• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 229 (new format) scores, features, Hitman cover

DennisK4 said:
I like EDGE and have bought a lot of issues but quite frankly that is one ridiculous list.

I strongly disagree with every single of those scores and honestly, if I didn't know better I would assume that was a troll list.

Mostly average and below average scores for some of the best RPGs ever made. Some of those scores are completely loopy.

It bears repeating that many of those games on that list were released in rather poor states and were later patched up. But they are reviewing the launch code.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
herod said:
I actually think they love the WRPG genre and think it has a theoretically much higher ceiling than devs are currently achieving.

Whoa, it's like you've read the reviews! Although the mag's historically gone through some down-on-PC-game eras, usually coinciding with when console titles are at their most focused and polished.

Full disclosure: I'm responsible for one of those older scores, and I'll ride it to the grave.

El-Suave said:
CD Projekt knows how to deal with Edge scores:
4u8j6s.jpg

(from their recent press conference)

Going to use this whenever an EDGE thread appears. XD

ksan

D2M15 said:
Whoa, it's like you've read the reviews!

Full disclosure: I'm responsible for one of those older scores, and I'll ride it to the grave.
And you won't tell us which one it is?

EDGE scores are actually trolololololo for hits.

Reading the reviews it's not always as bad as the scores imply, basically because their style of scoring seems very different from all the other review outlets.

Also metacritic is stupid because they count "five star reviews" as 10/10, skewing scores way way up and further from the relatively lower EDGE-scores.

Will continue to read it for the articles as always....

marrec

Banned
ChuckNoLuck said:
Grammatical error in the first sentence. Time for bed.

Aww, you must lead a very sad existence. :(

Wait, there is probably a gramatical error in my first sentance, so you won't even read it. *BIG SIGH*

Ledsen

toasty_T said:
Their TW2 was a surprsingly terrible read and it contains some factual errors. It reads like they were going to give it a 3. The reviewer took issue with it not running well on his computer, that's some petty shit.

No he didn't. He said the great graphics come at the expense of it running poorly on middling computers. This is true. He didn't complain and he didn't talk about his own computer, he simply stated a fact.

StuBurns

Banned
Casshern said:
Edge underrates another Sony exclusive?

Shocking
Don't be ridiculous. I think Sony are great, but I've played the I2 demo, it's weak sauce.

One PS3 exclusive (LBP) and one 360 exclusive (Halo 3) have tens by the way.

Arnie

Some interesting scores there will definitely buy to read their reasoning which is always sound. Infamous 2 and Witcher are on my radar in the near future so I want to see what exactly they thought about it, and personally after beating LA Noie I think 8 is a notch too generous.

Can't wait to check out the new format.

markot

Banned
>_>

Whats middling?

So do they test games on several spec'd systems to give honest reviews of all pc games?

Ledsen

Dina said:
X > Y is only frowned upon by me when I believe Y is the greater game. Witcher 2 got almost universally praised as well. Metacritic sees a 0.0 point difference between the games, yet EDGE sees a three point difference?

In any case, it's not that surprising, really. I haven't trusted EDGE scores since ever. Awful reviewing magazine.

edit: Looking at the WRPG scores, further substantiates my proof that the 6 is deflated. Either they score the WRPG's too high or way too low.

So what you're saying is that everyone should agree with you and all reviews should have the same score, or only differ by 1-2 points? Because that seems to be what you're saying. Is it? If not, what's your point?

Casshern

Banned
StuBurns said:
Don't be ridiculous. I think Sony are great, but I've played the I2 demo, it's weak sauce.

In previous thread people have compared Edge scores with average scores and they've proved that Edge underrates Sony exclusives and overrates Microsoft exclusives. So my statement is factual, no matter how much certain fans are irritated by it.

Shurs

Reading that inFamous 2 review, an "Edge 6" feels very much like any other website's 6.

It sounds like the reviewer genuinely disliked most of the game, the only saving grace being the User-Generated Content.

The reviewer calls Prototype "vastly superior."

inFamous 2 review.

StuBurns

Banned
Casshern said:
In previous thread people have compared Edge scores with average scores and they've proved that Edge underrates Sony exclusives and overrates Microsoft exclusives. So my statement is factual, no matter how much certain fans are irritated by it.
There is no 'factual' score. You can't get an objective evaluation to compare them with. It's like the meme about them overscoring British games, they're British, maybe British people are more in tune with the wants of British consumers. Maybe the Xbox exclusives are generally better for them, regardless of their platform.

Casshern said:

:lol

How can it be proven? Edge give it what they think it deserves therefore it's neither under or overrated.

Coldsnap

Read through the Witcher 2 review and while I agree with the reviewer it's just a matter of taste, most of the things she stated as liking are the things I appreciate about the game.

lucius

Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

Their reviews are all over the place a lot of times, more than most game mags and other top video game sites. Even though I have some problems with IGN and Game Informer they have more consistent reviews. Gametrailers is good for overall reviews also.

I think Gamepro is one of the worst for reviews and so are these guys.

Also forgot to add they seem to throw in some scores just to get a "reaction effect" instead of fairly reviewing a game, I have no doubt.

zoukka

Casshern said:
In previous thread people have compared Edge scores with average scores and they've proved that Edge underrates Sony exclusives and overrates Microsoft exclusives. So my statement is fansual, no matter how much certain fans are irritated by it.

Fixed it for you.

Curufinwe

Visualante said:
Witcher 2 6

Where's 1up Matt Leone to tell us again that Edge is biased in favor of Polish developed games? For those who don't know, Leone claimed that Edge giving Homefront a 5 and Bullsetstorm a 9 was proof that Edge were biased against American developed games and in favor of games developed in European locations such as Poland (not just Britain).

That's right, he actually used Homefront as a game to base the claim on.

Curufinwe

Nirolak said:
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment honestly.

WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7
Fallout: New Vegas - 6
TES III: Morrowind - 6
Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Dragon Age: Origins - 5
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Vampire: Bloodlines - 6
Mass Effect - 7
Temple Of Elemental Evil - 4

You can read their Diablo review here:

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/diablo-review

It's part of their 150 classic reviews series.

http://www.next-gen.biz/filter/all/tags/1097

Edge's reviews are generally no better than any other outlet, just their previews...It is true that they are generally more critical, but their opinions are no more factual than any other. They have their own slant. They like certain games they don't like others, and the differentiation is often preference rather than comparitive quality

Riddick

Edge has been a joke for a long time. They're trolling with scores just to get attention and sales. They're the equivalent of rumor and sales sites that post bullshit to get hits but they do it with scores.

Obviously the good reviewers have long gone and now they have idiots who try their best to continue the tradition of strict scores but instead they make themselves look ridiculous and extremely inconsistent.

StuBurns said:

LBP also earned their GOTY.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahahahahah, Witcher 2 a 6?

Ok whatever you say, EDGE.

3rdman

lucius said:
Their reviews are all over the place a lot of times, more than most game mags and other top video game sites. Even though I have some problems with IGN and Game Informer they have more consistent reviews. Gametrailers is good for overall reviews also.

I think Gamepro is one of the worst for reviews and so are these guys.

Also forgot to add they seem to throw in some scores just to get a "reaction effect" instead of fairly reviewing a game, I have no doubt.

Mass Effect - 7/10 - Agree!
Jade Empire - 7/10 - Agree!
KotOR - 9/10 - Agree!
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10 - NP
The Witcher - 5/10 - Disagree! I'd have given it a 7 but then again, they probably reviewed the original version with a lot more bugs in it.
Morrowind - 6/10 - I'm in the minority, but I agree...I can't get into it.
Oblivion - 8/10 - Agree! But close to a 9 for me.
Fallout 3 - 7/10 - Agree!
Diablo - 7/10 - NP
Diablo II - 6/10 - NP
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10 - AGREE!!!! It was a total chore to finish.
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10 - Too high...I'd have given it a 9...still worthy of its score, though.

Honestly I don't see the controversy in those reviews...Edge reviews often get a raised eyebrow but those eyebrows usually come down as time passes and objectivity is easier to come by...which leads me to my other point: I know this sounds condescending of me but I can't help but think that age has a bit to do with it. At 41 years old, and after the thousands of hours of gaming I've played, I find that my tastes have changed and like anyone who has acquired a taste for something, my gaming "palette" (I believe) is more refined. Perhaps this is why I generally agree with them?

Naturally there are exceptions...but honestly they are rare and for the few disagreements I've had with them, I simply accept it as a difference of opinion (as opposed to the bizarre conspiracy theories that get bandied about here).

Curufinwe

They gave Mass Effect 2 a 9.

Riddick said:
Edge has been a joke for a long time. They're trolling with scores just to get attention and sales. They're the equivalent of rumor and sales sites that post bullshit to get hits but they do it with scores.

Obviously the good reviewers have long gone and now they have idiots who try their best to continue the tradition of strict scores but instead they make themselves look ridiculous and extremely inconsistent.

Edge gave Fallout a 6 just as they gave Witcher 2 a 6, so when exactly did this change occur? Nirolak's post shows they have been pretty consistently harsh on WRPGs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shurs said:
Reading that inFamous 2 review, an "Edge 6" feels very much like any other website's 6.

It sounds like the reviewer genuinely disliked most of the game, the only saving grace being the User-Generated Content.

The reviewer calls Prototype "vastly superior."

inFamous 2 review.

Good fucking lord. I'm playing inFamous 2 right now, and it's VASTLY superior to Prototype. There isn't even a fucking contest. How someone can believe that is beyond me.

I'm not even going to touch the 6/10 for Witcher 2.

Riddick

Curufinwe said:
They gave Mass Effect 2 a 9.

Edge gave Fallout a 6 just as they gave Witcher 2 a 6, so when exactly did this change occur? Nirolak's post shows they have been pretty consistently harsh on WRPGs.

I used to be a teenager the last time I took them seriously so for a long time. Future Publishing has raped the magazine multiple times with layoffs and change of staff until noone decent was left.

I can't believe there are suckers in here who still take it seriously because it used to be great once upon a time.

Rad-

StuBurns said:
You're complaining about an eight? It is you who is derpping Sir.

When Baldur's Gate 2 is in question, it's like giving a 5 for any other game ever made. Any score below 10 is injustice!

diffusionx

Gold Member
3rdman said:
I know this sounds condescending of me but I can't help but think that age has a bit to do with it. At 41 years old, and after the thousands of hours of gaming I've played, I find that my tastes have changed and like anyone who has acquired a taste for something, my gaming "palette" (I believe) is more refined. Perhaps this is why I generally agree with them?

A lot of games that are highly praised are pure ass and are backlashed to shit within a few months. I'd rather read a negative review than yet another positive one, but I think I'm the exception here - it seems a lot of people read reviews to get their positive opinions (often made before they even play the game) reinforced. Of course, EDGE also gave Halo 3 and GTA4 10/10 so they aren't immune to the problem. But they are better than most.

Even some games I like I'd have a tough time giving over a 6/10 too, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

That explains a lot, I guess their just not a fan of PC centric/style RPG's.

Top Bottom