• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY Announced for North America and Europe for Summer 2012

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
so its gonna cost $30 and have $300 DLC you will *have* to buy to play longer than 30 minutes?

i hope they put all DLC, which is already available in Japan, into the final game.

The game already has 70 plus songs. And they plan to have 50 songs for DLC. I think one of the reasons they had (other than the "we want money lol" one) was space issues.
I honestly think that they're being quite generous already.

Day 1 XD

Famassu

FF13-2

All of FF13 besides the battle theme.
Lulz, get out of here with that stupid BS. Some of XIII-2's OST might be a bit more untraditional, but there's so much diversity in it that it offers everything from more traditional orchestral stuff to some jazzy greatness. And even in many of the more untraditional compositions, the only weakness are often the lyrics, the songs might be great otherwise.

Stuff like Warrior Goddess, Etro's Champion, Eternal War, Paradox, Full Speed Ahead, Paradigm Shift, The Last Hunter, Caius's Theme, All or Nothing, Threat Level Omega, Chaotic Guardian, Labyrinth of Chaos, Time's Master and such are great compositions.

And XIII's OST is amazing as well. No one can argue otherwise.

XIII & XIII-2's OST (for the most part) exceed most Uematsu FF OSTs.

i hope they put all DLC, which is already available in Japan, into the final game.
The reason why even the day 1 DLC is DLC is because they couldn't fit any more than the 70-80 or so songs they already have in the game. That's plenty of songs, especially with the different difficulty levels and everything. I don't understand why some (not you) are being so bitchy about Square Enix offering DLC songs.

Thoraxes

So awesome, can't wait!

I wonder if it'll be the same edition in Japan or if we're getting some of the DLC included.

FF13-2

All of FF13 besides the battle theme.

Not sure if serious...
Lulz, get out of here with that stupid BS. Some of XIII-2's OST might be a bit more untraditional, but there's so much diversity in it that it offers everything from more traditional orchestral stuff to some jazzy greatness. And even in many of the more untraditional compositions, the only weakness are often the lyrics, the songs might be great otherwise.

Stuff like Warrior Goddess, Etro's Champion, Eternal War, Paradox, Full Speed Ahead, Paradigm Shift, The Last Hunter, Caius's Theme, All or Nothing, Threat Level Omega, Chaotic Guardian, Labyrinth of Chaos, Time's Master and such are great compositions.

And XIII's OST is amazing as well. No one can argue otherwise.

XIII & XIII-2's OST (for the most part) exceed most Uematsu FF OSTs.

The reason why even the day 1 DLC is DLC is because they couldn't fit any more than the 70-80 or so songs they already have in the game. That's plenty of songs, especially with the different difficulty levels and everything. I don't understand why some (not you) are being so bitchy about Square Enix offering DLC songs.

Agreed, and XIII is probably the highest point of the series from a compositional standpoint. I don't bash Uematsu's works at all (it's good stuff), and met the man (and he's so awesome), but his prowess pales in comparison to Masashi Hamauzu's brilliance and very intricate compositions. (In fact, part of my master's thesis is on the analysis of works of Masashi Hamauzu, so you can consider me an academic researcher/source in the field, heh)

It's just that Uematsu's composition are rather simplistic, which works, and is one of the reasons why his soundtracks are so memorable.

This minimalism sometimes works wonders for a games OST, it creates a wonderful atmosphere in FF VII afterall and his FF VIII stuff is great.

But when you really dissect the song's he writes compared to other composers like Hamauzu and Shimomura even, you can see there is a gap in complexity.

That said complexity doesn't automatically mean better, I don't consider FF XIII's soundtrack the best the series has ever had.

Thoraxes

It's just that Uematsu's composition are rather simplistic, which works, and is one of the reasons why his soundtracks are so memorable.

This minimalism sometimes works wonders for a games OST, it creates a wonderful atmosphere in FF VII afterall and his FF VIII stuff is great.

But when you really dissect the song's he writes compared to other composers like Hamauzu and Shimomura even, you can see there is a gap in complexity.

That said complexity doesn't automatically mean better, I don't consider FF XIII's soundtrack the best the series has ever had.
Just to correct your terms, Uematsu is closer to a traditionalist composer, while Hamauzu and Shimomura are closer to minimalists (but are still waaaay way far from being true minimalists; they're more neo-classicists/neo-romantics).

Music terms are/can be pretty weird because they sometimes work/are defined outside of how normal applications of the words work, and have totally different connotations that in traditional lingual usage.

(You are totally right by the way, though!)

Never said they were bad. Just nothing memorable IMO.
For me, they're infinitely way more memorable than any of the other games (though we probably approach listening to music differently, which is fine).

Agreed, and XIII is probably the highest point of the series from a compositional standpoint. I don't bash Uematsu's works at all (it's good stuff), and met the man (and he's so awesome), but his prowess pales in comparison to Masashi Hamauzu's brilliance and very intricate compositions. (In fact, part of my master's thesis is on the analysis of works of Masashi Hamauzu, so you can consider me an academic researcher/source in the field, heh)

Pretty much everything I wanted to say. ;-;

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Love you Square Enix Europe, the way you support fans is great! I hope you also pack it in a limited edition!

Keep up with the good work!

I feel kinda dumb trading my 3ds in towards a vita. Now I am gonna end up getting another one once this comes out. After hearing WAHP podcast gush over it I knew I had to have this game.

GameE

How did I not see this before? o_O Im a little surprised since I was starting to think it wouldnt come out of Japan.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
seriously, MonHun 3G (no announced buuut), KH3D, Threahtrym, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion.... and now Ghostlight will bring atlus/aksys awesomness to europe.

good times!

Is there a PAL confirmation for Fire Emblem? I thought there was, but not for NA yet. :(

jimmypython

Although I'm happy with my current Japanese 3DS, games here in North America are cheaper! There are some games I want to play but am not willing to pay $70+ to import, like RE:R and this one.

So please announce the 3DSL (or whatever it will be called) then I would have an excuse to buy a NA 3DS.....

Day one on this lovely title.

Suddenly the 3DS lineup in the US is looking hot to me. Can't wait to pick up Kid Icarus tomorrow and soon we'll have:

- Mario Tennis
- FF Theatrythm
- KH 3D

And hopefully NOA with give us Fire Emblem too!

I agree with this. On another note much of FF XIII soundtrack was alternative versions of a few themes. I did enjoy those main themes, but there were not enough original tracks.

storafötter;36264477 said:
I agree with this. On another note much of FF XIII soundtrack was alternative versions of a few themes. I did enjoy those main themes, but there were not enough original tracks.

Exactly, I mean recurring themes and motifs are nice, but damn, don't beat me over the head with them.

Just to correct your terms, Uematsu is closer to a traditionalist composer, while Hamauzu and Shimomura are closer to minimalists (but are still waaaay way far from being true minimalists; they're more neo-classicists/neo-romantics).

Music terms are/can be pretty weird because they sometimes work/are defined outside of how normal applications of the words work, and have totally different connotations that in traditional lingual usage.

(You are totally right by the way, though!)

For me, they're infinitely way more memorable than any of the other games (though we probably approach listening to music differently, which is fine).

List me a few tracks! Just realized that my ps3 was using my shitty monitor speakers for the past month. That's probably why FF13 was less than memorable lol.

shira

It'll be $40, won't it?

i wish the Western name was just Theater Rhythm Final Fantasy to spare us countless jokes about "Theatrhythm" from game journalists.

idk Square tax?

I'm kind of curious to see what will happen since it looks like an easy to port to iOS.
Are they going to maxmize profit and go multiplatform, or is it going to be 10 years later with a dirty port and questionable fonts.

Boney

Banned
Why do people keep repeating Ouendan. It's not like Ouendan at all.

What are the odds the western release includes the DLC already released in Jap- AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Well they did say the game cart is actually full. Wouldn't know if it's a 2GB or 4GB but it has 70 songs right?

Top Bottom