• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Next Xbox Graphics Will Look Like AVATAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrBig said:
The uninformed posts in this thread are terrifying. It's like half the people here were asleep during each new console release.
Dynamic foliage has been in this gen of consoles for years.
Parallax algorithms and tessellation are starting to come into wide use and make reliance on normals for major things obsolete.
AI is limited by the either the CPU or GPU, and by how far the developer wants to devote to it, but that really has nothing to do with hardware beyond that.

First off, dynamic foliage systems usually use basic collision detection and don't in any way guarantee that clipping won't occur. And besides, let's ignore foliage for a second and consider the computational overhead of calculating fully dynamic deformations for cloth of varying thicknesses and stiffness.

Parallax mapping isn't really a solution to the problem I mentioned since steep parallax mapping still looks like shit. Tesselation on the other hand is great. To say that they its coming into "wide use" is total crap though, and the technique will need to improve substantially before it completely eliminates the "good from the front, shame about the side" problem.

And I'm not sure how you go from "AI is limited by either the CPU or GPU" to "has nothing to do with hardware", but that was a pretty spectacular bit of cognitive dissonance. Also, I'm not talking about AI as much as facial-animation. Tesselation and displacement mapping will help a lot to make real-time facial animation more convincing, but it's unlikely we're going to see widespread usage for a long time.

Monocle said:
Why do companies assassinate their credibility with dumb hyperbolic statements like this? Lying too big undermines the point of lying in the first place: to deceive people.

I'd be thrilled if AMD weren't exaggerating, obviously, but what are the chances? There's only so many times you can slap my ass and say I'm in a horse race before I'll tell you to bugger off.
They don't do a single thing to harm their credibility because only two types of people care about these things. People who can't effect any change like us and the people who want to cash in on the next big thing. It doesn't matter if it's bullshit and lies. Hell, if you spend any time looking at how the corporate world works it is all one big farce that drives the system.

This industry is like a microcosm of that one with even worse properties. I'm just here to play games because nothing we say will change much about the hardware or the PR haha.

pottuvoi

Banned
DCharlie said:
Dehyped : Next Xbox and PS4 to be able to render Epic's latest engine at a steady frame rate at 1080p in 3D
Perhaps, but what we really hope to see with a proper framerate is the UE4 which has yet to be shown to a public.. ;)

StevieP

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
And Epic (the company that made that) stated that it can run on 1 GTX 580, so what's the problem?

This is the problem:

StevieP said:
Yes, they can get that scripted cutscene to run on 1 300w graphics card if they downgrade the resolution, texture quality, lighting quality, polygon counts, and a variety of other things. But a 300w graphics card still isn't going into a console unless you guys like $600 consoles that look like PC towers. And it's still a scripted cutscene in the end.

You guys ARE bananas.

Please read this.

gundamkyoukai said:
Next gen we will be lucky if games are 1080p , we might something like 1280x1080 or something else .
Still i can also see devs just staying at 720p .

Next-gen should have a more even split between 720p and 1080p.

milanbaros

Member?
If the next gen consoles from Sony and Mcrosoft are released in 2013 we should see a huge leap in graphics.

It will be 8 years after the 360.

Just hope microsoft enforces 1080p for 2 years or so like they did 720p till halo3 hit.
Just so people get used to 1080p and will complain if it didn't hit that target.

szaromir said:
Even some launch 360 games weren't 720p.

I could have sworn they enforced third party devs 720p with 2xMsaa because of the Edram.
Maybe somebody fucked with and told bullshit to me. Wasn't that big of a gamer or into game development.

StevieP

Banned
dragonelite said:
I could have sworn they enforced third party devs 720p with 2xMsaa because of the Edram.
Maybe somebody fucked with and told bullshit to me. Wasn't that big of a gamer or into game development.

They told bullshit to everyone.

dragonelite said:
This was true.They tried to include it in the trc, but got so much backlash that they removed the requirement.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
StevieP said:
This is the problem:

Please read this.

Dude I think you will be very surprised come 2014 when the PS4 and Xbox 3 show itself to be very powerful.

And I don't care that it was a scripted cutscene. All games that I play have an in-engine cutscene. It sells and explains to me the story. So you aren't saying anything new or making the Samaritan video look worse by explaining that it's a scripted video.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
mckmas8808 said:
Dude I think you will be very surprised come 2014 when the PS4 and Xbox 3 show itself to be very powerful.

And I don't care that it was a scripted cutscene. All games that I play have an in-engine cutscene. It sells and explains to me the story. So you aren't saying anything new or making the Samaritan video look worse by explaining that it's a scripted video.
2014? Ok. However, "very powerful" is a subjective term. If they have the equivalent of a 580, it won't be considered "very powerful" in 2014 by many.

I cant wait when all of the endless graphic whoring leads to the bottom falling out of the home console segment and we are all stuck with iPad graphics.

It will be incredibly heart wrenching but also incredibly well deserved by creators and consumers alike.

StevieP

Banned
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
I cant wait when all of the endless graphic whoring leads to the bottom falling out of the home console segment and we are all stuck with iPad graphics.

It will be incredibly heart wrenching but also incredibly well deserved by creators and consumers alike.

The wheels are already in motion.

McHuj

Graphic whoring will move to the iPad then if it hasn't already. When ipad2 was launched, Apple pointed out the 2x CPU and 9X graphics improvements over the previous version. When the next Ipad comes out, they'll tout their improvements again.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

StevieP said:
The wheels are already in motion.
I completely agree.
Also, paging Princess Skittles to thread.

We still have along way to go in the field of real-time rendering. I think some of you are going to be amazed, once again, at what next-gen consoles will be capable of.

I cannot wait to see the look on some of your faces ^__^

gwarm01

herzogzwei1989 said:
We still have along way to go in the field of real-time rendering. I think some of you are going to be amazed, once again, at what next-gen consoles will be capable of.

I will say "wow."

herzogzwei1989 said:

I didn't know you can see our faces through your monitor.

Marco1

herzogzwei1989 said:

This comment has me intrigued.

KageMaru

herzogzwei1989 said:

Who are you and who do you work for? =p

Also I agree, I think it's laughable that some think we're hitting the graphical wall already.

I'm thinking they'll match the CG we have seen in current gen games, nothing on the same level as AVATAR. We'll definitely see games that surpass Crysis 2 (DX11-High Res Textures) and BF3.

McHuj said:
Graphic whoring will move to the iPad then if it hasn't already. When ipad2 was launched, Apple pointed out the 2x CPU and 9X graphics improvements over the previous version. When the next Ipad comes out, they'll tout their improvements again.

Well, you know what they say about history...

gatti-man

You can keep waiting. Pc gaming guarantees that will never happen.

Marco1

Would anyone like something similar to a Nvidea control panel were you could assign profiles to games with forced graphical improvements ?
For example, say the game could be 1920x1080 with 60fps stock but you could sacrifice resolution and framerate for extra AA and AF and post processing effects.

KageMaru

Marco1 said:
Would anyone like something similar to a Nvidea control panel were you could assign profiles to games with forced graphical improvements ?
For example, say the game could be 1920x1080 with 60fps stock but you could sacrifice resolution and framerate for extra AA and AF and post processing effects.

I'm not sure that would be a great idea. Optimizing around such a set up would be an issue I'd imagine.

Didn't Two Worlds 2 allow consoles to use a command console to toggle some effects? I guess allowing gamers to turn off effects for greater performance (like Bioshock turning off v-sync) is a good idea, but to allow too many on/off options just sounds like a bad idea IMO.

We have gone as far as we can go in the field of real-time rendering. I think some of you are going to be disappointed, once again, at what next-gen consoles will be capable of.

FoxSpirit

jim-jam bongs said:
We have gone as far as we can go in the field of real-time rendering. I think some of you are going to be disappointed, once again, at what next-gen consoles will be capable of.

The only way to be disappointed by this gen is by taking a high-end PC as measure. Not if you compare PS2 levels to now.

Hot damn, we have seriously come a long way in that regard.

FoxSpirit said:
The only way to be disappointed by this gen is by taking a high-end PC as measure. Not if you compare PS2 levels to now.

Oh that wasn't a serious post, I was just seeing if everyone would agree with me and become "intrigued" if I made the exact same post as that other guy in the reverse, or if they only do that when someone makes baseless claims that they want to believe are true. You just got caught in the crossfire.

gatti-man said:
You can keep waiting. Pc gaming guarantees that will never happen.

You are right the PC has been such a consistent and exemplary host for games on the absolute bleeding edge for the last 10 years, why would that rich vein suddenly falter.

FoxSpirit said:

This current gen has not been disappointing really, it's just that now, after 5/6 years of advancement, silicon has moved on (on the PC side).

Yes we have come a long way, but that could be done all over again soon when next-gen consoles arrive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
herzogzwei1989 said:
This current gen has not been disappointing really, it's just that now, after 5/6 years of advancement, silicon has moved on (on the PC side).

Yes we have come a long way, but that could be done all over again soon when next-gen consoles arrive.

Yep! Can't wait.

I'm wondering what direction MS and Sony is going to go, when balancing the cost for power and memory capcity, can we get the best of both worlds or they have sacrifice one for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom