• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

UrbanRats

Yoshichan said:
You guys need to realize that there must be a reason why they delayed SH HD to 2012 :)
They also have to add back the old voice acting.
I was actually confident in them fixing these issues, but after seeing the sloppy job on MGS hd, i'm not sure anymore.

Yuripaw

Banned
So it's been a few years since the last time I played through the MGS2 story, but I just beat it in the HD collection again, and I just wanted to express some stuff about it.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is still a classic game imo, and still groundbreaking in a lot of ways. It is the entry that made me the fan of the series I am today. It instigated thoughts in me that a video game never really had done before. I feel like there are still some flaws with it though.

I feel like this game made Solid Snake more beloved by fans than even MGS1 did, maybe that's just me. You couldn't play as him, and you wanted to when the game came out. I have since gotten over that, because I don't mind Raiden, but he still is much harder to relate to than Snake is I think.

There are just some problems I have with the game's story/characters after beating it again though.
One thing I can't seem to get over is how the game handles the character of Solidus. I think it would've been much more interesting to see him be a more sympathetic villain, because his goals to take down the Patriots aren't much more different than Snake and Raiden's goal in the end. Instead they just make him out to be too much like a replacement for Liquid, coming off as a villain you can't really side with at all based on his actions. I suppose to be ruthless enough to send children to war, he would have to be a real bastard, but I think it's regrettable that they made him a character like that to begin with. I guess I can't understand the motives of a person who would kill without purpose. It was kinda sad that he kills Olga, when she did not deserve to die.

Even though Solidus is such a bastard, I wish they at least gave him a brain. It never made much sense to me why Solidus still wanted to kill Raiden during the last boss fight. I think if Solidus had any kind of smarts, he would not have given into any sort of desire to kill Raiden just to go against the Patriot's plan. The whole fight feels like it's there just to have a final boss fight.

While I was playing it through this time, I paid close attention to the dialogue regarding the Patriots. I remember at the time, the whole game seemed completely off the rails and just a constant "what the fuck" moment, especially when they spoke about the Patriots. I followed it all pretty good, but I came to the conclusion that the final codec conversation that Raiden has with the AI Campbell was...not really necessary. At least in context with the later games it isn't. The AI was making it sound like the Patriots were some kind of weird higher being from the start, when we all know is was Major Zero and crew. I wish I knew if the whole story with the Patriots was Kojima's idea from the start, or if he just made it up as he went along.

I am still confused if the Rose talking to you during that codec conversation was the real Rose or not. It was always the things she said there that made me hate her character. It always made me frustrated with the ending, and think "I don't care if that bitch is carrying your baby, she's a fucking bitch and needs to be slapped". She was talking down to Raiden for basically being human. It sounds like it was the real Rose too, because she was bitching about the fact that "you never saw me for who I was" even tho she was deliberately pretending to be someone else. The shit she said just always pissed me off. Made me hate her character more than any of the sappy dialogue that is in earlier parts of the game.

That's just some stuff I wanted to get off my chest after beating the game again though. I hadn't really thought it about in a long time. Still looking forward to replaying MGS3, the best in the series.

Why are those Silent Hill pics in a Metal Gear thread? Why do people think those will be indicative of the final product, and are those even official? How do you know someone wasn't playing with the textures on the PC version and passed them off as official screens to fuck with everyone?

Back on topic, Peace Walker is pretty fun. It feels so much better than the PSP version thanks to the second analog stick. I heard that you can import music from the PS3 HD and play it on your Walkman in-game, is that true?

Erigu

RadioHeadAche said:
Why are those Silent Hill pics in a Metal Gear thread? Why do people think those will be indicative of the final product, and are those even official? How do you know someone wasn't playing with the textures on the PC version and passed them off as official screens to fuck with everyone?
Nope, they're official screenshots, amusingly enough.

AEGISX

Banned
UrbanRats said:
sh3_comparison.jpg

(top=ps3, bottom=ps2)
Gotta love Konami.

Let's hope they fix this shit.
I'm actually only interested in MGS3 and PW (haven't played PW yet), but still.
for real?
source?

Yuripaw said:
That's just some stuff I wanted to get off my chest after beating the game again though. I hadn't really thought it about in a long time. Still looking forward to replaying MGS3, the best in the series.
I haven't replayed MGS2 for a while, but it surprises me that whenever I beat it, I love it more and more. Solidus in particular is one of my favorites. I actually have the complete oppposite reaction to you in regards to him---I hate that he is the bad guy. I don't want to fight him. Everytime I'm at the ending, I want Raiden to drop his sword and join him.

Yuripaw

Banned
Vincent Alexander said:
I haven't replayed MGS2 for a while, but it surprises me that whenever I beat it, I love it more and more. Solidus in particular is one of my favorites. I actually have the complete oppposite reaction to you in regards to him---I hate that he is the bad guy. I don't want to fight him. Everytime I'm at the ending, I want Raiden to drop his sword and join him.
That's kinda exactly what I mean, they should be working together, but Solidus is such a stubborn idiot that he decides to fight him to the death instead. Of course, from Raiden's perspective I wouldn't want to join with Solidus because he's not afraid to kill someone in cold blood.

Yuripaw said:
That's kinda exactly what I mean, they should be working together, but Solidus is such a stubborn idiot that he decides to fight him to the death instead. Of course, from Raiden's perspective I wouldn't want to join with Solidus because he's not afraid to kill someone in cold blood.
I'll hopefully be replaying soon with the HD collection to re-orient myself. I do remember that final fight kinda feeling like a scene out of an 80s action movie, when as you said in reality you'd think one or both of 'em would've simply walked away. They had nothing to gain at that point from fighting each other.

The End is such an awesome boss fight. No feeling quite like getting the drop on him and holding him up.

I'm on the fury now. Less fond of this one, but holy shit the dynamic soundtrack shines in this fight. Beating him non-lethally is giving me some trouble, though.

autobzooty said:
I'm on the fury now. Less fond of this one, but holy shit the dynamic soundtrack shines in this fight. Beating him non-lethally is giving me some trouble, though.

Yeah that fight was always a bit annoying for me.

Leshita said:
I had that problem too and I do not think it is our receivers. It makes no sense for us to have to set our receiver to movie mode in order to have sound on the rear-right speaker. The default sound should be mixed in a way to not require sound simulation / weird mixing from our receivers. :S

I really hope they patch this issue because it is very distracting to me and makes the cinematics really crappy sounding (cheap sounding).

I agree and think it was pretty damn odd. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Any links or posts of others who noticed/affected?

Wow, I'm never ordering from gamestop.com again :
just got my 360LE at my door here in france and payed 43.5$ for customs, thanks UPS...I'm thankful though since they handled gamestop's shitty parcel (the game was in a box, just like that, no bubble wrap or anything and shipping was 29.99...are you kidding me ??) quite nicely as it got here pretty much unharmed...

the artbook is pretty nice but I feel kinda cheated the artbook isn't 450pages like the jp version is... (also I don't really care about PW art))

What the hell, GameStop?

My brother and I ordered two copies of the PS3 LE, with $40 shipping on top. (We're Aussies.)

After a surprisingly brief journey, the package arrives at our Antipodean (and therefore upside-down) house. Sweet! What does it contain? A packing slip for 2 copies of MGS HD LE, and ....

A single copy of Modern Warfare 3, Hardened Edition.

Better get our damn MGS LEs somehow.

creid

I've got a dumb question. Any way to transfer soldiers/weapons from my PSP save file to my new PS3 save file? I know there's a trade feature, I don't know if it's cross-system. Spent 70+ hours in Peace Walker on PSP and would like to save a bit of effort in my trophy hunt.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Re: those SH3 screenshots

I highly doubt that such an obviously bugged scene will make it into the final product. Half the geometry is missing!

Whether it came from an "official" source is beside the point; bad screenshots getting sent out by publishers is nothing new - typically its down to some kind of mix-up. Example: Junior employee gets given wrong/old build to take shots from, and their superior simply passes them on sight unseen because they are pushed for time.

People are fallible.

What the fuck is with Gamestop shipping people MW3? We've heard about this all over now, it's widespread. How many people have been fucked out of their LE preorders because of this?

Not everyone in the world wants that fucking game, GS.

creid

Also -- I thought I could walk silently using the d-pad in Peace Walker, but maybe that was just MGS3. Or did I imagine it? Is tilting the analog stick slightly the only way to walk silently?

randomwab

Really wish they'd added a pause function for codec and cutscenes. I just missed a ton of stuff because I was called away from the TV.

Ridley327

creid said:
Also -- I thought I could walk silently using the d-pad in Peace Walker, but maybe that was just MGS3. Or did I imagine it? Is tilting the analog stick slightly the only way to walk silently?
It is, but once you unlock the Sneaking suit, you'll never have to walk slowly ever again.

I heard the sea lice issue only occurs on non-backward compatible PS3s. Is this true?
If so, can anyone from PAL land that imported the game and has a 60GB PS3 confirm if the lice are present on Fortune's cut-scene?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TUROK said:
Wow at those Silent Hill pics. I'm so glad I own the PC version of Silent Hill 3. It still looks astounding to this day, much better than the PS2 version.
From what I've seen, it looks identical to PS2 version if it was running in high resolution (so PS2 version in PCSX2 basically)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ScOULaris said:
I haven't gotten to the Fortune fight yet to test out the lice, but I noticed the missing rope at the beginning. Feels bad, man
Actually I just checked this a little while ago and the rope is there for me. It's weird how it's inconsistent for people.

ScOULaris

InfiniteNine said:
80GB MGS4 Backwards Compatible PS3
Weird. That's the exact same model that I have. Did you have the rope both before and after patch 1.01?

I would really love to see some release notes for that patch.

survivor

Banned
Started playing MGS3 yesterday. I definitely love the ability to switch the two camera views. Plus the introduction of stamina, new radar equipment and the whole survival thing is pretty great.

I have one question about CQC. Is it even possible to sneak behind enemies and grab them before they turn around and notice you? It seems like every time I want to go and choke someone they always turn around at the last second.

survivor said:
Started playing MGS3 yesterday. I definitely love the ability to switch the two camera views. Plus the introduction of stamina, new radar equipment and the whole survival thing is pretty great.

I have one question about CQC. Is it even possible to sneak behind enemies and grab them before they turn around and notice you? It seems like every time I want to go and choke someone they always turn around at the last second.

Use the d-pad.

rvy

Banned
Watched a playthrough of MGS 2, LMAO at the invisible rope line during the tanker. Watching the soldiers drop down by grabbing the air is beyond amazing.

ScOULaris

rvy said:
Watched a playthrough of MGS 2, LMAO at the invisible rope line during the tanker. Watching the soldiers drop down by grabbing the air is beyond amazing.
More like CMAO (Crying My Ass Off). Even moreso because there isn't exactly a history of patching out these glitches in HD remakes.

rvy

Banned
ScOULaris said:
More like CMAO (Crying My Ass Off). Even moreso because there isn't exactly a history of patching out these glitches in HD remakes.
You no rike it?

1213931408924.jpg

Notice his almost perfect teeth, unlike most other Japanese developers.

Top Bottom