• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil: If Darksiders 2 sells 4-5 mil copies, [Updated with dev comments]

Effect

I think DS2 could get to 4M, it's not impossible. There isn't any competition during it's release time and didn't a recent study show this being one of the most anticapated games of the year? If this was coming out in November it would be screwed but I could see it posting big numbers quickly.

Everybody throws around Zelda comparison's, well Skyward Sword sold 3.42M copies in it's first month, was exclusive to one console, it required a controller not everyone had (Wiimotion+), and it released at a time when it's platform was dieing, with it's successor already announced. I know people will think it's crazy to compare DS2 to Zelda, (even though people do it all the time) but when you factor in the positives that it has right now and look at the things going against the last Zelda game I could see DS2 doing near first month SS numbers, and if it can sell 3M in it's first month, with a Wii U version coming later in the year as well it should get to 4M.

Skyward Sword sold to Zelda fans and Zelda is a much bigger brand. It has a built in audience that has been nurtured for decades. Just because it sold very well out of the gate doesn't mean a similar game will have repeat of it's success on another system. Who it's marketed to is still a factor and where those people are far more likely to be. It will have it's fans on the PS3/360 but I do think this is a good opportunity for THQ to really sell the Wii U version as there is a void wide open for them to fill if they play their cards right. If only Nintendo let them talk about that version.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone logical has already accepted that this will be the last Darksiders, not because of Darksiders itself but because of THQ in general. Hell, I was sure they would go under before this came out.,

AOC83

Banned
This game won´t sell 4-5 millions, if they seriously believe that they are completely retarded (same goes für EA and Dead Space).

Pyrrhus

4 to 5 million? This puts a pall over the game before it even comes out. Since there isn't going to be a sequel to this chapter, which is part of a larger, interlocking story featuring all four Horsemen, it's fair to ask why one would want to deliberately get invested in a story that will end on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

wrowa

Sad news,i think the wiiu port won't do much good either since it's a late port and the majority who want to buy this game most likely already have at least a ps3,360 or a pc

I can imagine that Darksiders 2 will sell decently on Wii U, considering that it's Zelda-like nature should resonate rather well with the Nintendo fanbase and that it's probably one of the few solid titles available at launch. It's not going to be a smash-hit though, obviously.

I think DS2 could get to 4M, it's not impossible. There isn't any competition during it's release time and didn't a recent study show this being one of the most anticapated games of the year? If this was coming out in November it would be screwed but I could see it posting big numbers quickly.

Everybody throws around Zelda comparison's, well Skyward Sword sold 3.42M copies in it's first month, was exclusive to one console, it required a controller not everyone had (Wiimotion+), and it released at a time when it's platform was dieing, with it's successor already announced. I know people will think it's crazy to compare DS2 to Zelda, (even though people do it all the time) but when you factor in the positives that it has right now and look at the things going against the last Zelda game I could see DS2 doing near first month SS numbers, and if it can sell 3M in it's first month, with a Wii U version coming later in the year as well it should get to 4M.

I'm not sure if you are serious.

Zaventem

Man DS is not going to sell 5 million copies.So far this " 5 mill or else!" attitude really disgust me.You'll probably get some gullible sucker to purchase 10 copies of your game if though, gamers are like that.

TriGen

I just need THQ to stay alive long enough to get South Park out. With targets like this and South Park needing 2 million just to break even THQ is going to die, but just let me play SP first.

Seriously as long as I can get SP I'll be happy. There projection for SP are even crazier then their DS2 projections if you ask me, it would seem to have a built-in fan-base but not broad appeal. Darksiders should appeal to more gamers, I think they could squeeze out 4M.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I got Darksiders 1 from Green Man Gaming 2 weeks ago, and haven't played it yet. I'll do it right after finishing Driver SF, so if I like it I'll probably end up buying the sequel.

TriGen

Very serious. One of the most anticapated games of the year, multi-platform, releasing in a month with no competition, and essentially re-releasing with a new consoles launch later this year, yeah crazy to think it can sell 4M.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Very serious. One of the most anticapated games of the year, multi-platform, releasing in a month with no competition, and essentially re-releasing with a new consoles launch later this year, yeah crazy to think it can sell 4M.

Sleeping Dogs, same day, man. Do not take it lightly.

Miles X

Er ... they've seen how most games sell these days right? 4 - 5m ... they must be hoping WiiU version does well then.

Cmon now, lets not get carried away. It has excellent mind-share with the public and it launches on the same day on 3 platforms [fourth one will come on the launch of the Nintendo's brand new home console].

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...e-titles-join-list-of-2012s-most-anticipated/

It will break 2 million easily.

Don't doubt it'll break 2m easily, but those rankings are naff, Transformers is also at a high % and that's going to bomb.

EYEL1NER

Well that sucks.
I liked Darksiders a lot too. I am still not crazy about 2 not being a sequel but I still plan on buying it.

Oh well...

wrowa

Cmon now, lets not get carried away. It has excellent mind-share with the public and it launches on the same day on 3 platforms [fourth one will come on the launch of the Nintendo's brand new home console].

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...e-titles-join-list-of-2012s-most-anticipated/

One of you has to be Jason Rubin, I'm sure of it!

ironcreed

Banned
It's funny, Darksiders II is the kind of game that makes me think of how games used to be because of it's old school approach in design and content. So it is ironic for me to see these modern day publisher expectations placed upon it that it almost certainly will not meet. I call a 1.5 million max, maybe 2 million, if it's lucky. I just don't see this selling like hot cakes come October and onward, no matter how great. But I know I did my part and pre-ordered, and make no mistake, I think it truly will be great.

It seems that 2013 is going to be a good year for THQ:

- Company of Heroes 2
- Metro: Last Light
- South Park: The Stick of Truth

TBD:

- inSANE
- Homefornt 2
- Saints Row 4
- 1666 (?)

And they have to show Turtle Rock Studios’ FPS and Patrice Désilets’ Unannounced Title.

I wish they survive, They have great studios.

True, they do have some big stuff coming out. Let's just hope they don't all have to sell 4-5 million copies. :/

TriGen

F1 is a brand people actually know and care about, Darksiders is Darksiders.

People may have heard of F1 but it's not on any most anticapated games list, whether it be a study of consumers (nielsen) or a media list.

Also do people seriously not know what thread I was refrencing? Gaf is slipping.

DieH@rd

Banned
Until a week ago I didn't even know the game existed. Now I want to buy it just as much as Darksiders 2.

And many people wont know about Sleeping Dogs even a year from now. Darksiders II has much wider reach after 3+ years of marketing put into that franchise.

Fox Mulder

Good luck with that THQ.

I kind of want the crash to happen. Good games shouldn't have to be made to appeal to everyone and sell 5 million copies to exist.

We don't really know the time frame he's referring too for the 4-5 million number. If he's talking about the first couple months of sales though there's no way. If they sell 3 million copies of this I would be quite surprised.

Zaventem

I call a 1.5 million max, but I guess I'll hope for the best.

You know what revisiting what i said it may be able to do 3 - 4 million.It's weird how all the would probably get "90 on metacritic games" got pushed to 2012.Sleeping dogs looks like ass to me and DS1 already has established 1.2 million fanbase( probably higher since those numbers are old).I have no idea how nintendo fans will treat 3rd party games now even if it's a better quality some might scream zelda rip off.. because you know that's how all fanboys are.Hell you even see journalist doing it when DS2 has it's own concepts.

Takuan

Reads like Dalton was just pulling a number out of his ass, rather than explicitly saying "if we don't sell 4 mil, there won't be a Darksiders 3".

Still, :lol. Good luck with that. Has any single player action title in this vein sold that amount? I don't even think God of War 3 has reached those numbers, yet.

ironcreed

Banned
Here is the thing, no matter how fantastic this game is, it is still going to be an underdog going into the holiday season. It may get glowing reviews and be a breakout hit, but once October rolls around, the staus quo will move on to the usual suspects and sales for this will slow down. They may realistically hit 2 million or so tops, but 4-5 million in this market? Not going to happen. Sad to see such a promising series in such an unfortunate situation.

Geoff9920

Reads like Dalton was just pulling a number out of his ass, rather than explicitly saying "if we don't sell 4 mil, there won't be a Darksiders 3".

Still, :lol. Good luck with that. Has any single player action title in this vein sold that amount? I don't even think God of War 3 has reached those numbers, yet.
Agreed, it was definitely a hypothetical example rather than "Jason said we had to sell 4-5 Million".

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
How well did the first game do commercially?

Also ... this is basically the biggest test for THQ right now, it has to perform well in order for them to stay alive, sadly.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev

You're right, I did just pull the number out of my ass. I wanted to drive home that this needs to be a commercial success for us to do another one.

H

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why do companies keep using the 5 million sold number as a benchmark for success? So few games hit that number that it makes no sense to aim for it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Serious question, is 4-5 million unreasonable? I mean Portal 2, which is part of kind of a niche puzzle platformer genre, sold 4 mil in about a year. Shouldn't Darksiders have more of a...bro...appeal?

Portal isnt niche. It has more general appeal than DS thats for sure

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Let me just make this clear, Jason or THQ, have not set a ridiculous high target of 4-5 million units to sell..because, well, that's just insane. Our goal as developers is to make the most fun games. Publishers have to make money with commercially viable product. It's not rocket science. If Darksiders II comes out, more than covers it's costs and is considered a great success by the Publishers, it makes a very compelling reason to do something else with that franchise.

Simple as that.

H

Sid

I can imagine that Darksiders 2 will sell decently on Wii U, considering that it's Zelda-like nature should resonate rather well with the Nintendo fanbase and that it's probably one of the few solid titles available at launch. It's not going to be a smash-hit though, obviously.

Honestly i don't think so,despite being similar to zelda in terms of gameplay it doesn't have the kiddy presentation or is a long running nintendo franchise,i still think the wiiu port won't be much of a help and dks 2's fanbase would most likely buy the ps3/360 or pc version or even pick up a ps3 or 360 for dks2 and due to their ps360's libraries and the wiiu port being a late one further dampens it's chances to sell well

ironcreed

Banned
You're right, I did just pull the number out of my ass. I wanted to drive home that this needs to be a commercial success for us to do another one.

H

It's obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt that you guys went all out on this game in just about every area. In an age of 4-5 hour shooters with emphasis on multiplayer dominating the market, it's always nice when a content-packed single player experience with an old school approach comes around to stir the pot and remind people of what games used to be like. I'll be pulling for you guys at Vigil and am really looking forward to the game.

Labadal

Let me just make this clear, Jason or THQ, have not set a ridiculous high target of 4-5 million units to sell..because, well, that's just insane. Our goal as developers is to make the most fun games. Publishers have to make money with commercially viable product. It's not rocket science. If Darksiders II comes out, more than covers it's costs and is considered a great success by the Publishers, it makes a very compelling reason to do something else with that franchise.

Simple as that.

H

You're probably not allowed to talk about this, but how much does the game actually have to sell to break even? I'm reading that most of THQ's games need to seel 2 million+ to be considered a success.

I don't like the sound of a smaller scaled Darksiders III, but it's to early to tell. Maybe Darksiders II is so big, it creates unreasonable costs.

Simple as that.

H

So then 1-2 million?

Takuan

H
I'd like to see more work come out of your studio, Darksiders or not, so I'm rooting for you despite the skepticism.

TriGen

So then 1-2 million?

Darksiders has sold 1.2M, I would guess they would hope to double that at least. I actually was surprised to see DS1 sell that well considering the lack of notice upon it's release. If the break-even point for South Park RPG is 2M I would guess it's similar for this.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
You're probably not allowed to talk about this, but how much does the game actually have to sell to break even? I'm reading that most of THQ's games need to seel 2 million+ to be considered a success.

I don't like the sound of a smaller scaled Darksiders III, but it's to early to tell. Maybe Darksiders II is so big, it creates unreasonable costs.

I can't talk about numbers, but I can talk about my comments. I was mainly referring to the size of the world. Reducing overall physical size doesn't reduce the quality of the product, it helps the people you have, focus more on the content. The larger the content, the wider the spread. It's a simple equation.

H

HoosTrax

Its silly that THQ has such talented developers, and yet they're struggling to get by.
Lots of bad decisions made with regards to some of their other divisions. I do hope that they stay afloat, if only because whatever happens or doesn't happen with Darksiders III, it'd be far worse if Vigil had to be sold off and the game got the Dead Space 3 treatment.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
4-5 million copies... Jesus!

They are releasing the title in late fucking August and it's going to fight against 3-5 titles with-in 2-3 weeks of it's release

Don't forget early September when Borderlands 2 comes out and wipes everyone's sales away

Then the usual October to Late November slaughter-fest occurs

If it even reaches 2 million by Thanksgiving it would be an outstanding achievement
There is 0 commercial appeal to casuals
It doesn't offer that "bandwagon effect", say a COD/BF

The game resonates with hardcore/core/zelda clone/WoW players
Problem now is WoW is releasing it's expansion in September... so some of those sales go away

If this game sells 5 million with-in this year, then no company can ever bitch about sales under-performing, because everyone will bring up DSII as the qualm to that issue

Its silly that THQ has such talented developers, and yet they're struggling to get by.

uDraw HD version (PS3/360, Wii sold very well) murdered them, they went from stable with a small bleeding wound to life support due to GSW (gun shot wound) to the brain

Also Homefront was pushed to the moon with budget + marketing... didn't work out as planned

Dyno

2nd edit: what the fuck even if does do that well they will reduce the scope?

Yeah... What am I to take away from that statement? Was it a troubled project? Did they have problems bringing their vision into the game? Is it low rez or jaggy because of the size of the world? Is the scope now something they regret? Will there be a lack of polish?

My inheirent anxiety allows me to form another twenty lines of questions like that.

Labadal

I can't talk about numbers, but I can talk about my comments. I was mainly referring to the size of the world. Reducing overall physical size doesn't reduce the quality of the product, it helps the people you have, focus more on the content. The larger the content, the wider the spread. It's a simple equation.

H

I do agree. If the quality is there, I'm happy. It was there in your first game and it seems like it will be there in the sequel.

Top Bottom