• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Booked general admission for Austin. See some of you there, we should have a GAF mini reunion for a beer and a photo.

_machine

Rummaged through some closets and found this:

Unfortunately I've no use for it anymore so I'd be happy if someone wanted to take it off my hands for a nominal tip. I was pretty surprised to see that there are mods for seasons up to 2011 and an actual community of players.

Back on topic though, have there been any great races in Valencia in the past(possibly with a video link)? I haven't really watched F1 for a long time so I'd like to know the track a bit better for this week's race.

Forbes did a Top 100 list of the highest paid athletes. Fernando Alonso is #19, mentioned as the highest paid Formula 1 driver on the grid.

#19 Fernando Alonso

Total earnings: $32 million
Salary/winnings: $29 million
Endorsements: $3 million

Alonso remains the highest-paid driver in F1, earning close to $30 million annually from his salary with Ferrari. The Spaniard sits near the top of the 2012 F1 standings and is gunning for his third World Championship.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45igdi/19-fernando-alonso/#gallerycontent

And the rest:

#20 Michael Schumacher

Total earnings: $30 million
Salary/winnings: $20 million
Endorsements: $10 million

Schumacher came out of retirement in 2010 to race full-time for Mercedes in a three-year deal. The results have been disappointing for the world’s most decorated Formula One driver. He finished ninth and eighth overall in the final standings in his first two years back.

#24 Lewis Hamilton

Total earnings: $28 million
Salary/winnings: $25 million
Endorsements: $3 million

Hamilton is a free agent after the 2012 F1 season. He is expected to have many suitors as Hamilton is one of F1’s most talented and marketable drivers. His current team, McLaren, controls almost all of the sponsorship rights to Hamilton, but he was able to ink a lucrative deal with Reebok in 2008 to be a global ambassador for the brand. It is his only personal endorsement deal.

No other F1 drivers are listed. The list ends with Kurt Badenhausen, a Baseball player, who earns $16.5 million, which obviously means that all other drivers get less than that in a year.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Michael with only 10 million in endorsements? I find that hard to believe. Wasn't he the first sports figure whose net worth went above 1 billion?

I know there is this argument if Formula 1 drivers (or racing drivers in general) are real athletes, but after seeing Alonso's training program, I really don't know how anyone could bring that up again.

As always, here the training program from last race in Canada;
-481Km bike
-36 Km run
-11h swim
-2h gym
-5h (tennis, soccer, etc...)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I know there is this argument if Formula 1 drivers (or racing drivers in general) are real athletes, but after seeing Alonso's training program, I really don't know how anyone could bring that up again.
Very underrated athletes along with Ballet dancers.

Would love to see Schumacher Prime's regime. When he burst onto the scene he made everyone seem lazy in comparison, even Senna couldn't match Schumacher's fitness levels.

Lucius86

Banned

I tried explaining to my housemates how fit F1 drivers have to be - I guess to the general public it is hard to understand how demanding these machines are on the body.

Isn't he your better half?

Pretty much.

Chris R

Edmond Dantès;39039409 said:
2 days I suppose, just before the race weekend starts on Friday. Start on a Tuesday, finish Wednesday, then a rest day before Friday's practice.

Has to be more than 2 days, because that is basically 40+ hours worth of stuff there in the list already.

Deadman

I remember reading that football coach jurgen klinsmann had looked in to the training regime of f1 drivers, in particular vettel, and found that they were doing far more than footballers do.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;39050333 said:
Don't let his sinewy exterior fool you, the guy's as fit and strong as a Derby horse.
I knew he was incredibly fit (since they all are), but I guess he just focuses his attention away from pure muscle and instead elsewhere.

I guess seeing an athlete of his build gave me a glimmer of hope that I could've become an F1 driver. :p

dubc35

Brundle and Senna 1983 (via twitter @F1Mclarendave)

Avsm2BwCMAAZZgQ.jpg

Rubens is live streaming now too
http://twitcam.livestream.com/ajkrj

Shaneus

Shame there are no drivers even close to my build. I'd need a suit about the same size as Villeneuve's, except mine wouldn't be quite as loose fitting as his :(

Edit: FWIW, was great seeing Brundle actually driving during Le Mans. Given how they finished (after their problems) Jr. might have a future...

Ark

Edit: FWIW, was great seeing Brundle actually driving during Le Mans. Given how they finished (after their problems) Jr. might have a future...

I don't think there could be a better parent to have than Brundle Sr for trying to get into the Motorsports world.

Shaneus

I don't think there could be a better parent to have than Brundle Sr for trying to get into the Motorsports world.
Oh, I meant in F1. I didn't actually see him drive and I have no idea how old he is, but to endure Le Mans and still finish it (like I said) reasonably well apart from a few issues... hope he does do well. Hell, Webber had a Le Mans drive under his belt not long before he started with Minardi (though Paul Stoddart being team owner certainly helped, too).

mblitek

I could never become a F1 driver sadly. I'm about 6'5"-6'6" :( My Karting "career" was okay as I was "only" 6'2" at the time...

Karting is so hard on your internal organs and ribs. I often had bruises from pulling g and sooo sore.

Shaneus

Couldn't watch with sound, but saw the first few seconds. Glad he's smiling! And also glad about the Russian Helicopters deal... must go some way to ease some of the abrasiveness that would've come with almost *any* Russian in an English team.

Hope he can start matching Heikki soon. If the both of them can be that consistent, no reason they couldn't start nudging the STRs or even Saubers (though the latter is unlikely) before the year is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom