• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

TheOddOne

Halo Reach is a fantastic multiplayer shooter. Not perfect, but certainly superior in most regards to the games that preceded it.

Bloom gets a tough rap, but it's a mechanic that allowed Bungie to produce the most balanced weapon sandbox in the series. I'm interested and a little nervous to see how 343 handles weapon balance without bloom to keep some weapons from becoming too versatile (cough*BR*cough).

The game's only major weakness IMO, was that the maps out of the box were lackluster. That was addressed with DLC and some great community maps (notwithstanding the sameness of the Forge color palette).

These 'game changing unlocks' worry me. I would have much rather seen 343 perfect the balance between persistence and classic Halo gameplay in Reach than push even further toward CoD.
What? It only created randomness and unfair plair. Next to that the AA stuff introduced was terrible, Jetpacks and Armour Lock being the worst offenders.

Glad that the title update, by 343, fixed most of these issues but still are annoying because they where designed so poorly.

I wouldn't even be mad if 343 splits the game into two disks like ODST if it means more unique maps. Vanilla Reach got old really quick.

zethren

Banned
People getting bored/disliking Reach multiplayer need more Multi-Team in their lives.

That playlist is serious fun.

DarkChild

Banned
Yo Frankie;

iboHDveWXKZwmQ.gif

Confirm or deny?
Did they hire some Crytek staff? This looks very similar to beginning of C2.

Damn! How did I miss this. Master Chief looks fantastic and the lighting in the desert is really great. I have been missing me some Halo. Its also exciting that they seem to be focusing on fleshing Master Chief out some more.

DR3AM

No more Armor Lock?

OHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAA

Ohhh and cant wait for E3

edit: MORE FOOTAGE TONIGHT?
Tonight 6:30PM ET on #Xplay: Master Chief is back! All NEW Halo 4 footage from @HaloWaypoint. You want it, we’ve got it.

What? It only created randomness and unfair plair. Next to that the AA stuff introduced was terrible, Jetpacks and Armour Lock being the worst offenders.

Glad that the title update, by 343, fixed most of these issues but still are annoying because they where designed so poorly.

Yeah, I've heard the argument against bloom. My stance has always been that bloom gives you the choice to play as you want, and deal with the consequences. Using the weapons for their INTENDED ROLE within the sandbox, delivers ZERO variability. Taking the weapons OUT of their role, leads to reduced accuracy and variability.

Let's take the DMR. You have a choice: You can choose to line up your shots with the bloom, delivering 100% accuracy at a reduced rate of fire. The ROF that delivers perfect accuracy decreases at distance, preventing the weapon from being as effective at range as it is at mid-range, while keeping it useful for perstering and anti-sniper defense.

At short-range, you have taken the DMR OUT of it's intended role within the sandbox. You are using a mid-range weapon in a short-range conflict. As such, you have the choice to keep timing your shots to the bloom, delivering less damage per second than the short-range weapons you might be up against. Or, you can choose to hammer the trigger, and increase your potential DPS, but decrease your accuracy and introduce chance into the equation.

The choice is yours. Use the weapons properly, in the roles they are intended, and adjust your tactics to fit the weapons you are carrying, and you'll never miss a shot because of bloom. Stretch the bounds of the weapon's functionality, and you are rolling the dice. This is how all weapons work, and it ensures that some weapons (pistol, BR, etc) do not dominate across all encounters.

He's goatse'ing that ship good

I'm excited to see cortana go through rampancy... But then watch as 343 finds a way to make her human D:

you might be onto something here...

(MAJOR Primordium/Halo Universe Spoilers)
the composer was used to turn chakas (a human) into 343 (an AI/Monitor). what if the major story arc ends with a twist on that. i.e. the only way to save cortana is to use the composer to somehow turn her back into a human or some variation of composer, ai, human, etc.
(^MAJOR Primordium/Halo Universe Spoilers^)

I tried paging through all of the responses but I didn't see if there has been any mention of splitscreen play online?

The only thing that worries me about loadouts and unlockables is that I won't be able to take my buddies online with me. Reach got really difficult to play when I could only play a handful of playlists with more than two local players. I really hope that 4 amends this.

But sweet jesus if there isn't splitscreen online...

Yeah, I've heard the argument against bloom. My stance has always been that bloom gives you the choice to play as you want, and deal with the consequences. Using the weapons for their INTENDED ROLE within the sandbox, delivers ZERO variability. Taking the weapons OUT of their role, leads to reduced accuracy and variability.

Let's take the DMR. You have a choice: You can choose to line up your shots with the bloom, delivering 100% accuracy at a reduced rate of fire. The ROF that delivers perfect accuracy decreases at distance, preventing the weapon from being as effective at range as it is at mid-range, while keeping it useful for perstering and anti-sniper defense.

At short-range, you have taken the DMR OUT of it's intended role within the sandbox. You are using a mid-range weapon in a short-range conflict. As such, you have the choice to keep timing your shots to the bloom, delivering less damage per second than the short-range weapons you might be up against. Or, you can choose to hammer the trigger, and increase your potential DPS, but decrease your accuracy and introduce chance into the equation.

The choice is yours. Use the weapons properly, in the roles they are intended, and adjust your tactics to fit the weapons you are carrying, and you'll never miss a shot because of bloom. Stretch the bounds of the weapon's functionality, and you are rolling the dice. This is how all weapons work, and it ensures that some weapons (pistol, BR, etc) do not dominate across all encounters.
This doesn't factor in at all because at short range the bullets are going to hit your target no matter how fast you spam the trigger, even with bloom.

ElRenoRaven

No more Armor Lock?

OHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAA

Ohhh and cant wait for E3

Tonight 6:30PM ET on #Xplay: Master Chief is back! All NEW Halo 4 footage from @HaloWaypoint. You want it, we’ve got it.

I can guarantee you that it will be footage taken from the new vidoc. That's G4's mo. They've already got footage on the site that is labeled as gameplay and it's the gameplay stuff ripped from the vidoc. So I bet you that is what we'll see.

Falagard

Again, 343 has been clear in saying it is NOT CoD and does not want to be.

Sorta. From what I read, it's more like they said (paraphrasing of course):

Gamers expect certain features in their FPS games, because the big games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have them, and since that's the way the industry is trending, we have to implement something that is comparable in Halo 4.

It won't be the same as Call of Duty, and it'll be done in our own way, but it most certainly is inspired by the trends of the industry.

BuzzJive

The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example

Ugh. I hate this type of system and feared this would happen when Bungie handed it over.

No thanks 343.

I loved bloom as a new wrinkle in Reach's gameplay but Ghaleon's essays on the purity of Halo's close range engagements swayed me quite a bit.

Anything that reduces spray-and-pray and rewards keeping your cool in a firefight is good in my book, whatever those mechanics or tweaks might be.

DarkChild

Banned
I can guarantee you that it will be footage taken from the new vidoc. That's G4's mo. They've already got footage on the site that is labeled as gameplay and it's the gameplay stuff ripped from the vidoc. So I bet you that is what we'll see.
If they do that, they should be banned from Internet for serious trolling.

Gamers expect certain features in their FPS games, because the big games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have them, and since that's the way the industry is trending, we have to implement something that is comparable in Halo 4.

It won't be the same as Call of Duty, and it'll be done in our own way, but it most certainly is inspired by the trends of the industry.
Hopefully that means there are some destructible environments in Halo 4.

This doesn't factor in at all because at short range the bullets are going to hit your target no matter how fast you spam the trigger, even with bloom.

IMO, that's extreme close range like, insta-kill shotgun distance. At short range, the bloom circle still grows outward to the point that there is still plenty of space for bullets to miss the target.

All this being said, I agree that bloom wasn't perfect. Had it been implemented as well and intelligently as it was in ShadowRun, it don't think anybody would have had the issues they do with the mechanic.

Ideally, the bloom on the precision weapons would grow outward FURTHER, but retract quicker. This would ensure that hammering the trigger at any range was a pointless endeavor, but the weapon would still provide an ideal cadence with decent DPS.

Personally, I tend to carry the DMR and the AR around, replacing the AR with the shotgun if available. Defeating spammy DMR users at short range with the AR is one of the more satisfying things you can do to players who think of themselves as elite.

Booshka

If you wrote this argument in reference to how bloom and the shooting mechanics work in Shadowrun, I would agree. Reach didn't take it far enough. If you are trying to fight someone with an SMG at close range while using a Rifle in Shadowrun, you will lose almost all of your fights, but it makes sense for the weapon balance.

In Reach, even in close range, a DMR can best an AR a good amount of the time, it's just a sloppy fight. Same goes for 100% bloom DMR vs DMR fights at close to medium range, they are sloppy and inconsistent. Reach tried to go half way with the weapon balance and its implementation of bloom; it doesn't work. Bungie should have gone even further with bloom and the gun mechanics to make it so that the weapons really did have roles or just scrapped it altogether and make it more like previous Halo games. The way Reach handles it is very poor, it sounds good in a forum post or a developer interview, but if you spend some real time playing the game, it's terribly executed.

Falagard

Hopefully that means there are some destructible environments in Halo 4.

Not sure if they mentioned Battlefield specifically, only Call of Duty and industry trends. I wouldn't expect destructible environments any more than Halo already had, especially not to the level of Battlefield.

Not sure if they mentioned Battlefield specifically, only Call of Duty and industry trends. I wouldn't expect destructible environments any more than Halo already had, especially not to the level of Battlefield.
2nd level: Unlock Jumping.
3rd level: Unlock Melee
10th level: Unlock Grenades
20th level: Unlock Jetpack
30th level: Unlock Pelican Resupply
40th level: Unlock Orbital Bombardment

Zeal

Banned
Whatever you guys do, keep those beastly fucking sound effects on the new BR. They weren't joking about making the armor sound like jet fighter. Also love the new scope design on the gun...very futuristic.

This is some ace sound design.

2nd level: Unlock Jumping.
3rd level: Unlock Melee
10th level: Unlock Grenades
20th level: Unlock Jetpack
30th level: Unlock Pelican Resupply
40th level: Unlock Orbital Bombardment

Unless you preorder at Gamestop, in which case you get Melee and some sweet grenade decals right off the bat.

Nuborn

Have a hunch that the super early cinematic stuff in there is escaping from the Forward Unto Dawn. Honestly can't wait to see how awesome that bit is in the final game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

waypoint says the following Re' this - "If television is your preferred method for staying up-to-date on the latest video game news, tune into X-Play tonight at 6:30 PM ET where they'll be discussing the return of the Chief."

no mention of new footage. dont get your hopes up, its just xplay reusing todays footage as "new"

Petrichor

I would really love to see the flood in this engine.

(DON'T KILL ME)

But honestly, it makes more sense for them to return as enemies than it does for the covenant to return.

Vire

"Characters are now fully customizable in multiplayer; Spartans will have load-outs. The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example."

I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS EARTH ANYMORE.

i disagree, counter-strike:go doesn't have perks, and I think it's going to do just fine. Just because other developers are sheep, doesn't mean 343 has to be. Cmon 343, step up and be original.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
"Characters are now fully customizable in multiplayer; Spartans will have load-outs. The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example."

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

And please no Flood or anything like it.

If you wrote this argument in reference to how bloom and the shooting mechanics work in Shadowrun, I would agree. Reach didn't take it far enough. If you are trying to fight someone with an SMG at close range while using a Rifle in Shadowrun, you will lose almost all of your fights, but it makes sense for the weapon balance.

In Reach, even in close range, a DMR can best an AR a good amount of the time, it's just a sloppy fight. Same goes for 100% bloom DMR vs DMR fights at close to medium range, they are sloppy and inconsistent. Reach tried to go half way with the weapon balance and its implementation of bloom; it doesn't work. Bungie should have gone even further with bloom and the gun mechanics to make it so that the weapons really did have roles or just scrapped it altogether and make it more like previous Halo games. The way Reach handles it is very poor, it sounds good in a forum post or a developer interview, but if you spend some real time playing the game, it's terribly executed.

It's true that DMR vs DMR battles can get a little messy. Bungie stated during development of the game, that they wanted gun battles in Reach to be a little 'messier'. Longer, more drawn-out, dramatic encounters, with players doing more than simply running at each other and shooting, hoping to get the melee kill.

I agree that ShadownRun did it better than Halo Reach. But I maintain that Reach has the most balanced weapon sandbox in any of the Halo games, where every weapon is useable and effective is used properly. It's the first Halo game since Halo: CE where I see EVERY weapon used frequently, and my own weapon usage stats include every weapon as well.

I believe bloom, and the way it reduces the efficacy of weapons outside their intended roles, is a big reason why you see players opting to use more of the weapon sandbox. There isn't a single weapon in Reach I feel helpless with. Compare that with Halo 2 or Halo 3, where I felt naked without a BR.

I hope whoever wrote that sentence is never allowed near a keyboard again. SMH

Sean

Banned
Ugh. I hate this type of system and feared this would happen when Bungie handed it over.

No thanks 343.

Bungie was already moving in this direction anyway with Halo Reach's Armory unlocks/credit system, and the classes/loadouts and stuff.

I doubt it will be anything as extensive or integral as COD's system.

At least it better not be.

Bungie was already moving in this direction anyway with Halo Reach's Armory unlocks/credit system, and the classes/loadouts and stuff.

Ideally, they'll use that as the foundation and address the issues of a pretty solid concept, instead of abandoning what Reach did and jumping further down the COD rabbit hole.

Top Bottom