• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Characters I absolutely want in otherwise my interest may instantly be deflated:
  • Ridley
  • Samurai Goroh (I realize at this point considering F-Zero's status I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment)
  • Little Mac
  • Mega Man (Classic)
  • A Mario rep from any of the RPG games who isn't just Paper Mario (PM is the same Mario just in a different art style; really don't see how him with slightly more of a paper-gimmick and a hammer would be ideal over something like Fawful or a partner/villain from the PM games)
  • The return of everybody in Brawl, plus if possible Mewtwo and Roy (M2 since he represents a part of Pokemon I can actually remember/give a shit about and Roy since he's an FE Lord who doesn't happen to look like a reskinned Marth)

Characters I'd personally like but after the above am chill enough about to not mind if they're partially or entirely skipped over:
  • K. Rool (Alternating between different his 'King', 'Kaptain', 'Baron' and 'Boxer' identities) or Cranky Kong (Fights by a combination of over the top kong-fu moves and summoning elements such as barrels and bees from all three DKArcade games, all while complaining about 'games these days')
  • Jill Dozer (Something something Smash is a sausage-fest something something drills)
  • Isaac/Matthew (No idea how Goldensun for the DS did but Smash has a surprisingly small amount of magic users)
  • Lip (Repeat of Jill's explanation with drills replaced with flowers and summoning Panel de Pon Blocks. Extra points if you can move these pieces like an actual game of Tetris Attack)
  • Medussa (Balances the villain/hero ratio and can be both the first villainous and the first Smash antagonist to not have weight problems)
  • Tom Nook (Honestly surprised he wasn't in Brawl, considering most tools in the AC series could be pretty easily worked into attacks and he's the most iconic character)
  • Elite Beat Agents/however you spell their Japanese equivalent (Easily my favorite DS game after TWEWY, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns the rights so it'd be a neat mix-up to have a music/dance-focused fighter. Plus I'd like to see interest in the series rekindled so we could get another game on the 3DS)
  • Professor Layton (Not sure if Nintendo owns the rights to him or if Level-5 does, but either way the series seems to practically be synonymous with the DS so having a more passive and intellectual fighter could be a neat challenge for the team to develop)

Characters I really don't want to see but will probably get over pretty quickly to be honest:
Bowser Jr. (WOW SO BORING. People wanting Geno are subconsciously asking for him to lessen the chances this guy gets in. Only way I'd be happy to see him is if every other Koopaling was somehow worked in as a selectable character on-top of him)

KevinCow

Banned
Instead of Ridley, how about Mother Brain?

You just sit there in a glass jar, completely stationary, unable to do anything for the whole match except hope the environment kills the other players.

Azure J

Mike Jones
Takamaru

Lip
Issac
Isa/Katchi
Daisy
Toad
Ridley
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Lil' Mac
Kamek
Palutena/Medusa
Captain Syrup
Pushmo
Megaman
Simon Belmont
Neku Sakuraba

Bold are the important ones, italicized are crazy one offs that'd be so cool to see.

You just sit there in a glass jar, completely stationary, unable to do anything for the whole match except hope the environment kills the other players.
That's how my goldfish won a match once.

I still want my stupid little Koopa Troopa. Even if he'd most definitely be bottom tier quality.

Codeblue

Pick Big Blue or Rainbow Cruise with three other people and go make a sandwich.

I think the new smash game will have two entirely new characters new to the Nintendo Universe created by Sakurai, once exclusive to both the 3DS and Wii U version that the story mode will revolve around. New IP spin offs from there.

PokéKong

I think the new smash game will have two entirely new characters new to the Nintendo Universe created by Sakurai, once exclusive to both the 3DS and Wii U version that the story mode will revolve around. New IP spin offs from there.
That sort of already happened. Pit may as well be Sakurai's new baby.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still say eShop shoppingbag should be a character. He can summon orbs on a washing line and drop them on others heads. Wi-fi assistant as an alternative costume.

qq more

well they still had rad Mother music remixes and stages, so it's not completely ignored. if i want a five minute Earthbound demo I'll just instead pop in one of the three Earthbound cartridges I own in my SNES

WHAT THE.

I'M VERY JEALOUS RIGHT NOW.

That's what you deserve for having the audacity to have fun with a game in a way that a developer didn't mean for you to, and being disappointed in the sequel lacking that depth that you enjoyed. Shame on you. Also, tripping was praised highly as an innovative improvement to the gameplay.
Don't make me come over there and force you to wavedash and L-cancel.

but really, your post got a laugh out of me. good job. hope this doesn't come off as elitist circle jerking.

seriously geno is awful

but i always end up just buying the Smash games because they have a few Mother stages and characters, so my hope is... more characters from that series. I don't actually play this shit more than the handful of minutes it takes to see all the Mother stuff, so that's my hope.

the end
There seriously isn't any other Nintendo series you get even a twinge of nostalgia when you see it featured in the Smash series? I mean the main draw for me too is based more on nerd fan-service than game-play but I couldn't imagine consistently buying a game and its sequels just because an ever-decreasing percentage of it is devoted to a series I love. Doesn't help Mother officially ending decreases its chances for more content beyond stages and music.

A Mother-themed bar level which alternates between either The Runaway Five or DCMC play in the background would be fucking awesome though

I'd love to see some of the masks from Majora's Mask become usable items (and have somewhat different effects depending on which character wears them). Fierce Deity Mask could be the crazy-OP equivalent of the hammer from the original game, Pokeballs in Melee, or the Super Smash Attacks in Brawl.

i hope story mode is a 2-hour video of them making geno as a character and then deleting him because he's an unnoteworthy character from an overrated old game

Geno sucks but super mario RPG is a really good game ok. they should make Booster the playable character, though, and all of your attacks are hugs and kisses

fisheyes

Ultimate character list:

Little Mac: Punches shit. Doc Louis hangs around in the background. As Mac fights more, he loses stamina/ gets weaker, pressing b down or something makes Doc come out and towel him down to increase him back to full strength
King K. Rool: Uses moves from all his different personas. Looks creepy.
Ridley: Too big? Pfft. He's awesome.
Tingle: Is basically his own franchise now. And is awesome. Can change forms - balloon form and fighting-dust-cloud-form. The first gives him greater recovery but makes him lighter, the latter increases his power but he can only jump once or something. I don't know. I'm not a game designer.
Ghirarim: Because he's faaaaaabulous
Jill: Its a little girl in a drill mech. Moveset writes itself.
Ouendan Group / Elite Beat Agents: Fight in a group. Hit attack buttons at the right time to increase damage. Unlock costumes of different teams.
Scraggy: New Pokemon rep. Fuck Zoroark. Can't run for too long or his pants fall down
Toad in a Mario Kart: Mario RPGs don't need a 'rep', but everybody loves Mario Kart. Drives around. Uses Mario Kart weapons for attacks. Can damage enemies by running them over by just moving into them. I dunno. Would be super interesting.
Tom Nook: In his suit from late in the AC games. Basically acts like a mob boss.
The dude from Fossil Fighters: Nobody knows who he is - myself included - and I don't care. I want a character that rides a big ol' T-Rex. So he gets in. Good for him.
Glass Joe: Game's joke character. Possibly a Little Mac clone but without the Doc Louis gimmick, or maybe his own character. Either way, he's weak.

Megaman: Makes sense. But wait its Capcom so.... Megaman's dog.
Slime: Nintendo loves Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest loves Nintendo. Match made in heaven.
Pacman: I dunno, why not?

I win.

Kjellson

It would be cool if they brought back Young Link but his down+B being mask transformations from Majora's Mask. Final Smash = Fierce Deity Mask.

Brickhunt

It would be cool if they brought back Young Link but his down+B being mask transformations from Majora's Mask. Final Smash = Fierce Deity Mask.
I have an internal debate about the inclusion of Toon Link/Young Link.

I don't want more than two Links. SO I'm fine with any Adult Link, but Toon Link has a shit ton of charisma and I feel he deserves a moveset and selection of gadgets of his own games. But then Young Link has the masks... I think the solution would be fuck continuity and mix both. Wind Waker/Phanton Hourglass Link with Majora's Mask's....Masks. So we get Toon Goron/Zora/Deku/Fierce Deity Link.

The people advocating Paper Mario understand that he would be a straight Mario clone, right? It's not that he couldn't be unique, it's the fact that he wouldn't be unique. He'd be a simple recolor of Mario with slightly different stats.

Exhibit A:
Toon Link - Still a clone despite the "toon" games having a wide arsenal to choose from

Exhibit B:
Lucas - Still a clone despite being one of the premiere marketing characters for the game

Exhibit C:
Ganondorf - Still a clone despite not being connected to Captain Falcon in any way, possessing in-game any of his move set, and Zelda being one of Nintendo's largest and most important properties.

sn00zer

Exhibit B:
Lucas - Still a clone despite being one of the premiere marketing characters for the game

Sorta disagree with this...he the least cloney clone in Smash, he's how to do a clone right (all of his smashes work very differently compared to Ness, and his attacks while similar looking do very different things)....he is also my fav character

Kjellson

I have an internal debate about the inclusion of Toon Link/Young Link.

I don't want more than two Links. SO I'm fine with any Adult Link, but Toon Link has a shit ton of charisma and I feel he deserves a moveset and selection of gadgets of his own games. But then Young Link has the masks... I think the solution would be fuck continuity and mix both. Wind Waker/Phanton Hourglass Link with Majora's Mask's....Masks. So we get Toon Goron/Zora/Deku/Fierce Deity Link.
Bring out the Links!!

Link!
Young Link with masks!
Toon Link!
Wolf Link!

Links! Links everywhere!

DarkKyo

People may disagree but I think this in the same idea as an Ice Climbers-type 2-in-1 character would be awesome:
Ug34d.jpg

Wario universe could use another person..

Also...
ZcZbD.png

If she can race, she can fight.

Dr.Hadji

I'd hate to get too competitive Smasher here. But there are 1 too many Ice-Climbers as there is. Unless something changes I'd rather get Metaknight cheesed than suffer another ICs chain throw 0-death "combo".

Kjellson

Toad in a Mario Kart: Mario RPGs don't need a 'rep', but everybody loves Mario Kart. Drives around. Uses Mario Kart weapons for attacks. Can damage enemies by running them over by just moving into them. I dunno. Would be super interesting.
This is an absolutely brilliant idea. I would love it.

Now I'm gonna be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Pociask

So for Ridley - why not just include a giant class? Take big and slow to an extreme. There's precedent in the series. And of course, in Giant Mode, they'd be EXTRA Giant.

Who else would fit in a Giant Class of Characters?

Snakey

I am just hoping that all of Brawl's characters come back. I don't think anyone should be cut.

As to which characters I want to see the most:

Ridley
Ridley2.jpg

Mewtwo

Mewtwo.jpg

Roy
Roy1.jpg

Every other character I wanted to see in Smash Bros. was in Brawl, which is why I want to see most if not all of Brawl's characters return.

Snakey

I made some movesets for several of the more popularly requested Smash 4 newcomers.

The movesets I have are:
Toad
K. Rool
Ridley
Little Mac
Lip
Starfy
Mega Man

However, I am not sure if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I am not expecting a reveal for Smash 4 until E3 2013.

Exhibit C:
Ganondorf - Still a clone despite not being connected to Captain Falcon in any way, possessing in-game any of his move set, and Zelda being one of Nintendo's largest and most important properties.

I'm thinking at this point our best hope of getting a "Ganondorf" with his own moveset is either a new character of Pig Ganon or
Demise

illadelph

Glad to see some people supporting Toad. He may seem generic today, but back in the day, he was as significant as Mario, Luigi, Princess TOADSTOOL, Bowser, DK, and Wario.

Thores

The people advocating Paper Mario understand that he would be a straight Mario clone, right? It's not that he couldn't be unique, it's the fact that he wouldn't be unique. He'd be a simple recolor of Mario with slightly different stats.

Exhibit A:
Toon Link - Still a clone despite the "toon" games having a wide arsenal to choose from

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Fair points (sorta), but it's worth noting that one or more of these cases might have been different if the game had more development time. Sakurai's already mentioned that he's going to take his sweet time making 4 so he can do things right, and maybe that includes addressing/revamping some clones.

For the record, my vote for Paper Mario is for a unique character that isn't a clone. And also for the record, I already mentioned that I thought that was pretty unlikely.

Azure J

I want Rosalina to be throwing galaxies and planets, Gurren Lagann style...

I'd be so down for this if I didn't feel like Mario series would oversaturate the roster if I had my way. Daisy as Peach's Luigi/foil (highly athletic and hits like a truck - represents the Mario Sports titles as such with a Strikers alt), Toad (striker type of grab and chuck character, think Adon in SF4) and Rosalina with god mode space hax? So good.

PokéKong

I think we should think about stages a little harder. Not all that nonsense about random events occurring and balance for different characters, but they should approach the choice of locations with the same amount of thought in which characters are chosen. No more abstract concept levels, there are enough memorable locations in these games that we don't need junk like generic jungles or caves.

What is going on with Donkey Kong? Has no one at Nintendo actually played the DKC games? What was all the Ice Climbers moving platform nonsense we got with some Barrel Blast crap thrown in? And even in Melee there was that random raft on a waterfall near some jungle which may or may not be the one from a DK game. Why do they put raging rivers in DK stages? The games never have those. So there's something to fall into? DK lives in a treehouse on a tall perch, why not use that?

Second up is Metroid. At least we got Frigate Orpheon in Brawl, finally one Metroid stage which contains actual recognizable sights and sounds. But it was still one little part at the beginning Metroid Prime, how they can not be trying to pull any number of beautiful locations from Super Metroid is beyond me, not to mention attempting to emulate the the sound of music. What the hell was that track with some narrator dude talking about Samus while you're trying to have a fight? Did they rip that off of some promotional trailer for one of the Primes? Please, if they can't do justice to the music of Metroid, just give it to us straight. There are plenty of straight up 8-Bit songs from other games, can't we have some 16-bit too?

Glad to see some people supporting Toad. He may seem generic today, but back in the day, he was as significant as Mario, Luigi, Princess TOADSTOOL, Bowser, DK, and Wario.

I agree he certainly seemed significant to us back when he stood among the others in SMB2, but it can't be denied it has been diminished these days to just above the level of a random Goomba, and in hindsight his presence then was probably just as arbitrary as the Toads in NSMBW, we just didn't have as much to compare it to.

KevinCow

Banned
PokéKong;34814023 said:
What is going on with Donkey Kong? Has no one at Nintendo actually played the DKC games? What was all the Ice Climbers moving platform nonsense we got with some Barrel Blast crap thrown in? And even in Melee there was that random raft on a waterfall near some jungle which may or may not be the one from a DK game. Why do they put raging rivers in DK stages? The games never have those. So there's something to fall into? DK lives in a treehouse on a tall perch, why not use that?

Music Madness would make an awesome DK level.

Alternatively, Sunset Shore. Make all the characters silhouettes except for one solid colored feature: Mario and Link's hats, Samus's visor, Kirby's shoes, Pikachu's cheeks.

They really need to get some DKC2 music in there, too. Only the one song? Really? Bramble Blast is great, yeah, and if you're only going to have one song from DKC2, that's the one to go with. But you shouldn't have only one song from DKC2 to start with!

PokéKong;34814023 said:

Second up is Metroid. At least we got Frigate Orpheon in Brawl, finally one Metroid stage which contains actual recognizable sights and sounds. But it was still one little part at the beginning Metroid Prime, how they can not be trying to pull any number of beautiful locations from Super Metroid is beyond me, not to mention attempting to emulate the the sound of music. What the hell was that track with some narrator dude talking about Samus while you're trying to have a fight? Did they rip that off of some promotional trailer for one of the Primes? Please, if they can't do justice to the music of Metroid, just give it to us straight. There are plenty of straight up 8-Bit songs from other games, can't we have some 16-bit too?

I am very much in agreement with all of this, I always felt let down by the DK and Metroid music and stage selection. DK in particular got screwed, never forget that there are THREE versions of DK Island Swing/Jungle Hijinx in brawl. The Rumble falls stage has like no actual references to DK jungle beat and is a chore to play and 75M while kind of a nice idea just that isn't that fun a stage.
Then again both those series get odd treatment in smash considering their Nintendo pedigree, no doubt we can expect more lava for Metroid and more jungles for DK come SSB4.

If you wanted to move away from the constant jungle-tropes representing DK then you could have a side-scrolling mine cart stage from DKCR or the Gangplank Galleon from DKC2. A silhouette stage could be a nice way to represent Returns yet at the same time might wind up being yet another jungle stage. I thought DK was represented pretty evenly in Brawl though; you had the original arcade game, DKC (even though it looks nothing like it that was supposed to be Cranky's house in Melee/Brawl) and Jungle Beat. Each level from a significant part of the franchise's history, as opposed to Wario or until Brawl Yoshi where they acted like the characters didn't have anything other than Wario Ware and Story to pull from.

NeonZ

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Lucas isn't a clone. He reuses a few things from Ness, but most of his attacks are very different. And the other two suffer from a different problem. It seems like Sakurai fears completely changing the moveset of characters that already made it to the game, even if the original moveset wasn't ideal. Best example is Ganondorf, who only was added to Melee because his body built was similar to Captain Falcon's... In Melee, most of his animations and attacks were slower rips of C.Falcon's with extra effects. In Brawl, he got many new attacks different from the ones used by Captain Falcon... but they mostly worked in similar ways to his old cloned attacks anyway, rather than being based on the Zelda games.

Paper Mario would need completely different animations due to his very different body structure, with his 2d body and different animations style. They couldn't really reuse any of the work they've done with Mario. So, they'd need to go out of their way to make him similar to Mario. Although a character like Lucas is generally very different from Ness, he still reused some stuff from Ness, like the Final Smash, due to similar builds, but that just couldn't be done with Paper Mario.

The Boat

Lucas isn't a clone. And the other two suffer from a different problem. It seems like Sakurai fears completely changing the moveset of characters that already made it to the game, even if the original moveset wasn't ideal (like Ganondorf, who only was added to Melee because his body built was similar to Captain Falcon's).

I wonder why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom