• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY Announced for North America and Europe for Summer 2012

I wish this is either on 3DS or iOS. I dont think I will end up buying 3DS and I think this game has a huge potential on iOS if priced right for the platform.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright proper thoughts from my cellphone. . . (I was up super late last night doing raids in Final Fantasy XIV)

Honestly I think this is a must get for any Final Fantasy fan even if you're not a fan of rhythm games. Its an absolute trip of nostalgia going thru each title and its choice songs/events. And in terms of challenge, the hard mode gets to be pretty crazy. Don't let the easy/normal songs fool you! There's also lots of great little nods with the different themes in each menu. IE the party select theme is based off of FF6s.

That said, it was a great feeling doing FF8s "Waltz for the Moon" and seeing the FMV itself + a little more. (to note they also looking really good on the 3DS) I put it a ton of playtime during the downtime when I went on vacation, I'm not really sure how many hours I put in. . .

And in terms of DLC, songs were 150y a piece and each one was about 40-50 blocks.

King_Moc

Banned
Yessssssss!!!

Impressive that it makes me react in this way, I'm on the first day of my wrestlemania holiday, wooooooo!!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Been waiting for this for a while. Good to read positive impressions from importers.

Reluctant-Hero said:
And hopefully NOA with give us Fire Emblem too!
That Japanese FE bundle looks so tempting. I almost want to stop listening to my brain and go ahead and import it. Almost.

Neiteio

These vids sold me on the game:

Theme of the Empire (FFXII) -- Previously linked in this thread, I hadn't heard this theme before (I've only played FFVI and Tactics Advance), but it's amazing how intuitively the inputs match the melody.

Terra's Theme (FFVI) -- One of my all-time favorite videogame songs. This video exhibits a different approach, visually, from the one above, with a character moving right to left.

One Winged Angel (FFVII) -- And this one exhibits a different visual approach as well, with four characters in combat against a boss. It's a higher difficulty... Looks intense!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Why do people keep repeating Ouendan. It's not like Ouendan at all.

They are probably drawing conclusions to it since it seems to be in a similar playstyle i.e. touch the screen at the beat, "drag" the cursor at certain segments. It may not be Ouendan in a Final Fantasy skin, but it is probably better to insist that it plays slightly similar while being in its own format. After all Ouendan is one of the better rhythm games out there and half of that enjoyment came from how it was played.

Somnid

Why on Earth if they are localizing the game wouldn't they release all the DLC? It's not licensed, Square-Enix owns all of it.

Thoraxes

List me a few tracks! Just realized that my ps3 was using my shitty monitor speakers for the past month. That's probably why FF13 was less than memorable lol.
Mecchanical listed some good ones, and some others I would check out (I love short, motive-based, thematic music so maybe it's why I find things more easy to remember)

This is a list of my personal favorites (excluding the ones Mecchanical listed though) (Note that a few of them are variations based off the Nova Crystallis theme):

Will to Fight, Saber's Edge, Nautilus, Gapra Whitewood, Sulyya Springs, Nascent Requiem, The Promise, Lightning's Theme, The Sunleth Waterscape, Dust to Dust, Fabula Nova Crystallis

The main difference between this and Uematsu music is that Hamauzu's scores are primarily motivic and ostinato based (there's some melodic pieces in there too) while Uematsu's is almost all pure traditional melodic-based music with classical structuring to his phrase groups.

I love them both though, just one more than the other
(Also, I totally sang One Winged Angel with Uematsu conducting at the Distant Worlds concerts in Chicago last June :D

Also, if there's more you would be interested in looking at, I would highly recommend listening to the piano collections albums for FFX and FFXIII. Hamauzu did all of the piano arrangements for both albums. In the FFX album, he arranged works by himself, Uematsu, and Nakano; while in the XIII album he arranged all his own pieces (so there's less variation here than in the awesome FF X Piano Arrange album). The pieces are infinitely more enjoyable too if you have a decent subwoofer.

Yesssssss This is incredible!!!!

Also, i'm a fan of Uematsu's rocker-phase he's in right now. The Earthbound Papas album was super cool.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, FFXIII (and XIII-2)'s OSTs are amazing. So many great tracks.

Helps if you've played the game, of course. Context.

Javier

For those who have played the Japanese version, how does DLC work on the 3DS? Do you have to go to the eShop or is there an in-game DLC menu?

Neiteio

What's the 3D like in this game? Is it simply layer separation with the sprites and such, like the menus on SSFIV? Are the FMVs from past Final Fantasy games re-rendered in autostereoscopic 3D?

Thoraxes

What's the 3D like in this game? Is it simply layer separation with the sprites and such, like the menus on SSFIV? Are the FMVs from past Final Fantasy games re-rendered in autostereoscopic 3D?

I think I read that the video is the back layer and the inputs are on top of that.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong though.

Neiteio

I think I read that the video is the back layer and the inputs are on top of that.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong though.
That would be fine. I'm just curious because they can do some nifty things with layers. The menus in SSFIV look so delicious.

zashga

Excellent news! It would've broken my heart if this game had stayed in Japan. Region locking is the worst thing in the
first
world.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Another game that made me wish the 3D didn't make me nauseous. It's not a big deal though; will pick up day one, because FF music is great.

I should note that the DLC really isn't awfully priced.

The game is loaded as is, so I really have no problem with paying a little bit for more on top of the huge game we already got.

I've only purchased a few new songs but I don't regret it.

kiryogi

Banned
Good to hear! So the FMVs don't look shoddily compressed onto the 3DS, then?

Not at all, but I always find 3DS games look a lot sharper/cleaner in 3D. Maybe it might look a little off with 3D off, but never checked :eek:

And yeah the 3d in this game is great, mainly many different layers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
theatrhytm_preorder.jpg

Amazon's preorder bonus. Don't know if it's exclusive or not.

Top Bottom