• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Mainly that there wasn't enough localization -- vocal songs were left as the Japanese versions of the songs, and the theatre clips too were left untouched from the Japanese version of the game.

Wait, are you complaining the songs are actually in Japanese? That should be a plus, not a minus.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, now that I have a 3DS XL I definitely need to pick this game up... but I seem to remember seeing the first print of the game having a different case (a white cardboard case to cover the usual 3DS game case). Was I just imagining things? Some GameStop employees say that case exists but it's all rare... but I can't find anything on ebay or Amazon marketplace about it.

Anybody who picked this up at launch know what I'm talking about? Were there any special slipcovers or preorder bonuses?

rpmurphy

So, now that I have a 3DS XL I definitely need to pick this game up... but I seem to remember seeing the first print of the game having a different case (a white cardboard case to cover the usual 3DS game case). Was I just imagining things? Some GameStop employees say that case exists but it's all rare... but I can't find anything on ebay or Amazon marketplace about it.

Anybody who picked this up at launch know what I'm talking about? Were there any special slipcovers or preorder bonuses?
Those were display covers that played sample music, not something special for first prints. I saw them at my local GameStop.

Wait, are you complaining the songs are actually in Japanese? That should be a plus, not a minus.

Not necessarily. I think the English version of Melodies of Life is much nicer to listen to than the Japanese version, and this is coming from someone who likes a lot of Japanese music.

EDIT: This week's U.S. DLC is up!

EDIT 2: Now with YouTube links for those who want to preview before buying.

"The Decisive Battle" (FF V, BMS)
"Dark City Treno" (FF IX, FMS)
"Final Battle" (FF X, BMS)
"Boss Battle" (FF XII, BMS)

Hell yes. Been waiting a long time for FF X's final battle theme... :D Kinda disappointed in the FF V track, though... for some reason I had it in my head that "The Decisive Battle" was FF V's boss theme, which I really like. Oh well.

Javier

For those still on the fence on getting this game in America, the demo will become available in the US eShop when it updates in a couple of hours.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yay, Type-0 DLC track finally. I was getting worried.

September's schedule:

Thursday, September 6, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VIII “The Extreme”
FINAL FANTASY XII “Esper Battle”
FINAL FANTASY IV “Fight 2”
FINAL FANTASY II “Dungeon”

Thursday, September 13, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VIII “The Castle”
FINAL FANTASY XII “The Battle for Freedom”
FINAL FANTASY I “Undersea Shrine”
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 “What Becomes of Us”

Thursday, September 20, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VIII “Force Your Way”
FINAL FANTASY XI “Ragnarok”
FINAL FANTASY I “Matoya’s Cave”
FINAL FANTASY II “Tower of Mages”

I expect Europe won't get the Type-0 track, just as we seem to have skipped the versus XIII track. Idiots.

I think you might be a bit confused. The US already got the Versus XIII track and we're getting the Type-0 one in September, so Europe should be getting the Versus XIII track this September as well. I'm pretty sure every territory is getting every track.

Excited about September's DLC, especially the FF VIII tracks. Kinda sad to see the DLC schedule end, but it had to happen sometime...

Javier

RlgQj.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yay, Type-0 DLC track finally. I was getting worried.

September's schedule:

FINAL FANTASY VIII “The Extreme”
FINAL FANTASY XII “Esper Battle”
FINAL FANTASY II “Dungeon”

Thursday, September 13, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VIII “The Castle”
FINAL FANTASY XII “The Battle for Freedom”
FINAL FANTASY I “Undersea Shrine”
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 “What Becomes of Us”

Thursday, September 20, 2012
FINAL FANTASY VIII “Force Your Way”
FINAL FANTASY XI “Ragnarok”
FINAL FANTASY I “Matoya’s Cave”
FINAL FANTASY II “Tower of Mages”

Seven days before TGS. It has some form of western existence now.

Robin64

I think you might be a bit confused. The US already got the Versus XIII track and we're getting the Type-0 one in September, so Europe should be getting the Versus XIII track this September as well. I'm pretty sure every territory is getting every track.

Europe was following, exactly, the Japanese release packs. Then when it got to a vXIII song, they skipped it and started instead bringing a song in from Japan's next pack. So it really does feel skipped and not just "coming later". I hope to hear otherwise, though!

I'm having a hard time tracking down a reasonably priced copy of this game, from a retailer who ships to Australia (I have a US import 3DSXL). Can someone help me out with a recommendation please? It needs to be a US copy. I see that Gamestop have it for $29.99... Unfortunately they don't ship out here. eBay is asking for $80+ for 'Buy it Now'. :(

I'm having a hard time tracking down a reasonably priced copy of this game, from a retailer who ships to Australia (I have a US import 3DSXL). Can someone help me out with a recommendation please? It needs to be a US copy. I see that Gamestop have it for $29.99... Unfortunately they don't ship out here. eBay is asking for $80+ for 'Buy it Now'. :(

I use to get heaps of stuff from Gamestop sent to New Zealand, did they stop sending Internationally?

rpmurphy

60 hours in and finally maxed out Rhythmia. Still left to do: unlock rest of characters, get SS in everything but ultimate BMS (easy ones aside), then SS every ultimate BMS stage. Only about half way so it could probably be easily another 40 hours to do these...

By the way, I just noticed today that the game's price is now $30 at GameStops. When did that happen?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Oh man. Can't wait for FF8 - The Extreme to hit PAL. Such a sublime song.

Try EB. A friend of mine managed to snag a copy there for $40. I was genuinely surprised.

JosiahB

Hey guys, I'm interested in this game but I have a question about it. I haven't really played any FF games, but plan to at some point. How heavy are the spoilers in Theatrhythm? Is there any way I can kind of just skip the songs that may contain spoilers? Thanks.

Heropon

Hey guys, I'm interested in this game but I have a question about it. I haven't really played any FF games, but plan to at some point. How heavy are the spoilers in Theatrhythm? Is there any way I can kind of just skip the songs that may contain spoilers? Thanks.

It's almost impossible to play this game and not be spoilered. You have to beat each game in Series Mode to unlock their songs in Challenge Mode, meaning that you have to play the Event Song and that spoils important plot points including twists and important bosses. The battle songs are dangerous too because some of the monsters are walking spoilers, so that means that only playing DLC songs isn't a solution either. If that wasn't enough, in the main menu a character appears and can say something spoilerific.

The only solution to not be spoilered is not reading what the characters say and only play DLC field songs! Maybe you can play the FFXI songs too, the EMS is only the opening CG.

JosiahB

It's almost impossible to play this game and not be spoilered. You have to beat each game in Series Mode to unlock their songs in Challenge Mode, meaning that you have to play the Event Song and that spoils important plot points including twists and important bosses. The battle songs are dangerous too because some of the monsters are walking spoilers, so that means that only playing DLC songs isn't a solution either. If that wasn't enough, in the main menu a character appears and can say something spoilerific.

The only solution to not be spoilered is not reading what the characters say and only play DLC field songs! Maybe you can play the FFXI songs too, the EMS is only the opening CG.

I see. I'll hold off on getting the game for now. Thanks for the info!

Try Play-Asia I think they have it. If not your only recourse is to find a very trustworthy gaffer to help you.

Edit: Looks like they are out of stock.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
You either didnt read the post (fyi 3DS has region lock) or if you mean "EB Games"... thats Gamestop too.

You're right. I was drunk. Or something.

As for EB Games, that's the only store from that chain in Australia. We don't have Gamestop.

Effect

What kind of content would one be missing out on if they just played the songs on Basic and Expert?

I've been playing the demo and expert seems to be my limit. I simply can't react quickly enough to anywhere near decent on ultimate. So if I do get the game chances are I won't ever be able tackle that. Is it just a difficulty setting and won't cause me to miss out on any content?

Would I still be able to get the best rankings or would they only be obtainable on the ultimate setting?

Thanks.

What kind of content would one be missing out on if they just played the songs on Basic and Expert?

I've been playing the demo and expert seems to be my limit. I simply can't react quickly enough to anywhere near decent on ultimate. So if I do get the game chances are I won't ever be able tackle that. Is it just a difficulty setting and won't cause me to miss out on any content?

Would I still be able to get the best rankings or would they only be obtainable on the ultimate setting?

Thanks.

Well, by not completing a song on Ultimate the only thing you'll really be missing out on (besides some trophies) is not unlocking the ultimate difficulty for Series Mode. Just know that you can always do practice mode for the Ultimate difficulty

Please tell someone has figured out the third and final password for the Locke Collectacard

I get that password and I'll finally have all the platinum cards

That chipmunk song that's the EMS stage for Final Fantasy X is ear torture.

And I'm still not sure what's worse about it, the song itself, or the embarrassing FMV playing in the background.

ANYWAY, I finally pulled myself away from Chaos Shrine and banged out Expert Mode, Perfect Chained Basic and am chipping away at the Critical Charts. I finished up some of the more obnoxious trophies (share fifty different bylines, played practice and demo fifty times) so I'm feeling good about getting the rest.

The hundred extended stages trophy is pretty mean though. EMS stages are blech.

Javier

That chipmunk song that's the EMS stage for Final Fantasy X is ear torture.

And I'm still not sure what's worse about it, the song itself, or the embarrassing FMV playing in the background.
You mean Suteki Da Ne? That's one of my favorites. Really pretty song.

Man..the Kid Icarus stand is awesome for when I record some Theatrhythm gameplay. I purposely stopped playing until I received my XL and now I've become addicted all over again. What a great game. I hope some of you were able to pick it up when Gamestop had it for $29.99.

I recorded some Dark Note gameplay:

No.99 Mv.10 Dark Note (which is "Eternal Wind" from FF3 and "Battle Theme 2" from FF2)
http://youtu.be/Gc1onq-tW4g?hd=1

No.99 Mv.95 Dark Note (which is The Sunleth Waterscape (from FF XIII) and The Man with the Machine Gun (from FF VIII)
http://youtu.be/wqKr_bB9B4k?hd=1

Damn those rotating arrows! Love the added challenge though.

I still haven't purchased a screen protector so I'm trying to play as lightly as I can lol.

So far, I've purchased 9 DLC songs..all of them are BMS tracks. Eventually, I'll purchase all of them. Maybe next weekend i'll pick up another 5 songs.

Each day, I'll try to record more Ultimate/Dark Notes gameplay.

Borman

DLC is locked to the 3ds, and not the cart, right? Im arguing with myself over if I buy some content using my 3ds XL, and play it on that, or wait until my modded 3ds getting here and use the USB capture feature to do direct feed video. Decisions decisions.

Top Bottom