• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Voltage.

I'll say it again; HVS better make The Grinder for Wii U retail and really push it, that game looks eons better than The Conduit, more ambitious and has a great, gripping style.

I mean you get to shoot werewolves! I don't know, the look just really hooked me and seeing that using Wii U tech, *drools*.

Come on Sega, don't let this one slide!

Edit: Here's the most recent (2010...) Wii trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLQNloBoIM

o_O WTF that looks unbelievable, The Conduit 1 & 2 have nothing on this.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So guys, what's the latest recap of events?

All I've been able to come across: guy who leaked new controller pic has been canned, GTA V indeed hitting the WiiU, Ideaman wants his own thread, the mysterious square under the left analog stick being either a vitality or nfc sensor, the WiiU controller and 3DS controller will be able to interact with each other, ALIENS: CM for the WiiU will be the best looking console version.....

How did I do?

Izick

That video is fantastic, he makes a lot of solid criticisms, like when he calls the WUC gay. Very solid, sound logic. Makes a ton of sense and is well presented. I like that license free rap beat in the background as well, very well produced.

Same here. We'll still have each other. Right pyro?
always

iD1dnFXZKBLHD.gif

HylianTom

Banned
That video is fantastic, he makes a lot of solid criticisms, like when he calls the WUC gay. Very solid, sound logic. Makes a ton of sense and is well presented. I like that license free rap beat in the background as well, very well produced.
Well, the WUC is attracted to WUCs of the same gender, so he may be onto something there. Hmm.

I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy and I would shit a chicken at friend codes....
Ditto.

Well, bgassassin did say that, based on his consultation with IM (and Iherre, I believe), 2GBs was a safe bet. I'm still not clear on weather ~0.5GBs is what we can expect the OS to take up, though. You'll have to ask IM and Iherre about that one. :p

Lherre wasn't included in the latest round of me asking about memory. But I did make sure to get it from more than one person.

Nilaul

That Destiny info confirms at least the first game will be on the 360. In 2014.

10 year plan!?

The contract was signed in 2010, april. EA MIGHT HAD NO idea about Wii U, yet, or they went considering it yet. So we have to wait and see about the Wii U version. (well for the 2nd game)

ffdgh

Will the wii u read dvds or will Nintendo skip that feature again.

Watching movies/netflix of the pad would be awesome.

So guys, what's the latest recap of events?

All I've been able to come across: guy who leaked new controller pic has been canned, GTA V indeed hitting the WiiU, Ideaman wants his own thread, the mysterious square under the left analog stick being either a vitality or nfc sensor, the WiiU controller and 3DS controller will be able to interact with each other, ALIENS: CM for the WiiU will be the best looking console version.....

How did I do?

There hasn't been anything in the last few hours, but here's the stuff we picked up today (maybe a little of last night).

Right now, we're running at at NPD Classic levels of hype mode.

#18441: we dorks are moving over to Community for the next thread

#18474: Spike and MTV2 to air N-conf (and allegedly the round table, as per #18555 and #18569?? Yup, clarified in #18596)

#18612: e3.nintendo.com announces discussion with Wii U hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi on june 5th at 2:30am EDT

#18705: "Aliens: Colonial Marines" might not be playable on show floor

#18775: Re-mention of no playable show cloor Aliens: CM; also, Kmart lists Wii for $99 in Q3.

#19009: Possibly new patent involving streaming to the 3DS

The contract was signed in 2010, april. EA MIGHT HAD NO idea about Wii U, yet, or they went considering it yet. So we have to wait and see about the Wii U version.

It's not like the PS4 or next Xbox have been announced. They could've easily included "the next successor platform released by Nintendo" in those documents like they did with those platforms.

Anyone else pretty confident that Wii U will require Motion + for the games with motion controls? I think it was hinted at with those internal NOE documents that stated 2 Wii Upads and 4 wiimote+ were compatible, but everyone was more excited about the 2 DRC thing.

It makes a ton of sense - first, it's simply more accurate. Second, it allows Nintendo to still make money selling controller peripherals without alienating the millions of current wii owners. It's not too bad to say your wiimotes work just need a 15$ add on rather than require a new 60$ controller. I also expect one to be bundled in, perhaps without the nunchuck.

of course, regular wiimotes will work for Wii BC.

EDIT: wow this thread moves fast - I see others already have similar ideas.

Hasn't the motion plus add on for old wii remotes long ceased production?

Izick

Will the wii u read dvds or will Nintendo skip that feature again.

Watching movies/netflix of the pad would be awesome.

I really hope so, and yes, watching movies on the pad shall be glorious, especially if it's a smooth transition, or can be done at the same time as it is on the screen. Getting something to eat or drink is no longer a problem!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
There hasn't been anything in the last few hours, but here's the stuff we picked up today (maybe a little of last night).

Right now, we're running at at NPD Classic levels of hype mode.

Thanks Gameplay!

That streaming blurb about the 3ds leads me to believe it will indeed be used as a controller for the WiiU.

AniHawk

It's not like the PS4 or next Xbox have been announced. They could've easily included "the next successor platform released by Nintendo" in those documents like they did with those platforms.

also, i doubt ea had to know much about a bungie contract with activision.

My bad, then.

But 2GBs is still a safe bet, right?

Also, may I ask as to why it got bumped to 2GBs?

Oops. That should have said "did" not "didn't". I'd say it's safe, and either devs got them to go with 2GB, or that was always the plan and they were telling them 1.5GB would be accessible.

I'll say it again; HVS better make The Grinder for Wii U retail and really push it, that game looks eons better than The Conduit, more ambitious and has a great, gripping style.

I mean you get to shoot werewolves! I don't know, the look just really hooked me and seeing that using Wii U tech, *drools*.

Come on Sega, don't let this one slide!

Edit: Here's the most recent (2010...) Wii trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLQNloBoIM

o_O WTF that looks unbelievable, The Conduit 1 & 2 have nothing on this.

My post was a joke post but that looks fun.

AniHawk

i think activision would get someone to make destiny for everything. it probably won't be done by a bungie team, but they'll probably try to get it done. that's what they did for the treyarch call of duty games.

considering they were planning on the destiny sequels being planned for next-gen consoles, and seeing where nintendo was this gen, they probably didn't have a good idea where nintendo was going to go for next gen way back in 2010.

Here's some info that IdeaMan sent me in regards to the padlet update.

IdeaMan said:
1 - The first, according to my sources, the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though. So there would be a slight decrease in the PPI.

-> Nintendo warned developers of this several weeks ago, it is not obvious on the picture leaked, which would reinforce either the smallness of this increase, or the event that it wasn't implemented. Anyway, it should be taken into account in the comparisons, gif, etc, made between the E3 2011 DRC and this one, as the screen is not the same, therefore the proportions are not identical. People should not resize the new padlet in regard to the previous one, by assuming the screens could be fully juxtaposed.
-> This size alteration could hint toward a screen type change, we should see at E3 and compare its characteristics, brightness, contrast, overall quality, etc..

2 - This "new" screen is still not multi-touch apparently.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

-> The demonstration of this feature in the Rayman leaked video isn't representative of how it will work, such a use could obviously have bad consequences for the screen if people would put figurines briskly on it.
-> This technology has an optimal range very limited (a few centimeters), placing the NFC chip in the middle of the controller, behind the screen, wouldn't have been good for several reasons (related to the display), and wouldn't be the most practical and efficient choice to recognize, to establish communication without any problems, with NFC tagged objects, and people would have put those very close to the screen with the risk to damage it.
-> Putting the sensor on one of the controller side, is a way to extend and clearly define the NFC range in this zone. When we lay it down on a table, our knees, etc, we can put more practically and safely in this virtual perimeter near the left DRC border NFC objects, some of which being heavy or with edges that could deteriorate the padlet.
-> It's possible, in order to properly recognize the location of the NFC, and to inform people of this feature, that there will be a sign, a sticker, on this square.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature apparently. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

5 - As I said, these changes are documented and third-parties are informed of those for months. It appears they just received the updated padlet. This could be due to logistics, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but it's certainly indicating Nintendo spent some time, until rather recently, to tweak and polish the DRC we'll see at E3.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
About DRC changes

I wanted to do a big topic dedicated to a list of modifications i've heard more than a month ago, applied to the DRC we saw at E3 2011, but the recent picture leak scooped me for 2 or 3 points.

There are still 2 or 3 infos not really heard before nor confirmed, that are important.

1 - According to my sources, the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though. So there would be a slight decrease in the PPI.

-> Nintendo warned developers of this several weeks ago, it is not obvious on the picture leaked, which would reinforce either the smallness of this increase, or the event that it wasn't implemented. Anyway, it should be taken into account in the comparisons, gif, etc, made between the E3 2011 DRC and this one, as the screen is not the same, therefore the proportions are not identical. People should not resize the new padlet in regard to the previous one, by assuming the screens could be fully juxtaposed.
-> This size alteration could hint toward a screen type change, we should see at E3 and compare its characteristics, brightness, contrast, overall quality, etc..

I teased this in the thread 3 or 4 I think (1, 2, 3, 4, and others), and answered to someone relaying a rumor that the screen shrank in size by stating it was strange, etc.

2 - This "new" screen is still not multi-touch apparently.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

-> The demonstration of this feature in the Rayman leaked video isn't representative of how it will work, such a use could obviously have bad consequences for the screen if people would put figurines briskly on it.
-> This technology has an optimal range very limited (a few centimeters), placing the NFC chip in the middle of the controller, behind the screen, wouldn't have been good for several reasons (related to the display), and wouldn't be the most practical and efficient choice to recognize, to establish communication without any problems, with NFC tagged objects, and people would have put those very close to the screen with the risk to damage it.
-> Putting the sensor on one of the controller side, is a way to extend and clearly define the NFC range in this zone. When we lay it down on a table, our knees, etc, we can put more practically and safely in this virtual perimeter near the left DRC border NFC objects, some of which being heavy or with edges that could deteriorate the padlet.
-> It's possible, in order to properly recognize the location of the NFC, and to inform people of this feature, that there will be a sign, a sticker, on this square.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It seems it isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

5 - As I said, these changes are documented and third-parties are informed of those for months. It appears they just received the updated padlet. This could be due to logistics, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but it's certainly indicating Nintendo spent some time, until rather recently, to tweak and polish the DRC we'll see at E3.

It's a little less sexy than if I had added as planned the switch from slidepads to traditional sticks, buttons layout modification, and the controller shape slightly changed, it would have deserved its own thread in this case, before the picture being leaked :p But it's still interesting, about the screen and especially the mysterious square under the D-Pad. You now know its function for sure.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Oops. That should have said "did" not "didn't". I'd say it's safe, and either devs got them to go with 2GB, or that was always the plan and they were telling them 1.5GB would be accessible.

BG-Apologies in advance if this has been covered. Let's go with 2 gig on board, 1.5 for the system, the other .5 for the padlet.

Could developers get creative and tap into more of the padlet .5 memory if let's say they didn't make use of the touchscreen or apps? Basically, what I'm getting at is that developers could use the full 2 gigs of memory if they simply use the padlet's controls/thumbsticks and leave the touchscreen alone/blank?

Edit-Great stuff Ideaman! Thanks for sharing! I had suspected the mysterious square was the NFC sensor. Totally makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom