless of its impact. Why downgrade from the stunning design established in the Galaxy games?

Penguin

DragonKnight said:
Anybody get a chance to look at IGN's E3 schedule? I know that one dude told us to stick to the site come tuesday and wednesday evening and if the schedule that they released is anything to go by then we may have three games on the Cafe that will not be revealed tuesday afternoon during the nintendo presser.

Two are sequels and one is a remake. Fuck it. I'm thinking ALTTP remake, SSB4, and i'm shot for the other super secret sequel.

My references for clarification:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1172273p3.html

and
http://games.ign.com/articles/117/1172302p1.html

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I've been off doing a 100 percent completion run on ff7 to pass the time

I mean TWO nintendo roundtables. Nintendo either has a winner on their hands or they are just doing some mega trolling with Wii Music 2

The Super Secret Remake is Halo CE

I mean come on, Gears, Forza, Super Secret Remake? Its a Microsoft Block.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Krowley said:
If I had money, I would bet you a dollar that the remake is Zelda 1. Some sort of re-imagining of zelda 1 for the 25th anniversary. Not even a straight up remake (because the gameplay is probably too primitive).
Really? Look at the schedule:
Gears of War 3 (Campaign) | 5:00pm
Forza Motorsports 4 | 5:20pm
Super Secret Remake | 5:40pm
Ms. 'Splosion Man | 6:00pm
What do you think is more likely: The Legend of Zelda remake in the middle of a block of demos for Microsoft published games, or the Halo remake that's coming in November?
DragonKnight said:
Halo 1 remake a secret? Come now.
It's still unannounced. IGN aren't allowed to refer to it as "Halo:CE Remake" yet, so for now it's 'super secret remake'.

People really need to keep their expectations in check.

Krowley

_Alkaline_ said:
But SM64 was pretty ordinary, regardless of its impact. Why downgrade from the stunning design established in the Galaxy games?

No-no-no.... Mario 64 was and still is amazing. It's just amazing in a different way, and it is not a downgrade from Galaxy. Galaxy provides an experience that is closer to 2d mario. Mario 64 is a totally different kind of platforming experience that is also very special.

I love the way you can find all sorts of different ways to beat challenges, some of which seem like exploits that were purposefully left in so that the player would be encouraged to experiment. The game is designed to give the player a feeling of creativity. It is one of the greatest games ever made, and its impact is only one small part of the reason.

dwu8991

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

It's hard to back to SM64, even conkers bad fur day is more fun and that had some pretty shitty controls.

Centurion

Banned
i haven't been following this topic all that much since I actually wanna be surprised during the speeches (still haven't looked at any of the microsoft leaks), but if I had to take a guess, I think the screen on the controller will likely be used as an item screen/maps/multi-player info/ and other slightly convenient ways of making the game flow smoother and easier without having to make you pause or clutter up the screen.

im gonna assume this has been brought up many times already, but I can't go through all these pages!

Krev said:

What do you think is more likely: The Legend of Zelda remake in the middle of a block of demos for Microsoft published games, or the Halo remake that's coming in November?

It's still unannounced. IGN aren't allowed to refer to it as "Halo:CE Remake" yet, so for now it's 'super secret remake'.

First off, calm down. I guess you missed the part where I said could be. I never claimed it is fact just food for thought. People really need to learn how to read.

And if you have ever read my posts you would know that well beyond tonight I am one of the most cynical posters on this board for fear of another Wii-like let down

Edit: I'm in a pissy mood. Take that as you will

jwluther

Another thing I noticed reading through the old 4chan post...
-A cyberpunk looking game. Honestly, I think it was Snatcher.
This was posted on May 15. And you guys probably know about the Snatcher logo in the Konami pre-E3 video a few days ago. Could this "Round Cactus" guy be the real deal, or am I just buying into the pre-E3 hype?

Krowley

Krev said:

We know Nintendo are doing something special for the anniversary, which they've been hyping and teasing.

We know they are supposed to doing at least two special events with big news after the conference, specifically on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

And when people use the word "super secret" they might as well be saying "nintendo" IMO.

dwu8991 said:
It's hard to back to SM64, even conkers bad fur day is more fun and that had some pretty shitty controls.

Mario 64 kills just about any 3d platformer ever made outside of a few standouts like the Galaxy games and Maximo ghosts to glory... and in terms of spirit, it kills some of those as well.

And for reference, I bought it on the VC and played through it TWICE after finishing Galaxy, massively enjoying both play-throughs. So I'm not viewing the game through rose-colored glasses. It is still awesome. The control is a little weird at first, and there are some lingering problems due to its age, but the level design and everything else about the game is pure genius. It's like pure distilled fun.

jwluther said:

This was posted on May 15. And you guys probably know about the Snatcher logo in the Konami pre-E3 video a few days ago. Could this "Round Cactus" guy be the real deal, or am I just buying into the pre-E3 hype?

Way too much of a coincidence. That would just be mindblowing. Kojima would be the kinda of guy to put excruciating detail into a pre-E3 video though. I wish GAF would shut down until Tuesday so that I couldn't come back until then.

Big One

Banned
Cactus confirmed quite a lot that turned out to be true it seems. Check this out: http://i.imgur.com/fy2gp.jpg

Apparently he also confirmed exact specs for the 3DS in the past on 4chan also. I'm starting to think he's legit.

However that other 4chan post probably isn't. He probably just took a cue from Cactus' post and made it his own.

Big One said:
Cactus confirmed quite a lot that turned out to be true it seems. Check this out: http://i.imgur.com/fy2gp.jpg

Apparently he also confirmed exact specs for the 3DS in the past on 4chan also. I'm starting to think he's legit.

However that other 4chan post probably isn't. He probably just took a cue from Cactus' post and made it his own.

True? Where. The ESRB list leak?

Edit: I'm starting to think that the post is legit too. Way too many rumblings about GTAV. I don't know why nintendo would think that it would be a big draw though. Why spend money for a new console for a game that I can just play on my current gen consoles? There has to a perk. The connectivity thing is exactly what I am expecting from the console though. And the high resolution part is just the amount of tech savvy I expect from a person working at the ESRB

J-Rock

Banned
That SMW3 game would make this system a day 1 buy for me no matter what. This is the one rumor that I am praying, by some fluke chance, is true.

Big One said:

He also is saying that Zelda Universe is the collection for the upcoming 25th anniversary...

What does that tell us?

Big One said:
No at the Konami conference.

I'm saying that him mentioning next-gen Contra is a pretty major coincidence.

I see. I'm really starting to believe now. The list has just the right amount of nintendo if that makes any sense.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Krowley said:
We know Nintendo are doing something special for the anniversary, which they've been hyping and teasing.

We know they are supposed to doing at least two special events with big news after the conference, specifically on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

And when people use the word "super secret" they might as well be saying "nintendo" IMO.
So you think IGN won't be doing stage demos of unannounced games from anyone other than Nintendo? Because every game on that list is announced except for the 'super secret' ones.
I'm not saying that there definitely won't be a Zelda 25th Anniversary remake...I'm saying that it definitely isn't what the 'super secret remake' on that list is. And I'd bet way more than $1 on it.
If you look at the schedule, it's Microsoft published game, Microsoft published game, unannounced remake, Microsoft published game.
It looks like Microsoft bought out or organised a block of time to be dedicated to their games in that time period, and since a Halo remake coming for the 10th anniversary is an open secret, it's incredibly obvious that's what they're going to show off.
I mean, come on, there's no other Nintendo games in that schedule and a bunch of Microsoft games. Chances are that Nintendo aren't giving any showfloor demos to IGN (just like in previous years). Also, they wouldn't program a Zelda live demo at the same time as their press roundtable.
It's Halo.

Anth0ny

Big One said:

If this shit is real...

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

rpmurphy

Big One said:

I need to take a break from reading Cafe threads. Or do some breathing exercises while I read them. The wait is becoming ridiculously unbearable!

Kard8p3

DocTarHeel said:
He also is saying that Zelda Universe is the collection for the upcoming 25th anniversary...

What does that tell us?

That he might just be a little on the fake side. We know Zelda Universe is the Zelda site.

Krowley

Krev said:
So you think IGN won't be doing stage demos of unannounced games from anyone other than Nintendo? Because every game on that list is announced except for the 'super secret' ones.
I'm not saying that there definitely won't be a Zelda 25th Anniversary remake...I'm saying that it definitely isn't what the 'super secret remake' on that list is. And I'd bet way more than $1 on it.
If you look at the schedule, it's Microsoft published game, Microsoft published game, unannounced remake, Microsoft published game.
It looks like Microsoft bought out or organised a block of time to be dedicated to their games in that time period, and since a Halo remake coming for the 10th anniversary is an open secret, it's incredibly obvious that's what they're going to show off.
I mean, come on, there's no other Nintendo games in that schedule and a bunch of Microsoft games. Chances are that Nintendo aren't giving any showfloor demos to IGN (just like in previous years). Also, they wouldn't program a Zelda live demo at the same time as their press roundtable.
It's Halo.

Maybe... Remember, I only said I would bet a dollar, so I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong :p

Perhaps nintendo has events as well, and they aren't listed on this schedule.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I;m wiling to bet "Current" is nothing more than the replacement codename Nintendo coined after they inadvertently leaked the "Project Cafe" on their developers site. Konami doesn't know what this thing will be called, that's for sure. Not even Nintendo's own developers have that info. Trust me, the only ones who know the name are Nintendo's "need-to-know" execs and the advertising agency they're partnering with.

Leo Burnett?

Foffy

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
That he might just be a little on the fake side. We know Zelda Universe is the Zelda site.

To be fair to the claims he works at the ESRB, the website was rated on their database, so he could have confused it to be a game.

I know a lot of this sounds ridiculous but so were the SSBB leaks a week before the game came out, with reports of the roster and stages in very specific listings of how things looked when everything was unlocked.

Instro

Big One said:

Well I guess we'll have to see. I'm vaguely familiar with the Cactus guy, I know hes been right before but I dunno how often he posts stuff so dunno if he is always right or just lucky.

Lot of interesting stuff there if true, thats for sure.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The 4chan Current list is amazing, but there's one problem.
He says Zelda Universe is the prerelease title for the anniversary collection.
Zelda Universe is actually the old site, and it's been in the ESRB database for years.
jwluther said:

Crazy as it seems, the Snatcher bit is one of the most likely, along with Contra. When Kojima and Mark MacDonald spoke about him not going to E3 in that video, they were both acting awkwardly and looked almost as if they were trying to hold back laughter.
And we know Kojima and Suda 51 have been working on 'Project S' for a good while now.

Krowley said:
Maybe... Remember, I only said I would bet a dollar :p So, I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.

Perhaps nintendo has events as well, and they aren't listed on this schedule.
They almost certainly do! IGN said they'd be liveblogging roundtables or some other type of event on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. That's separate from the IGN stream scheduled. And in the past, they've saved some huge announcements for their roundtable.

Vespene

One of the earliest memories I had as a kid was getting the SNES when I was 12. I still remember the smell of the grey and purple plastic and the feeling of that slick controller after so many years of the blocky NES one. Nintendo would do good by evoking that nostalgia if they design Cafe as a homage to the SNES.

Pardon my ignorance, but does ESRB review the trailers and promotional videos for games and systems before they're shown at E3?

I know publishers slap the RP label on the front end of them, but does ESRB actually view them before they're made public?

Chiggs

Based on those posts, the system sounds utterly incredible.

And I almost cried seeing the news of Snatcher.

trinest

DragonKnight said:
Metroid not focusing on Samus? Do not want. BTW have those SS rumblings been confirmed as BS yet?

Didn't Nintendo want to focus more on the other hunters from Metroid Hunters at some stage? Could be truth to it?

Vespene

I actually would like them to reboot Metroid, or at least make a Metroid game that is inspired by the characters and creatures but doesn't necessarily tie into the same fiction. Lately Metroid games have been held back by their stories, and it would be a cool idea to have a spiritual sequel to the Metroid series, not a literal one.

Also, I can almost guarantee you Kojima is trolling everyone (again) by saying he wasn't going to E3 when being interviewed by Mark McDonnald. He's been trolling about press event attendance lately, the NGP event being the most recent example.

BertramCooper said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does ESRB review the trailers and promotional videos for games and systems before they're shown at E3?

I know publishers slap the RP label on the front end of them, but does ESRB actually view them before they're made public?
Nope, nor do they rate games that are more than 6 months away from release (he said they had to review the trailer because some of those unannounced games were rated Teen and Mature). So his whole thing is fake.

The ESRB is ALL about rating games. Not videos, not commercials, games. It's not like the movie rating system where move previews get rated. And it costs a few hundred dollars to get them to rate your game, so companies wouldn't voluntarily pay them for something stupid that won't affect anything (parents will see the rating of a trailer at the E3 press conference?)

Instro

trinest said:
Didn't Nintendo want to focus more on the other hunters from Metroid Hunters at some stage? Could be truth to it?

If its a sequel to Prime 3, then it could have something to do with that ship that follows Samus at the end of the game...? One thing to note, assuming this is true and he has seen some sort of sizzle reel, his speculation on what each title might or might not be about could be a little off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom