• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

dude

dude
I will donate 15$ when I get home.

Personally, I don't really fall for the hype around Double Fine, they've yet to make me consider them fail-proof, and I've not been a fan of some of their releases. But, I have a deep trust in Ron Gilbert when it comes to adventure games, and we need new, fresh and innovative adventure games that aren't just based on nostalgia for the gold days of the genre - And Gilbert and Schafer strike me as a team that will look forward rather than backward.

So yeah. I will definitley donate.

EDIT: Done deal.

Sentenza

Personally, I don't really fall for the hype around Double Fine, they've yet to make me consider them fail-proof, and I've not been a fan of some of their releases. But, I have a deep trust in Ron Gilbert when it comes to adventure games.
Really? i know he's the father of monkey Island and all, but looking at their lifetime "portfolio" I have way more expectations in Tim Schafer than in Ron Gilbert, to be honest.

Oh, man. Gonna have to donate. Hopefully, it's a totally original work and not some sequel. Always wanted a beat 'em up crossed with a point 'n click game, but that's still a dream unfulfilled.

Anyway, good to see larger and more established developers go directly to the people whom they want to sell to. Not sure why some folks are upset about it. Let people decide, after all, fans spend loads of time wishing for things to happen that don't, and here's an opportunity to change that outcome.

Because no publisher is wanting to touch them in regards to pitching an idea about an old P&C adventure game. Isn't that what kickstarters are in the first place? To bypass the gap of corporations who wave the money in front of the creators and getting the end product out to those who support you in the first place.

I see no problem with this; I pay my dues and I get the game and Double Fine gain the money in advantage to help finance the creation of said game. There are differing levels of how much you want to contribute where you gain additional "prizes" for this.

If you read the text and watched the video you would understand why they are doing this and why it is reaching its financial goal in less than 12hrs. There is obviously an audience for the product but publishers who see the $$$ in shooters or whatever want otherwise.

Im sure they other way around it for them

Kickstarters really for them that cant get they foot in the door never mind fail pitching

Sentenza

I always wondered why biggers devs never did this for some games. A Dark Souls for PC Port Kickstarter would have probably worked out.
Well, I really, really tried to set that in motion, it went even better than I could dream of (RPS writing about it, Total Biscuit making a video, etc.), but then again looks like Namco just ignored the whole thing.

dude

dude
Really? i know he's the father of monkey Island and all, but looking at their lifetime "portfolio" I have way more expectations in Tim Schafer than in Ron Gilbert, to be honest.

I didn't play any of his more recent games, to be honest. But I love his Grumpy Gamer blog, and I feel like he has the right vision regarding games. Also, Monkey Island 2's credit gives him atleast a decade more of blind trust.

Schafer is great, he made some of my favorite games, but I always liked his "style" less than that of Gilbert (it's very clear to me in the diffrences between the first two Monkey Island games and the third game.) Also, Brutal Legend was horrible.

Jintor

I didn't play any of his more recent games, to be honest. But I love his Grumpy Gamer blog, and I feel like he has the right vision regarding games. Also, Monkey Island 2's credit gives him atleast a decade more of blind trust.

Schafer is great, he made some of my favorite games, but I always liked his "style" less than that of Gilbert (it's very clear to me in the diffrences between the first two Monkey Island games and the third game.) Also, Brutal Legend was horrible.

But Psychonauts and Grim Fandango were amazing, so it probably balances out.

Adnor

Banned
Wohoo! Just found about this ten minutes ago, backed five minutes ago and now it's funded :D

I hope Chuck the Plant it's in the game.

Gintoki

https://twitter.com/#!/amy_hennig/status/167550189513621504

2KXWL.png

Naughty dog approves.

Top Bottom