• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly interview on F1.com with Kimi

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/3/13161.html

Q: There have been rumours that your nickname could change from ‘ice man’ to ‘nice man’. How do you like that?
KR: It’s all just a rumour. It is the media who make up these kinds of things in the first place. It’s all rubbish!

Q: How do you feel seeing your former team Ferrari struggling so much?

KR: I don’t care. We try to beat all the teams and they are just one of them. If they do poorly it is bad for them but as we are ahead of them I could not care less. And if they become better than us then it’s a sign that we have to improve.

Q: What is your strategy for the race?

KR: I will try to get through the first corners without any accidents and then go on from there. There is not a plan or manual of what to do in the first lap. As I said at the beginning, the car feels good and there should be some options for me tomorrow.

Some pics

Is that Lotus looking gorgeous? or is it a love-is-blind case?

i3vZp19fqUQMR.png

ibuWlHrRXeys0s.png

More Kimi dosage (scroll down if you don't like)

From Kulta's paddock walk

If someone would have claimed a year ago that Räikkönen comes back to the F1-races and beats Sebastian Vettel in Malaysia qualification, then he would have become the laughing stock of the whole paddock. But not anymore. Räikkönen was 5th and Vettel 6th in qualification.

Räikkönen himself didn't even pay attention to the matter until I mentioned it to him. Kimi smiled and said that it must bug the dude.

– I have to go and ask him myself in the evening, Räikkönen said.

I asked Vettel in Red Bull's press conference if he was surprised to see himself behind Räikkönen on the result sheet?

– Not at all. Kimi had a good qualification. We already saw in the morning that they are fast and I expected them to be fast in qualification.

– Kimi was really competitive during Q1 and Q2. I don't know what happened after that when he didn't improve in Q3, when the track was at it's fastest and everybody went faster.

– I was not surprised at all to see both Lotus-cars that high, Vettel assured.

Christian Horner was on the same line as Vettel when I asked him if it was a surprise for him to see last year's king of pole behind Räikkönen in the results?

– I think that Kimi has been fast all the time. He was totally blindingly fast in Q2. The power relations seem to change with such a speed, which makes this so interesting. It's good for the sport to see this many competitive drivers, Horner thought.

Vettel drove on hard tyres for strategic reasons, which of course took away his speed during qualification. On top of that Räikkönen had to let his buddy take 5th place in the start after suffering the penalty due to the gear box.

Lets continue our tour on the paddock.

What did Räikkönen's performance offer to his race engineer Mark Slade?

– If Kimi now lost some time in a few places, we are still talking about such a small delay that it doesn't matter in the big picture. The lap was really good. A top driver is always critical to himself, hence losing only a tenth of a hundred hurts badly.

– The most important thing was to get this good qualification-result with a car this good. Lets hope now that the race goes the same way, Slade chatted.

Martin Whitmarsh walks with a wide smile on the paddock, since for the second time in a row the two MP4-27-cars conquered the front row in exactly the same order as in Australia.

Is it surprising to see Kimi with this kind of speed in qualification?

– I will not be surprised over anything Kimi does. I know how fast driver he is. It's great that Kimi is back. Actually I hope that he would leave Red Bulls behind him on a regular basis. Beating Vettel is a good start, although he has to start from behind due to the penalty, Whitmarsh smiled.

Lotus-team's consultant Jackie Stewart stands strongly behind Räikkönen.

– Fantastic performance. I'm sure that a result like this bugs Vettel. Kimi had a flying weather, the car worked well and it was great to follow the qualification lap.

Gerd Kuntschik, who is from Red Bull's hometown Salzburger and writes in Nachrichten -magazine also praised Räikkönen with pleasure.

– Kimi is Kimi and his performance level is as tough as it's always. Actually I'm more amazed over Lotus-team's competitiveness and also over Romain Grosjean's speed than over Kimi finding his best qualification-speed, Kuntschik thinks.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just been dumped by GF, so i hope that I will wake up for the race, 'cause i will get drunk as a brick this evening :(

Omiee

Vettel never took anything for granted last year but i think he has to get used to the situation where he has to fight for every point and win he wants.

Last year he aced qualy and controlled the race from there. This year i think for me will be a great year in which he will prove why he is one of the best drivers on the grid.

Red bull's livery is so good!!

AcridMeat

Banned
Hmm. I hate to say it, but I'd rather see someone like Kobayashi or Perez parachuted into Ferrari when... the car isn't shite.

I'm not being flippant but I think most drivers on the grid deserve better than that car right now.

Totally agree, I feel bad for Alonso. Team has gone downhill as fast as Massa. The only instance where Massa has been fast.

AcridMeat

Banned
why would you feel bad for alonso? are you feeling bad for petrov who is not in the fast renault this year.
Well when it's clear the guy is putting everything he has into the car and the team is complete ass, it's disappointing. Alonso at Ferrari was supposed to mean a 3-horse race for driver's championships (and possible constructor's) and they've gone in the opposite direction.

I don't feel bad for Petrov because he has a drive this year, and he's much better than seeing Trulli on the grid. I'm happy for him.

mblitek

Should be interesting run down to first corner. Then see how well Vettel starts and can hold the traffic up behind him. See how that strategy pays off.

Should be quite the race tomorrow rain or not and the mid field fight will be so close!

Omiee

Well when it's clear the guy is putting everything he has into the car and the team is complete ass, it's disappointing. Alonso at Ferrari was supposed to mean a 3-horse race for driver's championships (and possible constructor's) and they've gone in the opposite direction.

I don't feel bad for Petrov because he has a drive this year, and he's much better than seeing Trulli on the grid. I'm happy for him.

thats true, he does get more out of that car than his team mate is able to do.

i just never liked the guy, he looks so arrogant.

thats true, he does get more out of that car than his team mate is able to do.

i just never liked the guy, he looks so arrogant.

Alonso reeked arrogance during the 2010 Season. I remember people here on GAF were going bananas when he started dominating towards the end of the Season and was celebrating when he got stuck behind Petrov and lost the Championship.

It didnt help that he had a meltdown immediately after the race.

When 2011 Season came around, he lost most of that smug impression, partly because RBR/Vettel was dominating the field and the Ferrari was just not in the same league. Heck, people here would actually cheer when Alonso would get podiums or good starts lol.

Now, its just sad seeing him struggle to get a decent performance out of the F2012. Theres not even a hint of smug in the guy now, he always looks depressed when interviewed.

Omiee

rewatching the formula 1 2011 review, china team radio bit. Man do teams communicate a lot with drivers while driving.

Ark

You people forget Alonso is signed until 2017. If Ferrari don't win either the Constructors' or the Drivers' by 2017, it'll be one of the biggest failures of this millennia.

Also LDM will completely lose his shit.

Leunam

INo9t.png

2011 Race Summary

In what would be a dominant race for the 2010 World Champion, Vettel made a clean break from the lights and quickly began developing a strong lead from the rest of the pack. The other big winner was Nick Heidfeld, who was able to move from sixth to second at the start. By lap 9 Vettel had build a 5.2 second lead over his fellow German, and was able to comfortably bring his car home in first in spite of KERS problems that plagued the second half of his race, while Pastor Maldonado retired with a misfire. Barrichello was the next retirement with a gearbox problem, which they later traced to the hydraulics. On lap 24, the Sauber of Sergio Pérez was struck by a piece of debris, possibly from an unidentified car. The debris damaged the front wing and floor of the Sauber before passing through both the chassis and the protective Zylon panel, and hitting the ECU. The ECU was rendered inactive, stopping the car. The debris then passed out of the car by smashing through the sidepod. Jarno Trulli slid across the gravel before retiring with a clutch failure on lap 31.

The Hispanias of Karthikeyan and Liuzzi were withdrawn by the team for "safety reasons". Karthikeyan experienced an abnormal spike in water temperature on lap 15, whilst Liuzzi's car was subject to vibrations from the rear wing. Although neither fault was terminal, the team elected to retire the cars rather than risk further damage.

Behind Vettel, the McLarens of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button fought with Fernando Alonso for position, Button coming out on top and ultimately taking his first podium of the season, ahead of Nick Heidfeld who finished third, whilst both Hamilton and Alonso were penalised for their actions on track. Further back, D'Ambrosio pulled off the track with an electronics failure, and later Petrov crashed out from eighth place.

Circuit Info

[Click map for onboard lap]

XR8gX.png

Laps
56​
Circuit length
5.543 km (3.444 mi)​
Race length
310.408 km (192.878 mi)​
Lap Record
Juan Pablo Montoya - Williams-BMW - 2004 - 1:34.223​
Most Wins (Drivers) [Sepang]
Michael Schumacher (3)​
Most Wins (Constructors) [Sepang]
Ferrari (5)​

Previous Winners

TeVMl.png

Changes from 2011

-The verge on the exit of turn 8 has been re-worked in order to remove the bump in the grass which caused a problem in 2011.
-The entire debris fence around the outside of turn 1 has been renewed.

GP Facts

-The 1999 race ended in controversy. Thanks to Schumacher's pace-setting, Ferrari team-mate Eddie Irvine was able to take victory but afterwards both Ferraris were disqualified due to technical infringements. That handed the title to Mika Hakkinen but Ferrari successfully appealed and the championship battle rolled on to the final round in Japan. Hakkinen still managed to win.
-In 2001, Giancarlo Fisichella, driving for Benetton, had an embarrassing moment as the cars lined up for the race. The Italian seemed to forget where he had qualified and parked on the wrong side of the grid. Realising his error he tried to steer across to his proper 16th place but with no room to manoeuvre was left stranded across the grid at the start.
-Sepang should have good memories for Kimi Raikkonen. The Lotus driver took his first F1 victory in Malaysia in 2003. The Finn started from seventh but moved up to second in the first stint and then passed pole winner Fernando Alonso on in the first pit stop. Fernando's pole position made him, at the time, the youngest driver to start a race from the front of the grid. Sebastian Vettel then took that record at the 2008 Italian GP.
-Alonso had gained his race seat at Renault in '03 at the expense of Jenson Button, who had been controversially dropped. Jenson moved on to partner Jacques Villeneuve at BAR-Honda and the following year Button scored his first podium finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix, taking third place behind Juan Pablo Montoya and race winner Michael Schumacher.

Videos highlighting the Malaysian Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2003 Malaysian Grand Prix

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
D5FUB.png

Constructors Championship
1CVj0.png

Fantasy League Championship
yykYv.png

Septimius

I'm pretty drunk, and I'm feeling so fricking good before the race. I was up at 8 yesterday, so being up at 9-10 tomorrow (race starts 10 local) will be a.. relative breeze?

Anyway, I love this season so much. Seeing Schumacher in the press conference for the first time since 2006 was really powerful. I wish him the best for tomorrow, and I know he's the best to cope with the situation he's in.

Gonna sleep, then hopefully have sex and wake up tomorrow all rested.. Wait, maybe the order of that is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom