• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Busty

Banned
I did not realize this until I watched the final cut. And it's only there because my can of Special Brew is missing.

There should have been a signed picture of a Monk cradling a bottle of Buckfast next to it to truly represent the wide spectrum of 'non-Whisky' Scottish beverages.

"game-changing unlocks in return for level progression" is a plague that has befallen multiplayer shooters, with the only thing worse being "game-changing unlocks in return for actual money". The Halo franchise previously had a purity I likened to games like Quake 3. This news makes me extremely skeptical of Halo 4's multiplayer. I hate every shooter that stratifies abilities behind time investments.

When it comes to shooters, what franchises are left where the thing that separates new players from veterans is skill (and maybe aesthetic differences)? Gears, I guess...

"game-changing unlocks in return for level progression" is a plague that has befallen multiplayer shooters, with the only thing worse being "game-changing unlocks in return for actual money". The Halo franchise previously had a purity I likened to games like Quake 3. This news makes me extremely skeptical of Halo 4's multiplayer. I hate every shooter that stratifies abilities behind time investments.

When it comes to shooters, what franchises are left where the thing that separates new players from veterans is skill (and maybe aesthetic differences)? Gears, I guess...
I really feel like we know nothing about it, so it's hard to make a fair evaluative statement about it.

I agree. Hopefully they will have a "classic" playlist so we can have a more traditional experience.

Yeah, this doesn't sound good.

I've stopped playing BF3 completely because out of all the hours I have put in so far I barely have a good kit on my Engineer loadout, which I also have to do for both fucking sides for the starting two guns. Not to mention the countless things that kill me that I don't even come close to having.

Surefire way to alienate your older fans who can't put in hours of halo a day anymore.

def sim

Battlefield 3 limits certain abilities until a certain amount of games have been played in each class and it's the best multiplayer shooter this gen for me. I feel that the complaints for these systems is a big thing to be outraged about on the internet but isn't actually that big of a deal in practice.

REV 09

i read this thinking Gears, Gears, Gears...and then i saw "Gears, I guess...". Thank you for recognizing one of the few remaining great mp games. Too many people dismiss Gears.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I am really hoping that loadouts are weapons only. I would be totally ok with having a balanced choice between weapons/grenades instead of throwing armor abilities into the mix. :_\

Plus, all dat tech should have gone down with Reach amirite?

Alienups

My personal favorite as composer would be Bear McGreary but that probably ain't happening. Always thought he would be a good choice for Halo.

Absolutely loved his work on BSG.

Can't wait to hear who's composing.

Meh, bit too early to be concerned at this point tbh. We have no idea how it will be implemented and to what end.

Mik2121

I don't know how the convo around has been going, but I love the Spartan IV armors. They remind me a bit of Vanquish, but with a much better actual design.

This. I'm worried, outside of the flood being integral my buddies and I have been scared about perks and shit.

So dissapointed/worried. I loved the old gameplay, this is the death to large quake style gameplay for AAA

DarkChild

Banned
It looks damn good for a game where it's not one of the top priorities.
Yea I know, but thats what AAA games should do. Everything on top level. Bad facial animations and human faces like in previous Halos broke immersion so this is great news.

-PXG-

Seriously...

343 really wants to knock this out. I think they will too. I had no idea it was going to look as good as it does.

Izick

Yea I know, but thats what AAA games should do. Everything on top level. Bad facial animations and human faces like in previous Halos broke immersion so this is great news.

I agree, I'm just saying that was like L.A. Noire's number one thing. It was the most hyped aspect of the game, and who knows how much money was poured into that alone.

Perks are not Halo. That's all there is to it. You don't need character progression in Halo. People play it just because its Halo.

Reach tried it and the reason it didnt have the same following is because the ranking system sucks. Bring back the numbering system where everyone wanted to be a 50. Perks cannot be balanced, there is no way to do it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
As long as there are slayer and BTB playlists without perks, I'll be good.

Actually, options to disable or enable them in customs as well.

MrBig

hog.png

Why did the hog get a downgrade in tech? It has an axle now...

EvB

So, leggier Spartans and a an emphasis on their superhuman abilities, could we always jump this high?

Jump.gif

If they do that where it affects the gameplay like different guns, perks, or loadouts for x amount of XP or time invested, I'll consider picking up the game used when it goes on sale and I've bought every Halo at launch. Not every game needs to be CoD-fied to keep players invested (I'm looking at you Crysis 2).

The great part about Halo's MP is that it's one of the few games left where everyone jump in, new and vets, and be on the same playing field when it comes to guns and loadouts unlike CoD. I think Reach had a good combination of unlocks in the form of armor.

Mayyhem

URGH, I'm so hyped but there's still a while until it comes out. Seeing amazing footage like this just makes the wait until new footage that much more difficult

Nibel

I think that there is the possibility that the multiplayer is split up: perk based Halo and classic Halo. I would love that.

sp3000

Bungie was already moving in this direction anyway with Halo Reach's Armory unlocks/credit system, and the classes/loadouts and stuff.

That was purely cosmetic. Bungie had the sense to not include unlocks that actually affected the game. I really thank them for that because Halo Reach was the only FPS released in 2010 that had no stupid unlock progression.

I really am skeptical about this, and I'm pretty sure this is going to ruin competitive multiplayer, just as it did in Battlefield and COD. I really thought Halo would be the last bastion of the competitive arena shooter but it looks like the developers want to make it more accessible to the typical 12 year old who wants to be rewarded for his time investment, rather than his skill. It doesn't matter if it's even a 5 percent sprint boost or whatever. It still ruins balance and acts as a substitute for skill.

The playlist thing doesn't help, if there are 20 playlists with unlocks, and 1 classic playlist that doesn't have them, it doesn't really solve the problem.

This is confusing. The franchise closest to Quake this gen is COD but you're implying it's Halo. (It's so not)

Not even close. Halo shares far more in common with quake, from the emphasis on jumping around and dodging, to the lack of unlocks.

In fact, Halo shares the most in common with Unreal Tournament, especially the vehicle handling

def sim

I think that there is the possibility that the multiplayer is split up: perk based Halo and classic Halo. I would love that.

Splitting up their own game into two would bring some attention away from their own developed version and come off as a lack of confidence in their product. I'm sure there will be a classic playlist of some sort but nothing so drastic as you suggest.

Postman

Banned
Is it bad bad that soon as a saw the woman producer I thought to myself" well this will suck"

I feel bad for thinking that but its probably true..

Top Bottom