• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah costumes, since most characters were covered i'll Fill in the costume gaps from that list
Bowser: Dry Bowser
DK: Crowned DK (from 100% NPC Jungle Beat, oh yeah!)
Diddy: Dixie (assuming she wasn't in the game)
Kind Dedede: Masked Dedede (from Superstar ultra)
Meta Knight: Galactica Knight (also from SS ultra)
Ike: Radiant Dawn look (preferably this would be his new default, he also has alt promotion costumes from both his games)
Marth: I have no idea, I don't remember seeing any changes in Shadow Dragon
Ice Climbers: wearing outfits that look like Lolo and Lala maybe.

PokéKong

Are people really into Pokemon Trainer and would want more Pokemon Trainers? Does anybody play as them a lot of the time? The whole idea just feels silly to me, it just feels like a way to shoehorn three semi-developed characters into one slot. I don't feel like I'm acting as the trainer at all, just as nerfed versions of Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard on a time share. I would have rather gotten one of them as a single fighter than all three like that.

JazzmanZ

heres what I have for the characters, only two per since 5 seems overblown.

Mario - Dr.Mario and Tanooki Mario
Bowser - Dry Bowser and Dark Bowser (Mario and Luigi bowsers inside story)
Peach - Daisy and Sports wear
Luigi - Mr.L and Tanooki Luigi (in 3D land it's more like a fox)

Yoshi - Boshi and Paper mario ttyd design
Wario - Classic overalls and D.I.Y Top hat Wario
Donkey kong - Donkey Kong jr. (white shirt) and Funky kong wear
Diddy kong - Dixie and Boombox Diddy (bakwards hat, sunglasses)

Link - Twilight princess Zora and Rupee armor.
Zelda/Shiek - OoT design, Twilight princess (if smash uses skyward zelda/shiek design)
Ganon - Robed Ganon, Unused Oracle of seasons design
Toon link - Train conductor, Original clothing (Blue shirt with shrimp, no cap)

Samus - Dark samus and Original suit
Pit - Classic look, Armor pit
Ice climbers - Parka less, King dedede outfit
R.O.B - altered ancient minister design, unique steamlined look?

Kirby - any of his ability hats like sword, cutter, ice will do.
Metaknight - Maskless, Galacta knight
Dedede - Robot Dedede (from return to dreamland), Masked dedede
Olimar - Louie and the President.

Fox - Classic and Assault design
Falco - Assault and Classic design
Wolf - Classic and N64 venom battle design
Captain falcon - Blood falcon and Black shadow

Pikachu - Pichu and Raichu
Jigglypuff - Igglybuff and wigglytuff
Pokemon trainer - any two will do, main pokemon get no design changes.
Lucario - hard to say, considering Lucario probably won't come back next game.

Marth - Idk I don't play FE
Ike - ditto
Ness - Robot and Pajama ness
Lucas - I haven't played much mother 3 to say.

Mr.Game & Watch - permanent Octopus helmet and Fire fighter design
Snake - MGS 2 and MGS3 design duh
Sonic - Metal sonic and Shadow.

I really think the next SSB will have a gear system. For example, Link would have a variety of swords to choose from with varying properties (length, power, speed, etc) and you can customize your character this way and trade items through Street Pass or whatever.

I left out Shadow/Silver because I'm a decent human being. Dry Bowser was a bad omission though, Wedding Bowser/Peach too.

And 5/6 costumes wouldn't be overblown, because this is Super Smash Bros. NOTHING is overblown in Smash Bros.!

KevinCow

Banned
and doesn't allow for alts that basically make them another character entirely (although some of them are costumes belonging to very similar characters):
Why disregard this possibility? I think it introduces a lot of great options. Fire Emblem, especially; there are so many lords, you can't realistically give them all their own character slot. But make some of the quick and light swordsmen alt costumes of Marth, and the same for heavy swordsmen and Ike, and you've dramatically increased the fan appeal without a ton of work. They still have to make new models and make sure the animations work, but they don't have to make and animate new moves or go through all the hassle that balancing a new character entails.

Fans of the alts might feel a bit salty that their character didn't get a unique character slot, but it's better than not playing their character at all.

Also DK should have Funky as an alt.

Kjellson

Are those high demands?

I don't even want a single new character. I just want old stages and alternate costumes. If fans are capable of those things, I'm certain the Smash team is.

Believe me, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. Not after Brawl. Not after the Dojo.
SSBM has around 26 stages and Brawl has around 31. I would also love all the old stages, but it is a lot. I'm not excepting nor demands the return of all the stages just because fans have done it. And every character doesn't need a alternative costume, like Jigglypuff.

Look, I'm not saying it's stupid or anything to wish for all the previous levels, but I just find it unlikely and demanding it seems a bit too much for me.

qq more

If there's gonna be an alt for Sonic, it should be AT LEAST Classic Sonic. Fuck the lame edgy loser and the Trunks wannabe.

This probably won't happen :(

PokéKong

I'd like alt costumes to make slight modifications, almost being semi-clones. Like make Dr. Mario an alt costume, but implement the differences of the Pill move from the Fireball and such.

I think Wario is good, I was happy they went as far as including classic and WarioWare styles.
If they can switch between TP and SS style Links via costume that would be extra cool.
Samus NEEDS to have Power Suit, Varia Suit, and Fusion Suit alts. Perhaps even the Light Suit from Echoes if they wanna be extra nice.
Captain Falcon already has Blood Falcon.
Ike gets an appearance change in the story when he upgrades from Mercenary to Lord. I forget if he's the only FE Lord who this happens to.
Ness should have a Ninten alt with the different colors, hair, and neckerchief.
Lucas can have Masked Man.
If we can have Gekkos in Brawl, we can have Old Snake.

Why disregard this possibility? I think it introduces a lot of great options. Fire Emblem, especially; there are so many lords, you can't realistically give them all their own character slot. But make some of the quick and light swordsmen alt costumes of Marth, and the same for heavy swordsmen and Ike, and you've dramatically increased the fan appeal without a ton of work. They still have to make new models and make sure the animations work, but they don't have to make and animate new moves or go through all the hassle that balancing a new character entails.

Fans of the alts might feel a bit salty that their character didn't get a unique character slot, but it's better than not playing their character at all.

Also DK should have Funky as an alt.

The reason I said that was because, if you think about it, characters may look similar, but they too often have many different animation differences that help to define them. Dixie wouldn't move just like Diddy, for example. It's not necessary work, sure, but in a game like Smash where every little detail is pretty much spot on, it'd be jarring. I guess in the case of Fire Emblem characters, it could work... if only because I know fuck all about FE and wouldn't really care. But it'd kinda be like making one of Fox's alt models Wolf- it's not quite the same, it's not quite right.

DK with Funky costume, sure, that'd be fine. I'm not opposed at all to characters wearing other characters clothes, I just don't really want total model swaps.

SmithnCo

Classic Sonic is the perfect alt for Sonic. While they're at it, maybe they can make a more interesting Green Hill Zone stage, the one in Brawl is kinda boring.

Javier

Ah costumes, since most characters were covered i'll Fill in the costume gaps from that list
Bowser: Dry Bowser
DK: Crowned DK (from 100% NPC Jungle Beat, oh yeah!)
Diddy: Dixie (assuming she wasn't in the game)
Kind Dedede: Masked Dedede (from Superstar ultra)
Meta Knight: Galactica Knight (also from SS ultra)
Ike: Radiant Dawn look (preferably this would be his new default, he also has alt promotion costumes from both his games)
Marth: I have no idea, I don't remember seeing any changes in Shadow Dragon
Ice Climbers: wearing outfits that look like Lolo and Lala maybe.
This is when you resort to the original cover artwork.

WITrZ.jpg

Anth0ny

SSBM has around 26 stages and Brawl has around 31. I would also love all the old stages, but it is a lot. I'm not excepting nor demands the return of all the stages just because fans have done it. And every character doesn't need a alternative costume, like Jigglypuff.

Look, I'm not saying it's stupid or anything to wish for all the previous levels, but I just find it unlikely and demanding it seems a bit too much for me.

Oh, there's a 0% chance of it happening. That's obvious.

I'd just like it, is all.

Jigglypuff could have Wigglytuff. Pikachu could have Raichu.

Lets do this:

Mario - Doc
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Peach - Rosalina
Luigi - Mr. L

Yoshi - Boshi! (he's tough)
Wario - Overalls
Donkey Kong - Chunky Kong (impossible, he's tough too)
Diddy Kong - Dixie

Link - Assuming they are going with Skyward Sword Link, Twilight Princess Link or OOT Link
Zelda- Assuming they are going with SS Zelda, TP/OOT design
Sheik- Assuming she's in the game with a custom SS design, TP/OOT design
Ganon - Assuming they use TP design, OOT design
Toon link - Pajamas, Conductor costume

Samus - SA-X!
Pit - Classic look
Ice climbers - okay this is impossible =P. but they could think of something.
R.O.B - another impossible one.

Kirby - epic yarn kirby!
Metaknight - Galactica Knight
Dedede - No idea
Olimar - No idea

Fox - Star Fox 64 design
Falco - Star Fox 64 design
Wolf - Star Fox 64 design
Captain Falcon - Batman

Pikachu - Raichu
Jigglypuff - Wigglytuff
Squirtle- Wartortle!
Ivysaur- Bulbasaur!
Charizard- Aerodactyl
Lucario - Mewtwo! trollface.jpg

Marth - Roy
Ike - Roy!
Ness - haven't played Mother games but I'm sure there's something
Lucas - ^^

Mr.Game & Watch - uh...
Snake - Old Snake, Big Boss w/ eyepatch
Sonic - Shadow of course! (seriously, classic sonic)

Both Falco and Wolf were added toward the end of development for their respective games, with even Wolf being the last (or second-to-last) character added to Brawl (which is amazing considering that he was only four moves away from being a completely unique character, while Toon Link who was added earlier is perhaps the most cloney of Brawl's clones).

I get the impression that Wolf was added solely due to the gameplay popularity of the Star Fox cast in Smash Melee. Unlike most other newcomers in Brawl, Sakurai didn't even try to follow any kind of StarFox source material for Wolf's moveset (even though Assault had ground based gameplay with weapons and items that could have been referenced for his attacks), so I don't think he was added for actual Star Fox fans, but fans of the Smash versions of Fox and Falco.

Well that certainly helps my opinion that if Sakurai did add Krystal she, like Wolf, would be a character with a loosely Fox based move-set and stats set up so that Smash Fox Fans/ players can have even more options. Thanks! :D

Also, I think Sakurai at least knows now that Star Fox has more than enough characters
IDK about you but I have not the slightest clue as to how Sakurai picks any of these things. So for all we know he doesn't feel the need to make arbitrary limits on how many "kinda similar (Fox-Falco-Wolf)" characters a series gets.

Personally I think it's a mixture that's basically ...
What he finds interesting/ likes or thinks is popular/ cool.
What role does a character play in their game?
What he feels he has time to do.
How hard it would be to make this character.

I highly also doubt that Star Fox will be given the same amount of characters as Zelda.
You're saying LoZ wont get any new characters ... and that one would be cut? (it has 5 ... well 3 if you only count the non-clones)

And Pokemon has more playable characters than Mario so IDK why any series would make a cap on how many characters from an other series can get in :/

As to why it has more characters than Metroid, keep in mind Metroid is a series that only has two notable re-occurring characters, Samus and Ridley. After Ridley is added, I doubt another Metroid character will ever be added in Smash Bros. Metroid as a series simply is character scarce.
Samus
ZZS
Ridley

3 characters that could work in SSB ... from a series with a better track record and far better recent praise than Star Fox. That was my only point, I wouldn't expect Sakurai to start pulling random shit out of his ass just too beef up the number of characters from a series regardless of how important they are. Metroid only needs those 3 ... but somehow he decided against that with his logic and gave SF more.

The Kat/Falco flirtation was part of Star Fox 64.

Also, the Nintendo Power comics (and early versions of Star Fox 2) had Fara Phoenix.

So no, Krystal wasn't the start of romantic plot in the Star Fox series. She's an incredibly mishandled character with a lot of cringe-worthy plot who has also become a beacon for furries due to Nintendo's inexplicable desire to sexualize her in the Assault promo renders, yes - but she is a symptom of where Star Fox writing was heading anyway, and not the disease.
This.
Krystal didn't do anything to the series that it wasn't already doing to it's self.

KevinCow

Banned
As far as Metroid goes, I feel like Dark Samus isn't entirely out of the question. She (it?) is, after all, the titular character and ultimate antagonist of the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Ridley takes precedence, though. And if Dark Samus did get in, I'm sure they'd ignore all the potential for crazy Phazon attacks and Metroid summoning and just make her a Samus clone. Maybe better off as just a Samus costume.

SmithnCo

Marth looks fairly different in Shadow Dragon... The overall look isn't changed much but you can tell it's different. Ike would have an obvious one, probably his vanguard look from Radiant Dawn.

Ridley needs to be in this time. They fucked up in Brawl by not putting him in. He's one of the handful of memorable Nintendo characters missing from the games. Aside from him, I'm not really looking for anyone else from that series. Metroid is all about isolation (or used to be, anyway...), so the lack of reps isn't a problem. Samus (twice) and the big bad are all you need, really.

We just need more Metroid stages. Frigate Orpheon was a good start- next game, we need some Torvus Bog, Elysia, Pirate Homeworld, Wrecked Ship. Anything but more Norfair/Brinstar... and ideally not just the Bottle Ship. The potential for Assist Trophies is good too- have some of the NES Metroid sprites be available for that. Those little things that crawl around the platforms would be neat.

Kjellson

As for alternative costumes, I would prefer if they didn't change the actual character, but just the clothes or the look of the character. Having Funky Kong as a Donkey Kong alternative would be too much of a change imo.

JazzmanZ

If marvel vs. capcom 3 can get away by adding X, Taliban and the cat girl from battle circuit, I'm pretty sure having a Daisy or Funky kong costume alt wouldn't be out of the question.

KevinCow

Banned
I swear to god, if we get another cave with lava for a Metroid stage. There are so many amazing locales in the series, yet four of the five Metroid stages take place in big empty caves, and three of those have the rising lava gimmick.

Even back with Melee, before the series revival, there were plenty of options for a second stage. A Crateria stage, with Samus's ship in the background, occasionally floating in for use as a platform. Green Brinstar. Maridia. Bubbly Norfair. Tourian. Something besides big rocky cavern.

After the series revival, though? No damn excuse for ever having another rocky cavern with rising lava. You have everything from Fusion and the Prime trilogy to choose from. The dilemma should be, "How do we choose only two levels out of these?" and not, "We can't figure out what to do for a level, so let's resort to another rocky lava cavern."

Maybe they'll have someone on the team who's actually played a Metroid game before this time around.

Metroid was handled terribly in Brawl. They threw in the Prime stage, sure, but the rest was all "mainline" Metroid stuff. The Zero Suit, Norfair, even Samus's design (which just looked weird after the Prime game's fantastic Samus models). It was as if Prime hadn't won the awards, the fame. Really crappy.

SSB4 needs Samus looking like she's come straight out of Phaaze, joined by buttloads of Prime fanservice. And NO talking.

Metroid was handled terribly in Brawl. They threw in the Prime stage, sure, but the rest was all "mainline" Metroid stuff. The Zero Suit, Norfair, even Samus's design (which just looked weird after the Prime game's fantastic Samus models). It was as if Prime hadn't won the awards, the fame. Really crappy.

SSB4 needs Samus looking like she's come straight out of Phaaze, joined by buttloads of Prime fanservice. And NO talking.

Coming straight out of Phaaze you say... (Metroid Prime 3 spoilers I guess)
But yeah there needs to be far more Prime stuff in the next game, music, stages, moves, trophies and all that jazz.

I'd rather just see more Super Metroid stuff than Prime stuff.

But after 3 games of nothing but that, almost, I'd hope you'd understand why some people are getting a little sick of it.

I mean, Prime 1 was the best Nintendo game released between Melee and Brawl, right? It's a contender, it's pretty much that or Twilight Princess (not considering games released in late '07). It got snubbed by Sakurai. I have a feeling he ran Metroid stuff by Sakamoto.

I wouldn't count Waluigi in the "garbage pile," to be frank. I'm actually sad that the modding community couldn't get the playable Waluigi mod working.

qq more

Can we make a huge list of trash characters that get suggested for Smash Bros. So far I got Waluigi, Krystal, and Geno (though Super Mario RPG was great). Anyone got other suggestions for the "garbage pile"?
IkJ3K.png

First time I've disagreed with you in this thread, but I forgive you for trashing Geno and Krystal though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As far as Star Fox designs are involved - go blame Japan. Apparently according to Iwata people hated the "serious" design in Melee, Adventure and Assault. Though it seems Star Wolf managed to survive their Assault designs.

But after 3 games of nothing but that, almost, I'd hope you'd understand why some people are getting a little sick of it.

I mean, Prime 1 was the best Nintendo game released between Melee and Brawl, right? It's a contender, it's pretty much that or Twilight Princess (not considering games released in late '07). It got snubbed by Sakurai. I have a feeling he ran Metroid stuff by Sakamoto.

No, that was Mother 3.

I think Metroid Prime definitely should get some more representation, but it would be disappointing to see it replace the mainline Metroid stuff in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom