• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I can no longer be questioned by the teams about why we are racing at the worst circuit in the championship,” said Ecclestone.

The what what now?

They wanted to know why he had not been awesome for 5 races now? That seems a bit mental for a team he isn't even driving for.

But he's a member of Ferrari Driver Academy for whom Luca Baldisserri works for. In a way he is their driver. The Ferrari Driver Academy driver.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maybe, but I know Bernie will want to get Americans as interested in the sport as he can.

The US is an untapped market, but he needs to do better to attract watchers. You can't have crappy TV coverage like we have now. A lot of what people love is the drama and characters in the sport, and we don't even get a decent pre and post race show or interviews sometimes.

Red Bull Gridsters for UKers:

Red Bull has kick-started a competition to find the best racing game player at this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed - and the ultimate winner will find themselves at this year's Abu Dhabi GP in November.

Dubbed Red Bull Gridsters, the competition will take 16 finalists to the Goodwood Festival of Speed that's taking place from June 28 to July 1 and will test them across Forza Motorsport 4, Gran Turismo 5 and F1 2011. Two-times F1 champion Sebastian Vettel will also be at the event, alongside his teammate Mark Webber and promising young Toro Rosso driver Daniel Ricciardo.

To enter the competition you'll have to register at Red Bull's Gridsters site and submit a video that shows your prowess at any contemporary racing game - and you'll have to submit your gamer tag for verification. The deadline for entries is June 22.

The Goodwood Festival of Speed is a long-running event that celebrates the automobile, and it takes place in the grounds of Goodwood House in West Sussex. Come along on the Thursday and you'll likely spot myself and reviews editor Oli Welsh salivating at the prospect of some Group C cars tearing up the hill.

http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Sports/Red-Bull-Gridsters/001243205340908

Shaneus

That's fucking awesome. It's great that they're also covering games across multiple categories as well, so as to favour racing fans rather than GT5/Forza fanboys.

Shame there's no mention of any legitimate PC-based sims like iRacing, rFactor(2) or similar.

Maybe, but I know Bernie will want to get Americans as interested in the sport as he can.

A race or even two isn't going to make a difference. Getting America on board with F1 is something that would take more time than Bernie has left to fix, honestly. Americans, by and large, are only interested in sports played by successful Americans. No great American drivers have gone to F1 because so few people care, and so few people care because there are no great American drivers. It would take a generation of kids getting interested in the sport, and even then they'll have to work their way up in Europe because there's not the depth of competition here. Basically, I see it being incredibly unlikely that F1 is ever going to be widely popular in America.

Chris R

Friend found out I'm going to Texas in November and wants to learn more about F1. I was like well... you picked a bad week to get into it, since the next race is on a terrible circuit, and on top of that will be shown with a tape delay in the USA :( Wish SPEED would show the race live and then they could show the race again on Fox at the normal time. Silverstone will be delayed as well :|

Oh well.

Xun

A race or even two isn't going to make a difference. Getting America on board with F1 is something that would take more time than Bernie has left to fix, honestly. Americans, by and large, are only interested in sports played by successful Americans. No great American drivers have gone to F1 because so few people care, and so few people care because there are no great American drivers. It would take a generation of kids getting interested in the sport, and even then they'll have to work their way up in Europe because there's not the depth of competition here. Basically, I see it being incredibly unlikely that F1 is ever going to be widely popular in America.
It's a shame, but you're right.

Friend found out I'm going to Texas in November and wants to learn more about F1. I was like well... you picked a bad week to get into it, since the next race is on a terrible circuit, and on top of that will be shown with a tape delay in the USA :( Wish SPEED would show the race live and then they could show the race again on Fox at the normal time. Silverstone will be delayed as well :|

Oh well.
Get him to watch it on the BBC? It would educate them more.

dubc35

Get him to watch it on the BBC? It would educate them more.
Yeah, I haven't watched a Speed/Fox broadcast in years. It's terrible but it's terrible kind of because it has to be. They need to constantly, especially on Fox, explain what everything is and what is going on since the majority of Americans aren't familiar with F1.

Chris R

Yeah, I haven't watched a Speed/Fox broadcast in years. It's terrible but it's terrible kind of because it has to be. They need to constantly, especially on Fox, explain what everything is and what is going on since the majority of Americans aren't familiar with F1.

Which is good, because he doesn't know anything about F1 (or motorsports in general really). He needs the announcers to help him along. And SPEED gets way too much hate, they are not nearly as bad as they used to be. Plus, the odds of him waking up at 4AM and then finding a stream of the BBC stuff is slim, he isn't really good with computers.

So I guess the time delay isn't that big of a deal for him since he would be watching the race later in the afternoon here, several hours after the race is actually done. Just kinda sucks that he didn't want to start watching in time to see Canada last week and instead will make Valencia his first race :| At least Silverstone should be a bit better.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So my sister is in charge of booking tickets for Austin, and when she got around to it today, all that's left is general admission. Aparently they are building more stands due to the high demand.

Bah.

Davidson breaks back in Le Mans accident

Anthony Davidson suffered a broken back in a large crash just five hours into the Le Mans 24 Hours on Saturday evening. The Hemel Hempstead driver, F1 pundit for Sky Sports, was launched into the air after making contact with a back-marker’s Ferrari.

While Davidson sat third overall for Toyota, having moved to the debutant Japanese team after Peugeot pulled out, the incident occurred at the end of the Mulsanne Straight. As the Englishman moved inside to lap Piergiuseppe Perrazini, the latter moved in the same direction to ensure high-speed contact between the two cars.

Davidson was sent skyward before suffering a heavy impact with the tyre barriers, with the Ferrari spinning into the barriers before rolling and finishing the crash upside-down. Both men escaped the moment unaided, but the extent of Davidson’s injuries were revealed in check-ups at hospital shortly afterwards.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/le-mans-series-news/280094/davidson-breaks-back-in-le-mans-accident/

SkyPad is going to be even more boring now.

And Austin seems to do pretty well so far.

Austin considers adding additional seating

“We have experienced incredible demand for reserved grandstand seating tickets and customers have quickly purchased our available inventory,” explains Julie Loignon, Circuit Vice President of Public and Community Relations.

“As such, we are considering installing more reserved seats between Turns 9 and 10 and between Turns 11 and 12 in place of other types of seating that had been planned for those areas.

“We will release more information about new grandstand inventory and when additional reserved seats might be available for purchase as soon as possible.”
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/280099/austin-considers-adding-additional-seating/

I hope NJ will do just as well next year.

mblitek

Is there a website where I can watch races from last season?

Maybe...

In other news I got a letter from HRT today! It came with a credit card type thing/ID. I'll take pictures later!

Needless to say I'm all giddy with excitement and will cheer for them!............

Omiee

What a busy few days it has been. Missed this thread.

Any of you guys watch the 2011 season review? Pretty interesting stuff seeing how they got more inboard radio in there than we get during races.

Also what is the answer to the bonus question?

Omiee

Did you have a good seat?

Yeah i was driving.

LOL man i absolutely love this guy, im a huge huge fan. Some of the people im a fan of are mostly dull or dicks ( messi, kobe ) but this guy is so much fun im sure i would have a great time having a drink with the guy.

Letterman was a bit of a dick though. Before you have the two time world champion on your show do a bit of research about F1 dude.

He was talking with disrespect about the race half of the show because its not nascar or indy.

New to me: Vettel drives in the proposed New Jersey track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=odogYmLKM60

So good.

That looks really nice. The view is amazing. Imagine this being a night race with the background, or a abu dhabi kind of race.

EDIT: Thanks goldrusher

mblitek

Letterman was a bit of a dick though. Before you have the two time world champion on your show do a bit of research about F1 dude.

He was talking with disrespect about the race half of the show because its not nascar or indy.

Letterman knows man, he has multiple racing teams...it's all part of the schtick!

Gor@n

Neo Member
Rumour circulating Webs is gonna lead the Porsche return to LeMans. I'd take the info with a grain of salt.

Webber-to-Porsche-2014-rumour.jpg

Ark

Rumour circulating Webs is gonna lead the Porsche return to LeMans. I'd take the info with a grain of salt.

2014 is the year the new regulations come in, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Webber retiring in 2014, spear heading the Porsche Le Mans return would be a pretty big career rebound too. Would love to see this happen actually, I'm not really seeing Webber (or Button for that matter) last beyond 2014.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Webber had a nice long interview during the LeMans and he was very knowledgeable and seemed genuinely interested in driving in the sport.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
He did LeMans before with Mercedes I think? That year was the famous flying Mercedes duo.
Lots of F1 retirees doing a stint in it this year.

mblitek

Mark is somewhat linked to Porsche too. He has a GT2 RS and has done some media work for Porsche before. But, it is pretty easy to make up an article based on nothing but opinion and skepticism so who knows?

Pirelli on Valencia:

“We are expecting a fairly straightforward race, with either two or three-stops depending on which tactics the teams use – although one team tried a one-stopper last year as well. The weather should be consistently warm throughout the weekend, which should lead to fewer variables in terms of temperature, so there probably won’t be many big surprises to emerge.”

Valencia also marks the first time since the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona that the Super Soft compound – used in Monaco and Montreal – will not be on-track.

“We’ve used the combination of Soft (yellow markings) and Medium (white markings) more than any other line-up so far this year, as it has shown itself to be a perfect compromise between performance and durability, allowing drivers to show their speed when they need to but also benefit from longer stints in the race,” Hembery adds.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/280104/pirelli-valencia-emphasis-on-qualifying/

Only one DRS zone this time:
The FIA has confirmed to organisers of the European Grand Prix that the sole DRS zone for this weekend's race will be located on the back stretch, beginning after the iconic swing bridge. This means that the second zone towards the Turn 17 hairpin has been removed.

Should a car be close enough to that in front when coming off the bridge, DRS will be available – from Lap 3 after the start or a restart – through the left-handed Turn 11. This allows drivers the possibility of increased speed along the back stretch of the port and an ideal passing opportunity under braking for Turn 12, where Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber battled last year.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/280106/valencia-reduced-to-single-drs-zone/

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Euro 2012 thread got me thinking. What if we had dramatic title changes to relay what race weekend it is and any other interesting developments?

2014 is the year the new regulations come in, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Webber retiring in 2014, spear heading the Porsche Le Mans return would be a pretty big career rebound too. Would love to see this happen actually, I'm not really seeing Webber (or Button for that matter) last beyond 2014.

Webber and Button team-mates at Porsche, now you got me hungry.

Edmond Dantès;39027515 said:
The Euro 2012 thread got me thinking. What if we had dramatic title changes to relay what race weekend it is and any other interesting developments?

Don't we have a mod that is interested in the sport? That'd be perfect.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| Of don't sleep on your keyboard, here comes Valencia!

Shaneus

That's an article from an Australian magazine, so I'd take that with a shitload of salt. But having said that, it would make a lot of sense, wouldn't really piss anyone off in F1-land (unlike Vettel's move) and give Webber a chance at the next biggest motor racing victory this side of the F1 WDC.

Yup. As a massive fan of his, I think that'd be a great move. Means he'd have a much longer lifespan in racing than if he just faded away into something like Indycar a la Rubens.

Xun

Edmond Dantès;39027515 said:
Sounds good to me.

AcridMeat

Banned
I wouldn't like the thread title changes only because I don't watch the races live and I'd be afraid of spoiling myself via subscriptions.

Shaneus

Eh, I'm siding with Acrid on this one. Keep it as it is, or modify it as needed with topical, yet not race weekend-related stuff.

operon

Eh, I'm siding with Acrid on this one. Keep it as it is, or modify it as needed with topical, yet not race weekend-related stuff.

A topical title relating to the weekend, like someone posted about Monaco, "you shall not pass" would be apt as long as it was a title for the weekend and not concerning the actual winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom