• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: PS3 Price Drop Coming in August (Gamescom)

Dunan

I vote against!

(I want the Cloud Black PS3 that I'm looking to sell next time I'm back in the US to retain as much value as possible until it's out of my hands. Then, Sony, feel free to drop the price! ^_^;)

What I'd rather see is an even-slimmer PS3. I still can't get over how thin and light the PS2 Slim is -- so much gaming goodnes in such a thin and light package! I can easily see myself bringing that PS2 with me wherever I might move in the future, even now when it's old technology, than the big bulky PS3, which I would probably sell and then buy again (used) at my new location. With a mobile lifestyle you can't beat lightweight electronics.

I don't think anyone will doubt a price drop is coming for the HD twins this Xmas season. Just how much they drop and who drops first is the big questions.

FrankT

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't think anyone will doubt a price drop is coming for the HD twins this Xmas season. Just how much they drop and who drops first is the big questions.

Betting on them both being in or around a 2 week period end of Aug/early Sept. Or for maximum leverage MS drops it right around the release of Gears 3.

Dunan said:
I vote against!

(I want the Cloud Black PS3 that I'm looking to sell next time I'm back in the US to retain as much value as possible until it's out of my hands. Then, Sony, feel free to drop the price! ^_^;)

What I'd rather see is an even-slimmer PS3. I still can't get over how thin and light the PS2 Slim is -- so much gaming goodnes in such a thin and light package! I can easily see myself bringing that PS2 with me wherever I might move in the future, even now when it's old technology, than the big bulky PS3, which I would probably sell and then buy again (used) at my new location. With a mobile lifestyle you can't beat lightweight electronics.

I thought a slim-slim $199 might happen this fall, but the new model suggest otherwise on size anyway.

The reason I don't think a PS3 price drop will be announced at Gamescom in August is this

Sep 8
TALES OF XILLIA X Edition (160GB)
¥37980

They can pull a Nintendo and not drop the price in Japan, which would be pretty stupid. They could also change the HDD size to the expensive one (will probably be 500GB). Or they could change the price. I think it's more likely that it'll be announced at TGS which takes place in mid September and the price drop being effective by the end of September/beginning of October sounds about right to me.

AranhaHunter said:
The reason I don't think a PS3 price drop will be announced at Gamescom in August is this

Sep 8
TALES OF XILLIA X Edition (160GB)
¥37980

They can pull a Nintendo and not drop the price in Japan, which would be pretty stupid. They could also change the HDD size to the expensive one (will probably be 500GB). Or they could change the price. I think it's more likely that it'll be announced at TGS which takes place in mid September and the price drop being effective by the end of September/beginning of October sounds about right to me.

Or they could just lower the price anyway and cut the price of that bundle by the corresponding amount. It wouldn't be difficult.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who wants a next generation console this is great news, i'm glad i decided to buy a HDTV earlier this year instead of a console . If the PS3 gets a 100$ price cut then i hope the 360 is soon to follow or at least introduces a new 200$ model that includes a hard drive, only 4GB sucks throw a 100GB hard drive in there or something.

Special J

Banned
Gexecuter said:
As someone who wants a next generation console this is great news, i'm glad i decided to buy a HDTV earlier this year instead of a console . If the PS3 gets a 100$ price cut then i hope the 360 is soon to follow or at least introduces a new 200$ model that includes a hard drive, only 4GB sucks throw a 100GB hard drive in there or something.

heres the problem with hdds either you have them or you dont increasing the capacity dont really increase the cost that much since all it is another platter.

so it pretty much costs the same whether they throw in a 60GB hdd or a 120gb its why they keep increasing the hdd to increase "value".

TheBranca18 said:
Last Guardian won't be out until 2013 anyway.
It'll be Q2 2012, count on it. My guess is May.

PS3 will definatley have a great christmas at 199.99 / 179.99. Especially in Europe and Japan (Where a new Final Fantasy is launching).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Good news. Just need my MGS4 Phat to hang on a little longer. That load fan noise seems to be coming on alot quicker than it used to, sometimes after only 10 minutes of the system being on...not sure it that really means anything.

Banned
yurinka said:
I think it would match 360 numbers in USA and UK, but would clearly surpass it all the other main markets like Japan or the other Euro markets.

And it would finally surpass it clearly in worldwide LTD numbers.

That is what many here were saying about the PS3 when it dropped to $299.

A couple of weeks ago Gamestop was running the "extra 50% trade in credit on games", you could have bought the Black Ops bundle, sliced the box open and traded the game in in the same transaction for a quick 44$ off a new PS3.....

I've been holding off for this price drop all year, c'mon 199.99!!!!!

Jeels

[Nintex] said:
Did you miss last holiday season in the US, were you even born back then?

Everything pretty much balances out internationally. The gap between the PS3 and 360 has been shrinking almost since the PS3 launched, and definitely since the slim. It slowed down substantially with Kinect, but it's still shrinking.

My day one 60GB backwards compatible PS3 is still going strong. I play it all the time and it hasn't slowed one bit. Sony products are built like fucking tanks.

jayb

yay, this better be true. I've been holding out on getting my YLOD 80GB PS3 fixed for two months, in hopes of a price drop on the slim this year.

gofreak said:
Yeah, but when the price was higher, $100 drops were proportionately smaller than they would be now. At some point they'd have to migrate to smaller drops, I'd be surprised if they didn't do that with the next one.

Plus their forecast for the FY is - what - 16m units? It doesn't seem like a very aggressive forecast if they're going to have a 199 PS3 this holiday. I dunno though, maybe the market is slowing. (Working off the top of my head here, though - can anyone confirm the forecast?)

Pretty sure it was consistent at ~15m for the year.

Especially after the PSN hit, though, I'd say $199 is out of the question. $249.

btkadams

somuchwater said:
Pretty sure it was consistent at ~15m for the year.

Especially after the PSN hit, though, I'd say $199 is out of the question. $249.
dropping to 249 won't even do anything though. would anyone really care? $100 price drop could actually get results for sony.

btkadams said:
dropping to 249 won't even do anything though. would anyone really care? $100 price drop could actually get results for sony.

Maybe. But why would Sony's projections have remain unchanged from last year? You'd expect a 33% drop in price would result in a projected 20-25% jump in sales, no?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
24FrameDaVinci said:
My day one 60GB backwards compatible PS3 is still going strong. I play it all the time and it hasn't slowed one bit. Sony products are built like fucking tanks.
That's not what I've heard, YLOD and all.

Elios83

Just got some news.
Orders for the new 160GB and 320GB PS3s (K chassis, the new model) are being placed and they will be launched in Europe in the first week of September.
320GB will be bundled with Resistance 3. Order prices are still the same old prices, 299€ for the 160GB and 349€ for the 320GB bundle.
So they could be placeholder prices or there's the possibility of no price cut at Gamescom.

Special J

Banned
tigerin said:
grrrrr, my ps3 broke and i've been waiting for this price drop forever.

gj necro old thread :p

but i doubt the price will drop in usa. will probably be limited to europe where the ps3 is ~$350+ US.

This article was written before Sony posted their predictions for the year. They predicted 15million last year and barely made it and then projected 15million this year. So if they thought they could hit 15million at $299, in order for a price cut to be in the cards they have to expect a huge dip in sales that the price drop will bring them back to normal levels.

At first I thought a $100 drop to $199 was totally a given and obvious but seeing their planned numbers makes me think it will only be $50 instead and maybe a free game like Uncharted 2 packed in. It will be interesting to see what they do and why they planned the numbers the way they did.

SpecX

If this is true, then count me in. I've been wanting a second system to have upstairs in my bedroom for weekends where i just don't want to get out of bed and would love to play a game before heading down, but I get the feeling a price drop is very close to becoming a reality.

Paracelsus

OldJadedGamer said:
This article was written before Sony posted their predictions for the year. They predicted 15million last year and barely made it and then projected 15million this year. So if they thought they could hit 15million at $299, in order for a price cut to be in the cards they have to expect a huge dip in sales that the price drop will bring them back to normal levels.

At first I thought a $100 drop to $199 was totally a given and obvious but seeing their planned numbers makes me think it will only be $50 instead and maybe a free game like Uncharted 2 packed in. It will be interesting to see what they do and why they planned the numbers the way they did.

I asked a friend who owns a videogame store in this town and he told me one month ago they got the mail from Sony, it's 249€ for the 120gb and 299€ for the 320gb model.

I can't believe they might go another year without a cut, pretty baffling but I suppose they figure they'll top 360 worldwide anyway..... whatever.

[Nintex]

Sony should go to $199 for sure but I think they'll go for $249 due to the high yen and their bad financials, but $199 would be so good for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex] said:
Sony should go to $199 for sure but I think they'll go for $249 due to the high yen and their bad financials, but $199 would be so good for them.
Their shipment predictions seem too ambitious for $249.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
strangely, sony uploaded these pics today.

tatenaname.jpg

fukan.jpg

nanamefukan.jpg

what does it mean!!?

£175 would hopefully force Microsoft to react, I want to get that Star Wars Kinect bundle.
My brother would appreciate the price cut for PS3 as well, as his broke. I might consider picking one up again next year just for Uncharted 3!

More pressure on the Wii-U to come in at a reasonable price too. Which I welcome.

DMPrince said:
nah. i'm sure they can do it with the titles coming out later this year.

Which titles? Sony's first party titles are all sequels so they are selling to an existing fanbase. The only one I think can expand its audience is Uncharted 3, and even then I think it will suffer from some franchise fatigue.

$199 is a good price for Sony, it allows them to beat this years targets for good investor cheer.

Top Bottom