• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

MrBig

while that hallway isnt terrific looking, surely you have seen the rest of that map? its incredibly detailed, considerably more then condemned, from reach, which i thought looked quite detailed in its own right. the DOF isnt helping either. chalk it up to a bad shot.
I in no way said the rest of the map was bad. I posted an image and was referring specifically to it.

Pre-alpha build. Polish is what you will see near the end of devlopment. And it'll be incredible from here on out.

You don't usually go through and completely UV/texture everything in a scene to the degree that this had been, and then come back and up the polycount. Especially not at the end of development.

I absolutely love the art style. It takes from and expands on the clean lines and artistic stylization of realistic things of Halo 3 and, with the amazing new lighting, it just look fantastic.

Lingitiz

So, Reach was by the best studio on the planet. H4 is by a new studio. How can that be reassuring? :p

Well I think the amount of good talent at 343 is assuring, there are a bunch of people there that could be leads at any other developer. Plus, its really the first time a studio has been built for the ground up for a specific game/franchise in mind. Its going to help alot in the MP side, where I feel Bungie started to lose sight of what the fanbase wanted. It became a bit obvious that they were burnt out and lost that passion for Halo. I have faith in 343 because right now they have that hunger to prove they can handle Halo, and they have the talent to do it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So, Reach was by the best studio on the planet. H4 is by a new studio. How can that be reassuring? :p
Haha, no. The amount of vitriol Reach got solely from HaloGAF alone disagrees with you. Don't get me wrong though Bungie is a good dev studio, but definitely not the best.

And personally I believe the 343 super team trounces Bungie.

I have some major complaints.

The notion of a perk system is really fustrating. Unless it's completely cosmetic, this will be the first halo game where I wont be playing the multiplayer. I understand that while others might appreciate a perk system, I've always seen it as a means to create an unfair playing feild.

So unless there's a gametype that's devoid of perks, i wont be stepping foot in the multiplayer arena.

and the lighting is really annoying, it's halo, i want some massive sexy skyboxes not these washed out skies, and all this weird colour grading. I'd rather the game have crisp, clean visuals, not all this mucky lighting, and light spots, and other crap in the way.

I really want to see more.

and I'm fairly sure Reach has HDR as it was in Halo 3, I just can't remember specific instances of it as I haven't played the game in a long while.
It was definitely toned down quite a bit in Reach.

Haha, no. The amount of vitriol Reach got solely from HaloGAF alone disagrees with you. Don't get me wrong though Bungie is a good dev studio, but definitely not the best.
HaloGAF isn't that monolithic.

szaromir

Banned
Well if this is the best the 360 can produce, Halo 5 on the NextBox is going to looking utterly beautiful.

Eh, I got the impression we have yet to see the best of Halo 4. And nextgen Halo will take a while to get momentum the same way it did this gen.

The difference between Halo 2 and Halo 4 is going to be huuge, I can't believe people were talking about diminishing returns back in 2005 when talking about next-gen.

And personally I believe the 343 super team trounces Bungie.
Reach wasn't exactly their best work I'd agree, but still they created my favorite video game series (and Marathon and Myth before that).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

The notion of a perk system is really fustrating. Unless it's completely cosmetic, this will be the first halo game where I wont be playing the multiplayer. I understand that while others might appreciate a perk system, I've always seen it as a means to create an unfair playing feild.

So unless there's a gametype that's devoid of perks, i wont be stepping foot in the multiplayer arena.

and the lighting is really annoying, it's halo, i want some massive sexy skyboxes not these washed out skies.

I really want to see more.

Well, cosmetic only perks would be more inline with the Reach system but they compared it more to CoD's.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-05-halo-4-perks-system-introduced
Both O'Connor and creative director Josh Holmes acknowledged that the change could prove controversial amongst Halo's community. "I expect a variety of different reactions," Holmes told Eurogamer, "One of the great things about Halo is we have the ability to support a variety of different play styles and play lists, create experiences that cater to different player types and community desires."

I'd bet on playlists that are "vanilla" Halo

And has been mentioned more times that I can count, 343 has not compared the perks to CoD in the slightest. They've been vague on them completely.

daedalius

Well, cosmetic only perks would be more inline with the Reach system but they compared it more to CoD's.

I believe they meant that they don't really want to compare it to anything, because they want to make it their own.

However, I'm not really sure what they could add in between cosmetic stuff and CoD perks that wouldn't affect the basics too much.

and the lighting is really annoying, it's halo, i want some massive sexy skyboxes not these washed out skies, and all this weird colour grading. I'd rather the game have crisp, clean visuals, not all this mucky lighting, and light spots, and other crap in the way.

I'd put that down to the vidoc being from a pre-alpha. It's easy to forget that given how polished/refined it looks in general, I admit.

That is certain.... It will be glorious with the team they have now. System seller guaranteed.

This so much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I in no way said the rest of the map was bad. I posted an image and was referring specifically to it.

didnt say you did. in fact, i said "chalk it up to a bad screen shot"

El_Chino

H4.png

And to show how far we've come:

5d760439.jpg

The Chief is getting old.

MrBig

I very much doubt they wouldn't have "classic" playlists that retain the level playing field with no loadouts, no perks, and no player defined weapons.

Some of these announcements sound outstanding.

Some of them sound TERRIBLE.

Variable weapon spawns? Ugh.

Customizable weapon loadouts? Keep your CoD outta my Halo!

That said, I love the idea of creating a better sense of weight, the return of the BR, and the idea that different armors will have noticeable impact on your play-style (eg bulkier armor lets you take more damage, but move slower?)

Stat!

No beta is kinda disappointing but I'm sure it'll be solid nonetheless.

Curious, maybe it's just me, but never do they mention the 360 as the console its being developed for? Xbox 720?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
anyone know what those 3 boxes in the upper-right hand corner of the hud is?

i have this very very very weird and likely wrong theory that they are for armor features in replacement of grenades!

that or they are just grenades, i think!

it's hard to say because in this game, we aren't fighting the covenant so there goes 2 grenades... will they show up? who knows! doubt they'd stick with a frag grenade and napalm like in halo 3.

maybe grenades work like guns in this game? :p

or maybe... they are decoration

LordAlu

anyone know what those 3 boxes in the upper-right hand corner of the hud is?
Personally I think they are for different grenade types. You could get frag, plasma and incendiary grenades previously so I suspect they would appear there if you have any of them. Maybe even new grenade types.

This is my speculation of course. Likewise I think you earn points in the game mode shown based on the medals you earn, as each medal has a number associated. During the footage a red Spartan dies and two medals appear with the number 5 for each, and the score at the same time increases by 10.

Izick

Sounds fine as long as they're something like BR or AR. Let some bad kid spawn with his AR, what do I care?

Yeah, why can't they have it so that you can customize some of your load out weapons, and have power weapons across the map as well? I mean, they were moving this way somewhat with Reach.

And of course they'll have the same old, same old for the "hardcore" fans with no customization what so ever.

Tunavi

Banned
For Reach, Bungie changed the core elements of Halo Gameplay and put a classic overlayer on it.

Seems like with Halo 4, 343 is keeping the core elements classic and new additions are only a minor overlayer.

If this is true, 343 is doing it right.
If they announce the return of loadouts, I will not be happy.

Sounds fine as long as they're something like BR or AR. Let some bad kid spawn with his AR, what do I care?

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. As long as it's a choice between starting, utility weapons, then it could work.

For example, I would love to start with a BR and AR, instead of a BR and pistol, on smaller maps with the AR could come in handy.

My hope is that any perks or armor affects are CLEARLY visible from a distance, so that I can react and strategize in battles, rather than just be surprised when some guy pulls a dive-roll or an armor lock out of his ass.

Max

I am not Max
Colour me hyped

Even though I haven't used my 360 in months, I'll always be here for you, Halo

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. As long as it's a choice between starting, utility weapons, then it could work.

For example, I would love to start with a BR and AR, instead of a BR and pistol, on smaller maps with the AR could come in handy.

My hope is that any perks or armor affects are CLEARLY visible from a distance, so that I can react and strategize in battles, rather than just be surprised when some guy pulls a dive-roll or an armor lock out of his ass.

They could have perk icons next to the players gamertag in the scoreboard. That might help.

If Halo 4 expands upon the co-op and firefight modes I've come to cherish I honestly don't care what they do with the competitive multiplayer bits.

that sounds very reasonable

Top Bottom