• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

iboCt54EfYvJcm.jpg

Nolan.

Edmond Dantès;39112922 said:
Looks like they've all been shopped in.

Yeah, that was my initial reaction, on a separate thought I was thinking Fernando and Lewis would make for such a formidable team even in times of iffy car development, if only both were up to the challenge (providing equal treatment was offered) with ego pushed aside I would just love to see it happen.

Dave Long

Banned
That's because for the documentary, it was kind of represented as fiction. It was exceptionally one sided in terms of how that relationship was presented.
Uh... I lived through that era of F1. Prost was pretty much a jackass in every meaning of the word, and his buddy Balestre handed him a World Championship.

Risgroo

Man, a Massa win would be amazing. I used to root for him, when Jenson was stuck finishing around 16th every race
:(
, and I think a win might just lead him back to his older self.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;39080893 said:
Hey Loxley, nice to see another Tolkien gaffer here. :)

If you're looking for more F1 docs, I'd wholeheartedly recommend; Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Don't let the title put you off, it's a well made BBC documentary and very thought provoking.

I just checked it out Dantes, very interesting doc; "The Killer Years" is definitely a justifiable title. I couldn't believe how many drivers died before they finally began making the tracks safer, ridiculous. It's unfortunate that problem seemed to persist in some form up until the early 90's with Senna.

One of these days I need to get around actually watching a live F1 race, after seeing these two docs my interest is definitely peaked.

Ark

People underestimate how well Hamilton - Alonso would work at Ferrari should Ferrari ever decide they wish to take on two AAA class drivers.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
People underestimate how well Hamilton - Alonso would work at Ferrari should Ferrari ever decide they wish to take on two AAA class drivers.
Indeed, they've matured enough over the past few years and frankly the original animosity between them was really blown out of proportion by the media and fans. They could be a fantastic duo and Ferrari's chances of securing the WCC would be increased somewhat.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;39119144 said:
Indeed, they've matured enough over the past few years and frankly the original animosity between them was really blown out of proportion by the media and fans. They could be a fantastic duo and Ferrari's chances of securing the WCC would be increased somewhat.
Indeed.

Leunam

jM2ei.png

untitled-6oa8p1.gif

2011 Race Summary

The race was very hot, the average temperature around 47 °C (117 °F).

At the start Sebastian Vettel led easily from pole, with team mate Mark Webber behind. Felipe Massa had a good start from fifth, driving straight between and past Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso at Turn 1; but because Massa looked down the outside of Webber at Turn 2, Alonso could cleverly get back in front of Massa on the inside of Turn 3. Bad starts from the McLarens meant Hamilton dropped from third to fifth, and Jenson Button dropped from sixth to seventh – behind Nico Rosberg. Button later retook sixth place from Rosberg a few laps later into Turn 2. Before the pit stops the order was now Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Button, Rosberg, Schumacher (the four fastest cars in the top eight spots).

It seemed like the Ferraris had made great improvements since Canada because their pace was at least equal to the McLarens, and significantly faster at some stages of the race. The McLarens had quiet races, Button stuck in sixth, while Hamilton used the undercut to get past Massa in the pit stops for fourth, where he would finish the race. Fernando Alonso engaged in a race long battle with Mark Webber for second while Vettel stormed away into the distance. Early on in the race Alonso overtook Webber in the first DRS zone, on the inside of Turn 12. However, in the pit stops, great Red Bull strategy got Webber back in front. Ferrari later used the pit stops to get Alonso back in front of Webber. A radio message to Webber, telling him to go slower due to gearbox troubles ensured Alonso's second place.

Michael Schumacher finished a disappointing 17th after a misjudgement from him, when he exited the pits, where he ploughed his front wing into the side of Vitaly Petrov's Renault. This meant he had to pit again the following lap demoting him to 17th, where he stayed on a circuit notoriously difficult to overtake on. Although, Schumacher admitted after the race that seventh and eighth was the maximum for the two Mercedes cars. Sergio Pérez did a respectable job of preserving his tyres so he only had to pit once, he finished eleventh after starting in sixteenth. His Sauber teammate, Kamui Kobayashi, finished in sixteenth place, the first time in 2011 he did not finish in the top ten. For the second race in a row Jaime Alguersuari justified his position in Toro Rosso by finishing eighth. He did this, even though he started eighteenth. Another driver on a good race was Mark Webber, calling it his "best race this year". Yet, he was still beaten by his teammate Vettel, who took his sixth victory from eight races.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
57​
Circuit length
5.419 km (3.367 mi)​
Race length
308.883 km (191.931 mi)​
Lap Record
Timo Glock - Toyota - 2009 - 1:38.683​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (6)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (6)​

Previous Winners

Valencia Street Circuit

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2010 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2009 - Rubens Barrichello for Brawn-Mercedes
2008 - Felipe Massa for Ferrari

Nurburgring GP Circuit

2007 - Fernando Alonso for McLaren-Mercedes
2006 - Michael Schumacher for Ferrari
2005 - Fernando Alonso for Renault

Videos highlighting the Canadian Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1993 European GP at Donington Park

Highlights from the 1985 European GP at Brands Hatch: Part 1/Part 2/Part 3/Part 4

Highlights from the 2008 European GP at Valencia

Highlights from the 1964 European GP at Brands Hatch

Highlights from the 2006 European GP at the Nurburgring

Highlights from the 1958 European GP at Spa-Francorchamps: Part 1/Part 2/Part 3

Changes from 2011

-Areas of artificial grass laid around several section of the circuit have been replaced with a more durable product for 2012. This follows problems in 2011, with the synthetic turf becoming detached from the surface to which it was glued.

GP Facts

-This race has been won from pole position three times. The only exception being Barrichello’s victory in 2009 in which the Brazilian triumphed from third on the grid.
-Hamilton and Nico Rosberg are the only two drivers to finish in the points every time F1 has raced in Valencia.
-The Valencia Street Circuit has more corners than any other current F1 circuit, though some are corners only in name. However, the combination of long straights and ten turns taken in third gear or lower puts a heavy load on braking systems. Together with expected high ambient temperatures this creates issues for brake cooling.
-Five circuits in three countries have held the modern incarnation of the European Grand Prix. The first of 21 runnings was held at Brands Hatch in 1983. Brands held the race again in 1985. The other British track to host the race is Donington Park (1993). The race was run 12 times at the Nürburgring between 1984-2007 before moving to Valencia for 2008. It also took place on Spanish soil in 1994 and 1997, when it was held at Jerez.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
nLYnZ.png

Constructors Championship
ETf1i.png

Fantasy League Championship
V0V4b.png

Leunam

Anytime friend.

Put it up early this week because I'll be out during the weekend at a company fishing tournament. Good timing I suppose since it's Valencia but here's hoping I'm wrong and that for once we get an exciting race there.

Nolan.

Iv'e been re-watching races from last season and I feel like I forgot how many awesome racing moments we had, I hope Valencia can somehow throw up something good.

thank you. I really didn't know who he was or what he's doing with McLaren.

McLaren road bike
1300395731887-hxsf41u40lx4-670-75.jpg

Hot!

He honed his skills on this:

sony_psp_formula_one_2006.jpg

I doubt he'll be in F1 any time soon! But you never know...

After watching him in the lower formulas he'll never be in F1, simply not good enough.

Then who goes to RBR? Button/Webber?

Vergne and Sainz.

Button better bounce back this weekend, if he doesn't get on the podium I'm done with F1 this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom