• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

Carlos Slim jr is saying he doesn't think the Mexico GP will happen next year. I hope he's just being cautious. Cause I really want to see F1 in Mexico.

I remember reading that football coach jurgen klinsmann had looked in to the training regime of f1 drivers, in particular vettel, and found that they were doing far more than footballers do.
I seem to recall reading report a few years back (sorry, no link, it was in print and probably around 2001) where they took footballers, tennis players, marathon runners, body builders, F1 drivers, olympic athletes, rugby players etc and subjected them to a wide variety of physical tests. While never being top in any of the physical exercises, the F1 drivers were usually 2nd... and in the end, the F1 drivers were deemed to be the fittest overall.

"Is motorracing a sport?"

lol

Shaneus

I seem to recall reading report a few years back (sorry, no link, it was in print and probably around 2001) where they took footballers, tennis players, marathon runners, body builders, F1 drivers, olympic athletes, rugby players etc and subjected them to a wide variety of physical tests. While never being top in any of the physical exercises, the F1 drivers were usually 2nd... and in the end, the F1 drivers were deemed to be the fittest overall.
So the F1 drivers were the Mark Webber of all athletes?
So sorry, Mark :(

mclem

It'd be good to see Alex Brundle and Joshua Hill in the sport soon.

I wonder if Martin would retire from commentary if he joined? It'd certainly be very difficult for him to be detached from the events on-track.

Although I guess post-race interviews would be amusing.

Ark

I wonder if Martin would retire from commentary if he joined? It'd certainly be very difficult for him to be detached from the events on-track.

Although I guess post-race interviews would be amusing.

Well Murray Walker was very close to Damon Hill when he was racing and he had no problems with it, other than welling up when Hill won the title.

Omiee

Stefano Domenicali is sure Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel 'could coexist' at Ferrari

You guys seen the vettel to ferrari rumors?

Would be awesome to see Vettel at Ferrari in 2014. At the moment i love the RBR team and
christian horner is an awesome guy. I think he should stay with them for at least another year before the new regulations.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100512

"That wouldn't be a problem: both are drivers who are always looking for a new challenge and to be in the same team would be a new and big challenge," he said.

"They would both think they can bear the other one, as they are sure of themselves and Stefano would do what was required to so that they were treated equally.

"It would be a case of doing what I did at Brabham in 1979 with Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet. I told them, 'guys it's simple: whichever one of you is quickest is the team number one.'"

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Stefano Domenicali is sure Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel 'could coexist' at Ferrari

You guys seen the vettel to ferrari rumors?

Would be awesome to see Vettel at Ferrari in 2014. At the moment i love the RBR team and
christian horner is an awesome guy. I think he should stay with them for at least another year before the new regulations.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100512
I see those two working together quite well.

kharma45

It's probably gonna happen but I'd hate to see Vettel come to Ferrari :( I'd be so conflicted with support Ferrari but disliking Vettel.

Loxley

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I thought I'd poke my head in here and say that I just watched the 'Senna' documentary a few days ago and loved it. I know pretty much nothing about F1 racing but man...I was fascinated the whole time. His rivalry with Prost was something out of a fictional movie. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix...what a travesty of an event. I'm actually surprised 'Senna' didn't get any Oscar attention, it's one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time, and I was almost in bitter, manly tears near the end.

The doc actually got me interested in learning more about Formula 1, so after I watched the movie I was glad to find out that no drivers have been killed since Senna and that his and Raztenberger's deaths brought out a bunch of new safety regulations. I also watched the tribute that Top Gear did to him two years ago...very touching stuff.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think its pretty well known. They released thousands more tickets the other day for two new grandstands, and they sold out in less than 10 minutes.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Not to derail the thread or anything, but I thought I'd poke my head in here and say that I just watched the 'Senna' documentary a few days ago and loved it. I know pretty much nothing about F1 racing but man...I was fascinated the whole time. His rivalry with Prost was something out of a fictional movie. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix...what a travesty of an event. I'm actually surprised 'Senna' didn't get any Oscar attention, it's one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time, and I was almost in bitter, manly tears near the end.

The doc actually got me interested in learning more about Formula 1, so after I watched the movie I was glad to find out that no drivers have been killed since Senna and that his and Raztenberger's deaths brought out a bunch of new safety regulations. I also watched the tribute that Top Gear did to him two years ago...very touching stuff.
Hey Loxley, nice to see another Tolkien gaffer here. :)

If you're looking for more F1 docs, I'd wholeheartedly recommend; Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Don't let the title put you off, it's a well made BBC documentary and very thought provoking.

AcridMeat

Banned
Not to derail the thread or anything, but I thought I'd poke my head in here and say that I just watched the 'Senna' documentary a few days ago and loved it. I know pretty much nothing about F1 racing but man...I was fascinated the whole time. His rivalry with Prost was something out of a fictional movie. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix...what a travesty of an event. I'm actually surprised 'Senna' didn't get any Oscar attention, it's one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time, and I was almost in bitter, manly tears near the end
That's because for the documentary, it was kind of represented as fiction. It was exceptionally one sided in terms of how that relationship was presented.

mblitek

Couldn't watch with sound, but saw the first few seconds. Glad he's smiling! And also glad about the Russian Helicopters deal... must go some way to ease some of the abrasiveness that would've come with almost *any* Russian in an English team.

Hope he can start matching Heikki soon. If the both of them can be that consistent, no reason they couldn't start nudging the STRs or even Saubers (though the latter is unlikely) before the year is out.

Yep and the other big sponsor, Sibur.

Heikki does have a couple years on him in the Caterham so let's see what happens by the end of the season.

In other news...Bernie is in trouble for bribes...surprise, surprise! http://www.greaseandgears.com/bernie-ecclestone-corrupt-say-it-isnt-so/

kharma45

I got Sky HD back again so I'll be able to watch the GP live this weekend :D

Pretty good deal too, 3 months free then £10.25 for the year after that, but £25 Quidco cashback (or Top Cashback if you prefer) and £100 of Marks and Spencer vouchers so essentially left around £35 better off with free HD for a year so not too shabby.

Edmond Dantès;39079161 said:
What's to dislike about Vettel? One of the least offensive drivers on the grid.

Just his finger celebration really grates with me and he's just come across as a bit of a whiny bitch to me.

He's fine for the most part out of the car (did warm to him when he was on Top Gear) but there is just something I don't like about him when he's in the car.

Just his finger celebration really grates with me and he's just come across as a bit of a whiny bitch to me.

He's fine for the most part out of the car (did warm to him when he was on Top Gear) but there is just something I don't like about him when he's in the car.

Press conferences or interviews always seem so incredibly long with him. It's like he's the extreme opposite of Kimi.

*vettelconference.gif*

mblitek

Yep and the other big sponsor, Sibur.

Heikki does have a couple years on him in the Caterham so let's see what happens by the end of the season.

In other news...Bernie is in trouble for bribes...surprise, surprise! http://www.greaseandgears.com/bernie-ecclestone-corrupt-say-it-isnt-so/

Whoops, looks like I'm late to the party but click anyways! Report any errors!

Press conferences or interviews always seem so incredibly long with him. It's like he's the extreme opposite of Kimi.

*vettelconference.gif*

This is what I "hate" about Vettel. He's such a funny likeable guy but I have something against him because he's at Red Bull. If he went to Ferrari I'd be more enraged haha.

Petrov seems to be a cool down to Earth guy but I think his English lets him down and his somewhat different cultural values. I really liked watching the Caterham F1 interview with him.

Shaneus

This is what I "hate" about Vettel. He's such a funny likeable guy but I have something against him because he's at Red Bull. If he went to Ferrari I'd be more enraged haha.
Not sure why you'd have something against him just because he's at RBR. Unless it's because he's in the same team as Webber... then I understand ;)

Petrov seems to be a cool down to Earth guy but I think his English lets him down and his somewhat different cultural values. I really liked watching the Caterham F1 interview with him.
That reminds me, I have to watch that interview still. Even going from the start of the year, he's still a guy I want to see do well along with Heikki. Caterham's roster doesn't really come across as a team to be mixing with the backmarkers, so I hope they can pull away from that sooner rather than later. I do predict big(gish) things for them, though... mainly because you CAN see that they have potential, whereas Virgin and HRT don't ever look like coming off the back rows of the grid.

TylerD

Always nice to lie in bed and check up on F1 Gaf before falling asleep. You guys do a great job of posting good content. I'm always up for a watch of that TG Senna film and the Rosberg training video was great.

Fantastic news about the extra seats in Austin. I hope we end up with some kind of support schedule and look forward to hopefully meeting up with some of you and drinking lots of beer.

mblitek

Not sure why you'd have something against him just because he's at RBR. Unless it's because he's in the same team as Webber... then I understand ;)

That reminds me, I have to watch that interview still. Even going from the start of the year, he's still a guy I want to see do well along with Heikki. Caterham's roster doesn't really come across as a team to be mixing with the backmarkers, so I hope they can pull away from that sooner rather than later. I do predict big(gish) things for them, though... mainly because you CAN see that they have potential, whereas Virgin and HRT don't ever look like coming off the back rows of the grid.

I don't actually have anything against him, I like the guy and his approach. But, Dietrich Mateschitz is a douche. I liked Red Bull as the underdogs with Coulthard & Webber. If only Coulthard stayed one more year...

Yeah if anything Heikki has raised his game and status as a F1 driver. Plus, add Petrov who certainly has skill but needs a bit of refinement and you have two great drivers who can outperform the car. Don't forget Giedo van der Gaarde the GP2 driver. He's equally talented.

Nolan.

As much as I dislike it the signs do indeed seem like Vettel will be heading to Ferrari. On a separate note after watching the press conference Lewis confirmed that they haven't had an upgrade since Barcelona, which makes me wonder if Mclaren is focusing more on the way they set up the car now. It will be interesting to see how the whole development race turns out because Ferrari seems on a charge and Redbull seems to be making gains too, I still expect Lotus to fall behind at some point.

Nolan.

Yeah I felt it was interesting that he seems to have a say about team-mate at Ferrari, though the 'No problem' relating to whether he wouldn't mind either is pure diplomacy. I don't think Fernando would mind Vettel because judging by his comments and seemingly his recent relationship with Lewis he thinks he has the upper hand. However if Lewis was to head for Ferrari and say he had similar issues like Jenson is having now at Mclaren I doubt Fernando would like to share his set-up info etc, i'm sure there is mutual respect but I dunno...

I think what is kind of sad though is just how freely all of this talk is now which obviously suggests that Massa is out already.

Nolan.

Yeah, "no problem" meaning as long Alonso is the focus on Ferrari and Hamilton/Vettel bump down to #2 driver status and race for constructor points only :p

I cant see any of those 3 drivers being comfortable having each other as team mates fighting for the WDC.

I think Vettel would be fine having either and to some extent Lewis and Fernando would probably be fine with Vettel as a team-mate. The unknown for me at the moment is Fernando, because whilst he does indeed seem like a changed man, he hasn't really had to deal with the pressure of a team-mate hot on his heels for a long while. Lewis seems to have dealt ok with Jenson and Vettel seems to respond similarly when Mark has the upper-hand. However saying that a lot of it probably boils down to them thinking that ultimately they are better than their respective team-mates anyway but yeah I would like to see Fernando challenged again but I doubt it would be fair game at Ferrari (as it is now).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, so Ferrari with Alonso/Vettel. Then who goes to RBR? Button/Webber? Rosberg/Webber? And if Webber leaves in 2014 for LeMans, do they go Rosberg/Perez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom