• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Trying to cancel my order, but Google is making it hard as hell. If anything, they should come out an say thy're refunding the outrageous mandatory shipping charges who pre-ordered but haven't received their device yet.

SuperPac

Trying to cancel my order, but Google is making it hard as hell. If anything, they should come out an say thy're refunding the outrageous mandatory shipping charges who pre-ordered but haven't received their device yet.

I kinda suspect that the shipping charge isn't all going to "shipping" but it's to make a little profit back on a $199 device that isn't being sold for that price by anyone but Google and isn't available at that price at retail.

Lexxon

Talked to a seemingly knowledgeable dude at Staples who claimed that any stores selling the tablets today were prior to street date and face a $10k fine. I'm not sure if that's true, seeing that other retailers are selling out in full force...

But he did also tell me they can start selling them tomorrow, and the shipment should (could?) be around 10AM. I may pop in around then.

Still wishing I could track down a $25 off 75 or $30 off 100 coupon, although I know a lot of those are fraudulent :\

Google, you're still a terrible company who doesn't know shit about retail and should be ashamed of yourselves for your shitty customer service and disgusting behaviour.

But mine shipped.

But fuck google. Never forget.

Cipherr

Still can't believe that i haven't even been charged yet. I'm not going to get mine until the end of the week at this rate :(

You think thats bad? I bought my Nexus like the week before last during the holding point until the ban got stayed. When they resumed shipping I got mine like last Thursday or something. They were supposed to charge me when it shipped. Ive already received it and everything. They sent me a email on Friday night saying "Your package has been shipped" after I had already received it. Then today I got some e-mail about 'Welcome to your XXX phone" with digital instruction manuals etc.

Still haven't been charged. They sent through the initial hold for the cost of the phone, then it eventually just expired, they haven't gone and matched the funds yet.

You know shits bad when a company isn't even prompt about taking the money they are owed. Especially after the product has already been received. They are clearly having some logistical issues over there lately, I suspect its all centered around the Nexus 7 launch.

Google, you're still a terrible company who doesn't know shit about retail and should be ashamed of yourselves for your shitty customer service and disgusting behaviour.

But mine shipped.

But fuck google. Never forget.

"Mid July" lol. Could have definitely been handled better, but they haven't screwed up that time frame at all. Yet....

"Mid July" lol. Could have definitely been handled better, but they haven't screwed up that time frame at all. Yet....
Dude, I pre-ordered a product. I got it a week after it came out in stores. Why? Because I supported the company goddamn selling it. Not only that, they did it with ZERO communication other than their vagueness and excuses. When one pre-orders a product, one expects to get it when it comes out. You know, like with movies, games, anything else in existence. Especially when you're an early orderer. They botched this one. They deserve the heat. Especially with the lack of communication.

Salaadin

Dude, I pre-ordered a product. I got it a week after it came out in stores. Why? Because I supported the company goddamn selling it. Not only that, they did it with ZERO communication other than their vagueness and excuses. When one pre-orders a product, one expects to get it when it comes out. You know, like with movies, games, anything else in existence. Especially when you're an early orderer. They botched this one. They deserve the heat. Especially with the lack of communication.

Lol. You don't even mention the shipping cost. Two day shipping, sure. But that means shit when they simply don't ship your item.

Cipherr

/shrug, I just dont think there will be much heat. It needed to be much later in shipment than this for there to be noticeable public outcry. If they are actually shipping them mid July like they said, not many are going to care that some retailers sold it early and were then subsequently asked by Google to stop doing so until the 15th (i.e. Mid July).

IMO the bigger issue was that there was no release date. At all... Just a timeframe followed by an OK for B&M retailers to start selling stock yesterday.

Sanjuro

Couldn't disagree with you more. I'm getting mine tomorrow.

Mid-July / 2-3 Weeks.

Deal with it.

Lol. You don't even mention the shipping cost. Two day shipping, sure. But that means shit when they simply don't ship your item.
I paid 20 dollar shipping too, that was the double insult! Good point.

/shrug, I just dont think there will be much heat. It needed to be much later in shipment than this for there to be noticeable public outcry. If they are actually shipping them mid July like they said, not many are going to care that some retailers sold it early and were then subsequently asked by Google to stop doing so until the 15th (i.e. Mid July).

IMO the bigger issue was that there was no release date. At all... Just a timeframe followed by an OK for B&M retailers to start selling stock yesterday.
I don't think there will be much heat toward them, but they deserve all the heat they do get. Shitty experience. The lack of release date was included in my complete lack of communication argument. You're supposed to take care of your own yo, guess that's not how google works.

Mid-July / 2-3 Weeks.

Deal with it.
sorry for being a consumer that expects more when he's plopping down hundreds plus a large shipping cost. You should sit there and thank consumers like me, the ones that speak up and demand a better experience.

kehs

Banned

It comes out mid July.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Google just needs to take a page from Apple and not announce something until it's ready to ship. They need to step up their game.

Sanjuro

sorry for being a consumer that expects more when he's plopping down hundreds plus a large shipping cost. You should sit there and thank consumers like me, the ones that speak up and demand a better experience.

Other than having to call twice to cancel my 8GB, I've had a wonderful experience.

Google just needs to take a page from Apple and not announce something until it's ready to ship. They need to step up their game.

...except Apple has done the same thing numerous times.

MercuryLS

Banned
I wanted to give my initial impressions on the Nexus 7:

Build Quality: Not quite up there with the iPad, but it is better from a practical standpoint. For extended reading the faux-leather/rubber back is far more confortable and grippy in comparison to the aluminum backs on iPad. This is a far more robust looking and feeling product than you'd expect for $200.

Weight: at .7lbs, it's fantastic for long form reading. I would love it to be even lighter, but I don't think that's possible for quite some time. As it is right now, it's the most comfortable 7" i've used (Playbook and Kindle Fire are closer to 1lbs in comparison).

Jelly Bean/Apps: This is where I have to be a bit negative. Jelly Bean is pretty smooth, but it's not perfect, still some minor stutter here and there. There's also this weird "snap back" that drives me batty, if you're quickly swiping through something (like a book), it will randomly snap back to the last screen...this happens often, never seen this on iOS, it's as if the touch screen is TOO sensitive and it's picking up some spurious reading from your finger when you're swiping too quickly. Most apps work well enough, but few are optimized for the display. The ones that are (TED Talks is superb) are really really great, so it makes the non-optimized apps look that much worse. Also I've noticed that in many games there is this tiny bit of lag that pops up every few seconds, it really sucks and takes you out of the experience. I don't know if this is a JB problem or a game-by-game basis problem, but I've seen it in many titles. Major Mayhem has this problem and it really gets in the way of gameplay, I tried the game in the iPhone and iPad with no issues, just completely smooth on those platforms. I hope this will get fixed, because as it is right now, many apps just aren't as buttery smooth as I expected them to be.

Has anyone noticed how the colors on the screen are either kinda dull or just completely washed out? I've seen at least 3 including mine that look awful.

dwebo

wow, the built-in speakers on mine are junk, like even worse than the junky shit they put into cheap monitors. around 40-50% volume or thereabouts, there's significant distortion on basically everything I've thrown at it

headphones are fine, with no discernible noise/static (I'm no audiophile, though)

There isn't much blame to force onto them, except for the impatience of people.
yeah silly me for pre-ordering a product and expecting it when it comes out and after having paid a high shipping cost. Silly me for expecting some more communication. I'm sorry google. You've done no wrong here.

SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MercuryLS

Banned
wow, the built-in speakers on mine are junk, like even worse than the junky shit they put into cheap monitors. around 40-50% volume or thereabouts, there's significant distortion on basically everything I've thrown at it

headphones are fine, with no discernible noise/static (I'm no audiophile, though)

The default volume level is so damn low too, is there a way to boost this?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
...except Apple has done the same thing numerous times.
So? Apple likes to release items the same day they are announced and I'm saying Google should follow that, not when Apple decides to break from their norm. I also hate when Apple announces something and then ships it 3 months later.

Shuusui

So, grabbed it at Sam's Club today. They called me back saying that they got the OK from HQ to sell it. Not sure if this is company wide, but it might be worth a shot if you have a club near your home.

Below, I'm going to include the steps I took to purchase it. But first, photo evidence.

RtuwH.jpg

4IzTn.jpg

Here's what I did. If you're a member, feel free to ignore steps 2 and 3.

1. Called the Sam's Club stores near me to ask if they have item number Item #: 793929 in stock
  2. If you're not a member, download this PDF and tell the cashier you were told you could use it by their customer service line (it's an official URL, too) that it's valid for a one-day pass
  3. Provide your information, and be ready to spend $24 extra for the pleasure of using Sam's Club.
  4. Buy and enjoy!
Nexus-kun is charging right now. Cannot wait to tinker with this badboy.

Sanjuro

yeah silly me for pre-ordering a product and expecting it when it comes out and after having paid a high shipping cost. Silly me for expecting some more communication. I'm sorry google. You've done no wrong here.

SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SHAMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

...you're making my point.

Not sure that I'm following you.
me neither. But here are facts:

- I pre-ordered early + paid high shipping cost
- got it later than everyone else, including people who ordered way after me
- got it the week after it came out

Google could have offered better communication, I think just about everyone agrees on that. And to think there are some people sitting out there still waiting. Not good at all. Rather than offering google no faults, I place blame where it should be. Never blame consumers. Number one mistake you can do. And if google is doing that like you are? then they should feel more ashamed of themselves. It was just a messy experience. The thing literally launched in stores with zero release date. Ridiculous for a major product from a major company. But I digress.

You can order from them all you want. I've learned my lesson. As have many others who feel the same.

Cheebo

Banned

Mid-July / 2-3 Weeks.

Deal with it.
It came out Friday. It should be at everyone who preordered on the first shipments door that Friday. Which is how Apple always does it for iPad. Preordering online guarantees it will be at your door the day it's in stores.

kehs

Banned
me neither. But here are facts:

- I pre-ordered early + paid high shipping cost
- got it later than everyone else, including people who ordered way after me
- got it the week after it came out

Google could have offered better communication, I think just about everyone agrees on that. And to think there are some people sitting out there still waiting. Not good at all. Rather than offering google no faults, I place blame where it should be. Never blame consumers. Number one mistake you can do. And if google is doing that like you are? then they should feel more ashamed of themselves. It was just a messy experience. The thing literally launched in stores with zero release date. Ridiculous for a major product from a major company. But I digress.

You can order from them all you want. I've learned my lesson. As have many others who feel the same.

We're at a week since launch now? You use that time machine to get us to next weeks breaking bad.

Sanjuro

Still, you choose to place the order with Google under the "2-3 Weeks / Mid-July" information, paying the 2-Day Shipping Option. They have lived up to this. Anything else is just coming from someone who is impatient

We're at a week since launch now? You use that time machine to get us to next weeks breaking bad.
It came out the previous week did it not? Now we're into a new week.

Still, you choose to place the order with Google under the "2-3 Weeks / Mid-July" information, paying the 2-Day Shipping Option. They have lived up to this. Anything else is just coming from someone who is impatient
yeah my fault lolloll

Argyle

Gotta say after owning the Nexus 7 since Friday, I love it. I haven't touched either my Xoom or Thrive, not even my Galaxy Nexus, well except for calls. Google has it spot on. Sure i miss the expandable storage but between mapping drives using File Manager, Dropbox and Google drive, it's not really a huge issue.

Also for those who purchased the Moko Case for the Nexus 7 from Amazon, check your email. They're given us a free replacement, the new case will include the wake/sleep function. This is the email they just sent me;

"Dear buyer:

Thank you for your recent purchase of "MoKo case for Nexus 7 tablet"
from BSCstore via Amazon. And we are writing to let you know that we
will be providing a free replacement case that fully supports the
"automatic wake/sleep" function on your new Nexus 7 tablet. This is an
unannounced feature that we were not able to include in our first
batch of cases that were already shipped to you. But we will stand
behind our products and provide a fully compatible replacement within
5-7 days. You don't have to ship the current unit back and can use it
as the lay-over unit before you receive the updated version. We will
be sending you another email with details on how to obtain the
replacement units when they are ready.

Again,we want o thank you for your business. We understand you have
many choices and appreciate your choosing MoKo case to protect you new
Nexus 7.Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we
need to do to make this purchase a right one for you.

Best Regards,
Jim Pollak
BSCstore on Amazon"

I got excited and ordered one of those, but then I realized they put up a (more expensive) listing for the new model so I think it's unlikely they will do this for me.

Hopefully Amazon processes my cancellation in time :p

Cartman86

Banned

How could one not be annoyed when people who not only ordered a week after you, but simply walked into a store got it before you? I would be annoyed.

In this case, yes. You seem to be the source of your problems.
the delusion is overwhelming

google should have done a better job. Almost everyone agrees. The fact that you so staunchly disagree is staggering to me personally. Mindblowing. Even people that got theirs in a timely fashion agree. Even people who bought theirs in stores agree.

But I guess there always has to be someone fighting the good fight.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
not quite sure how to describe it. fuzzy/static? I expected a bit at high volumes, but this amount at mid-volume makes it unusable

I hit the defect lottery apparently :lol

You should get it exchanged. I'm not hearing any, but i'm not an audiophile so maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Top Bottom